IGNORED

Ratings today

old_eastender

4 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Harsh? He’s pants 

Yep he has been woeful since January. Same as Baker. I’d bench them both and make them work for their spots back. Worked for Pato his first season. Honestly, we have the players to do this. For probably our second biggest signing in Baker and someone we just invested another 3 seasons into, we aren’t getting enough from them. 

52 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Pack and Kelly were definate stand outs. I was very pleased to see that Lloyd refuse to be bullied by Assombalonga.

What was telling for me was how pissy Assombalonga was getting, throwing his arms up at the lino and moaning at the ref. He knew he was second best v Lloyd.

As many others have said, Lloyd grew up today - to keep one of probably the top five or six strikers in the Championship as quiet as he did is some achievement.

20 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Is the big problem with our recruitment. Weimann is solid business. Then Webster has experience and can get better so that is fine if he improves. Watkins a bit unnecessary imo. Then a couple lower league that need time. Getting close to 27m sold and about 10m spent. This squad could have really used a couple 4m or so signings. Just adding that bit of quality.

The one positive to our summer is we did make a massive profit on players. That is money that does not disappear after this season. We can get through this season and see what we need to add and have the funds to do so.

Problem with that Joe is

The way the transfer market is going , a 5 million pound player this last window will be £8/10 million next summer

Bit like selling your house, thinking you will be clever and invest the capital at %5 whilst in the meanwhile house prices are going up by 10% a year diminishing your spending power

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Problem with that Joe is

The way the transfer market is going , a 5 million pound player this last window will be £8/10 million next summer

Bit like selling your house, thinking you will be clever and invest the capital at %5 whilst in the meanwhile house prices are going up by 10% a year diminishing your spending power

Who's doing that?

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Problem with that Joe is

There is that. Personally would have looked to bring in a bit more quality and tried my best to shed a couple more fringe players though I understand it isn’t always simple.

I am still holding out hope for a top prem striker on loan but I doubt it will happen.

I have this nagging feeling we are Ipswich of last season. A bunch of hard working pros but serious lack of quality and we will end up 14th-15th. Was always going to be tough to finish top 10 after what we lost but SL keeps opening his big mouth with unrealistic expecations then we go sign a bunch of at best above average players. I like Weimann, Webster and Hunt but sprinkle in a couple more 4-5m signings and would probably boost us dramtically. 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

There is that. Personally would have looked to bring in a bit more quality and tried my best to shed a couple more fringe players though I understand it isn’t always simple.

I am still holding out hope for a top prem striker on loan but I doubt it will happen.

I have this nagging feeling we are Ipswich of last season. A bunch of hard working pros but serious lack of quality and we will end up 14th-15th. Was always going to be tough to finish top 10 after what we lost but SL keeps opening his big mouth with unrealistic expecations then we go sign a bunch of at best above average players. I like Weimann, Webster and Hunt but sprinkle in a couple more 4-5m signings and would probably boost us dramtically. 

The irony is that £16 million ‘profit on fees’ would if invested (In players) correctly make us more money and make us more sustainable or make us closer to self financing 

Its not going to increase as quickly sat in a bank account 

(I appreciate it’s not our money but I’m trying to see our thinking) 

Just now, JonDolman said:

Thanks for the advice, but I already go there. Very good job they do don't they. Pack was very poor today. His lack of pace really showed when their players got past him and away from him like he wasn't there. On the ball he was slow, and was sloppy when releasing it. Just because he is Marlon Pack, doesn't mean I have to pretend he played well. 

Thanks for your reply...............lets just agree to disagree?  I am often suprised how differently  supporters view the performances of  certain players.....I am just relieved to know that I am always right! ?

38 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The irony is that £16 million ‘profit on fees’ would if invested (In players) correctly make us more money and make us more sustainable or make us closer to self financing 

Its not going to increase as quickly sat in a bank account 

(I appreciate it’s not our money but I’m trying to see our thinking) 

You are right. We have the funds and I have replied in another thread why maybe we are keeping hold of it for this season. That said, we know you can spend 5m and make money on that investment.

Neves for example to Wolves last season was 15m. Mental money for the championship. Taking injuries out of it(risky) what is the worst case? They don’t get promoted. He is still 21 with loads of potential. They would have at minimum received that fee back for him.

Now, not advocating spending it all at once but a few 4-6m signings of players u24 is not a terrible investment. Always risk but we had the means to try and did not.

Maybe we felt we’d be taken advantage of this window because of it. Maybe we felt we did not have enough time after they were sold to pursue these types of targets(got Fam done early before other clubs got further down their target lists?) my hope would be they have plans over the next 3 windows to use it wisely.

Money has generally been reinvested from what i have seen so i will give it time

@JoeAman08 re Neves.  What if he had a poor season and reputation tarnished....would he still be worth £15m?

I’m not trying to make excuses, but it looks like 17/18’s accounts will show a massive loss (£18.4m possibly)....we can’t invest all of the transfer money, it’s already part of the budget.

I think it’s fair to say our wage bill and other operating costs are significantly more than our turnover/income.  Making a profit from transfers and not reinvesting it is part of the self-sustainable policy and staying inside of FFP sanctions.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@JoeAman08 re Neves.  What if he had a poor season and reputation tarnished....would he still be worth £15m?

I’m not trying to make excuses, but it looks like 17/18’s accounts will show a massive loss (£18.4m possibly)....we can’t invest all of the transfer money, it’s already part of the budget.

I think it’s fair to say our wage bill and other operating costs are significantly more than our turnover/income.  Making a profit from transfers and not reinvesting it is part of the self-sustainable policy and staying inside of FFP sanctions.

I am not sure it would offset the work he had done at Porto. There would be plenty of suitors across Europe for a young international player. Perhaps a slight loss but with his long contract I think they would have received 13-15m euro minumum. Not such a huge risk. 

I am not as up on our accounts tbh. We have made losses in other years and not had near the profit. I am no fool and don’t think all that 27m would become available for transfers.

That said, we also shed significant salaries in GON, Golbourne, Flint, Bryan, Magnússon, Reid(probably quite low I know) and Djuric. I imagine Weimann is on more than Reid and Hunt more than Bryan. Djuric probably brings that closer to even though. While Flint with his new contract was possibly more than Webster who went from Portsmouth to Ipswich. 

Anyway, point I am making, is that our wage budget this season is at worst even to last. Plus we have brought in a significant amount more than we have spent. There should be, in theory, quite a bit left to use. 

Then we get to the sustainability word. It is a word oft used by SL. What does it mean? Does it mean SL wants to break even every season? Does it mean he wants it to stay under the 5m(think it is) threshold without owner investment? Does is mean he wants it to not only cover the operating costs but the academy as well? Or just to stay inside FFP? That is never explained

Now where I really get cross is the mixed messages we receive. We want sustainability. Yet we also want to make a push for top 6. Both are things SL says. So which takes priority? Actions this summer say sustainability first and foremost. I know the club bleeds money but that is what happens when you own a club in England outside the premier league. You can probably scrape by at a small profit and stay in the champ but it will be a battle every season to stay up. 

There are people more qualified than me that can say more about finances. But the simple maths say to me we have gone a bit cheap this season. I am still hopeful it is for good reason of course but I can see why other are less optimistic. 

Maenpaa 6

Hunt 4

Webster 5

Kelly 8

Pisano 5

Brownhill 6

Smith 5

Pack 7

Watkins 3

Paterson 3

Weimann 6

Subs

Taylor 3

O'Dowda 4

Dasilva 7

In summary, we were weak at the back, uncreative in midfield, and pretty toothless up front. The only positives were Kelly and Dasilva. Paterson does not deserve to start, but we are so lacking any creativity, LJ seems to keep picking him in the hope of him doing anything, but at best he has 1 good game in 5. And when you bring on Matty Taylor as the first substitute at 2-0 down, a player who will struggle to score a single league goal this season, you know how deep in trouble we are. Plus playing Marley Watkins as a centre forward!

As we knew Diedhiou was going to miss all our games in August, why on earth did we let Djuric go before the end of the month? Surely the player & Saleritana could wait 2-3 weeks until the end of the window in Italy. Seems very naive on Ciry's part.

On the basis of what we have seen so far, you can forget any idea of a top half finish this season. If we can avoid a relegation scrap, we will be lucky. Our form since New Year has been woeful, and there is little sign of any improvement so far this season. Anything other than a win at Loftus Road and we really need to worry about whether we can even manage 21st under LJ, as he seems clueless on how to improve things, and then confirms it by saying that we are not in the market for a forward on loan.

Maenpaa 5 - Largely a spectator, but potentially could've done better for the second. Kicking still 100% better than Frank's.

Hunt 4 - I like Hunt but what a f- up that first goal was. 

Webster 5 - Also culpable, but strong second half. We saw some unstoppable CH running.

Kelly 6 - Played in the centre from necessity, Did OK.

Pisano 5 - Much better going forward than defending. Obviously not on his favoured side.

Brownhill 4 - Some nice touches, but the player most likely to give the ball away.

Smith 5-  Pretty solid, but faded.

Pack 4 - One of his weakest games of late.

Watkins 4 - Started looking lively, but then vanished.

Paterson 4 - score would have been lower were it not for having that very decent pop at goal.

Weimann 5 - Tireless, but couldn't quite connect today.

Subs

Taylor 4 - Once again, never looked likely to score, but at did keep forward pressure up.

O'Dowda 4 - Ran at them. His own feet were his worst enemy.

Dasilva 5 Showed touches of real class, but wasn't really called on to defend.

12 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Then we get to the sustainability word. It is a word oft used by SL. What does it mean? Does it mean SL wants to break even every season? Does it mean he wants it to stay under the 5m(think it is) threshold without owner investment? Does is mean he wants it to not only cover the operating costs but the academy as well? Or just to stay inside FFP? That is never explained

Joe, very good point / question.  It is ambiguous isn’t it.

Now where I really get cross is the mixed messages we receive. We want sustainability. Yet we also want to make a push for top 6. Both are things SL says. So which takes priority? Actions this summer say sustainability first and foremost. I know the club bleeds money but that is what happens when you own a club in England outside the premier league. You can probably scrape by at a small profit and stay in the champ but it will be a battle every season to stay up. 

Sustainability is great but unless you get a stellar season (not half a season), it doesn't correlate with a promotion push.  Too many clubs on parachute payments and some bigger clubs who aren’t make it very tough.  Not impossible but difficult.

There are people more qualified than me that can say more about finances. But the simple maths say to me we have gone a bit cheap this season. I am still hopeful it is for good reason of course but I can see why other are less optimistic. 

Yes, maybe.  However the players at £4-5m tend to also be on the radar of more attractive clubs.  I wonder whether we’ll go back in for Zack Steffen in the winter window.  I think it was a sensible summer window, but if SL wants top 10 and a push he needs to think differently.

Archived