Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

BA12RED

Are you confident Johnson is the man?

Are you confident Johnson is the man?  

410 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What is the rest of the question?

If the second part of the question is

... to take us back to League One    a lot of people are going to look like chumps.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What is the rest of the question?

I think looking at him today its

’whose been seen in Greggs three times daily , in recent months’

:blink:

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Sad 1

I said no. 

Solely because i dont believe he or the management team are following their sh1te theyve spouted for years about DNA. 

We wanted leaders in the team apparently. I dont see a single one in the team. 

Signings are average at best and, budgets aside and transfer nett spend being decent, he’s also spent money that this club has never spent in the past. 

Too many foreign gambles for me. 

Too many ‘footballers’ and no physical presence throughout the squad. We will be bullied on many occasions this season because of this. 

Plus we dont seem to learn from our mistakes. Basically every goal has been conceded from crosses, yet we defend narrow and allow crosses to come in. Poor, poor coaching in my book and if he’s telling them to defend this way then also poor tactics. Although, if they arent following instructions then our recruitment via DNA has also failed. 

Admittedly it seems his hands are being tied now re budgets but current failings and dismal tippy tappy football means its a no from me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

The man for what?

To take us to the Prem? No but only 1 has done that in 100 years so not necessarily a bad thing

Yep and i only spent 90k getting us there

The man for the job clearly 🤣 nothing like being sarcastic on a forum :laugh:. I personally can’t see many positives right now as much as I want him to succeed :(

I think he should get longer but when you ask me am I convinced he is the man to see us promoted? Hell no and don’t see how anybody could be. Made us better? Yes Seen us through a rebuilding phase? Yes Been a success in his time here? So far undoubtedly but he has shown no signs of consistency and limited signs in improving his game management.

Think he is quite clever with an initial gameplan but if it gets found out he is a deer in headlight. His teams continue to make the same mistakes in the same situations. 

I need to see a lot more before I could ever say LJ is the man to take us to the next level. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think he should get longer but when you ask me am I convinced he is the man to see us promoted? Hell no and don’t see how anybody could be. Made us better? Yes Seen us through a rebuilding phase? Yes Been a success in his time here? So far undoubtedly but he has shown no signs of consistency and limited signs in improving his game management.

Think he is quite clever with an initial gameplan but if it gets found out he is a deer in headlight. His teams continue to make the same mistakes in the same situations. 

I need to see a lot more before I could ever say LJ is the man to take us to the next level. 

Sums up what a lot of us are thinking... doing ok but could do with an extra 10% sometimes. Especially at killing games off...

• Like 1

As a progressive and innovative coach it amazes me that we still play a system where we are constantly overrun in midfield. I think some of his selections and especially substitutions are mind boggling to say the least. He's fast reaching the last chance saloon.

25 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

The man for what?

To take us to the Prem? No but only 1 has done that in 100 years so not necessarily a bad thing

Sorry mate but SL cannot seriously be waiting for another AD to appear by magic??

3 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Sorry mate but SL cannot seriously be waiting for another AD to appear by magic??

Exactly, Johnson is working with the tools he has and doing a decent job

• Haha 1

@nickolas

On the defending narrow point. Last season when we had WrWright especially and Magnússon to an extent at full back, where was the natural width in defence?

That said, that was a perfect (brought about by injury?) combination of players, form and momentum. Perfect storm, all came together really well. Can't replicate a narrow defensive shape successfully with the current setup feel.

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Maybe not his fault but he cannot attract the players we should have. He's a mediocre to poor novice manager working with similiar standard players. I'm not happy with that personally.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Should of resigned after the hull debacle 

?? Confused. I believe you are a massive SL fan. Whose decision should it be? Is it Johnson's responsibility to resign or SLs to sack him??

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

£36.45 million in 3 years and 50 players recruited he’s had plenty of shopping time indulgence

and hardly been shopping in Poundland has he 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

His "Moobs" we're clearly visible from the south stand today..that is all.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Redstoke said:

His "Moobs" we're clearly visible from the south stand today..that is all.

From the Dolman he’s more and more looking Weebles Wobble !!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

To be fair that wasnt the only pair of tits in the home dugout today.

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

I said no. 

Solely because i dont believe he or the management team are following their sh1te theyve spouted for years about DNA. 

We wanted leaders in the team apparently. I dont see a single one in the team. 

Signings are average at best and, budgets aside and transfer nett spend being decent, he’s also spent money that this club has never spent in the past. 

Too many foreign gambles for me. 

Too many ‘footballers’ and no physical presence throughout the squad. We will be bullied on many occasions this season because of this. 

Plus we dont seem to learn from our mistakes. Basically every goal has been conceded from crosses, yet we defend narrow and allow crosses to come in. Poor, poor coaching in my book and if he’s telling them to defend this way then also poor tactics. Although, if they arent following instructions then our recruitment via DNA has also failed. 

Admittedly it seems his hands are being tied now re budgets but current failings and dismal tippy tappy football means its a no from me. 

For me it’s still way too early to be writing him off but I think your point about LJ’s comments at the end of last season about  wanting to recruit some leaders is a really valid one and could be part of the problems that we’ve experienced in the first few games. Pack is clearly one of our stronger and longest serving players however he doesn’t appear to be that leader character as captain. 

26 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

£36.45 million in 3 years and 50 players recruited he’s had plenty of shopping time indulgence

and hardly been shopping in Poundland has he 

Nope but you better quote net for the true picture

20 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

But they don't fall down.😂😂

Edited by CityCiderEd

The wording "am I confident" leads me to answer no.

Do I think he could come good? Possibly. 

My real issue with the club is Mark Ashton. Am I confident that he is taking the club forwards under the remit of his role? Not a sodding chance. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robin Ashton said:

No, and I have no confidence that SL would replace him with anyone better either.

Don’t judge a book by the cover unless you cover just another?

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Nope but you better quote net for the true picture

What 

As I did the other day ?

£42 million recouped (As you may be able to work out approximately %60 in the last window)

Approximately %90 of That total comes from players he didn’t acquire for Bristol City

However you like to avoid it he’s spent £36.45 million in three years on new players 

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What 

As I did the other day ?

£42 million recouped (As you may be able to work out approximately %60 in the last window)

Approximately %90 of That total comes from players he didn’t acquire for Bristol City

If you take that stance you better also take into account the 'stock on hand'

I believe that LJ has potential to become an effective and established manager at this level, this is evidenced in the ability to enthuse a team to beat another despite the odds (Man U).....my concern is the inability to maintain form....I would rather have a steady season and progress year on year than have a great first half of the season and fade to inconsequence.

The real question to be asked is;

Would removing him and replacing him with another generate a more positive outcome or would his replacement have the same constraints (ie team, finances at transfer etc) that may inhibit progress.....this is not a dig at any particular party (manager, owner etc)....More a position to be debated....

(I viewed the outcome of this vote and commented...I have not myself placed a vote)

Edited by MelksRed
  • Like 2

I wasn’t enamoured with his appointment, nothing to do with his playing career here, I thought he was more than adequate as a player, just didn’t feel he’d be the right fit as a manager.  Last season, the first half had me convinced I was wrong and he’d won me round, but the crash and shite run after Xmas, that’s still going, put me back to my starting position.

I’ll admit, that I haven’t a clue who I’d replace him with if I was in the position to do so, but I’d be looking for someone with a better consistency and the ability to affect games, which LJ doesn’t seem to do effectively.

Lee Johnson played a RB at LB. Despite having a LB on the bench. He plays a RM as a Forward Despite having 2 strikers on the bench. He plays a CM as a RM. despite having 2 wide players on the bench.

so do I have confidence he’s the man? No simply no 

• Like 1

Johnson is too inconsistent and he doesn't seem to be able to manage a game through substitutions or changing tactics. Yes he managed to get us to a League Cup semi-final for the first time in nearly 30 years, and over the 2017 calendar year, we would easily have made the playoffs. But for 2018, we are clearly in relegation form, and he appears unable to turn things around based on the most recent evidence, despite having had 2 transfer windows in that time.

However being unable to help turn around a game through your own coaching/management ability appears to be a failing common to younger managers. For all that he got England to a World Cup semi final, some of the same issues could be levelled at Gareth Southgate. England had a formation but it clearly didn't work against better opposition, and the goal scoring dried up through a lack of service to Hsrry Kane. But did we have a plan B? Well not one that ever became evident, and eventually both Croatia & Belgium found us out.

• Like 2

Who else are we getting? Answers on a post it...

just seems people are willing to fire without reasonable alternatives. If people have viable/reasonable alternatives then him not taking us forward may have good grounds.  

I think it might be better that LJ concentrates more on his coaching abilities (apparently he is highly regarded in that respect) and an experienced team manager is appointed to oversee the team on match days etc. I think it will be beneficial to LJ in the long run, he can play to his strengths more.  I don’t want him to lose his job, he’s extremely dedicated but I do think he’s ‘being played out of position’ in some respects and could thrive in a slightly different role.

The thing is that if we had won at Bolton I wouldn’t be regarding it as a bad start. We were expected to lose to Boro and I was very happy with a draw against Forest after their spending. Let’s just say the Bolton match was the anomaly, a win against QPR would hopefully kickstart our season. I don’t think after 10 games we will be where we are now and will be comfortably midtable, which in a rebuild season would be a fair finish. 

Edited by marcofisher

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Twice daily Bob, he’s a Wurzels fan. 

• Haha 1