IGNORED

Ball Boys

WayOutWest

Where were they today?

Watching NM go into the away end and retrieve the ball off the netting when we are 2 down is hard to take. 

In another instance in the second half MT had to jog 15-20 yards to get the ball back. 

It's these little things in a sea of bigger things that perhaps we can sort out and keep the game flowing in our favour. 

Stevo

I've always thought that ball boys/girls should be given a bit of coaching in game managment (they may have but it's not noticeable) so that they can help the team. 

The margins in the professional game are often quite small. So if LJ is measuring the grass etc, looking for every advantage however small, it can't be out of the realms of possibility to tell them to retrieve the ball as quickly as possible when we're losing and take a little more time when we're winning?

54 minutes ago, Dman_Red said:

I've always thought that ball boys/girls should be given a bit of coaching in game managment (they may have but it's not noticeable) so that they can help the team. 

The margins in the professional game are often quite small. So if LJ is measuring the grass etc, looking for every advantage however small, it can't be out of the realms of possibility to tell them to retrieve the ball as quickly as possible when we're losing and take a little more time when we're winning?

Incidentally, Joe Jordan used to tell the ballboys exactly this.

For some reason, none of them needed telling twice!

McAllister did appear to have a word with the one in front of the lansdown stand next to the south stand - surely it’s not a particularly complex job.

The crowd didn’t help either. I appreciate kids want to catch the ball, I’ve been there when we were 3-2 down away at somewhere like Chesterfield in the 90’s - suffice to say I got enough of a prompt from nearby fans to send it back quicker!

Unless... there’s a reverse psychology (waste more time, break the play up and the referee adding more time on).

1 hour ago, Dman_Red said:

No way. They'd only throw it about among themselves for a bit, nice and pretty, but no one would take the initiative to throw it back onto the pitch.

27 minutes ago, solihull cider red said:

McAllister did appear to have a word with the one in front of the lansdown stand next to the south stand - surely it’s not a particularly complex job.

The crowd didn’t help either. I appreciate kids want to catch the ball, I’ve been there when we were 3-2 down away at somewhere like Chesterfield in the 90’s - suffice to say I got enough of a prompt from nearby fans to send it back quicker!

Unless... there’s a reverse psychology (waste more time, break the play up and the referee adding more time on).

I noted that with JM as well and it infuriated me at the time. The absolute horror tactical show on the pitch and our management teams response was to get at a ball boy in regards to getting it into play quicker, don’t get me wrong I know the little things like that could matter in a game where it’s on a knife edge but when you’re playing Watkins up top on his own and it’s not working I’d suggest you have other things to think about !!

Archived