IGNORED

Club website content is very poor (Merged)

bcfcnick

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Couldn't agree more...felt like I was sat in the boardroom being presented with some poorly put together video, aimed at people with the attention span of a nat.

The Club imo, are misunderstanding the difference between running a business and running a business that is dependent on fans and not just customers.

There is a huge difference...

For the first time in many years i'm actually feeling a bit 'meh' about this season...nothing to do with the playing side...but it just doesn't feel like a Club anymore to me, and it's things like that this, that add to that feeling. It all adds up over time.

Others have said similar to me as well this year...it will be interesting to see how much revenue the club generate this year, as I have a feeling it will be a lot less than they are predicting to make.

I think they’ve misinterpreted the mood and got carried away with the massive surge of interest / demand around the Manchester games

i confess that the modern world of hits and retweets is not my domain but as much as they may resonate with the odd new younger fan it appears they are alienating themselves from a large chunk of the established fan base

Difficult calls , but they can alienate fans in many ways

A very sensible chap who sits behind me , a season ticket holder for over 30yrs and all he’s seen and survived , is seriously considering this will be his last year -

Has become disillusioned with Club squeezing every last penny out of loyal fans and what has sent him over the edge was ....

....having to pay top / full price for his tickets for Manchester games (ie Season Ticket holders with his type loyalty not getting even £5 off) 

With all the soundbites aimed at the younger generation, it's fine for now, but those soundbites don't get inside the soul of a youngster and the passion for the club won't grow deep. It will have a knock on effect as in years to come, as those youngsters won't have the pull like many of us developed over the years. They will find other things to do to occupy their time and money.

Today's culture is about having things now and having it easy.

Unfortunately following this club is the complete opposite...it's an absolute ball ache to go and watch games...everything needs planning way ahead. So much so, it's put many off bothering to travel and follow.

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

With all the soundbites aimed at the younger generation, it's fine for now, but those soundbites don't get inside the soul of a youngster and the passion for the club won't grow deep. It will have a knock on effect as in years to come, as those youngsters won't have the pull like many of us developed over the years. They will find other things to do to occupy their time and money.

Today's culture is about having things now and having it easy.

Unfortunately following this club is the complete opposite...it's an absolute ball ache to go and watch games...everything needs planning way ahead. So much so, it's put many off bothering to travel and follow.

Very true, the excitement of a Saturday game is now very much tempered by the thought of how do I get there.

Will I get a soaking if I cycle, can I get parked if I drive, shall I bus it and take over 90 mins and 3 buses to get back from somewhere just over 6 miles away.

It's become a real challenge.

Almost easier to just go to away games!

14 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

No doubt it's not coincidental as Adam Baker did an excellent job but the current website content is now dismal at best.

Last season's reasonably in-depth interviews of 10 minutes or more have been replaced with highly edited quotes from LJ and one selected player lasting about 90 seconds with supermarket style advertising music in the background. Last seasons interviews might not have contained the most incisive questions but they were massively better than the current thin marketing dross. 

Last season there would also either be audio or sometimes video of the entire pre-match press conference.  This season there is a brief written summary at best.  It's all a bit superficial, highly spun and more in line with the work a London glossy marketing company rather than a football club with a bit of heart and soul that is deeply rooted in the community.  

Instead of watering down the content and substance, the marketing team would be better leaving the content to someone with a feel for football and the Club. Currently I get the impression they think all fans have the attention span of a gold fish and represent a 60 second marketing opportunity.   If those responsible for the site and promoting the Club want to keep themselves busy then they should focus on and rectify issues like  Birmingham City heading the front page of Google and dominating 90% of the front page when anyone searches for BCFC.  

It's not a co-incidence at all. Adam Baker was ditched by Bristol Sport in a far from satisfactory way at the end of last season. He obviously hasn't said anything about it on here or elsewhere, but I know that his dad is so angry & upset about the way that he was treated, he is not coming to Ashton Gate any more.

The Rob Newman mistaken photo aside, Adam is/was a football and City fan. After all the attention with the goal GIFs last season, even before it went a bit mental after the Man United game, it seemed like the media team were doing a great job. But obviously someone wasn't happy.... And so now, we are dependent on the awful Bristol Live website (it's not even the Bristol,let alone Evening, Post any more) for full interviews online. That the club's own website has worse content is really a sign of how poor it is.

And as for BCTV and it's poor camera angles and useless commentary....

Lots of sod ulation on Adam leaving / being forced out.

I wonder if discussions we the way the media was going to go in 18/19 was a key factor and either:

- he wasn’t happy with the proposed way forward and left

- felt it left his position untensble

- was forced out because he voiced opinion on it

It doesn’t matter which or whether they’re wide of the mark....the media was fantastic last season for the type if fan who really wants to get inside the detail (like me).  They;ve seriously diluted my content.

Some fans will think it’s great.

39 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Very true, the excitement of a Saturday game is now very much tempered by the thought of how do I get there.

Will I get a soaking if I cycle, can I get parked if I drive, shall I bus it and take over 90 mins and 3 buses to get back from somewhere just over 6 miles away.

It's become a real challenge.

Almost easier to just go to away games!

And a contributing fact to why I haven't bought a season ticket this year.

I considered going to the Plymouth game, then saw the traffic.... and the public transport is just not feasible to me...so didn't bother.

I'll be picking and choosing my games this season...far more attractive things to do with my time and money these days.

Shame as the passion runs deep...it's a bit like a drawn out divorce :laugh:

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Lots of sod ulation on Adam leaving / being forced out.

I wonder if discussions we the way the media was going to go in 18/19 was a key factor and either:

- he wasn’t happy with the proposed way forward and left

- felt it left his position untensble

- was forced out because he voiced opinion on it

It doesn’t matter which or whether they’re wide of the mark....the media was fantastic last season for the type if fan who really wants to get inside the detail (like me).  They;ve seriously diluted my content.

Some fans will think it’s great.

The problem when diluting all the info and making it soundbites, is that it gives the supporter a less informed education on what's going on at the Club.

As someone else said...this will backfire on the Club and it's players and manager.

It creates an even bigger culture of less understanding but more demanding.

Pressure will develop on the manager and owners when things don't go the way in which the supporter wants.

They will voice anger with no reasoning or understanding of the whole situation.

Pretty much how Politics and the Brexit situation has panned out recently...very little info...people voting and giving voice with no understanding of why or what will happen, based on presumption from the very little info given out. All dumbed down for an increasingly less informed society.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

The problem when diluting all the info and making it soundbites, is that it gives the supporter a less informed education on what's going on at the Club.

As someone else said...this will backfire on the Club and it's players and manager.

It creates an even bigger culture of less understanding but more demanding.

Pressure will develop on the manager and owners when things don't go the way in which the supporter wants.

They will voice anger with no reasoning or understanding of the whole situation.

Pretty much how Politics and the Brexit situation has panned out recently...very little info...people voting and giving voice with no understanding of why or what will happen, based on presumption from the very little info given out. All dumbed down for an increasingly less informed society.

Noooooooo, you’ve brought Brexit to OTIB.  OTIB is my break from my wife talking about Brexit.  She’ll be signing up for this forum next! ?

The App is next to useless and the website this season has taken a big turn for the worse. 

I did find the club Twitter to be quite useful in the past but now it’s just littered with emojis and is like a child is running it. Avoid.

Any content on Instagram just links to players accounts, insulting when losing TBH. 

Sadly, long gone are the days of Beanhead and content being created for the fans by a fan. 

BCFC/Bristol Sport is losing it’s soul. Or is it already gone?

37 minutes ago, spudski said:

And a contributing fact to why I haven't bought a season ticket this year.

I considered going to the Plymouth game, then saw the traffic.... and the public transport is just not feasible to me...so didn't bother.

I'll be picking and choosing my games this season...far more attractive things to do with my time and money these days.

Shame as the passion runs deep...it's a bit like a drawn out divorce :laugh:

There wasn't much traffic round Ashton Gate.

Echo a lot of the sentiment already.

I like some of the new soundbite content and there is plenty of variety of articles on the website, but it's all very diluted.

Agreed that the club should and must bring back the extended or full interviews as an option for the fans who want the whole thing.

16 hours ago, The_Don said:

It’s absolutely dismal this season, always enjoyed listening to full pre match press conference and the 5/6 minute interviews with a different player each week.  

Really dislike the new 60 second gimmick filled dirge and tweeted the club a few days back and had no response unsuprisingly, maybe @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO can shed some light on the new, diluted content or at least ask the question of the media department? 

I'll pass the feedback to the media team for you. 

Matt

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Last season I pointed out to Adam that the picture of Rob Newman on the Hall of Fame page of the website, is not in fact Rob Newman.

It is David Smith of the 1989-90 promotion team. He said that he got the picture off the internet and that it is correct - Rob Newman.

Well it isn't so perhaps somebody from the club will now sort it out because it's an insult to Rob Newman to leave it as it is.

So second rate aren't we.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

Ive made the media team aware. Pro Set appear to use the same image too fro Rob Newman (see image). If anyone has a photo to share feel free to send me a copy. 

Rob Newman.jpg

12 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

How can they get it soon right last season, yet so wrong this one? 

How much of this thread have you read? 

The first paragraph of the opening post gives you a pretty strong clue!

18 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

No doubt it's not coincidental as Adam Baker did an excellent job but the current website content is now dismal at best.

1 hour ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Ive made the media team aware. Pro Set appear to use the same image too fro Rob Newman (see image). If anyone has a photo to share feel free to send me a copy. 

Rob Newman.jpg

Try Google - after trawling through the pictures of the comedian, you’ll easily find the footballer.

On 17/08/2018 at 22:04, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I have noticed the quality is awful and what's the crack with the word clouds in the videos very amateur.

I made it through half a one minute video of LJ's boro's presser edit. Embarrassing. Our media team would no doubt be able to edit 'War and Peace' down to a couple of sides of A4. In 24 point comic sans.

27 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I made it through half a one minute video of LJ's boro's presser edit. Embarrassing. Our media team would no doubt be able to edit 'War and Peace' down to a couple of sides of A4. In 24 point comic sans.

The site is poor...lacks any real editorial identity, the press conference thing looks like someone playing with a new toy...

..but more worryingly, having not heard it before the game, what struck me as more concerning was the complete disconnect between the way Johnson suggested we'd be approaching the game said and the match we witnessed yesterday!

I've worked with plenty of content teams in the past, and in my experience loads of them are straight out of university and couldn't give the slightest of shits about what they are writing about. Add an editor to oversee things that has too much on, and they ultimately just let whatever through onto the site.

Since they don't care, they won't care what's written on this site, so the best way to highlight stupid content issues is to tweet the club about it. Once it reaches the club via social media, they (hopefully) will be more receptive to sorting things out.

I have been trying to watch the free highlights this morning and all the link does is take me to the BCTV sign in page. Even after signing in, still cant watch the videos.

Is this unique to me or just another issue with the decline of the service/official web site?

Archived