IGNORED

The Bristol City v Middlesbrough Match Day 3

43 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

I know lame - imagine considering the quality of the opposition we were playing. I mean what bearing could that possibly have on a match. 

Our current malaise/predicament/blip/situation is primarily to do with us, and what we do, and the decisions we make, or do not make. And our strengths and weaknesses. To continually refer to the opposition and their wealth and so on, as has happened now two games out of three on here, is to absolve ourselves of responsibility and agency, and to begin to succumb to helplessness.

Millwall, with less resource than us, made rather a better fist of playing MBoro, and saw off Derby today. So, we have the resources to win any one game (doing better over 46 games is considerably more difficult) so other than injuries, where were we lacking as a club/team/coo/coach etc today? What could we do better or different?

I hope this is what LJ and Co is thinking, rather than your passive/helpless "bigger budget teams" type thinking there. I believe there will be options open to us to do better than today.

5 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Our current malaise/predicament/blip/situation is primarily to do with us, and what we do, and the decisions we make, or do not make. And our strengths and weaknesses. To continually refer to the opposition and their wealth and so on, as has happened now two games out of three on here, is to absolve ourselves of responsibility and agency, and to begin to succumb to helplessness.

Millwall, with less resource than us, made rather a better fist of playing MBoro, and saw off Derby today. So, we have the resources to win any one game (doing better over 46 games is considerably more difficult) so other than injuries, where were we lacking as a club/team/coo/coach etc today? What could we do better or different?

I hope this is what LJ and Co is thinking, rather than your passive/helpless "bigger budget teams" type thinking there. I believe there will be options open to us to do better than today.

(not particularly in reference to this post)

As somebody who appears to have  just joined the forum

Have enjoyed reading your posts and thoughts

Have made some really good thought provoking points

Welcome

Good signing for OTIB

16 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

This discussion is ongoing, there seems to be a lot of discrepancy between what is and what isn't a good chance, the stats say we never created a clear cut chance and I agree, I cannot recall a 'how the **** did he miss that' moment, the keeper made one good save and we hit the woodwork twice all from speculative efforts and we totally missed the target from all of the other speculative efforts, a bit of bad luck maybe but speculative efforts sometimes go in and sometimes they don't.

You'd hope one goes in..woodwork twice, their keeper tipper over also.

I thought we deserved at least one goal for our 2nd half efforts...but at the same time also think Middlesbrough played within themselves 2nd half.

Like a rather negative version of Brighton in November 2016. They went in 2 up at half time then kept their shape etc, like today.

Agree that clearcut chances are hard to define.

LJ more or less summed up what I have been saying, that we never used the width enough and never made enough forward passing moves, in short we run out ideas in and around the box.

Hunt, Brownhill and Paterson all got into very good positions with time to look up and pick out a cross and none of them found one of our players, Paterson, Watkins and ODowda and Taylor all tried skipping across the 18 yard line turning and trying to go in the opposite direction when confronted by a defender, Middlesborough could have dealt with that all day long, what was missing was threading a forward pass into the box, but we do not possess that player and haven't for 3 years, maybe the penny has finally dropped for him, not holding my breath, the only thing missing from his post match interview was the 'no leaders' speech, I don't see any what you would call leaders signed in the summer, the more I think about it the more disappointed I am with our summer recruitment and we are certainly a weaker squad.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You'd hope one goes in..woodwork twice, their keeper tipper over also.

I thought we deserved at least one goal for our 2nd half efforts...but at the same time also think Middlesbrough played within themselves 2nd half.

Like a rather negative version of Brighton in November 2016. They went in 2 up at half time then kept their shape etc, like today.

Agree that clearcut chances are hard to define.

Ah hope something we might need to be resigned to for the rest of the season.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Ah hope something we might need to be resigned to for the rest of the season.

I am of the view that we won't go down...

QPR look very weak so far. Bolton are a surprise package after 3 games but I'd be surprised if they can keep it up. Rotherham will struggle clearly, Ipswich may miss McCarthy more than they think. Sheffield Wednesday and Hull don't look fantastic, Birmingham with several senior players frozen out won't be brilliant. Norwich could be surprise strugglers (think they'll be mid table however). Reading will surely stay up but 3 losses in 3 is it.

Not grounds for optimism in terms of a strong season, but grounds perhaps to believe we can reach midtable or lower midtable.

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Seeing the goals back

Wtf was Webster doing / thinking for the first goal

Ducking instead of going and heading the ********** ball

😡

Any player who ducks out of the way of a shot should be immediately dropped; alas we do not have the luxury of squad depth.

Seriously though, see this time and again in the Prem and see how much they are paid.