IGNORED

I will start it!

Langford Red

15 hours ago, 054123 said:

I dont actually think Lee Johnson needs to go.

What needs to happen is people need to realise the model here is not related to promotion to the premier. It’s a rigged game and you either join in or you don’t go up.

i admire what Lansdown is trying to achieve, but it isn’t premier league football.

Make peace with that and the world is a better place.

It’s one thing to realise that the ‘model here is not related to promotion to the premier’ but we’re on a model which is related to league 1. 

12 hours ago, CityBS15 said:

Some of the clowns ? on this thread are LOLZ..... Huffing and puffing at Johnson... do you actually think he makes the signings.......he's a puppet on a string I actually feel for the guy to be fair...........open your eyes 

If that is the case then,if he had any pride and he was opposed to the signings and approach he should come out and say so.  If it got him the sack I’m sure he’d walk away with sizeable compensation. 

To all leave merchants.  Tell me what happens next ? 

The players like it or not are LJ. He has had his windows. Also to go would have to Bev JM and DH. Part of management Team. Equally responsible . Then a new man comes in (Warnock please and more wailing) Another 3 years and how many windows to get his players in.  The cycle goes on and on. 

Like it or lump it he is here for the foreseeable. Forum in usual meltdown after defeat to a side costing fortunes. Is that really a surprise ??

17 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

It’s one thing to realise that the ‘model here is not related to promotion to the premier’ but we’re on a model which is related to league 1. 

That is certainly a debate to be had and if promotion is a ‘might be’ then avoiding relegation is ‘must’.

That would be disastrous and to be in division 3 with nothing to show for the last 15 years other than a football league trophy and a promotion from that division, would leave w lot of questions.

And yes, I get it, he developed the stadium. Thank you.

16 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

we get a loan left back from Chelsea we have no defenders and the lad is on the bench. why is the club allowing Johnson to sign players that don't go into the first team .it is a waste of a loan. if the lad is not fit or ready for the first team then why sign him. it's a joke. 

Don't shout at me because I ain't no little fan by any means.

Possible the reason the Chelsea guy wasn't picked today was purely down to his size and who we were playing against. Let's face it Boro had some big old lumps playing for them today.

2 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Don't shout at me because I ain't no little fan by any means.

Possible the reason the Chelsea guy wasn't picked today was purely down to his size and who we were playing against. Let's face it Boro had some big old lumps playing for them today.

I don't believe in the whole "size thing". It's very much a 20th century concept. 

My frustration is that last year, for half a season we were competitive in this division. We rode our luck and got some great wins.

Since then we’ve been awful. For 20 of those games we still had the big three (Flint, Bryan, Reid). 

Give us 10 games. We’ll then have a better idea where we are. If it hasn’t clicked by then I expect LJ to be under extreme pressure.

In my 35 years of support, we have never been a dominating and physical side. People talk about a spineless spine and in the same breath say “Smith and Pack were the best players” so which is it?

I just want us to compete at this level.

And would you really want to be Cardiff, Wolves or Fulham? 

8 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

So you wouldn't prefer Pisano defending a corner to the Chelsea lad ?

So you wouldn’t prefer the Chelsea lad attacking down the wing than Pisano?

I wouldn’t expect da Silva defending a corner in the 6 yard box. I would expect him near the 12 yard box to hit the counter attack. 

A little bit of financial truth. 

In the Championship a club can make losses over three years of £39 million without any FFP penalties. 

In League One that scenario is not allowed. The FFP rule in League One is that a club can only spend 60% of it's income on playing staff wages. 

Attendances will drop by 25/33%. It will really be a disaster this time should City be relegated. We won't be selling our best players to get cash for reinvestment. We will be giving them away to comply with the wages limit of 60% of income. 

In view of this can we afford to continue with the current Head Coach? 

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

I think in Steve Lansdown’s world we are one of the outlier clubs who maybe fill one promotion spot every now and again. If we did get promoted as one of these clubs, his hope is that all the investment and infrastructure that Bournemouth have never done, are already in place thus we have a better chance of retaining prem status.

I woudt say promotion is left to chance, but it’s almost a bi product of what he is doing.

If he wanted promotion within 3 or 4 years of running away with div 3, then he would have spent his money (and more of it) in other ways.

Believe me, I am not saying I agree with all that goes on, but ultimately Steve Lansdown in total control do you might as well buy in and seek some contentment.

If it means nothing more than we have a safe secure club with great facilities who play in the second tier of English football, well that has to be pretty good. It doesn’t mean we’ll never achieve promotion.

Tbh- the rules have changed since Bournemouth with draconian potential penalties. They went up at precisely the right time- maybe if we'd twisted rather than stuck a bit in January 2008, that could have been us...or we could have been Portsmouth or Blackpool- these things really can go many ways!

That said, I sort of agree. This model is all fine mostly, good to establish us as a good club at this level over time...to have a realistic crack at the next level- we'll need to roll the dice a few times over the years, choose one year wwhen we'd have built up a solid financial position to say something like:

'No. We have some wriggle room this season, no we're not selling this summer, with the possible exception of fringe players. Won't jeopardise the club but at the same time but (within reason) this year we go for it.

3 hours ago, 054123 said:

Are you happy with your house now? You shouldn’t be as I know for definite there is a nicer one available. Are you happy with your car now? You shouldn’t be as I know for sure there is a nicer one available. However, if you do find that you are happy it’s becsuse you are content with what you have managed to achieve within the limits you have. That is peace.

By your definition you would never be happy.

Do you control these factors? If not, can you effect change?

Unless you can answer yes to any of the above then your just wasting your energy making yourself unhappy.

As I posted elsewhere, the game is rigged. Steve Lansdown doesn’t want to join in and that’s fine, it doesn’t mean we’ll never go up, there are always outliers and exceptions to the rule. 

If all that makes us content is playing in the prem, in this awful, corrupt money soaked game, then contentment will elude us and ultimately so will happiness.

it does appear that that SL can't or wont pay the kind of wages fees for players that could take us up, and yes maybe we might have to do it another way, I hope he hasn't settled for just staying in the championship not that it's not a good place to be, would just like us to at least try to get there.

2 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

So you wouldn’t prefer the Chelsea lad attacking down the wing than Pisano?

I wouldn’t expect da Silva defending a corner in the 6 yard box. I would expect him near the 12 yard box to hit the counter attack. 

Exactly my point it's horses for courses mate,  yesterday we neededi the bigger man imo.

6 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

A little bit of financial truth. 

In the Championship a club can make losses over three years of £39 million without any FFP penalties. 

In League One that scenario is not allowed. The FFP rule in League One is that a club can only spend 60% of it's income on playing staff wages. 

Attendances will drop by 25/33%. It will really be a disaster this time should City be relegated. We won't be selling our best players to get cash for reinvestment. We will be giving them away to comply with the wages limit of 60% of income. 

In view of this can we afford to continue with the current Head Coach? 

I wonder how many have relegation wage decreases in their contracts or release clauses?  Tough to sell a club on the up and then tell them to read the small print re relegation!!

6 hours ago, bpexile said:

Another point that baffles me, Eliasson was arguably the highlight of our pre-season & LJ was very complimentary about him but he hasn't played in our last 2 games (unless I've made a blunder), is he injured or just out of favour again.

I think a lot of people pre-game saw the logic of Watkins in for Eliasson, Same Pisano and not Dasilva....size required versus a Boro.

In hindsight, we may have been better off imposing our little’uns on big Boro.  But we don’t know for sure.

I had no probs with the starting XI, I didn’t necessarily agree with the positions they played in.

Eliasson May well cone back in on Tuesday.  Sat here on Sunday afternoon, I can see this starting eleven:

Maenpaa | Hunt Webster Kelly Dasilva | Elissson Pack Brownhill O’Dowda | Eisa Weimann

On 18/08/2018 at 16:31, 054123 said:

I dont actually think Lee Johnson needs to go.

What needs to happen is people need to realise the model here is not related to promotion to the premier. It’s a rigged game and you either join in or you don’t go up.

i admire what Lansdown is trying to achieve, but it isn’t premier league football.

Make peace with that and the world is a better place.

I can't be that phlegmatic/pragmatic mate, not with what we should have going for us, especially with the size, historic and national importance of Bristol and therefore BCFC"s potential catchment. I cannot "make peace" as you say with the ideas of the rich involved in our Club. Unfortunately the pysche of the rich in Bristol seems to contain a hefty consignment of belief in "private wealth and public poverty", how else did we become one of the greatest slave trading cities in the World?( Having said that, Liverpool, another slavetrading city, seem to have managed quite well in football terms). So like many I am cursed being a BCFC supporter, whatever happens and however battered my hopes for my Club. Like John Cleese in "Clockwise" I can manage the dispair , it's the hope that ***ks up my life.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think a lot of people pre-game saw the logic of Watkins in for Eliasson, Same Pisano and not Dasilva....size required versus a Boro.

The thing is mate that means we were set-up with a "let's not lose" menatality which is always dangerous (giving more importance to the opposition"s game rather than our own). I think we should have got our nippy, skillful ones on, Elliasson and DaSilva and get the lead? Isn't that better pyschologically?

31 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

The thing is mate that means we were set-up with a "let's not lose" menatality which is always dangerous (giving more importance to the opposition"s game rather than our own). I think we should have got our nippy, skillful ones on, Elliasson and DaSilva and get the lead? Isn't that better pyschologically?

Don’t disagree.  Just saying a lot of us saw the logic, not that we agreed with it.

Personally, I was okay with the players selected.  Not gonna come on here and we wise after the event.  But I wasn’t convinced with the positions they were selected in.  That was more our downfall imho, although it did see a real emergence of Kelly as a CB option.

I was on hols for our first two league games, and if Eliasson was one our better players, he’ll be disappointed to have not started yesterday.

On 18/08/2018 at 17:03, chinapig said:

In his recent interview he would only say, and then rather reluctantly, that he wanted to finish higher than last season.

His top priority this year was evidently to realise the value in the squad to improve the club's finances. Making the club self sufficient is his key aim.

Do you buy that? If he had the chance to spend the monies we received in the past couple of months to provide a better opportunity to gain promotion he would grab it. Not only to benefit the club but further his career.

3 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Do you buy that? If he had the chance to spend the monies we received in the past couple of months to provide a better opportunity to gain promotion he would grab it. Not only to benefit the club but further his career.

I was referring to SL not LJ.

Archived