IGNORED

Does LJ need to bring in a defensive/set piece coach in ?

hooered

Starting from pre-season friendlies up to this last game its plain to see that our defending is not up to the current championship standard so is it time for the board to look at bringing in an additional coaching appointment in defence and set piece defending to free up this responsibility from LJ so he can focus on his other areas. I put it out there as to what other posters think.

The coaching's being led by a team which, as I understand, LJ appointed. If the coaching team really isn't up to current championship standards then, rather than tamper with LJ's team, I'd simply free LJ from all responsibility...

...and get in someone who knows how to do the job.

49 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Just to add that we are too nice. 

Boro yesterday threw themselves at the ball when it came near their penalty area , they chased down our attacks like their lives depended on it , compare that to our defending .

Well that’s it, isn’t it? LJ has built a “nice” team of “nice” boys... a team in his own image!

what always surprises me about LJ is that he can’t spot that you have to have a blend of players and characters........ if he casts his mind back far enough he might remember the bloke who played alongside him during the best spell of his playing career.... Marvin Elliott.  

4 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Well that’s it, isn’t it? LJ has built a “nice” team of “nice” boys... a team in his own image!

what always surprises me about LJ is that he can’t spot that you have to have a blend of players and characters........ if he casts his mind back far enough he might remember the bloke who played alongside him during the best spell of his playing career.... Marvin Elliott.  

Oh what we would give for Marvin Elliott now, especially the player from that first season. Always trying to break forward; willing to go where it might hurt, and often did! Not the most brilliant touch, but remember how many goals he got, especially headers.

Pair someone like that with Pack and we really might do something. Brownhill is a sadly inferior imitation by comparison...

51 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

@Olé s post from in the week Mendip

3 hours ago, hooered said:

Starting from pre-season friendlies up to this last game its plain to see that our defending is not up to the current championship standard so is it time for the board to look at bringing in an additional coaching appointment in defence and set piece defending to free up this responsibility from LJ so he can focus on his other areas. I put it out there as to what other posters think.

I don't know if it needs new coaches, but thet certainly need to practice defending set pieces. We were in utter disarray every time Boro took one. Looked like a bunch of kids.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't know if it needs new coaches, but thet certainly need to practice defending set pieces. We were in utter disarray every time Boro took one. Looked like a bunch of kids.

I thought we defended them pretty well (apart from their first stupidly given away goal).  Flint never got a free header, Maenpaa dealt with done by collecting, some by punching.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Just to add that we are too nice. 

Boro yesterday threw themselves at the ball when it came near their penalty area , they chased down our attacks like their lives depended on it , compare that to our defending .

Absolutely, The second goal was a clear foul. Assombalonga climbs all over the defender, two arms on the shoulders to hold him down. Webster stands up arms out to the ref who gives nothing, the other players walk back towards the centre circle. What Id like to see is a few more players making the point to the ref that he's missed the foul, Yes he will still give the goal but if there is that little bit of doubt in the back of his mind then maybe we get something later in the game to make up for it which we wouldn't have. When you watch that goal back its really telling how bloody nice a team we are, why we cant be a bit more savvy about these things I don't know. 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought we defended them pretty well (apart from their first stupidly given away goal).  Flint never got a free header, Maenpaa dealt with done by collecting, some by punching.

It could have been worse, that's all I'll say.

Luckily they didn't come forward that much as the game progressed so the number of set pieces we had to deal with was minimal.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

It could have been worse, that's all I'll say.

Luckily they didn't come forward that much as the game progressed so the number of set pieces we had to deal with was minimal.

Yep, at the end Flint and Fry stopped coming forward....job was done.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yet neither goal was a set piece, just utterly soft as crap defending. 

Boro barely needed second gear we were that dire.

5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We have two career defenders as part of our coaching team ...............

How many more ******* coaches do we need 

Perhaps while Macca and Holden are good all round coaches it takes a far more experienced one to squeeze every sinew out of mediocre defenders bought by a coach who has a very patchy record of signings.... Once again its about choices. If SL only sanctions a budget for a mediocre signing you need vastly more experience a coach to get the club into the top 6.

14 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Perhaps while Macca and Holden are good all round coaches it takes a far more experienced one to squeeze every sinew out of mediocre defenders bought by a coach who has a very patchy record of signings.... Once again its about choices. If SL only sanctions a budget for a mediocre signing you need vastly more experience a coach to get the club into the top 6.

I’d say you need both but agree with you about maximising the players we have

3 hours ago, Beezey said:

Absolutely, The second goal was a clear foul. Assombalonga climbs all over the defender, two arms on the shoulders to hold him down. Webster stands up arms out to the ref who gives nothing, the other players walk back towards the centre circle. What Id like to see is a few more players making the point to the ref that he's missed the foul, Yes he will still give the goal but if there is that little bit of doubt in the back of his mind then maybe we get something later in the game to make up for it which we wouldn't have. When you watch that goal back its really telling how bloody nice a team we are, why we cant be a bit more savvy about these things I don't know. 

Well, I agree entirely. A Warnock team would have been right in Boro’s faces from the off yesterday, battling for everything, they wouldn’t have let them dwell on the ball for a second and they’d have been on at the ref continually to try to gain any advantage whilst their manager would be in the ear of the 4th official to attempt to achieve the same. As Warnock yelled at his team in the vid that I posted on here recently: “You’ve got to die for the three points” - yet he is just continually slagged off on here. His teams are streetwise and savvy and they get promoted, ours reflects its head coach too .... nicey nicey, lets be nice and soft and leave success to the ones who know what they are doing...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, I agree entirely. A Warnock team would have been right in Boro’s faces from the off yesterday, battling for everything, they wouldn’t have let them dwell on the ball for a second and they’d have been on at the ref continually to try to gain any advantage whilst their manager would be in the ear of the 4th official to attempt to achieve the same. As Warnock yelled at his team in the vid that I posted on here recently: “You’ve got to die for the three points” - yet he is just continually slagged off on here. His teams are streetwise and savvy and they get promoted, ours reflects its head coach too .... nicey nicey, lets be nice and soft and leave success to the ones who know what they are doing...

He’s slagged off by loads, not all on here - I’ve wanted him here for years and years. 

It'll never happen SL couldn’t work with him, presumably not nice enough, would want control and would tell it like it is! 

6 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Have to agree with havanatopia both our defence coaches have had enough time to fix what I think is an inapt defensive structure. The first goal was a set piece all bet it a long ball set piece no one took any responsibility to get to the ball first and their second goal six city defenders to two of theirs in the six yard box and we still couldn't close down or apply a hard challenge again this is not inexperience just crap judgement and coaching and yes lack of b**** to stick there foot in.

10 hours ago, hooered said:

Have to agree with havanatopia both our defence coaches have had enough time to fix what I think is an inapt defensive structure. The first goal was a set piece all bet it a long ball set piece no one took any responsibility to get to the ball first and their second goal six city defenders to two of theirs in the six yard box and we still couldn't close down or apply a hard challenge again this is not inexperience just crap judgement and coaching and yes lack of b**** to stick there foot in.

It was like they had all been sent out with the message for Gods sake don’t any of you get injured. No one had emerged as a leader as yet. Korey had a moan to the Ref a couple of times, and everyone just looked at playing their individual games. No one was prepared to dig that bit deeper. There was no spark and we looked pretty flat I thought. I can take losing, but losing without much of a fight is very poor.

We played the ball around nicely enough, as we did against Plymouth a few days earlier with a different team, but ultimately we were allowed to do so as there was no threat the opposition couldn’t deal with when called upon. It’s going to be a long, uncomfortable season if this is how we are playing. 

Back room, I don’t know what’s needed. We are full of coaches and analysts, physios etc. Maybe we are over complicating this area. Get back to basics a bit?

2 hours ago, RedM said:

It was like they had all been sent out with the message for Gods sake don’t any of you get injured. No one had emerged as a leader as yet. Korey had a moan to the Ref a couple of times, and everyone just looked at playing their individual games. No one was prepared to dig that bit deeper. There was no spark and we looked pretty flat I thought. I can take losing, but losing without much of a fight is very poor.

We played the ball around nicely enough, as we did against Plymouth a few days earlier with a different team, but ultimately we were allowed to do so as there was no threat the opposition couldn’t deal with when called upon. It’s going to be a long, uncomfortable season if this is how we are playing. 

Back room, I don’t know what’s needed. We are full of coaches and analysts, physios etc. Maybe we are over complicating this area. Get back to basics a bit?

Hardly the first time we have needed to do that since LJ came here

Archived