IGNORED

Are you confident Johnson is the man?

BA12RED

Are you confident Johnson is the man?  

410 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

I said no. 

Solely because i dont believe he or the management team are following their sh1te theyve spouted for years about DNA. 

We wanted leaders in the team apparently. I dont see a single one in the team. 

Signings are average at best and, budgets aside and transfer nett spend being decent, he’s also spent money that this club has never spent in the past. 

Too many foreign gambles for me. 

Too many ‘footballers’ and no physical presence throughout the squad. We will be bullied on many occasions this season because of this. 

Plus we dont seem to learn from our mistakes. Basically every goal has been conceded from crosses, yet we defend narrow and allow crosses to come in. Poor, poor coaching in my book and if he’s telling them to defend this way then also poor tactics. Although, if they arent following instructions then our recruitment via DNA has also failed. 

Admittedly it seems his hands are being tied now re budgets but current failings and dismal tippy tappy football means its a no from me. 

For me it’s still way too early to be writing him off but I think your point about LJ’s comments at the end of last season about  wanting to recruit some leaders is a really valid one and could be part of the problems that we’ve experienced in the first few games. Pack is clearly one of our stronger and longest serving players however he doesn’t appear to be that leader character as captain. 

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Nope but you better quote net for the true picture

What 

As I did the other day ?

£42 million recouped (As you may be able to work out approximately %60 in the last window)

Approximately %90 of That total comes from players he didn’t acquire for Bristol City

However you like to avoid it he’s spent £36.45 million in three years on new players 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What 

As I did the other day ?

£42 million recouped (As you may be able to work out approximately %60 in the last window)

Approximately %90 of That total comes from players he didn’t acquire for Bristol City

If you take that stance you better also take into account the 'stock on hand'

I believe that LJ has potential to become an effective and established manager at this level, this is evidenced in the ability to enthuse a team to beat another despite the odds (Man U).....my concern is the inability to maintain form....I would rather have a steady season and progress year on year than have a great first half of the season and fade to inconsequence.

The real question to be asked is;

Would removing him and replacing him with another generate a more positive outcome or would his replacement have the same constraints (ie team, finances at transfer etc) that may inhibit progress.....this is not a dig at any particular party (manager, owner etc)....More a position to be debated....

(I viewed the outcome of this vote and commented...I have not myself placed a vote)

• Admin

I wasn’t enamoured with his appointment, nothing to do with his playing career here, I thought he was more than adequate as a player, just didn’t feel he’d be the right fit as a manager.  Last season, the first half had me convinced I was wrong and he’d won me round, but the crash and shite run after Xmas, that’s still going, put me back to my starting position.

I’ll admit, that I haven’t a clue who I’d replace him with if I was in the position to do so, but I’d be looking for someone with a better consistency and the ability to affect games, which LJ doesn’t seem to do effectively.

Lee Johnson played a RB at LB. Despite having a LB on the bench. He plays a RM as a Forward Despite having 2 strikers on the bench. He plays a CM as a RM. despite having 2 wide players on the bench.

so do I have confidence he’s the man? No simply no 

Johnson is too inconsistent and he doesn't seem to be able to manage a game through substitutions or changing tactics. Yes he managed to get us to a League Cup semi-final for the first time in nearly 30 years, and over the 2017 calendar year, we would easily have made the playoffs. But for 2018, we are clearly in relegation form, and he appears unable to turn things around based on the most recent evidence, despite having had 2 transfer windows in that time.

However being unable to help turn around a game through your own coaching/management ability appears to be a failing common to younger managers. For all that he got England to a World Cup semi final, some of the same issues could be levelled at Gareth Southgate. England had a formation but it clearly didn't work against better opposition, and the goal scoring dried up through a lack of service to Hsrry Kane. But did we have a plan B? Well not one that ever became evident, and eventually both Croatia & Belgium found us out.

I think it might be better that LJ concentrates more on his coaching abilities (apparently he is highly regarded in that respect) and an experienced team manager is appointed to oversee the team on match days etc. I think it will be beneficial to LJ in the long run, he can play to his strengths more.  I don’t want him to lose his job, he’s extremely dedicated but I do think he’s ‘being played out of position’ in some respects and could thrive in a slightly different role.

The thing is that if we had won at Bolton I wouldn’t be regarding it as a bad start. We were expected to lose to Boro and I was very happy with a draw against Forest after their spending. Let’s just say the Bolton match was the anomaly, a win against QPR would hopefully kickstart our season. I don’t think after 10 games we will be where we are now and will be comfortably midtable, which in a rebuild season would be a fair finish. 

6 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I think it might be better that LJ concentrates more on his coaching abilities (apparently he is highly regarded in that respect) and an experienced team manager is appointed to oversee the team on match days etc. I think it will be beneficial to LJ in the long run, he can play to his strengths more.  I don’t want him to lose his job, he’s extremely dedicated but I do think he’s ‘being played out of position’ in some respects and could thrive in a slightly different role.

not a cat in hells chance any of that would happen lj is way to far up his own arse to admit hes struggling .

13 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

As a progressive and innovative coach it amazes me that we still play a system where we are constantly overrun in midfield. I think some of his selections and especially substitutions are mind boggling to say the least. He's fast reaching the last chance saloon.

Do you think we got over-run yesterday?  I thought for once, we didn’t get over-run.

I thought the personnel he picked yesterday was fine, based on the opponent...a tough, physical, direct Boro side.  What I didn’t get was which positions he played them.

Listening to the guy on radio Bristol, at 2pm...he initially had Smith at LB....not sure he’s worked out that the team sheet was in squad number order!!

I fully expected the team to line-up as;

Mäenpää | Hunt, Pisano, Webster, Kelly | Brownhill, Smith, Pack, Watkins | Paterson | Weimann

to me that would’ve made sense given the opposition.

However, I think he got the Pisano / Kelly selection right, thought both had good games.

But it was the triumvirate of of Watkins, Paterson and Weimann that let us down....and Weimann tried his hardest, and looks class.  The other two just didn’t work.  Again I could’ve understood more had Watkins floated behind Weimann, but he played him as the furthest forward which meant most of Weimann’s clever running was deeper.

Does the Watkins up top selection give us another example of over-thinking / trying to be too clever.

I’m not panicking yet, but from my first watch of the season, there are worrying signs.  However, there were positives too.  Too many posters are only looking at just one side of the coin.

3 minutes ago, boss hogg said:

what did flint say?

“I just felt it was time to progress my career. I’m 29 and, with no disrespect to Bristol City,

I felt it was a better chance and opportunity to get promoted to the Premier League and play top-flight football.”

“When someone like Tony Pulis says ‘I want you to come and play centre-half for me’ and shows that desire to sign you, that’s also a big factor. He’s vastly experienced – he knows what he wants and he gets it.”

Archived