IGNORED

LJ publicly puts pressure on SL for signings

Major Isewater

LJ states that we need to bring more players in his aftermatch press conference.

I agree with him but ;

It puts pressure on SL publicly which deflects responsibility for results from LJ and I'm sure this will anger the owner.

As Fielding said on the BCTV commentary all the players at the club,  bar him and Pack , are LJ's signings so what we have is down to him.

I don't believe that now is the moment to undermine a new team by , effectively saying ' you're not good enough '.

A destructive interview IMHO LJ  has put himself under a lot of pressure.

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

LJ states that we need to bring more players in his aftermatch press conference.

I agree with him but ;

It puts pressure on SL publicly which deflects responsibility for results from LJ and I'm sure this will anger the owner.

As Fielding said on the BCTV commentary all the players at the club,  bar him and Pack , are LJ's signings so what we have is down to him.

I don't believe that now is the moment to undermine a new team by , effectively saying ' you're not good enough '.

Should have kept more players for a start and a another few windows like the xmas window will see us in the bottom division.

3 or 4 decent players are far better than 30 unproven/for the future types......funny the best player on the pitch so far has been one he didn't bring here.....says it all really.

SL will not keep chucking money down a bottomless pit, he will be hoping for much more from LJ pretty quick

Fair play to him - as my friend said, we lost 30m of talent and replaced it with 10m, he should put pressure on those above to give him the tools to work with, as it stands with this squad I’m happy to finish anywhere between 15-20th. 

Again as pointed out somewhere on here, Boro front 2 yesterday cost more than our whole squad, that’s what we’re up against 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree with him but ;

He is the head coach and is therefore not in control of policy. What he has said and his previous remark about not wanting to be a club that focuses only on the future seem to show his frustration with that. The seemingly inevitable injury crisis has made matters worse and he is obviously feeling the pressure.

It seems evident that the main aim of the summer was to generate big profits. MA and SL have made it pretty clear that promotion is not the aim. They seem to be banking on us retaining Championship status and the strategy paying off in the long term, Alan Dicks style.

The strategy is fine in principle but the priorities keep lurching between extremes, which has led to inconsistent recruitment. That in turn has been exacerbated by inconsistency in selection and tactics.

A perfect storm may be brewing in what amounts to a battle between LJ and MA, especially as there is no buffer in the form of a DoF. Watch this space.

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He is the head coach and is therefore not in control of policy. What he has said and his previous remark about not wanting to be a club that focuses only on the future seem to show his frustration with that. The seemingly inevitable injury crisis has made matters worse and he is obviously feeling the pressure.

It seems evident that the main aim of the summer was to generate big profits. MA and SL have made it pretty clear that promotion is not the aim. They seem to be banking on us retaining Championship status and the strategy paying off in the long term, Alan Dicks style.

The strategy is fine in principle but the priorities keep lurching between extremes, which has led to inconsistent recruitment. That in turn has been exacerbated by inconsistency in selection and tactics.

A perfect storm may be brewing in what amounts to a battle between LJ and MA, especially as there is no buffer in the form of a DoF. Watch this space.

Whilst the Clubs philosophy is admirable...It's not going to give us a chance of any type of Promotion in the near future.

However...I'm not sure of a solution anymore, as we cannot compete with the amount of money floating around in this division. And it's only going to get worse imo.

What we have developed is way of competing in this division, without the money, that will give us a chance to establish ourselves in the division, but not a chance in hell of promotion.

It's a catch 22 tbh.

When fans talk about brining in a new coach or manager, I'm not sure there are many out there that would agree to work under the Clubs philosophy...as it is long term, and the majority of managers work short term. It's how it is...regardless of what's agreed at interview stage. Once a manager or coach has got that 3-4 year contract under his belt, the mindset is all about self survival, not Club survival, as it's their career...they need short term success to keep in the shop window.

I can see us becoming like the 'Crewe' of the Championship if we continue in the same philosophy. LJ being like Dario Gradi.

Whilst I believe LJ wants the philosophy to work, he's now finding out how difficult it's going to be, especially when you do have a half decent season and you lose 3 of your better players in one go. That's the future under this philosophy.

At some point the pressure will become too much and either he will leave, or get sacked, and the next coach manager will be an inexperienced coach or manager at this level, who see's it as a big opportunity and will say anything to get the job.

Not many experienced managers would come here and actually work with the Clubs philosophy.

I can see it becoming like when Mick was at Ipswich...knowing the limitations and doing the best you can...being very honest in interviews but with an air of frustration as deep down you know you are just keeping a ship afloat.

But would you trust LJ with any money?

Five/six windows and 40 plus players in and STILL need a ‘spine’ of leaders, physically and mentally robust, consistent 7/10 players. Keeper, centre back, centre midfield, centre forward. 

I think some may view his chances as running out, and that now may include SL.

‘Talks a good game’ similar to ‘Knows what he needs,’ but time and time again he fails to deliver. Staggering.

He’s clearly identified a lack of leaders and players ready to stand up to the physical challenge of the Championship. What ‘leaders’and ‘warriors’ did he buy in this Summer?

Its all now becoming a bit of a shambles I fear. 

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Not many experienced managers would come here and actually work with the Clubs philosophy.

I can see it becoming like when Mick was at Ipswich...knowing the limitations and doing the best you can...being very honest in interviews but with an air of frustration as deep down you know you are just keeping a ship afloat.

The first paragraph is exactly my view. Cotts couldn't live with it, the chances of the kind of big name manager people crave accepting it are close to zero. They tend to be the type that demand complete control and lots of money to spend - then complain it wasn't enough.

The second paragraph is the parallel I had in mind. I have a lot of respect for Mick but I suspect that even those who want him to take over would not enjoy his bluntness and honesty for long.

Also the message to any incoming players must be very clear when they see three of our best sold. I was looking around yesterday and deciding who is going to be the next ones to be sold as that’s how we look to be going.

No doubt incoming players were sold our ambition plans but in reality what do they see. During the Preston match last night it was mentioned how well their owner works and how he has successfully fended off bids for almost all of his players. Yes I realise the contract situation with Bobby and Joe, but how did it get to that, even with Bobby being a one season wonder.

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

Also the message to any incoming players must be very clear when they see three of our best sold. I was looking around yesterday and deciding who is going to be the next ones to be sold as that’s how we look to be going.

No doubt incoming players were sold our ambition plans but in reality what do they see. During the Preston match last night it was mentioned how well their owner works and how he has successfully fended off bids for almost all of his players. Yes I realise the contract situation with Bobby and Joe, but how did it get to that, even with Bobby being a one season wonder.

Bobby is not down to LJ - he did it for one season only, why would he have been given a bumper contract anytime before last season? 

Bobby Reid hit the jackpot last season and has cashed in, who can blame him, for what it’s worth I don’t actually think BR will ever have a season like he did last season again. For himself personally he did the right thing by leaving 

44 minutes ago, spudski said:

Whilst the Clubs philosophy is admirable...It's not going to give us a chance of any type of Promotion in the near future.

However...I'm not sure of a solution anymore, as we cannot compete with the amount of money floating around in this division. And it's only going to get worse imo.

What we have developed is way of competing in this division, without the money, that will give us a chance to establish ourselves in the division, but not a chance in hell of promotion.

It's a catch 22 tbh.

When fans talk about brining in a new coach or manager, I'm not sure there are many out there that would agree to work under the Clubs philosophy...as it is long term, and the majority of managers work short term. It's how it is...regardless of what's agreed at interview stage. Once a manager or coach has got that 3-4 year contract under his belt, the mindset is all about self survival, not Club survival, as it's their career...they need short term success to keep in the shop window.

I can see us becoming like the 'Crewe' of the Championship if we continue in the same philosophy. LJ being like Dario Gradi.

Whilst I believe LJ wants the philosophy to work, he's now finding out how difficult it's going to be, especially when you do have a half decent season and you lose 3 of your better players in one go. That's the future under this philosophy.

At some point the pressure will become too much and either he will leave, or get sacked, and the next coach manager will be an inexperienced coach or manager at this level, who see's it as a big opportunity and will say anything to get the job.

I think that is in the main an accurate but somewhat depressing summary of where we are.

As it becomes clearer to most that survival and of course cash generation, is what we are about let's see how the attendances do through a hard winter.

I have said all along the current philosophy will see us nowhere near promotion - some on here have completely rejected that but now the implications of the plan are becoming clear after this summers business.

Personally, I think it is hugely risky, this is a tough league and we look ill equipped to survive in it currently.

When you bear in mind Blackburn are apparently trying to sign a reserve striker with Forrest for £8m to be made permenant in January it shows a club looking to put money in the bank rather than success on the pitch may have problems in this league pretty soon.

The January window made me highly suspicious of the clubs plans, the last few weeks have eradicated any doubts.

This will never happen, but the owner needs to be honest with the supporters now, all this PL and higher league position nonsense needs to stop.

Yesterday was far from enjoyable and I see many more Saturday's like that.

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

The majority of players now coming to us, are promising young hungry players, that still need developing.

The very top Championship sides won't be buying them as they are still not the finished article.

We compete by giving them a chance, whilst developing them, and with a strategy that will give us a chance of establishing ourselves in the Championship.

Those players coming in, will know we aren't serious Promotion contenders.

However...they will know they get a chance to develop, on a half decent wage, and if they perform with hunger and passion and desire, and play well, they will get noticed by bigger teams, who will come in and buy them.

They see us as a platform to their career.

What we are doing as a club, is trying to make sure that those players play every week with that passion and desire, that all of them do it every game, and in doing so, we win games.

Whether the players are doing it for themselves or for the Club is a different thing. They will all imo, be doing it for themselves.

That's why we want young hungry players with desire and willing to graft to better themselves.

Soon as you get players willing to just go through the motions on a half decent wage, willing to settle, that's when form drops.

My gut instinct is that Baker is one of those types of players. As is Wright and Smith. Whilst they give added experience...they know deep down they aren't Prem standard, but can be a Championship player without busting a gut.

That's the problem you have with a Club like ourselves. That's why I'm happy to see the likes of Kelly being given a go. He'll bust a gut for himself which will reward us.

That's how our philosophy works.

Until the Clubs philosophy changes, imo, fans need to adjust their expectations. We aren't going to be Promotion contenders under it.

So we as fans can moan and demand a different approach if their is one...or enjoy what we have and enjoy watching the development and passion of the youngsters coming through ala how Tinman see's it.

It's a catch 22...of which the majority won't be happy with imo.

I understand most of the reasons for the summer sale of Flint, Reid, Bryan, Magnússon, Djuric, Engvall. Have I missed anyone? 

But, IMO, the most stupid bit of business was to let Zak Vyner go on loan to Rotherham. We're short of defenders through injury yet he's not able to help us. Crazy decision. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree with him but ;

And Korey...

@spudski, save quoting your excellent post, but I totally agree with you. We have a team of hard working players on the whole who if they work hard can see there is opportunity, but probably not with us. Other clubs can easily pick up these players, just as we tend to do from a League One etc. It’s a pecking order, and as long as we understand as fans where we are within this that’s ok. It’s when expectation goes beyond what we can or want to deliver the wobbles start. We overachieved first half of last season and are paying the price now.

I agree with him but ;

You can't make allowances for 3/4 centre halves to be injured at the same time so I have sympathy for him there. But he has stated he has the last say on transfers so whatever the 'policy' he is just as much to blame as the club.  So when one striker is out for the first 6 games and you sell your only other player capable of leading the line it is your fault whether you try and deflect or not. 
We will never know what goes on in the board room but SL regularly supported managers with money so with £16m profit it would be strange if LJ pushed for signings he was turned down. He likes passing blame, remember Mags at Preston, got blamed for the 5-0 when he started on the bench.
I don't think LJ is a great man manager, good for TV and press they love him but  apart from the fit with owners/board (which makes him almost bullet proof)I'm not sure I'm seeing signs of him learning from mistakes.  
A couple of wins will make things look a lot brighter but we are in this strange position due to Johnson, now in 2/3 games time we may well be seeing football along the lines of last years early form, there were some good spells yesterday and with so many forced changes I guess we have to give him some leeway, but as I say the striker problem is solely down to LJ. 

I agree with him but ;

Totally agree major - his comment re Baker ‘..at his best’ was bewilderingly negative - does he think that it was motivational?

pre match he was saying that he had to work with what he has, now he’s trying for replacements. Clumsy, and SL won’t react well. 

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I understand most of the reasons for the summer sale of Flint, Reid, Bryan, Magnússon, Djuric, Engvall. Have I missed anyone? 

But, IMO, the most stupid bit of business was to let Zak Vyner go on loan to Rotherham. We're short of defenders through injury yet he's not able to help us. Crazy decision. 

He would argue about 20 20 hindsight etc, but yes, if Bailey Wrights injury is severe, why let Zak go. A probable January recall.

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

Again as pointed out somewhere on here, Boro front 2 yesterday cost more than our whole squad, that’s what we’re up against 

It’d be much more relevant if their two goals had come from their multimillion pound strike force showing their price tag. But they didn’t. 

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

@spudski, save quoting you’re excellent post, but I totally agree with you. We have a team of hard working players on the whole who if they work hard can see there is opportunity, but probably not with us. Other clubs can easily pick up these players, just as we tend to do from a League One etc. It’s a pecking order, and as long as we understand as fans where we are within this that’s ok. It’s when expectation goes beyond what we can or want to deliver the wobbles start. We overachieved first half of last season and are paying the price now.

Exactly...to do well with our philosophy, you need everyone busting a gut and playing to the best of their ability...plus having a bit of luck with no injuries. you need everything to fall into place.

We don't have the quality in depth  when we have injuries to win games consistently. We can compete to a degree...but it won't be promotion top 6 type form.

Understanding as fans as you say, is important for enjoying the football we are watching. It's not good for anyone's health or happiness to be so aggrieved when things don't go to how we wish and hope.

I see some very unrealistic quotes on here...purely down to frustration and passion.

Unfortunately life's a bitch and following this Club is never going to be an easy ride if you want Prem football and continued success.

If you are happy to see young talent developing and some signs of trying to play attractive football like we did in parts of last year, and knowing deep down we a mid table Championship side at best, then as a fan you'll get a far more relaxed match day experience.

I assume this is the interview you are referring to @Major Isewater

If so , Whatever I think of the pros and cons of aspects of Lee as a HC/ Manager

I have to be honest and fair

I actually think it’s a pretty reasonable sypnosis from him and a perfectly reasonable interview

Hes had me cringing post match numerous times in the past but I can’t pick fault with what he said and thought it one of his most sensible ones

What am I missing ?

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Exactly...to do well with our philosophy, you need everyone busting a gut and playing to the best of their ability...plus having a bit of luck with no injuries. you need everything to fall into place.

We don't have the quality in depth  when we have injuries to win games consistently. We can compete to a degree...but it won't be promotion top 6 type form.

Understanding as fans as you say, is important for enjoying the football we are watching. It's not good for anyone's health or happiness to be so aggrieved when things don't go to how we wish and hope.

I see some very unrealistic quotes on here...purely down to frustration and passion.

Unfortunately life's a bitch and following this Club is never going to be an easy ride if you want Prem football and continued success.

If you are happy to see young talent developing and some signs of trying to play attractive football like we did in parts of last year, and knowing deep down we a mid table Championship side at best, then as a fan you'll get a far more relaxed match day experience.

I broadly agree - and in truth for supporters who will ultimately follow the club through loyalty, whichever division they are in, watching youngsters come through and succeed isn't the worst prospect. The problem I see is with the gap between rhetoric and reality.

I've just listened to Johnson's prematch press conference quotes...they bear almost no relation to the approach the side actually took to the match yesterday...or to his post-match justification for the performance. When Lansdown talks of finishing higher than last season, in a division in which the investment stakes appear to have been raised again, he comes across as whistling in the dark. Wanting something to be true is a long way from delivering.

City are in the entertainment business. Football is an expensive hobby. People will start to drift away from attending, or simply cease to 'believe', at the point at which what's on show bears little relation to what is promised. On the multiple threads on here you can see that already happening. 

14 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It’d be much more relevant if their two goals had come from their multimillion pound strike force showing their price tag. But they didn’t. 

Sorry mate i don’t get what your saying? I’m not sure how it’s not relevant to show we’re not in the same league financially as some of these other clubs, the player who scored yesterday cost 15m. 

I don’t see how people expect us to continually keep matching these sides when our policy is to sell our best players?

12 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Aye. What "we're up against" first and foremost, is ourselves. If there is any sense of "their two forwards cost more than our squad" and "bigger budget teams" and "what can we do/you expect?" thinking/whining circulating amongst the team and staff, then we are in deep shit and back where we were in autumn 2015.

There has been a lot of this on here already, three games in. Do people think Millwall are thinking like this?

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

Fair play to him - as my friend said, we lost 30m of talent and replaced it with 10m, he should put pressure on those above to give him the tools to work with, as it stands with this squad I’m happy to finish anywhere between 15-20th. 

I watched Boro's top man (forgot his name) in a pre-match YouTube video in which he said exactly the same thing; their squad needs strengthening and they're working on it.

Didn't seem to demoralize them, so what's the difference when LJ says it? Genuine question.

I don’t want the club I support to throw in the promotion dream in August.  I don’t want to watch them on a Saturday knowing our only ambition is to be a feeder club for the likes of Villa.  This approach will catch us up in the end and we will end up like Barnsley, a profit in the bank but division 1 football again.   If this is the sole ambition of the owner and board then the fires of enthusiasm has clearly gone out for them and I suggest, despite being great for Bristol City, the love affairs over and it’s time for SL to test the water, put the club up for sale and see if there’s anyone else out there who would like to put Bristol on the footballing map. 

19 minutes ago, RedM said:

@spudski, save quoting you’re excellent post, but I totally agree with you. We have a team of hard working players on the whole who if they work hard can see there is opportunity, but probably not with us. Other clubs can easily pick up these players, just as we tend to do from a League One etc. It’s a pecking order, and as long as we understand as fans where we are within this that’s ok. It’s when expectation goes beyond what we can or want to deliver the wobbles start. We overachieved first half of last season and are paying the price now.

As always a sensible post M

Having been chewing over our philosophy of buying young , develop, sell at a profit

An open question (To all M not just you ;) )

How many players do we have , that we’ve purchased , that would attract a higher fee than we paid  ?

As I’ve posed the Q I’ll have a go

Brownhill (Mainly down to signing him with the comp we had to pay - good business but I don’t think because he’s improved massively whilst here - may be controversial view amongst some)

Taylor (Thanks to their pitiful release clause rather than improvement here) (And we wouldn’t make anything overly tasty)

Diedhiou (Possibly) - Goalscorers always liable to attract a inflated bid / fee

COD ( Marginally As it stands IMHO  - potential to extend that potential profit margin ....)

the rest ?

( Anyone else I’m overlooking ? )

I think we’d do well to recoup what we paid in the vast majority of cases as it currently stands

I havnt included Kelly as we didn’t purchase him but he’s the obvious jewell  value wise in the box right now

Worth considering that in Lee’s time here we have brought in £42million of transfer fees

Somewhere around %90 of that figure has come from the sale of Kodjia , Bryan , Reid and Flint -    none of whom he recruited

Credit must go to any help in development and hence value he’s made while they were here  (But Other than Bobby I’m not sure that applies much to the other three) 

Is the ethos working , even financially ?

There don’t appear to be many saleable Jewell’s in our squad right now

10 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Sorry mate i don’t get what your saying? I’m not sure how it’s not relevant to show we’re not in the same league financially as some of these other clubs, the player who scored yesterday cost 15m. 

I don’t see how people expect us to continually keep matching these sides when our policy is to sell our best players?

If you cannot coach the defensive howlers out of the team, or if you concede a goal because you’re playing a right back at left back, then it doesn’t matter how much money you spend. We could have Ronaldo and Messi playing for us and it wouldn’t matter. We’d probably see them as the ideal CB partnership at the moment. 

My point is that Boro’s wealth is irrelevant. Coaching starts with the coach. 

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree with him but ;

Indeed we are all masters of our own destiny-Lee has spent considerable sums of money during his tenure,but the fact is we see ourselves where we need to reinforce the whole spine of the side-another striking option with somthing of a record at this level plus physicality,quality centre mid,experienced back up between the sticks not to mention cover at CB....

As we sit today Lee's right-were not good enough,but its he whom has ultimate responsibility for what must now be seen as HIS squad.

I’m wondering if the signings made were 1st options.  How far down the list did we go?  I know we are on a very poor run, however with of our top players leaving not wanting to re sign.  I don’t blame Lee for going this route to get quality in on load.

This comment pretty much shows you that who stays and goes is not all down to Lee.  I would of refused to let Flint go until we had a good replacement for him.  The others we have decent enough replacements.  

SL don’t get yer knickers in a twist, give the green light for some top premier league loans.

Archived