Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Recommended Posts

Selling our 3 best players and only spending a fraction of it is what’s gunna cost us this season, all well passing around 2/3 of the pitch but in the final 1/3 we’re awful, defiantly need a loan striker or a creative midfielder of we’re in for a long season 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Selling our 3 best players and only spending a fraction of it is what’s gunna cost us this season, all well passing around 2/3 of the pitch but in the final 1/3 we’re awful, defiantly need a loan striker or a creative midfielder of we’re in for a long season 

Someone else on here said when the accounts for last year come out they will show we lost over £18m. If that's the case LJ would have been under orders to sell and get some money in as our losses will have to be in single figures this year to get us back on track, we'll have to wait and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Someone else on here said when the accounts for last year come out they will show we lost over £18m. If that's the case LJ would have been under orders to sell and get some money in as our losses will have to be in single figures this year to get us back on track, we'll have to wait and see.

Nail on head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What utter tosh. Lansdown is many things but I don’t think stingy can be levelled at him as one of them. 

Indeed. The idea was always to develop players to sell at a profit to help minimise the club's losses. The players we sold this season cost us less than £3.5 million combined. We've spent over £10 million replacing them. Someone can question whether we've bought the right players but it isn't stinginess - the club cannot afford to spend everything received through player sales on player purchases. That's simple economics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed. The idea was always to develop players to sell at a profit to help minimise the club's losses. The players we sold this season cost us less than £3.5 million combined. We've spent over £10 million replacing them. Someone can question whether we've bought the right players but it isn't stinginess - the club cannot afford to spend everything received through player sales on player purchases. That's simple economics. 

Exactly this. Whether the recruitment in is done well is a completely separate issue. But to call SL stingy is deeply unfair and ignorant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed. The idea was always to develop players to sell at a profit to help minimise the club's losses. The players we sold this season cost us less than £3.5 million combined. We've spent over £10 million replacing them. Someone can question whether we've bought the right players but it isn't stinginess - the club cannot afford to spend everything received through player sales on player purchases. That's simple economics. 

Have we really spent over £10m on transfer fees this summer? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

20,000 fans per game.  How many will keep on coming if we dont start to win a few.  How much will that cost.

Record number of season tickets sold.  How many wont renew next year if things dont improve?

Nowhere near 19000 there today, fans are already turning away which is worrying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Have we really spent over £10m on transfer fees this summer? 

That's the best part of 30 Tilsons 😂

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Nowhere near 19000 there today, fans are already turning away which is worrying

Loads are away on holidays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Have we really spent over £10m on transfer fees this summer? 

I think so. I have seen it banded about a lot. 

Webster was 4m

Hunt I have seen listed at 1.4m

Think Eisa was about 1.5m

Watkins was more than £1m

That is 7.9 on those four alone, excluding signing on fees etc.

Edited by LondonBristolian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Have we really spent over £10m on transfer fees this summer? 

 

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

I think so. I have seen it banded about a lot. 

Webster was 4m

Hunt I have seen listed at 1.4m

Think Eisa was about 1.5m

Watkins was more than £1m

That is 7.9 on those four alone, excluding signing on fees etc.

£9.68 million according to transfermarket

We received according to them £26.55 million 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

defiantly need a loan striker or a creative midfielder of we’re in for a long season 

Yes for sure . I like Pack and Smith but we need something different 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shelts said:

Yes for sure . I like Pack and Smith but we need something different 

Well we are going to get something ‘different’ for next few games I’d suggest 

( Looking at Korey going off )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Well we are going to get something ‘different’ for next few games I’d suggest 

( Looking at Korey going off )

Yes true . Good substitution with Taylor coming on !!

Crying out for a ball player 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I hope Korey is OK. He is a key player for us.  The first name I always look out for on the teamsheet and prey that Lee doesn't play him at full back 

His Instagram post

Appears he’s concerned

991E877F-1AB5-491A-ABEE-84AA64E51FD8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the sentiments about Korey FWIW, top player but the thrux of this thread would suggest even with the non match day revenues that we're not sustainable as a Championship club judging by transfers covering the losses?

How do Preston and Brentford do it?

Concerned? Yes. 

Edited by Ska Junkie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What people forget, is that even the average player, lets say Eliasson, costs this club about £350kp/annum in wages.

Outside of the first team, on loan, and others (regarding periods of injury) add up, we spunked wages on: Engvall, Moore, Hinds, Eliasson, Djuric, Dhiediou, Hegeler, Baker, Steele, Taylor, Magnússon, Leko, Woodrow, Diony, Kent (300k fine also), Wright, Walsh, O'Dowda, Pisano, all who either didn't play for periods, at all, or were loaned out.

All not in the team, in cases at all, injured, or intermittently. Then lets say roughly £5kpw average. Diedhiou, Diony, Kent, Woodrow, Leko, on £10kpw,, Baker on £15kpw, being very optimistic. I honestly thing Leko, Woodrow, Diedhiou, Kent, Diony, were all on significantly more, same with Hegeler and Magnússon.

Our last recognised loss (selling Kodj) was £3.26m for the 16/17 season.

For all those on a (supposed average) £5kpw salary (12 of the above), that adds up to £3.12m, Second bracket (10kpw, 6 months for Leko and Kent each) come a further £2.08m, and Baker adding £0.8m (Total Salary increase of an estimated >£6m), Transfers was a further net spend of £9m. Further signing on fees, clauses, and loyalty bonuses will probably add in the region of £1m including agent costs, adding on further allowances for increase in costs and new player wages...

That all told would give us a net loss for the 17/18 season of around £16m

This also gives an estimated overall total wage spending of around £27m; our last recorded gross income was £21.2m, lets assume growth of £2m from the cup run, and a further 10% from increase attendance and commercial income, would give us around £25.5m; therefore our wages to turnover, even with the cup run was much worse.

The issue is whether that income (if it does show, eventually, to have risen) is artificially inflated on a once-off basis.

28 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I agree with the sentiments about Korey FWIW, top player but the thrux of this thread would suggest even with the non match day revenues that we're not sustainable as a Championship club judging by transfers covering the losses?

How do Preston and Brentford do it?

Concerned? Yes. 

For comparison Ska, in the 16/17 period, our wages to turnover was 98%. Brentford had a wages to turnover of 166%. Based on the (very) general/rough figures I adopted above (its midnight, meh) gives a indication of our wages to turnover being 106%, and that's being kind. Note also in the below QPR's are artificially deflated due to PP from relegation.

Either way, these supposed 'squad' players, along with last seasons over-reliance on loans, really bitten us in the ass. Only going to get worse with Weimann's suppoed wage at Derby being around £25-30kpw.

image.png.436990c4da58d7c9985c65fd6a6c14fc.png

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fuber said:

What people forget, is that even the average player, lets say Eliasson, costs this club about £350kp/annum in wages.

Outside of the first team, on loan, and others (regarding periods of injury) add up, we spunked wages on: Engvall, Moore, Hinds, Eliasson, Djuric, Dhiediou, Hegeler, Baker, Steele, Taylor, Magnússon, Leko, Woodrow, Diony, Kent (300k fine also), Wright, Walsh, O'Dowda, Pisano, all who either didn't play for periods, at all, or were loaned out.

All not in the team, in cases at all, injured, or intermittently. Then lets say roughly £5kpw average. Diedhiou, Diony, Kent, Woodrow, Leko, on £10kpw,, Baker on £15kpw, being very optimistic. I honestly thing Leko, Woodrow, Diedhiou, Kent, Diony, were all on significantly more, same with Hegeler and Magnússon.

Our last recognised loss (selling Kodj) was £3.26m for the 16/17 season.

For all those on a (supposed average) £5kpw salary (12 of the above), that adds up to £3.12m, Second bracket (10kpw, 6 months for Leko and Kent each) come a further £2.08m, and Baker adding £0.8m (Total Salary increase of an estimated >£6m), Transfers was a further net spend of £9m. Further signing on fees, clauses, and loyalty bonuses will probably add in the region of £1m including agent costs, adding on further allowances for increase in costs and new player wages...

That all told would give us a net loss for the 17/18 season of around £16m

This also gives an estimated overall total wage spending of around £27m; our last recorded gross income was £21.2m, lets assume growth of £2m from the cup run, and a further 10% from increase attendance and commercial income, would give us around £25.5m; therefore our wages to turnover, even with the cup run was much worse.

The issue is whether that income (if it does show, eventually, to have risen) is artificially inflated on a once-off basis.

For comparison Ska, in the 16/17 period, our wages to turnover was 98%. Brentford had a wages to turnover of 166%. Based on the (very) general/rough figures I adopted above (its midnight, meh) gives a indication of our wages to turnover being 106%, and that's being kind. Note also in the below QPR's are artificially deflated due to PP from relegation.

Either way, these supposed 'squad' players, along with last seasons over-reliance on loans, really bitten us in the ass. Only going to get worse with Weimann's suppoed wage at Derby being around £25-30kpw.

image.png.436990c4da58d7c9985c65fd6a6c14fc.png

 

 

Blinding post Fuber, thanks for that.

Essentially then, we don't belong in the Championship, even with the redevelopment as we can't afford to compete unless we take the same risks others take.

**** it then, let's all stay at home.:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were aready performing at this level at the back end of last season. The sale of them all probably hasn't really made a difference honestly, we just had a head start before we were crap last season so our league position didn't look quite so bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Blinding post Fuber, thanks for that.

Essentially then, we don't belong in the Championship, even with the redevelopment as we can't afford to compete unless we take the same risks others take.

**** it then, let's all stay at home.:(

Keep in mind Ska.

Our spending is the same as Brentford. It says a lot about what proper scouting like we had under Kieth Burt, who couldn't half identify a player (Freeman, Ayling, Moore, Robinson, Baker, Kodjia), can achieve at this level.

Reading manage fine, their wages to turnover was 76%, and they posted a profit recently I believe, and made the playoff under Stam that season - so it can be done. But keeping momentum and morale is critical as Reading showed this season, and what Brentford manage everytime.

Something needs to change, if its not LJ, its the coaches, the scouts, the DoF, something.

The problem is that LJ's erratic form highlights poor management of individuals and the squad.

Edited by Fuber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TBW said:

We were aready performing at this level at the back end of last season. The sale of them all probably hasn't really made a difference honestly, we just had a head start before we were crap last season so our league position didn't look quite so bad. 

Players have the ability; they've proven that. And I've mentioned a key word(s) that's all but required at this level. Look at Nuno, Warnock, Jokanovic, Rowett, Bruce, even Dean Smith, McCarthy, Harris, Wilder.

We may not like the all of them on that short list; but they all of that one skill, that key word. Man-management.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...