IGNORED

Marley Watkins

marcofisher

Just now, Swede said:

You're asking a player to step up two leagues and hit the ground running.

No disrespect, but playing competitive games against the likes of Carlisle centre backs one week and then Middlesborough the next is a tough ask.

He has talent and once up to speed we shall find out. I hope he takes the opportunity but from what I've seen so far he has to be down the pecking order and may not even make the match day squad once Diedhiou is back

Players like Adomah, Vardy stepped up once given the chance. We clearly think there is something there if we signed a 24 y.o for £1.5million. And the main point was regardless of whether he would have hit the ground running or not, Watkin's performance playing out of position today indicated him hitting the ground backwards downhill into a dog turd, so why wasn't he given a chance off the bench? 

On 18/08/2018 at 23:37, BobBobSuperBob said:

All opinion but not sure many thought he did ok (out of position Tbf) today or that it was a good idea

(FWIW) I would have played a 4-5-1 more than even a 4-4-1-1 with Weimann up top and runners from midfield in Josh or Patterson and the wide players in the 5 having the main responsibility  

if hed played Watkins as one of the two wisemen I could have understood that or take your pick from Elliasson COD (And Josh if you play JO) for the two wide spots

It reminded me of the Cardiff (a) game last season when he changed to try and match Cardiffs physicality and failed

If you’re not going to nigh on match them sometimes the cleverest thing to do is the opposite , and what they least want 

Yes I get that & its a fair point. Watkins' best position is out wide, "Barnsley" style.

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Players like Adomah, Vardy stepped up once given the chance. We clearly think there is something there if we signed a 24 y.o for £1.5million. And the main point was regardless of whether he would have hit the ground running or not, Watkin's performance playing out of position today indicated him hitting the ground backwards downhill into a dog turd, so why wasn't he given a chance off the bench? 

He's only recently signed so I am guessing that may have something to do with it.

Debating the merits of Paterson and Watkins is akin two bald men fighting over a comb. As it would be should you add in any of 7 or 8 other signings we've made under the Johnson era.

Why not agree we've some very, very poor players and leave it at that?

On 18/08/2018 at 18:25, Ivorguy said:

Re Watkins.  All the recruitment staff had to do was visit the Norwich fans forum

Fella I manage is a Norwich stalwart. When I said we'd signed Watkins he laughed and continued to do so to the point of hysteria. But what do us fans know?

On 18/08/2018 at 17:27, Esmond Million's Bung said:

At least he is stronger than Paterson, who basically had one shot on target and was apparently our most productive player, mind you a 20 + games history sort blunts your argument about Paterson.

He hasn’t been the same since that illness he had around December. Which is a shame because in the games prior to that he was completely untouchable and ran the show.

On 18/08/2018 at 21:12, Davefevs said:

I thought he did reasonably v Bolton, but very ineffective today.  Would’ve been better if him and Weimann had played the other way around, or just play him LW and kept Pato and Weimann together.  I sort of get the logic of his physicality, just expected it to come from wide.

That’s bollox Ivor.  Our own OTIB is hardly the best judge of a player either is it.  I assume you were being facetious though Re Norwich’s Forum.

Well time will tell whose right

32 minutes ago, harrys said:

Watkins had a shocker, it would of been impossible for Mo to have played any worse, a brainless decision not replacing them

Watkins wasn’t that bad. You’ve got to remember that this squad has several new players that have played just three games ffs....... it’ll take a few games for them to gel as a team. 

Patience, Harry, patience.......

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Watkins wasn’t that bad. You’ve got to remember that this squad has several new players that have played just three games ffs....... it’ll take a few games for them to gel as a team. 

Interesting point, but I would add two things

1 Every other side is in the same situation as us

2 They play numerous practice matches in training, they would have played numerous times together

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting point, but I would add two things

1 Every other side is in the same situation as us

2 They play numerous practice matches in training, they would have played numerous times together

Practice matches, regardless of how competitive they are cant replicate the atmosphere and pressure of a Championship fixture and we all know what pressure especially  in front of a 20k odd crowd can do.

If a player messes up in practice it doesn’t really matter.

• Admin
21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Practice matches, regardless of how competitive they are cant replicate the atmosphere and pressure of a Championship fixture and we all know what pressure especially  in front of a 20k odd crowd can do.

If a player messes up in practice it doesn’t really matter.

Very true, but they learn to gel as a team

On 18/08/2018 at 22:45, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agreeing the obvious that we have no physical threat as a tactic up top 

1 Play a player out of position who , although bigger / taller is going to lose out to Flint and the lad playing alongside him all day long and clearly is not suited to playing with his back to goal

or

2 Accept that we aren’t going to outmuscle them or cause them a moments unrest physically , at the back and play a side and formation with quick agile players that will cause them a different problem

Ill take you back to when we were at our best last season 

Reid up front with Patterson in behind him

You decide

If I was managing I know where I would  have gone

Just seen this....I’ve been saying most of the summer that we don’t need to replace Djúric like for like.  Saturday proved it for me.  We went with a makeshift player and we went a bit too long to him, meat and drink to Flint and Fry.  In the first half, Hunt and Weimann showed that either desire to go past your man or clever movement can unlock a defence.  We didn’t do that enough, because our striker isn’t capable of that from central.  I think Hunt and Watkins Down the right side but be quite exciting.

On 18/08/2018 at 23:37, BobBobSuperBob said:

All opinion but not sure many thought he did ok (out of position Tbf) today or that it was a good idea

(FWIW) I would have played a 4-5-1 more than even a 4-4-1-1 with Weimann up top and runners from midfield in Josh or Patterson and the wide players in the 5 having the main responsibility  

if hed played Watkins as one of the two wisemen I could have understood that or take your pick from Elliasson COD (And Josh if you play JO) for the two wide spots

It reminded me of the Cardiff (a) game last season when he changed to try and match Cardiffs physicality and failed

If you’re not going to nigh on match them sometimes the cleverest thing to do is the opposite , and what they least want 

Exactly.  Weimann has to be the main striker until Diedhiou returns...and when he does I still want him to play on the shoulder as much as possible.  His movement is quality.

In hindsight, much as I like Korey, I think him and Watkins caused the slow tempo.

Courage in your convictions LJ.  You’ve settled on (potentially) Josh and Marlon in CM....you didn’t need to change it Saturday...you could’ve gone with a front 6 of;

Watkins, Pack, Brownhill, O’Dowda / Eliasson | Paterson | Weimann

On 18/08/2018 at 17:48, BobBobSuperBob said:

We spent a far percentage of the game pumping Long balls forward with 3 and at times four ‘flat’ across the front line who unsurprisingly hardly won a challenge

Bob we've got a team full of square pegs in round hole players so many much of a muchness Patterson Watkins Brownhill etc i think it was a case of who he could bring in on budget wages a team of misfits

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I have plenty of patience but my point is that Mo couldn’t of played any worse, he is a far more proven goal scorer than Watkins (all be at a lower level and Watkins is hardly proven at this level also) we were 2 down and throwing him on with 15 minutes to go and who knows what might of happened, to me plodding on in the hope that something might happen was the wrong option

For sure, its not about being more patient, I want to see Marley do well and keep the shirt. I struggled to see the positives from his game. He can play all across the mid and up front so he was not out of position. His lack of intelligent movement was the first thing that I noticed. He was making some really odd runs into danger, not space and seemed a yard or two short of pace. As many have said, early days.

I have watched Watkins on the local non league scene over the years and he is definitely a player who makes things happen due to his ‘warrior’ type style as opposed to any sort of skill/technique. He runs around & puts himself about, can be a nasty ####er at times (which ain’t a bad thing). Proved at Barnsley he can be a goal threat. I think on the right hand side he’ll be OK but you don’t get a lot for 1 mill nowadays....

16 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

I have watched Watkins on the local non league scene over the years and he is definitely a player who makes things happen due to his ‘warrior’ type style as opposed to any sort of skill/technique. He runs around & puts himself about, can be a nasty ####er at times (which ain’t a bad thing). Proved at Barnsley he can be a goal threat. I think on the right hand side he’ll be OK but you don’t get a lot for 1 mill nowadays....

Think him and Hunt could be a good combo.

45 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

My first impressions pretty accurate then Cherry !!

:laughcont:

What can I say Bob, once a scout always a scout.

We done a background check on him years ago and ‘allegedly’ he (MW) from players who played with him at Bath, Hereford & more recently, Inverness all said he’s a complete dick of a person but guess were have trust LJ/MA on this one. 

1 minute ago, redcherryberry said:

What can I say Bob, once a scout always a scout.

We done a background check on him years ago and ‘allegedly’ he (MW) from players who played with him at Bath, Hereford & Inverness all said he’s a complete dick of a person but guess were have trust LJ/MA on this one. 

Gives us something different I guess

£ a million though ?

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not saying he’s the same style as a Dave Smith, but he wasn’t great technically (not like Walsh before him), press his head down and let him run....and I see Watkins being a bit like that....and fans like that.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I think Dave could be right. MW is not a winger who will get to the byline & whip in a cross but more likely to cut inside, over run the ball but have an effect due to his determination & desire. Plenty of grass to run in to for Hunt on the outside. I’ve never saw him play upfront but can understand why LJ did play him there Sat for his physical attributes alone. Again I’m not expecting him to be some world beater but for a mill he could be a shrewd buy. Dread to think what moneys he’s on though as was on 23k at Norwich.....

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not saying he’s the same style as a Dave Smith, but he wasn’t great technically (not like Walsh before him), press his head down and let him run....and I see Watkins being a bit like that....and fans like that.

I loved Smudger growing up. He knew his limitations & stuck to what he was good at. Watkins fancies himself as a player but he’s far from that. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

1 minute ago, redcherryberry said:

I think Dave could be right. MW is not a winger who will get to the byline & whip in a cross but more likely to cut inside, over run the ball but have an effect due to his determination & desire. Plenty of grass to run in to for Hunt on the outside. I’ve never saw him play upfront but can understand why LJ did play him there Sat for his physical attributes alone. Again I’m not expecting him to be some world beater but for a mill he could be a shrewd buy. Dread to think what moneys he’s on though as was on 23k at Norwich.....

Yep

Can see as I said he’s something we havnt got

(Although he doesn’t fit into Lees playing ethos) 

I Think we lack pace and power through the side so he will at least give us that

Archived