IGNORED

Marley Watkins

marcofisher

Pato often gets the critics on here for being too ineffective and wasteful with the ball even if for me he was the most creative outlet on the pitch for me today.

However my question is, how in the world was Marley Watkins still on the pitch at the end of the match, I appreciate he was probably played to give a bit more physicality. On the other hand I have never seen such an ineffective 90 minutes from a City forward.

I am really at a loss to see what he did, I could have missed it, but until his deflected effort after about 85 minutes I did not see him do absolutely anything. He seemed to lose every header, had absolutely no deft touch, had no movement off the ball and subsequently had no involvement in the game whatsoever. 

People may be critical and say we were not good enough today as a team so it’s unfair to pick out one player. However at least Pato on the other side was dropping in and trying to create even if largely unsuccessful on most occasions today. It was practically like playing with 10 men with him on the pitch today. 

I hope this is just a bad start and not another Kent-esque signing. 

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

Pato often gets the critics on here for being too ineffective and wasteful with the ball even if for me he was the most creative outlet on the pitch for me today.

However my question is, how in the world was Marley Watkins still on the pitch at the end of the match, I appreciate he was probably played to give a bit more physicality. On the other hand I have never seen such an ineffective 90 minutes from a City forward.

I am really at a loss to see what he did, I could have missed it, but until his deflected effort after about 85 minutes I did not see him do absolutely anything. He seemed to lose every header, had absolutely no deft touch, had no movement off the ball and subsequently had no involvement in the game whatsoever. 

People may be critical and say we were not good enough today as a team so it’s unfair to pick out one player. However at least Pato on the other side was dropping in and trying to create even if largely unsuccessful on most occasions today. It was practically like playing with 10 men with him on the pitch today. 

I hope this is just a bad start and not another Kent-esque signing. 

One game and played out of position so I'll reserve judgement.

3 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Like I said I hope this is just a bad start, however the mind boggles that he was still on the pitch when it was clear this wasn’t working! 

Fair comment. I'm afraid that modern coaches have a tendency to try to be what they think is clever.

The 'my striker is playing badly so I'll bring on a full back' approach.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

First half we hardly went direct at all.

I’d agree to a large degree but getting the forward quickly should IMHO Mmean passing quickly 

Sharp / Two touch 

Not lumping 40-50 yards balls aimlessly

In the first half Webster floated a ball down the touchline towards Josh Brownhill

Great idea that and a open invitation against one of the most physical left backs in the country who smashed Brownhill leaving him in a crumpled heap

Brainless

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I can't comment on today as I haven't seen it, but thought he looked useful when he came on against Bolton.

Bit unfair to judge him in any depth today Tbf asking him to do a ridiculous job mainly with his back to goal

His touch looked poor which would always concern me

Re Watkins.  All the recruitment staff had to do was visit the Norwich fans forum.  They were amazed we paid a million for a player who was a dead loss with them.

How come our recruitment can be so poor?  Answer he played for LJ before joining Norwich, so a player LJ 'can trust'. That ball is firmly in the back of Johnson's own net

I didn’t mind his performance but he should be out on the wing where that hard work will show a bit more. That said, we have Pato, Eliasson, COD and Adelakun so I do not see the point of Watkins. Maybe we were a bit quick to sign him. Doubt there was a large queue and that is from me one of the more optimistic posters on here

1 hour ago, leadman said:

begs belief that we make no effort to get a big striker in.

According to Lee in his post match interview we are now looking for a big player. Although I suspect he will look at a centre half rather than a striker . Any suggestions who is available in the loan market?

1 minute ago, E.G.Red said:

According to Lee in his post match interview that is exactly what we are now going to do. Any suggestions who is available in the loan market,?  I saw in the press in the week,  and it was mentioned by a city fan on the radio post match today that Tammy could be going out on loan to a championship club.  Although I expect if true it will be to Derby.

Unless you heard a different interview he was talking about the possibility of trying to get a loanee centre back in

Not a striker 

Whether you rate Watkins or not (I can’t see what he brings to the party), apparently we don’t have enough money to bring in a second more-physical striker. Surely Watkins’ transfer fee and wages should have been spent on that second striker?

Archived