IGNORED

LJ publicly puts pressure on SL for signings

Major Isewater

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

It seems evident that the main aim of the summer was to generate big profits. 

Does seem that way. Problem with big profits coming from transfer business is we all see them and say well why havent they reinvested that money in the squad...

what we we don’t always see is those big profits only help to steady the ship in the context of the clubs massive annual losses accross wages and other running costs and new facility costs etc. Don’t forget we’ve handed out a load of new contract putting players on more money, and those players coming in probably demanding reasonable wages. All adds up sadly. Steve Lansdown still hasn’t made any money overall from those player sales, and I think a lot of supporters unfairly think he has and that’s his only aim. Ultimately the only way we’re going to compete regularly with the big spenders in the division is if SL suddenly decides to really go for it but then I don’t know what financial fair play allows in that sense?

25 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I assume this is the interview you are referring to @Major Isewater

If so , Whatever I think of the pros and cons of aspects of Lee as a HC/ Manager

I have to be honest and fair

I actually think it’s a pretty reasonable sypnosis from him and a perfectly reasonable interview

Hes had me cringing post match numerous times in the past but I can’t pick fault with what he said and thought it one of his most sensible ones

What am I missing ?

Yep fair play to him there. None of the usual platitudes and a realistic outlook on our position overall.  Seems a bit more ‘up for it’ as well than usual. Good interview overall. Now lets get something going against QPR. 

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

But would you trust LJ with any money?

Five/six windows and 40 plus players in and STILL need a ‘spine’ of leaders, physically and mentally robust, consistent 7/10 players. Keeper, centre back, centre midfield, centre forward. 

I think some may view his chances as running out, and that now may include SL.

‘Talks a good game’ similar to ‘Knows what he needs,’ but time and time again he fails to deliver. Staggering.

He’s clearly identified a lack of leaders and players ready to stand up to the physical challenge of the Championship. What ‘leaders’and ‘warriors’ did he buy in this Summer?

Its all now becoming a bit of a shambles I fear. 

LJ / MA and their recruitment team can't seem to spot the right players. The Marlon Pack post last week with supporters stating he's our most important player, and we'll struggle if he leaves . Pack was signed in 2013 by SO'D. Surely 3 or 4 of LJ / MA's 40 plus signings should now be the most influential players at the club. It's hell of a mess for the next first team coach or hopefully manager to sort out The substantial money recouped in the summer is from Cotts signings / the academy, as several supporters have said, what is the current value of LJ / MA's signings. SL must bring in a manager with a proven track record, it will be more cost effective too. We can't spend millions on players who don't make the first team. 

35 minutes ago, spudski said:

Exactly...to do well with our philosophy, you need everyone busting a gut and playing to the best of their ability...plus having a bit of luck with no injuries. you need everything to fall into place.

We don't have the quality in depth  when we have injuries to win games consistently. We can compete to a degree...but it won't be promotion top 6 type form.

Understanding as fans as you say, is important for enjoying the football we are watching. It's not good for anyone's health or happiness to be so aggrieved when things don't go to how we wish and hope.

I see some very unrealistic quotes on here...purely down to frustration and passion.

Unfortunately life's a bitch and following this Club is never going to be an easy ride if you want Prem football and continued success.

If you are happy to see young talent developing and some signs of trying to play attractive football like we did in parts of last year, and knowing deep down we a mid table Championship side at best, then as a fan you'll get a far more relaxed match day experience.

There’s some reasonable points in there 

But you have for some time indicated you pick and choose the odd game to attend (I don’t blame you or criticise you for that)

But

If everyone follows your advice above , and also picks the odd game

The Club will be in a dire state of health very quickly

The fact that many have invested 5 /10 / 15. .....40  / 50 years in continuous support , season tickets means that people simply won’t always shrug their shoulders when we are messing up

So he should as how can Ashton think we’re stronger in every position when we sold out 3 best players.

We have little physical presence apart from Fam, Korey and Lloydy with Flint faultless yesterday as no pressure on him to exploit his weaknesses.

Hunt can’t defend + we got him from probably the worst and softest  defence in the division.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

LJ states that we need to bring more players in his aftermatch press conference.

I agree with him but ;

It puts pressure on SL publicly which deflects responsibility for results from LJ and I'm sure this will anger the owner.

As Fielding said on the BCTV commentary all the players at the club,  bar him and Pack , are LJ's signings so what we have is down to him.

I don't believe that now is the moment to undermine a new team by , effectively saying ' you're not good enough '.

A destructive interview IMHO LJ  has put himself under a lot of pressure.

tony pulis has said the same, that the players he has are not good enough, maybe a bit of mind games challenging the players to prove him wrong?

33 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I assume this is the interview you are referring to @Major Isewater

If so , Whatever I think of the pros and cons of aspects of Lee as a HC/ Manager

I have to be honest and fair

I actually think it’s a pretty reasonable sypnosis from him and a perfectly reasonable interview

Hes had me cringing post match numerous times in the past but I can’t pick fault with what he said and thought it one of his most sensible ones

What am I missing ?

His comment on last seasons back 4, Bryan, baker, flint and Wright, really hits home how weak that defence was yesterday. 

15 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Indeed we are all masters of our own destiny-Lee has spent considerable sums of money during his tenure,but the fact is we see ourselves where we need to reinforce the whole spine of the side-another striking option with somthing of a record at this level plus physicality,quality centre mid,experienced back up between the sticks not to mention cover at CB....

As we sit today Lee's right-were not good enough,but its he whom has ultimate responsibility for what must now be seen as HIS squad.

Nailed it

Ive defended him for the actual interview and match sypnosis but this is the underlying elephant in the room

Great post

Said this week , Weve signed a sea of mediocrity for £37million

55 minutes ago, RedM said:

@spudski, save quoting you’re excellent post, but I totally agree with you. We have a team of hard working players on the whole who if they work hard can see there is opportunity, but probably not with us. Other clubs can easily pick up these players, just as we tend to do from a League One etc. It’s a pecking order, and as long as we understand as fans where we are within this that’s ok. It’s when expectation goes beyond what we can or want to deliver the wobbles start. We overachieved first half of last season and are paying the price now.

Yes but it does not help when Lansdown says at the end of last season he wants to push the top 6 this season. I don’t mind our philosphy but don’t tell me we can be a playoff team when you are going to sell our 3 best players and not use more of the funds to improve the squad. We have holes in the squad at CB, GK, CM and ST but yet no signs of any incoming.  Now we are in this horrible cycle of buying average players with average players we can’t get rid of. 

Our summer business would have been good if we kept Flint, Bryan and Reid. As it stands, however, we bought supplemental players with no real players to help them shine. So I am not sure what we are doing anymore. The actions of the club say we want to at least break even most seasons. Their words say we want to compete for promotion. Think that is where the anger comes from. Say one thing and do another. 

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Nailed it

Ive defended him for the actual interview and match sypnosis but this is the underlying elephant in the room

Great post

Said this week , Weve signed a sea of mediocrity for £37million

And this goes back to our discussion last night. Would it not be wiser spending double the money on half the players? Recruitment has been safe for years now. It has led to mostly mediocre signings. Frustrating. 

3 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Sorry mate i don’t get what your saying? I’m not sure how it’s not relevant to show we’re not in the same league financially as some of these other clubs, the player who scored yesterday cost 15m. 

I don’t see how people expect us to continually keep matching these sides when our policy is to sell our best players?

It doesn't help when those best players are replaced with 50%  punts/"i'm sure that there is good player in there somewhere", 25% of 'one's for the future' and only 25% quality.

It doesn't help when there wasn't even a moderate investment to try to push on in January, for me the writing was already on the wall then, the actual ambition of the club does not match the words being uttered by our owner.

It doesn't help when our manager states towards the end of last season that the team lacks leaders on the field and then fails to sign a single player who falls into that category.

It doesn't help that beyond our best (on paper) starting 11 players our squad is indeed mediocre.

Bottom line is we play pretty possession based football but lacking any creativity whatsoever in around the opponents box and more worryingly we are easy to play against. If QPR stick to a plan then they will get something out of Tuesday nights game.

The first goal yesterday came from a breakdown of one of our moves well into the opponents half resulting in the needless giving away of a free kick, a long ball from the keeper Webster is nowhere near strong enough in fact half hearted would be an apt description of his defending but the biggest crime is Hunt is totally the wrong side of the man he should be marking and at no stage did ever look to see where his man was in fact I wouldn't be surprised that he even knew his man was even there, + there was not one midfielder in a defensive position whatsoever, it was suicide.

The 2nd goal came from a ridiculous pass from Pisano from well into the opponents half at least 20 yards backwards resulting in a throw to them well in our half, that throw went into their midfield a couple of passes Pisano confounds his original mistake by not getting anywhere near close enough to the crosser, his attempt to block the cross was pathetic and Hunt once more had no idea where his man was and was far too weak in his defending, was it a foul? probably but he had to be far stronger and stand up to the physicality and knowing where your man actually is is quite important as well, this time including our keeper we had 8 bodies to their 3 in our box when the cross came over and still could not deal with the situation. Game over.

Middlesborough then just had a minimum of 5 lined across their 18 yard knowing that we did not have the creativity to create any clear cut chances.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I understand most of the reasons for the summer sale of Flint, Reid, Bryan, Magnússon, Djuric, Engvall. Have I missed anyone? 

But, IMO, the most stupid bit of business was to let Zak Vyner go on loan to Rotherham. We're short of defenders through injury yet he's not able to help us. Crazy decision. 

It indicated to me supreme optimism that we wouldn’t be involved in a relegation dog-fight and our centre-backs, two made of glass and two untested would be adequate for our needs.

Unbelievably naive in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

And this goes back to our discussion last night. Would it not be wiser spending double the money on half the players? Recruitment has been safe for years now. It has led to mostly mediocre signings. Frustrating. 

Think that’s where my thoughts take me Joe, or at least a balance

It won’t happen though

Cardiff (prior to Promotion and the last ‘pre prem’ window) during Lees tenure here , had a net spend on transfer fees of ................. Ill come back to that .......

In this period we were in deficit on transfer fees during this Lee’s period of £10 million 

Cardiff I’m sure somebody will point out (I assume) spent on decent wages 

We spent money on transfer fees 

Oh Cardiff’s net spend on transfer fees was £1.34 million .........

Makes you think ........

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes but it does not help when Lansdown says at the end of last season he wants to push the top 6 this season. I don’t mind our philosphy but don’t tell me we can be a playoff team when you are going to sell our 3 best players and not use more of the funds to improve the squad. We have holes in the squad at CB, GK, CM and ST but yet no signs of any incoming.  Now we are in this horrible cycle of buying average players with average players we can’t get rid of. 

Our summer business would have been good if we kept Flint, Bryan and Reid. As it stands, however, we bought supplemental players with no real players to help them shine. So I am not sure what we are doing anymore. The actions of the club say we want to at least break even most seasons. Their words say we want to compete for promotion. Think that is where the anger comes from. Say one thing and do another. 

And to quote Mark Ashton in his letter to ST holders: 'our transfer recruitment has been very strong and the competition for places is clearly evident....I have no doubt that the combined experience, quality and work ethic of the players at Lee Johnson's disposal will aid us in our challenge to improve and reach new heights.' 

I'm not sure I believe that any more than you do!

14 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Our summer business would have been good if we kept Flint, Bryan and Reid. As it stands, however, we bought supplemental players with no real players to help them shine. So I am not sure what we are doing anymore. The actions of the club say we want to at least break even most seasons. Their words say we want to compete for promotion. Think that is where the anger comes from. Say one thing and do another

Completely agree Joe -  this is the nub of the problem.  If we are literally just going to sell our best players every season - whether by design because that is now the model for self sufficiency, or because we won’t pay them the going rate or anywhere near the going rate for this division - then just say it. Stop with the ‘Europe in 5 years, We want to be a Prem team, Prem team in waiting’ bull and just say it. But they won’t. Because they also know the outcry that this would cause as well. And that would be reflected in bums on seats for sure.  

Just now, Red Exile said:

And to quote Mark Ashton in his letter to ST holders: 'our transfer recruitment has been very strong and the competition for places is clearly evident....I have no doubt that the combined experience, quality and work ethic of the players at Lee Johnson's disposal will aid us in our challenge to improve and reach new heights.' 

I'm not sure I believe that any more than you do!

The recruitment was not awful tbf but imo they were all complimentary players to bigger stars. Now Weimann I think could be tidy next to Fam but he should be paired next to a 6m player! The worry is everyone else.

Fine with Webster as he has potential but needs to find it faster. Then is Hunt a wise choice next to him? Maybe a more traditional RB would have been wiser if Webster likes to step up into midfield? 

Watkins would have been a good player to have last season. He could have played right allowing Brownhill to remain central. Now we have a glut of young promising wingers but have to fit Watkins in there. 

Adelakun and Eisa are fine signings but their minutes on the pitch(I know HA is injured) will be taken from them by Paterson, Taylor and Watkins. Why? 

I wish we would be a bit braver and show more faith in the young players. There are numerous u21 players contributing throughout the division. We have enough experience in the side that we don’t need to bring in anymore Watkins or Hegelers. 

Also, why not add a bit of quality with the funds we have raised? We signed good hard working pros but who is going to change the game when we need some magic? Paterson? No we have missed out and will suffer until at least January. We don’t have a great mix. Soft defensively and bereft of ideas going forward. Diedhiou may solve some issues but we won’t be close to competing with the top 8 or so

59 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

If you cannot coach the defensive howlers out of the team, or if you concede a goal because you’re playing a right back at left back, then it doesn’t matter how much money you spend. We could have Ronaldo and Messi playing for us and it wouldn’t matter. We’d probably see them as the ideal CB partnership at the moment. 

My point is that Boro’s wealth is irrelevant. Coaching starts with the coach. 

The first goal came from an individual mistake which happens to all players at some time = not coaches fault.

The second came from excellent link up play in midfield leading to Downing finding space on the wing and getting a cross in despite being closed down by 2 defenders, a right back at left back had absolutely no bearing on this goal = not coaches fault, great play from opposition.

Opinion from where I was sat.

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

There’s some reasonable points in there 

But you have for some time indicated you pick and choose the odd game to attend (I don’t blame you or criticise you for that)

But

If everyone follows your advice above , and also picks the odd game

The Club will be in a dire state of health very quickly

The fact that many have invested 5 /10 / 15. .....40  / 50 years in continuous support , season tickets means that people simply won’t always shrug their shoulders when we are messing up

I've been going regularly to home match's and selected away for many years...and when I didn't, it was when I was working abroad. It's only really this season that I've made a decision to just pick a few games to watch when I want.

Tbh...I've lost the passion that I once had. Not just with the Club but with football in this country in general.

I've resigned myself to the fact, that football as a way of life, isn't going to be how I like it anymore...so don't see the point of wasting my time and effort and money doing something that now has just become a habit. I really don't enjoy so many elements of football these days. Don't get me wrong...I love football and City...it's ingrained. But it's like a fond memory in so many ways.

Too many things have eroded away my passion over time.

I personally don't think the pricing of football is value for money. That puts me off.

Getting to the ground for me, either by driving or public transport is a complete ball ache. I just don't have the time or patience these days to be stuck in traffic, looking for car parking, and having to make a concerted effort and plan of action to get to the ground. It's like a military exercise for me.

I'm not fond of the way football fans are treated...I don't like the heard and pack mentality and being treated as such.

I don't like the fact we can't have a drink in the ground during a game, and all the other little bits of things that irritate, that the Club and other clubs think are acceptable.

It's just a business, run by corporates that have no knowledge of the Club, it's history or it's fan base...If you don't know what Rob Newman looks like... ?

It's just about giving a match day 'experience' now....the Club would really be happy to have families coming along and treating it like a day out to the cinema.

Imo...they don't want the hard core fan and his opinions. They want your money...to put up and shut up...and just support regardless.

They will say all the right things to make it still look like Club...but it isn't...it's purely business...and it's purely business for the players too.

The generation of youngsters growing up now watching the City aren't going to have the ingrained passion we've built up over the years...it's a totally different animal.

The majority of fans that moan are our age...40 and over. Because we all remember 'the good ol' days'.

For the younger generations they know no different, so have nothing to compare it with.

I'm numb from it all.... like I said...I still have the passion and it's ingrained...but there are now so many things that are negative for me, that stop me going on a regular basis.

I'd rather spend my Saturday now, playing golf with a full membership at a Club, that's value for money....offers entertainment, with likeminded people, in nice surroundings, being active, enjoying sport, playing and having a drink and meal in nice surroundings without being pestered and irritated, easy to travel too, with no problem parking....and still have time and the disposable income to enjoy with family, friends and loved ones the same day.

Yes i'll miss the actual game...and meeting with fellow city supporting friends in the pub before and after...the 'tradition'...but I can do that occasionally now, instead of every week.

I realise that's not for everyone...and the club would suffer if everyone did it.

But I want to enjoy my life now...I don't suffer business, the traffic and parking problems or fools gladly these days. I don't have the patience for it.

So Golf, family days out, local pub with friends, weekends away etc will take preference over following the Club more so from now on.

Just my personal choice and I understand why people still go regularly and it's their life.

I can still keep in touch with everything that's going on at the Club from people I know that are more involved in the game.

However...In saying all that...I know more people making this sort of decision that renewing season tickets.

18 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

The first goal came from an individual mistake which happens to all players at some time = not coaches fault.

The second came from excellent link up play in midfield leading to Downing finding space on the wing and getting a cross in despite being closed down by 2 defenders, a right back at left back had absolutely no bearing on this goal = not coaches fault, great play from opposition.

Opinion from where I was sat.

Point one I’ll give you. I suppose I’m still a little hurt from the stick Cotts got at the end of his tenure here when defenders individual mistakes were costing us left right and centre. No one had an iota of sympathy then. 

Point two I don’t agree with. Had Pisano been on the right and had the attack come from the right, or had there been a LB at LB then I think the player gets a lot closer to Downing. Pisano got nowhere near, to the extent it may have well been 16st me at LB. That was LJ’s team selection and therefore he must shoulder some blame for it. 

I really don’t get this whole, “let’s all be content because it was Middlesboro” mantra that some seem to have. We shouldn’t be so comfortably beaten at home by anyone in this league. 

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

LJ states that we need to bring more players in his aftermatch press conference.

I agree with him but ;

It puts pressure on SL publicly which deflects responsibility for results from LJ and I'm sure this will anger the owner.

As Fielding said on the BCTV commentary all the players at the club,  bar him and Pack , are LJ's signings so what we have is down to him.

I don't believe that now is the moment to undermine a new team by , effectively saying ' you're not good enough '.

A destructive interview IMHO LJ  has put himself under a lot of pressure.

Ouch on two fronts:

LJ’s comments re SL

FF’s comments re LJ

LJ will be under massive pressure now.  SL won’t like that at all.  With Cotts, SL made sure he got his shots away first in a radio interview...that was the death knell for Cotts.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Exactly...to do well with our philosophy, you need everyone busting a gut and playing to the best of their ability...plus having a bit of luck with no injuries. you need everything to fall into place.

We don't have the quality in depth  when we have injuries to win games consistently. We can compete to a degree...but it won't be promotion top 6 type form.

Understanding as fans as you say, is important for enjoying the football we are watching. It's not good for anyone's health or happiness to be so aggrieved when things don't go to how we wish and hope.

I see some very unrealistic quotes on here...purely down to frustration and passion.

Unfortunately life's a bitch and following this Club is never going to be an easy ride if you want Prem football and continued success.

If you are happy to see young talent developing and some signs of trying to play attractive football like we did in parts of last year, and knowing deep down we a mid table Championship side at best, then as a fan you'll get a far more relaxed match day experience.

As RedM said, you make some excellent points, Spudski.

However, if we are a mid table Championship club, why are Bournemouth currently doing so well in the Prem ? They are a lower league 1 club.

Similar sized clubs to us have made it, yet for some reason we don't (I am thinking Burnley, Swansea, Cardiff, Watford, Huddersfield, to name just a few)

2 hours ago, One BCFC said:

I don't genuinely believe LJ has full control of the transfers. I don't see what would change if he gets sacked, we'd just appoint another yes man. 

IF Lee is sacked - and I don't think it's even worth entertaining the possibility before Christmas - I'd like to see him take Mark Ashton with him.

Otherwise, as you say, the new manager will find himself in a similar position.

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've been going regularly to home match's and selected away for many years...and when I didn't, it was when I was working abroad. It's only really this season that I've made a decision to just pick a few games to watch when I want.......

......... preference over following the Club more so from now on.

Just my personal choice and I understand why people still go regularly and it's their life.

I can still keep in touch with everything that's going on at the Club from people I know that are more involved in the game.

However...In saying all that...I know more people making this sort of decision that renewing season tickets.

Good post 

I make it clear I wasn’t having a dig at your decision , I know of other long term season ticket holders who feel a bit flat with it all and lots of things you highlight and are on the verge of chucking it in

Im not sure I’m too far away either

I was merely pointing out that it’s easy to say ‘don’t let it get to you’ if you have got to that point

It may sound hard to believe  :laughcont: but I’ve become more ambilvilent over recent years than how I was

I can always accept struggles and even relegations

What I can’t ever swallow and never will , is unnecessary struggles , and certainly unnecessary relegations , seen too many

6 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

However, if we are a mid table Championship club, why are Bournemouth currently doing so well in the Prem ? They are a lower league 1 club.

Similar sized clubs to us have made it, yet for some reason we don't (I am thinking Burnley, Swansea, Cardiff, Watford, Huddersfield, to name just a few)

Bournemouth broke the old rules to get promoted.

Cardiff and Huddersfield (the recent promotees) have good managers (Warnock a top manager at this level), and in Wagner’s case, tapped a very good market for cheap players.

The others weren’t hampered by FFP.

Back to Cardiff and Huddersfeld, an upgrade on manager could name a difference, but don’t bank on it at Bristol City.

7 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Each Club you mentioned made decisions, all different, and made it. Some make the same decisions and don't. There are far more Clubs that don't than do. It's easy to see these Clubs and ask why not us...and it is hard to take, after all we've been through. However for many years we've been a big club in a small pond, with very very poor infrastructure.

As a professional Club that's been run over a hundred years, it's only in the last few years that we have run anything like a Professional Club should infrastructure wise.

Thrown money at short term success...with little or no decent manager, coaching, no direction and very poor scouting structure.

All those Clubs you mentioned put in far  better infrastructure sooner than us.

We are still playing catch up in many ways...and it's coming back to haunt us, as the pond we are in has so many bigger richer fish every year.

Then take into consideration what Davefevs say's above and you'll get a fair considered answer ?

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

IF Lee is sacked - and I don't think it's even worth entertaining the possibility before Christmas - I'd like to see him take Mark Ashton with him.

Otherwise, as you say, the new manager will find himself in a similar position.

It does not matter, the next Manager will be another LJ type yes man either way. This club needs strong leadership.

5 minutes ago, One BCFC said:

It does not matter, the next Manager will be another LJ type yes man either way. This club needs strong leadership.

Do you think Lansdown decides new singings? He doesn't. In fact, he probably hasn't even heard of most of the players who've come in before the management team approaches him with a proposal to sign.

The team of Johnson and Ashton decide the squad. Any deficiencies in that department has to be laid at their door.

1 hour ago, Red Army 87 said:

His comment on last seasons back 4, Bryan, baker, flint and Wright, really hits home how weak that defence was yesterday. 

Why he referred to last season, “we were this & that”, is just making excuses.

We are in the here & now, and so start Coaching.

Not had chance to see any match yet, but seems like we’re at the Alamo already!

2 hours ago, spudski said:

What we have developed is way of competing in this division, without the money, that will give us a chance to establish ourselves in the division, but not a chance in hell of promotion.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

We compete by giving them a chance, whilst developing them, and with a strategy that will give us a chance of establishing ourselves in the Championship

Agree with everything you've said in the two long posts I've read (so far) about the model the club is employing and the constraints that it places us under, and I agree that making this model sustainable, will be the true measure of becoming "established" in the Championship.

However on a small point of order, when you talk about bringing in and developing players that give us a chance of establishing ourselves at this level, it is worth noting that EIGHT of our League One regulars (excluding Bobby), currently play at other clubs at our level or above.

Okay 2 of those were big and inevitable sales this summer, and I'm not suggesting all 8 are on upward career trajectories, but it rather implies that we've had the resources since day one to establish ourselves at this level, utilising and augmenting them effectively is the real issue.

By that measure we've spent a lot of time and money over 3 years without moving much beyond what we already had. Of course you and I both know the truth is slightly more nuanced, in that we've been constantly adapting the personnel to reflect the football that LJ wants to play.

And that's the frustration for me. I have ZERO problems with the model you describe. It's what I expect - I do not expect the Prem. I'm happy to blood youngsters, even to tread water. But I want to see us use what we have effectively. Keep it simple, get players doing things they can do.

As @ScottishRed said "yesterday was far from enjoyable" and he's so right. It's the football not the result.  We have played promotion favourites like Boro many times over the years and whether or not we got a result, we always "had a go" at teams, with pace, balls into the box. 

Instead it's 70% possession and only 2 or 3 decent chances from anywhere near goal (Pisano/Weimann shots & Watkins header). Everything else is just played in front of the opponents bemused defence, working the ball in nothing positions, then shooting or losing it 25 yards out.

You've told me many times on here over the past few years that we were seeing the painful effect of LJ trying to "break in" his tactics to players who were often not able to execute them. I now don't doubt that. I take my hat off to you for recognising it early. To this day it continues.

But at what point do we say enough is enough with the brute force conviction that his vision for our tactics is right and players are all wrong. His ideas worked when we had a player of Bobby's ilk running down defenders, but that sort of fitness and quality is very rare at this level. 

What we're seeing now is no press and a very slowed down version of the pass and move exchanges out of midfield, so as to be utterly superficial when played entirely in front of the opposition box. As a training exercise I don't doubt there are plus points for LJ but not results.

So on "establishing ourselves": we've had different Championship personnel for four years now, we haven't found a way to use them effectively. Bottom line. The resources were there. And for six months now we've doubled down on and recruited for a Plan A that is ineffective.

Whether you take the view it's a hand he has been dealt, or a situation of his own making, LJ is now "all in". His players. His tactics. His outcomes. I admire his unwavering conviction in his tactics but find the output pretty depressing, and that has nothing to do with sustainability!

Archived