IGNORED

I will start it!

Langford Red

I'm going to present a different side to this discussion. This isn't a problem created by LJ it's not his ability to coach that's put us in this position, we have sold quality and and bought average. 

This is problem created high up in the club than LJ. 

I don’t think LJ will ever become a good manager.  He certainly isn’t one yet but the hope is that he’s young and will develop into something special.  I just can’t see any sign that this will ever happen.  Nothing personal with LJ, he no doubt loves the club and wants to do his best but I can’t see he has it in him.  Tinion loved the club but struggled at management but at least he showed self awareness and knew when it was time to move aside. Will LJ ever put his hands up and admit his own limitations?  

18 minutes ago, maxjak said:

So the Billionaire SL, who has invested credit free millions in our team and stadium, doesn't want access to the hundreds of millions available in the Premiership?...............Why not? Pray tell?

In his recent interview he would only say, and then rather reluctantly, that he wanted to finish higher than last season.

His top priority this year was evidently to realise the value in the squad to improve the club's finances. Making the club self sufficient is his key aim.

12 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

How much money did Blackpool spend to get to the prem??

There has been enormous inflation in fees and wages since then so they are not the best yardstick. Plus of course the consequences of their promotion have been dire.

Holloway is available though.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

In his recent interview he would only say, and then rather reluctantly, that he wanted to finish higher than last season.

His top priority this year was evidently to realise the value in the squad to improve the club's finances. Making the club self sufficient is his key aim.

That works in accountancy but not necessarily in football

Just now, oldstandrobin said:

That works in accountancy but not necessarily in football

I don't think it is actually achievable in the Championship but both MA and SL have made it pretty clear that promotion is not the main priority.

I wonder if they see parallels with the Dicks era. Though doing what he did over a 9 year period is much harder in the modern game as we cannot compete financially as we did then.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

This is what people seem slow, or reluctant, to grasp.

Sustainability is the Number One objective. If sustainability somehow delivers promotion to the PL, then jolly good. "We'll take that." 

I think there is an idea that this careful, prudent approach has delivered promotion for say Burnley - and that with an inexperienced English manager with no promotions to his name - and so it can or will for us. But that idea was dreamed up more than five years ago, when we were relegated. The Championship has moved on massively in the three years we have been back in it. It is an unforgiving beast, and it feels to me like it is chewing us up, or it will do without something in the "plan" or "project" being looked at.

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

I'm going to present a different side to this discussion. This isn't a problem created by LJ it's not his ability to coach that's put us in this position, we have sold quality and and bought average. 

This is problem created high up in the club than LJ. 

He’s had plenty of money and signed dozens of players over the last 2 years.

HE wanted to be judged after 3 transfer windows. 

The truth is that he’s signed a lot of players who are not Championship players. 

HE moans we have no leaders, but HE himself doesn’t sign leaders!.

I have real concerns about the squad HE has put together, I just don’t see any steel in it, I really think we are going to be a soft touch, and teams ( especially away from home) are going to bully us this season. 

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

I dont actually think Lee Johnson needs to go.

What needs to happen is people need to realise the model here is not related to promotion to the premier. It’s a rigged game and you either join in or you don’t go up.

i admire what Lansdown is trying to achieve, but it isn’t premier league football.

Make peace with that and the world is a better place.

Top post. Exactly this.  First thing then is that lansdown needs to shut up and stop mentioning it !!

1 hour ago, leadman said:

i dont blame lee j, owners this time, they raise the money and spend it,  zero ambition.

Oh come on, LJ has spent more money than any other City manager ever, he has been given money by the bucket full. 

Perhaps SL has realised that LJ just wont spend more money wisely. 

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

we get a loan left back from Chelsea we have no defenders and the lad is on the bench. why is the club allowing Johnson to sign players that don't go into the first team .it is a waste of a loan. if the lad is not fit or ready for the first team then why sign him. it's a joke. 

I think Pisano was more suited to this game in particular, due to his height and aerial ability helping us defend crosses and set pieces. Do you disagree?

I’m no fan of Lee Johnson but does anyone else find it weird that the almost unanimous verdict is that he’s a really bad manager and Dean Smith is a really good one, when their records read like a carbon copy of one another?

Is it because we (for some inexplicable reason) see ourselves as so much ‘bigger’ than Brentford?

@Hampshire reds

4 in 29 now...

@054123

You keep saying it's a rigged game, but in terms of our model what do you propose we do differently? Spend more money is one answer, but how viable is it at this stage? That said (I'm dreaming) if we loaned in Bettinelli and Tammy say we could I think afford it for a season.

@Portland Bill

His expenditure maybe higher...in relation to a) The competition and b) The context of the Championship of recent times however...?

On the financial point generally, it's possible entirely possible that Villa and Forest will get big points deductions this year as they are surely ignoring the system- through ignorance or defiance I'm unsure.

Middlesbrough and Norwich are cutting their cloth somewhat, Swansea appear to have been asset stripping a tad. Hull have been fairly restrained in the market. Derby despite their spending...selling Vydra showed they took it reasonably seriously.

Plus...breaking even and passing FFP two very different things. If our aim is literally zero losses or a real profit this season? We can only achieve that IMO in PL- or as a top half League One Club! 

If it's passing FFP but still allows losses, then it's achievable and so is retaining ambition and some wriggle room. As for actual zero losses though...at this level?

We wouldn't be a Championship side for very long I'm afraid. Quite a few poor sides this year or weakened sides so survival quite plausible but next season...

2 hours ago, CityBS15 said:

Some of the clowns ? on this thread are LOLZ..... Huffing and puffing at Johnson... do you actually think he makes the signings.......he's a puppet on a string I actually feel for the guy to be fair...........open your eyes 

If you believe that he doesn’t have the final say

Theres certainly one ‘clown’

6 hours ago, 054123 said:

Absolutely.

Again, make peace with who we are.

Id rather have a club that was here at a good level in 50 years time, than not at all.

Its why people like Flint and Bryan were prepared to leave us for other clubs at our level. It’s the same as when we drop to div 3 and pick up all the talent in the pool. They know we are serious about moving on from div 3 level. 

Villa snd boro are the same at this level.

Its alright.

no it's not, striving to improve what you already have is fundamental to the human psyche or we would all keep the same car or live in the first house we ever bought, what is the point of accepting something when there is something better out there, sorry but you are wrong this city and supporters should never accept anything other than being the best they can be,. and that is not where we are in my opinion, there are clubs currently outside the premier league ourselves included that could easily be there given the right investment, and I don't mean in just the players. 

7 hours ago, pillred said:

no it's not, striving to improve what you already have is fundamental to the human psyche or we would all keep the same car or live in the first house we ever bought, what is the point of accepting something when there is something better out there, sorry but you are wrong this city and supporters should never accept anything other than being the best they can be,. and that is not where we are in my opinion, there are clubs currently outside the premier league ourselves included that could easily be there given the right investment, and I don't mean in just the players. 

Are you happy with your house now? You shouldn’t be as I know for definite there is a nicer one available. Are you happy with your car now? You shouldn’t be as I know for sure there is a nicer one available. However, if you do find that you are happy it’s becsuse you are content with what you have managed to achieve within the limits you have. That is peace.

By your definition you would never be happy.

Do you control these factors? If not, can you effect change?

Unless you can answer yes to any of the above then your just wasting your energy making yourself unhappy.

As I posted elsewhere, the game is rigged. Steve Lansdown doesn’t want to join in and that’s fine, it doesn’t mean we’ll never go up, there are always outliers and exceptions to the rule. 

If all that makes us content is playing in the prem, in this awful, corrupt money soaked game, then contentment will elude us and ultimately so will happiness.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Hampshire reds

4 in 29 now...

@054123

You keep saying it's a rigged game, but in terms of our model what do you propose we do differently? Spend more money is one answer, but how viable is it at this stage? That said (I'm dreaming) if we loaned in Bettinelli and Tammy say we could I think afford it for a season.

@Portland Bill

His expenditure maybe higher...in relation to a) The competition and b) The context of the Championship of recent times however...?

On the financial point generally, it's possible entirely possible that Villa and Forest will get big points deductions this year as they are surely ignoring the system- through ignorance or defiance I'm unsure.

Middlesbrough and Norwich are cutting their cloth somewhat, Swansea appear to have been asset stripping a tad. Hull have been fairly restrained in the market. Derby despite their spending...selling Vydra showed they took it reasonably seriously.

Plus...breaking even and passing FFP two very different things. If our aim is literally zero losses or a real profit this season? We can only achieve that IMO in PL- or as a top half League One Club! 

If it's passing FFP but still allows losses, then it's achievable and so is retaining ambition and some wriggle room. As for actual zero losses though...at this level?

We wouldn't be a Championship side for very long I'm afraid. Quite a few poor sides this year or weakened sides so survival quite plausible but next season...

I think in Steve Lansdown’s world we are one of the outlier clubs who maybe fill one promotion spot every now and again. If we did get promoted as one of these clubs, his hope is that all the investment and infrastructure that Bournemouth have never done, are already in place thus we have a better chance of retaining prem status.

I woudt say promotion is left to chance, but it’s almost a bi product of what he is doing.

If he wanted promotion within 3 or 4 years of running away with div 3, then he would have spent his money (and more of it) in other ways.

Believe me, I am not saying I agree with all that goes on, but ultimately Steve Lansdown in total control do you might as well buy in and seek some contentment.

If it means nothing more than we have a safe secure club with great facilities who play in the second tier of English football, well that has to be pretty good. It doesn’t mean we’ll never achieve promotion.

Archived