IGNORED

Ratings today

old_eastender

Where 6 is a decent performance:

Maenpaa - 7 - No chance with either gifted goal, couple of good saves and claims, good distribution

Hunt & Pisano - 5 - Both looked handy coming forward, both very suspect defensively, both at fault for second goal

Webster - 4 - Largely to blame with help from Hunt in gifting Boro the lead

Kelly - 8 - Really good game, looked a much better CB than Baker. This lad is real quality

Pack - 8 - Bossed the midfield in the anchor role, very assured

Smith - 5 - neat & tidy, but slowed the game down every time he got the ball

Brownhill - 6 - Very unlucky with shot that hit the bar, but otherwise a lot of huff n puff with no end product

Pato - 3 - One decent shot in the 2nd half, otherwise anonymous once again aside from missing great chance to score earlier in 2nd half!

Watkins - 4 - Looked lost being asked to play centre forward.

Weimann - 6 - Worked tirelessly but wasted two good chances when didn't even work the keeper, one shot over the bar and one wide.

SUBS

Taylor - 3 - Offered nothing, just like Tuesday v Plymouth.

COD - 4 - Tried but ineffective like in other performances this season.

Desilva - 6 - Did ok when he came on. 

Maenpaa agree

Hunt 5 thought he was good but got beat bavk post(tough ask for a FB to be fair) was involved in first I think? Webster first mistake Hunt second

Kelly 8 thought he answered every defensive question asked of him. Needs to be a bit more patient on the ball. Thought he hit too many long ones. Good enough performance where if Baker is fit I start Kelly

Webster 5 thought he was solid but again a mistake that cost a goal. Can’t do that as a defender

Pisano 6 probably needed to try and block the cross for the second but playing LB as a RB against Downing was not an easy task and thought he was good enough

Brownhill 6 did a lot of running but just did not affect the game enough. 

Smith 5 just does not have enough to his game. His range of passing seems to be limited to 10-15 yards and usually sideways. I like him. Good honest pro but not versatile enough for a top champ club

Pack 6 expected more from the captain. Did his usual running and looking to get on the ball but again not enough looking forward. 

Pato 5 he did look more lively but he had a few chance and did not do enough with them. Good chance to bend one just outside box and missed bad. Then another inside the box where he tried a ball roll and lost it and another straight at keeper. For out main creative force we need more imo

Weimann 6 ran a lot probably did not get into great areas and ultimately didn’t have any chance of note. 

Watkins 6 again a lot of hard work but lack of quality. Gave us a bit more of a platform up front which was nice but great chance back post and you see the wide player in him. 

COD 5 not same player he was beginning of last season. Looks devoid of confidence summed up by getting ball on his left foot for a shot and then trying to go back right! Frustrating because we need a big season from him

Taylor 5 comes on and you just know he is not scoring and doesn’t even always harrass defenders which is probably his best quality. Striker needed badly imo and not just Fam returning

Dasilva 6 he’d make an exciting wingback. Looks brave and creative and I am sure will help us secure points when we are up against defensive sides. I thought Boro would be a bad matchup for him because of his size but he’d have made a difference starting today imo

Firstly, perfectly happy at 14:05 with the team picked today.  I thought LJ would go a bit more physical, and he did.

At 15:05 I was confused by the line-up.  The back 5 I understood.  I fully expected once Pisano games he would play CB, as I thought Kelly v Assombolonga might be a tough ask.  However Pisano started LB and I could see that.

What I was surprised was that we played Marley Watkins up top, Weimann off of him, and Paterson LW.  Thought Weimann would  play up top and Watkins on LW.  More on this in another thread I expect.

Team-wise I thought we controlled possession nicely in the middle third, but in first half we didn’t play quick enough to hurt them in the final third.  Boro didn’t do a lot, but scored twice.  Two soft goals, especially the first.  Second half we gave it more of a go, and had some very good chances, albeit half-chances.  The header against the post/bar (was that Watkins?), Brownhill’s freekick against the underside of the bar, Pato's chance that Shotton blocked, Weimann’s double effort and the blocked left foot volley, Pisano’s lashed effort were second half attempts that deserved a goal.  Thought Watkins should’ve done better with a first half header and Pato brought a smart save from Randolph from 18 yards on the angle.  Boro, in contrast took there chances and bar the odd breakaway half-chance or long range effort from Downing didn’t create much.  Perhaps at 0-2 they didn’t need to?

Before getting too carried away in thinking we actually played reasonably well, I think Boro May have found another gear had they needed to.

Ratings - my first view of the season, so no bias from previous games, no half marks either....thems my rules!

Mäenpää 6 - didn’t have much to do, looked assured coming for the ball, punched when had to, and distributes quickly enough.

Hunt 6 - liked what I saw, exactly the performance I expect.  In the first half he was the bright spark going forward, twice getting in behind the back line.  One cross to Watkins who should’ve done better, and one cross-shot that Randolph palmed away.  Should’ve been a 7, but 1st goal ultimately his fault (see Webster too), caught on the stretch to leave Braithwaite with a simple chance - the only thing he did all game imho.  Had no chance with Assombolonga’s header from 1/2 yard.

Pisano 7 - was a tad worried when I thought he’d line up at CB, but thought he had an assured game at LB. @GrahamC reckons he was partly to blame for their second goal with a poor pass, so will need to wait for highlights to confirm.  If so, then he can be a 6.  I thought he tackled well, looked sharp and used the ball well when he had it.  It felt a lot more like the Pisano of last Aug/Sep.  Encouraging.

Webster 5 - not sure if a good thing or bad thing, but today he reminded me at times of Hegeler...the way he moves, passes, etc.  But he has an error in him.  Bit complacent at times on the ball.  We may gave to accept that if we are going to play out from the back.  That doesn’t overly concern me though....what does is that he needs to toughen up.  Their first goal...why didn’t he try to head the thing.  Did it hit his back or Britt’s.  That’s the first fault of the goal, Hunt then had to react.  At times he had the half yard on Britt, but allowed himself to be outmuscled.  I accept Assombolonga is one of the more physical, strikers, but Webster will have see today his to play him by his CB partner.

Kelly 8 - think I saw the emergence today of a gifted CB. @Shuffle you were right.  Kelly handled himself and Assombolonga so well today.  He used the ball well, defended, positioned and tackled well.  He came forward with the ball too, and looks a real athlete.  He’ll have off days, but he looked so up for it today, like he knew his manager had given him a huge challenge and he won it.  I would have no qualms about him playing there most weeks. There will be a time to give him a test (he can play LB then!).  Could write a lot more, but onto the next.

Brownhill 6 - in and out of the game today.  Decent enough at times, and unlucky with the free-kick.  I saw enough today to think him and Pack are the way forward in CM.  He has added a physicality to his play.  A couple of times in the first half he could’ve pulled the trigger and passed.  

Pack 7 - thought he controlled the midfield, but we never got the whole midfield forward enough for Pack to hurt Boro.  Think he is thriving on being captain.  Was a typical Marlon performance.  Think he missed Brownhill’s footballing ability alongside him.

Smith 5 - did okay, but too ponderous on the ball for us to create the tempo to get at Boro.  Can see why LJ has gone for MP/JB in the centre so far (until today).  What happened Re injury....was in toilet with Joe?

Paterson 6 - flitted in and out as per norm.  In our good spells I thought he was the most likely to unlock Boro.  Forced a good save from Randolph with left foot shot in second half...and I'm gonna give Shotton an awful lot of credit for the block...the angle wasn't there for the first time shot.

Watkins 4 - although I can see him playing along the forward line, as the main striker I think it was a poor choice from LJ vs Flint and Fry.  Should’ve done better with far post header from Hunt in first half.  Contributed little influence on the game.  He will be a useful signing though imho.

Weimann 7 - class act, great movement, very tidy touch, can take the ball on the turn.  Didn’t get enough service, had to come too deep to get touches.  Unlucky with a few efforts in second half.  A lot to like.  We wanted a replacement for Bobby.  I think we’ve got one with more pedigree.

Subs: not rating them today

Taylor - looked sluggish when he came on, and curtainly riled by Friend, and lost it a bit as a result.

Dasilva - looks very confident, good on the ball and might well be a good attacking LB, certainly like to get forward and take his opponent on.  Promising league debut for us.

O’Dowda - no real impact.  Got a bit to do to get back to last October’s form.

Manager:

Johnson - picked the right players, and thought the decision to go with Watkins up front played into Boro’s hands.  I think Weimann would’ve run them into the channels more and exposed Flint and Fry.  Got that wrong LJ!  Picking LK at CB he got right though.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Maenpaa - 7 - No chance with either gifted goal, couple of good saves and claims, good distribution. Agree.

Hunt & Pisano - 5 - Both looked handy coming forward, both very suspect defensively, both at fault for second goal. Both 4 look mistake prone defensively and Hunt weak for both goals.

Webster - 4 - Largely to blame with help from Hunt in gifting Boro the lead. 7 for me looked assured, unlucky at worst with the first goal.

Kelly - 8 - Really good game, looked a much better CB than Baker. This lad is real quality. Agree, he grew up today against a very awkward and physical opponent.

Pack - 8 - Bossed the midfield in the anchor role, very assured. Agree, best player on the field, a couple of wayward passes but considering how many times he in possession of the ball, to be expected.

Smith - 5 - neat & tidy, but slowed the game down every time he got the ball. 6 for me, I don't think he is fully fit.

Brownhill - 6 - Very unlucky with shot that hit the bar, but otherwise a lot of huff n puff with no end product. Agree.

Pato - 3 - One decent shot in the 2nd half, otherwise anonymous once again aside from missing great chance to score earlier in 2nd half!. Maybe a 4, one good shot is a poor return, he needs to be dropped.

Watkins - 4 - Looked lost being asked to play centre forward. 5 at least he is more of physical presence than Paterson or ODowda.

Weimann - 6 - Worked tirelessly but wasted two good chances when didn't even work the keeper, one shot over the bar and one wide. Agree, hopefully more to come when Diedhiou returns, the failure to replace Djuric is baffling.

SUBS

Taylor - 3 - Offered nothing, just like Tuesday v Plymouth. Agree time is up i'm afraid.

COD - 4 - Tried but ineffective like in other performances this season. Agree pretty much looking like a jaded one trick pony.

Desilva - 6 - Did ok when he came on. Looks an exciting talent.

Clearly divided opinions on Pack - I thought he misplaced more passes today, that I can ever remember. I wonder if he was trying too hard to make a point to Flint?

I'm not even sure Weimann had that good a game - he didn't get his shots away quick enough, chasing every ball is not enough.

How can Smith be so good in our half and so docile in their half, I just don't get it.

2 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Clearly divided opinions on Pack - I thought he misplaced more passes today, that I can ever remember. I wonder if he was trying too hard to make a point to Flint?

I'm not even sure Weimann had that good a game - he didn't get his shots away quick enough, chasing every ball is not enough.

How can Smith be so good in our half and so docile in their half, I just don't get it.

Do you know what instructions he was given?

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Kelly - 8 - Really good game, looked a much better CB than Baker. This lad is real quality

Pack - 8 - Bossed the midfield in the anchor role, very assured

Pack and Kelly were definate stand outs. I was very pleased to see that Lloyd refuse to be bullied by Assombalonga.

Just now, reddoh said:

Do you know what instructions he was given?

Of course not!

But he can't get instructions for every situation so we can't blame LJ - but surely he has to be more creative and pose an attacking threat in the final third?

I remember a time when we talked about his adding this to his game after a cup screamer [Cheltenham??]. He just seems to want to play others in no matter what his position.

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Firstly, perfectly happy at 14:05 with the team picked today.  I thought LJ would go a bit more physical, and he did.

At 15:05 I was confused by the line-up.  The back 5 I understood.  I fully expected once Pisano games he would play CB, as I thought Kelly v Assombolonga might be a tough ask.  However Pisano started LB and I could see that.

What I was surprised was that we played Marley Watkins up top, Weimann off of him, and Paterson LW.  Thought Weimann would  play up top and Watkins on LW.  More on this in another thread I expect.

Team-wise I thought we controlled possession nicely in the middle third, but in first half we didn’t play quick enough to hurt them in the final third.  Boro didn’t do a lot, but scored twice.  Two soft goals, especially the first.  Second half we gave it more of a go, and had some very good chances, albeit half-chances.  The header against the post/bar (was that Watkins?), Brownhill’s freekick against the underside of the bar, Pato's chance that Shotton blocked, Weimann’s double effort and the blocked left foot volley, Pisano’s lashed effort were second half attempts that deserved a goal.  Thought Watkins should’ve done better with a first half header and Pato brought a smart save from Randolph from 18 yards on the angle.  Boro, in contrast took there chances and bar the odd breakaway half-chance or long range effort from Downing didn’t create much.  Perhaps at 0-2 they didn’t need to?

Before getting too carried away in thinking we actually played reasonably well, I think Boro May have found another gear had they needed to.

Ratings - my first view of the season, so no bias from previous games, no half marks either....thems my rules!

Mäenpää 6 - didn’t have much to do, looked assured coming for the ball, punched when had to, and distributes quickly enough.

Hunt 6 - liked what I saw, exactly the performance I expect.  In the first half he was the bright spark going forward, twice getting in behind the back line.  One cross to Watkins who should’ve done better, and one cross-shot that Randolph palmed away.  Should’ve been a 7, but 1st goal ultimately his fault (see Webster too), caught on the stretch to leave Braithwaite with a simple chance - the only thing he did all game imho.  Had no chance with Assombolonga’s header from 1/2 yard.

Pisano 7 - was a tad worried when I thought he’d line up at CB, but thought he had an assured game at LB. @GrahamC reckons he was partly to blame for their second goal with a poor pass, so will need to wait for highlights to confirm.  If so, then he can be a 6.  I thought he tackled well, looked sharp and used the ball well when he had it.  It felt a lot more like the Pisano of last Aug/Sep.  Encouraging.

Webster 5 - not sure if a good thing or bad thing, but today he reminded me at times of Hegeler...the way he moves, passes, etc.  But he has an error in him.  Bit complacent at times on the ball.  We may gave to accept that if we are going to play out from the back.  That doesn’t overly concern me though....what does is that he needs to toughen up.  Their first goal...why didn’t he try to head the thing.  Did it hit his back or Britt’s.  That’s the first fault of the goal, Hunt then had to react.  At times he had the half yard on Britt, but allowed himself to be outmuscled.  I accept Assombolonga is one of the more physical, strikers, but Webster will have see today his to play him by his CB partner.

Kelly 8 - think I saw the emergence today of a gifted CB. @Shuffle you were right.  Kelly handled himself and Assombolonga so well today.  He used the ball well, defended, positioned and tackled well.  He came forward with the ball too, and looks a real athlete.  He’ll have off days, but he looked so up for it today, like he knew his manager had given him a huge challenge and he won it.  I would have no qualms about him playing there most weeks. There will be a time to give him a test (he can play LB then!).  Could write a lot more, but onto the next.

Brownhill 6 - in and out of the game today.  Decent enough at times, and unlucky with the free-kick.  I saw enough today to think him and Pack are the way forward in CM.  He has added a physicality to his play.  A couple of times in the first half he could’ve pulled the trigger and passed.  

Pack 7 - thought he controlled the midfield, but we never got the whole midfield forward enough for Pack to hurt Boro.  Think he is thriving on being captain.  Was a typical Marlon performance.  Think he missed Brownhill’s footballing ability alongside him.

Smith 5 - did okay, but too ponderous on the ball for us to create the tempo to get at Boro.  Can see why LJ has gone for MP/JB in the centre so far (until today).  What happened Re injury....was in toilet with Joe?

Paterson 6 - flitted in and out as per norm.  In our good spells I thought he was the most likely to unlock Boro.  Forced a good save from Randolph with left foot shot in second half...and I'm gonna give Shotton an awful lot of credit for the block...the angle wasn't there for the first time shot.

Watkins 4 - although I can see him playing along the forward line, as the main striker I think it was a poor choice from LJ vs Flint and Fry.  Should’ve done better with far post header from Hunt in first half.  Contributed little influence on the game.  He will be a useful signing though imho.

Weimann 7 - class act, great movement, very tidy touch, can take the ball on the turn.  Didn’t get enough service, had to come too deep to get touches.  Unlucky with a few efforts in second half.  A lot to like.  We wanted a replacement for Bobby.  I think we’ve got one with more pedigree.

Subs: not rating them today

Taylor - looked sluggish when he came on, and curtainly riled by Friend, and lost it a bit as a result.

Dasilva - looks very confident, good on the ball and might well be a good attacking LB, certainly like to get forward and take his opponent on.  Promising league debut for us.

O’Dowda - no real impact.  Got a bit to do to get back to last October’s form.

Manager:

Johnson - picked the right players, and thought the decision to go with Watkins up front played into Boro’s hands.  I think Weimann would’ve run them into the channels more and exposed Flint and Fry.  Got that wrong LJ!  Picking LK at CB he got right though.

Disagree with Pack. Thought he was poor compared to his usual standards. A game with 70% or close to it but not enough penetration from Pack Smith and I will add Brownhill who I think was wide right but never there except deensively. 

Agree about Webster. I have thought multiple times he looks like Hegeler at times. I have seen people rave about him because of some of his runs going forward but we need a defender first. In that regard I am not sure he is a better defender than Hegeler. Though he is more physical than Jens. Though if that was Hegeler out there today you could bet on a massive thread pointing out every little thing. Webster needs to get better quickly because he is the face of Flint’s replacement and I don’t think everyone will be super patient. 

Like all your other assessments 

Maenpaa - 5 - A few bad decisions that added unnecessary pressure, not helped by those in front of him.

Hunt - 5 - Poor. Sums it up.

Webster - 5 - Handy on the ball, when we had movement ahead of him anyway. Got bosses quite badly by Britt.

Kelly - 7 - Better from him, looked more assured once DaSilva came on, meaning he received the ball less and could focus on Assombalonga. Which helped Webster.

Pisano - 6 - considering he played comically out of position he coped well. Did the right thing showing Downing onto his weaker foot but should of kept closer.

Brownhill - 6 - A lot of effort for not much end product, his crossing was pretty poor however.

Smith - 5 - pretty anonymous from Korey today, the biggest thing for me is that we were slow moving the ball, once or twice Korey dabbled and lost the opportunity to spread the play.

Pack - 7 - usual Park performance, a few nice passes, caught out in possession due to a lack of movement ahead of him once or twice. A few robust challenges.

Patterson - 5 - bar the shot? Wouldnt of known he was on the pitch.

Watkins - 5 - asked for the long ball, won nothing bar a header to nobody. Too slow on the deck.

Weimann - 6 - unfortunately stifled by the lack of service from Patterson  and Watkins, who were abject and static. The only player's really picking him out were Pack and Brownhill.

One of few positives. DaSilva looked very good, so **** knows why we didn't start him really.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Thought Pack was awful. Got caught many times and not anywhere near his levels on the ball either. 5 for me.

Yep amazed people thought he was good awful performance. Only Kelly and the keeper played well.

13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Disagree with Pack. Thought he was poor compared to his usual standards. A game with 70% or close to it but not enough penetration from Pack Smith and I will add Brownhill who I think was wide right but never there except deensively. 

Agree about Webster. I have thought multiple times he looks like Hegeler at times. I have seen people rave about him because of some of his runs going forward but we need a defender first. In that regard I am not sure he is a better defender than Hegeler. Though he is more physical than Jens. Though if that was Hegeler out there today you could bet on a massive thread pointing out every little thing. Webster needs to get better quickly because he is the face of Flint’s replacement and I don’t think everyone will be super patient. 

Like all your other assessments 

No probs Joe....there’s enough mixed opinion on Pack today to think some of us saw different things today and he was somewhere not as good as I thought and not as poor as others thought.  The rating becomes a bit superfluous.  I wonder if Pack missed Brownhill today.

Yes, Webster is gonna have to man-up quickly.

Despite my glowing views on Kelly, neither him or Webster faced much of an aerial battle today...not even from a Pulis team.  We faced a few corners and long throws but not the normal barrage.  Will be interested how both perform in this category.

There seems to be a general consensus that one or two aside most players individually did ok. The problem with player ratings though is that they can disguise the bigger picture. Collectively I always thought Boro had a goal in them whereas I really couldn’t see us scoring in a month of Sunday’s. Suggests a lack of quality to me - worrying times. 

1 minute ago, hollydog said:

There seems to be a general consensus that one or two aside most players individually did ok. The problem with player ratings though is that they can disguise the bigger picture. Collectively I always thought Boro had a goal in them whereas I really couldn’t see us scoring in a month of Sunday’s. Suggests a lack of quality to me - worrying times. 

Is the big problem with our recruitment. Weimann is solid business. Then Webster has experience and can get better so that is fine if he improves. Watkins a bit unnecessary imo. Then a couple lower league that need time. Getting close to 27m sold and about 10m spent. This squad could have really used a couple 4m or so signings. Just adding that bit of quality.

The one positive to our summer is we did make a massive profit on players. That is money that does not disappear after this season. We can get through this season and see what we need to add and have the funds to do so.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No probs Joe....there’s enough mixed opinion on Pack today to think some of us saw different things today and he was somewhere not as good as I thought and not as poor as others thought.  The rating becomes a bit superfluous.  I wonder if Pack missed Brownhill today.

Yes, Webster is gonna have to man-up quickly.

Despite my glowing views on Kelly, neither him or Webster faced much of an aerial battle today...not even from a Pulis team.  We faced a few corners and long throws but not the normal barrage.  Will be interested how both perform in this category.

Matt Smith to come on Tuesday so Webster needs to man up!

Archived