IGNORED

Positives..?

Andy082005

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree with much of your post....but a shot against ‘the woodwork’ is a shot off target, I don’t get why people often quote the number of shots that hit a post or the bar....

We all know it’s a shot off target on the stats mate. But it’s still as close as you can get to scoring without actually doing so. 

A shot in the vague direction of the net from 40 yards is a shot on target on the stats, it means nothing. 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It was sponsored by Thatchers today....that might explain it.  [thats genuine too]

I thought he was poor, looked sluggish and appeared to lack trust in his touch.  Thought he was gonna get a red card too.  Seemed to lose the plot after tussle with the Boro player.  It wasn’t his fault in fairness, but he lost his cool.

He did lose his cool but I don’t think he was poor. He had their defenders chasing shadows at times, it’s a shame we didn’t take better advantage of it. He covered more ground in the first 5 minutes he was on than Paterson did all game!

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

We all know it’s a shot off target on the stats mate. But it’s still as close as you can get to scoring without actually doing so. 

A shot in the vague direction of the net from 40 yards is a shot on target on the stats, it means nothing. 

I don’t agree with that, how can a shot off target be ‘as close as you can get to scoring without actually doing so’?! Surely a shot on target that the keeper saves is closer to scoring than a shot off target?

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t agree with that, how can a shot off target be ‘as close as you can get to scoring without actually doing so’?! Surely a shot on target that the keeper saves is closer to scoring than a shot off target?

Ok. You’re just being needlessly pedantic. You can’t see that thrashing one against the inside of the post from a yard out is closer to a goal than a floated shot with no pace and no chance of going in the goal from 40 yards out?

Don’t despair! I’m in despair, we all got shafted for season ticket pricing, LJ stated we can’t get loans in because of finances, thinks we are all stupid -outgoings far surpassing incomings we don’t have any sensible backups in defence, we only have one real forward and he can’t play yet, constantly needing players to play out of position and some even suggesting Pato had a good game - he runs around going through the motions but rarely actually challenges anyone, in the last 20 games how many times has he actually won a ball in a tackle? Just sometimes he will receive the ball in space and actually do something positive with it,  but if he’s not in a wide open position he panics to get rid pretty damn quick, remind you of any one?

Here we are after another window, with no real forwards and a shockingly poor defence! Never before had much faith in Pack, but have to say he has developed into a superb midfielder and now a pretty good captain!

Come on Directors, last week you called on the fans to support the team - you owe us a team that is worth our support!

COYR

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Did you watch him? He was pulling their centre backs here there and everywhere. Almost every time we got in behind their back line came after his introduction 

Unfortunately we didn’t have the quality from anyone to take advantage of it. 

******* nonesence 

1 hour ago, CityCiderEd said:

Playing 442 means we always get overrun in midfield. For a head coach who is classed as innovative and progressive I find it baffling.

But those descriptions are all Bristol Sport and MA spin , nothing more.

Lots of jobs come up as manager and HC every season, and he is never linked to any other than by some twitter drongo's or HITC.

He is a HC that should be learning his trade in Div 1/2 not in the Championship

Ask yourself this, would he be the HC of BCFC if he was not close to the Lansdowns?

Or even more pertinent, if he was sacked tomorrow- obviously he won't be - how long would it be before he got another job at this level?

12 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

Playing 442 means we always get overrun in midfield. For a head coach who is classed as innovative and progressive I find it baffling.

I don’t think we got over-run yesterday.  They had the odd breakaway second half, but I thought we controlled possession, and I don’t think we got strung-out at all (my usual criticism).

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think we got over-run yesterday.  They had the odd breakaway second half, but I thought we controlled possession, and I don’t think we got strung-out at all (my usual criticism).

How much of that Dave

was us dominating or the fact that Boro made it clear they were comfortable at 2-0 to sit back and , let us , largely , huff n puff 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

How much of that Dave

was us dominating or the fact that Boro made it clear they were comfortable at 2-0 to sit back and , let us , largely , huff n puff 

I said elsewhere I suspect Boro had another gear.  But I still think that we started brightly, and controlled possession, and there were positives in Hunt getting in behind them twice in the first half, albeit there weren’t enough bright spots / opportunities.  I do think we were a bit unlucky that all of our midfield  had chances on their wrong foot outside the box, and wouldn’t give it a ‘swinger’.  I think we were alright yesterday, mindful of who our opponents were.  But these are the games where you expect us to raise ourselves a little and I don’t think we over-run them either.

My first view of Webster yesterday...he’s got some work to convince me.  Reminded me of Hegeler in many ways, but not as good.  It might be a wake up call that he needs to wake up / toughen up.

I liked what I saw from Hunt...shame about the goal....Webster owes him one!

Watkins - played out of position, he’ll offer more than that in other positions.

Weimann - classy.

18 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Come on, even the most negative must admit we didn’t get much luck today. Was it two or three of the woodwork? I don’t deny we lack quality but unfortunately we don’t have the resources that some teams do (£25m was it the combined cost of the two goal scorers today?) and probably the wages each of 2 or 3 of our best players  

I’m definitely not averse to a loan striker coming in if we can find anyone who genuinely improves the squad but we’re falling into the usual trap of trying to make up for defensive deficiencies by looking to add more goals (or ‘buy a striker’ syndrome as I call it, that we seem to suffer from as fans) 

Simply put you shouldn’t have to score 3 every week to win games. And the reason we do is because we’re soft as shit defensively. 

Ok we don't have the same resources as many other clubs in this division but neither do Preston who finished 1 point out of the play offs last year , consistently sell off their best players every season and still make a bloody good fist of it , what's the difference ?

Amongst other things I would suggest coaching .

35 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Ok we don't have the same resources as many other clubs in this division but neither do Preston who finished 1 point out of the play offs last year , consistently sell off their best players every season and still make a bloody good fist of it , what's the difference ?

Amongst other things I would suggest coaching .

I don't disagree. I think PNE do a fantastic job. 

They do what all good teams do and that's make it their absolute aim to not concede a goal. Build from the back. Be hard to break down and hard to beat.

We go the other way and are too attack focussed, 'buy a striker' syndrome as I call it.

When you set up as offensively as we do, you need the attacking quality to back that up, which we don't have. Because we basically disregard defensive solidity, we end up needing to score 2/3/4 routinely to win games, and we don't have the quality to do that.

Said it so many times before but a 0-0 is a lot better than a 3-4. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We played some lovely pass and move stuff, but I think (as @BobBobSuperBob said) much of that could have been because they had a 2 goal cushion and didn't need to do anything to win the game, just react. I think, in part it was Brownhill coming in off the wing and rotating with Korey (I thought his movement was good at times). 
I agree with your player reviews, but I like the look of Webster , at least on the ball. Needs to be stronger and attack the first ball more , but looks comfprtable on the ball. 
If you look at the key moments things didn't go our way (a lot of negatives I'll ignore for now), Webster ducked under the ball and we were unlucky it hits him, could go anywhere, ends up wrong footing Hunt and they score. Asombalonga is all over Hunt with both hands and the Ref ignores it. We had lots of the ball and were unlucky  with the woodwork but a lot of that comes through teams visibly sitting deeper at 2-0. 
I would be optimistic for when FD comes back, but I've seen how we can keep these runs going when they start.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@1960maaan agree with what you say about Webster with the ball, looks good, with the odd lapse with first touch.  I may have to get used to him not being as good defensively, if it is for the overall benefit.

They/we need to get used to the press though, too many times we needed up in a panic or hitting 50 yard punts. Later it was easier and we passed well, by the time they sat a bit deeper. I think more than ever it is the way Johnson wants to play and that's fine, but we need a ball winner in defence. Baker was that man, Wright could be, although maybe a little small, I hope Webster develops that part of his game. Yesterday , when he ducks, I think he was being out muscled by Asombalonga and just gave up the fight , hoped to get the second ball when it hits him . 

21 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Positives are that Rotherham Bolton Reading and QPR are in our league,apart from that then I am struggling 

That’s true but we still will probably have to muster 45 or so points from somewhere. 

Archived