IGNORED

Patience is required

Robbored

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Will sustainability continue when the number of bums on seats starts to tail off and next years season ticket sales fall because we have been relegated or just escaped relegation?

How much patience does the board think we have?

I think there is a new breed of Championship fans at AG (numbering several thousand) who aren't too bothered about results, or even performances, as long as we stay in this league.

They meet up with friends once every couple of weeks and have a damn good piss up and this all day revelry is at least as important to them as the football.

I was leaving yesterday and there were loads of groups standing around in the concourse, pint in hand, with great big grins on their faces, ready to continue their session.

That's not how I felt after the game, but these people, as well as long suffering fans who will be back no matter what, will still be renewing as long as we stay up even if no progress is visible on the pitch.

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My guess is that we fans expect to be there or thereabouts every season. Win more games that we lose and in my case playing attractive football and feeling that I’m being entertained.

SLs long term project is to reach the PL but not by buying promotion but by having a squad made up of a blend of local  players and others that City have brought in. He sees LJ as the man to implement it. All this will take time of course but, quite rightly SL is expecting signs of progress this season and that must mean a higher league finish. 

I’d be happy with that as I’m sure most fans would be.

Of course most fans would be happy with that but you talk as if it’s likely. On current showing, it isn’t.

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Ps question for other fans as I am struggling to think.

When was the last time we had a bad start to the season and turned it round under the same manager? I really am struggling to remember. (GJ joined mid season so does not count).

Does this count as a bad start to the season? 

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Surely the best way for sustainability is to maximize the money you would get from getting to the Prem  (parachute etc.)

Trying to get sustainability by just surviving ,or worse  is like maxing out your credit card and making minimum payments   e.g. take virtually forever !

Yes it is, but if you don't make it there's a heavy - perhaps terminal in the sense of the club ceasing to exist - price. Every single one of us wants to see the club successful, lord knows enough of us have seen it in the doldrums - I started following in '74 as a young kid. However, are some of us who are asking for LJ to go and SL should spend big, the same ones laughing at the possible demise of Villa, and previously Bolton, because they've run into financial difficulties by spending money they didn't have?

I think we in the main can afford the transfer fees but we can't afford the wages, so why should the very best come here? They're not Bristol City fans, so they'll go where they'll get paid the most and/or have the best chance of winning things. If we did drop back into L1, then as long as we are financially stable and generating money from selling academy produced players and off the field activities then we become one of the big fish in a smaller pond, that in turn means that the best players in the lower leagues want to come to us, why? Because we'll pay the bigger wages and they have a greater chance of winning things, plus the playing and training facilities and the infrastructure will be in the main way superior to most of the other teams in that league. When we come back up though, then the dynamics change again as we'll be one of the middling/smaller teams in the Championship!

Even if SL went for broke there is no guarantee that you'll make the Prem, look at Villa last season. Say we spent £20M just on a strike force, that would put them on a par near enough with Boro's two strikers wouldn't  it? 

However uncomfortable and depressing it is for everyone, the long term model of investing in the academy, young talent that we can turn a profit on and building up the infrastructure and growing the revenue from off pitch activities is the only realistic way forward. I also think that because this is a long term strategy with clearly defined goals that will not suit most managers/coaches then there is more chance of LJ leaving at his moment of choosing rather than SL deciding he has to go, even if we're relegated.

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My guess is that we fans expect to be there or thereabouts every season. Win more games that we lose and in my case playing attractive football and feeling that I’m being entertained.

SLs long term project is to reach the PL but not by buying promotion but by having a squad made up of a blend of local  players and others that City have brought in. He sees LJ as the man to implement it. All this will take time of course but, quite rightly SL is expecting signs of progress this season and that must mean a higher league finish. 

I’d be happy with that as I’m sure most fans would be.

Is it really the aim of the project?

Because if it is,the plan to achieve it is palpable nonsense and becomes increasing more so each season.

Anyone who understands the game and think that as a plan academy graduates and some bargain buys are going to get us to the PL are utterly deluded.

It does appear that the plan to sell at the top of the market then to reinvest that money has subtly changed this summer - it would appear that now a % of the revenue has to be retained.

This is going to be along hard season and I am fearful of where it will end.

4 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Does this count as a bad start to the season? 

It counts as 4 games with no win in all competitions with an injury crisis that will had not magically resolve come Tuesday.  Get something out of QPR, Swansea and Blackburn and maybe we look okay but four points or less from those games and we are definitely on a poor start...

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Fans patience is irrelevant to those who make the decisions. Do you suppose that MA is bothered  by how thin the fans patience is? 

Not in slightest!

I think you are very wrong. It is a big factor. Patience and revenue have a direct correlation, not mentioning the effect on players and performance.

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I think you are very wrong. It is a big factor. Patience and revenue have a direct correlation, not mentioning the effect on players and performance.

Season before last during the horror run of defeats and flirting with the DZ there was a call on here to boycot the games as a protest.

Lots if posters said they would boycott games but if they did it made zero difference. I’m guess those in charge didn’t notice......

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Jeez.............:disapointed2se:

You just don’t understand my thread do you?

I understand all right.the guy is full of s..t and fans like you want to believe it.we are not the only club working on a project believe it or not,it's just our project has no beginning,middle or end

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Season before last during the horror run of defeats and flirting with the DZ there was a call on here to boycot the games as a protest.

Lots if posters said they would boycott games but if they did it made zero difference. I’m guess those in charge didn’t notice......

Of course they noticed and SL told LJ he was in trouble, its a matter of record. SL said himself in more than one interview and it was discussed at board level and with LJ.

As I said earlier and in another thread LJ has used up most of his lives and we are on a horror run again. Yes unrest again will get noticed and SL will be the first to notice it.

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Of course they noticed and SL told LJ he was in trouble, its a matter of record. SL said himself in more than one interview and it was discussed at board level and with LJ.

As I said earlier and in another thread LJ has used up most of his lives and we are on a horror run again. Yes unrest again will get noticed and SL will be the first to notice it.

'Discussed' does not mean LJ's job was under serious threat, and I don't think for one moment it was.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

. Of course as with any new players it’ll take time for them to settle and become accustomed to not only the area but the style of play. Itll takes several games  for the new guys to gel. Patience from us fans  is what’s required.

I never really buy this.  Most teams these days have a churn of players in the summer, so we are no different from a lot of teams, yet roll this out as an excuse.  What were we doing pre-season if not blending the team?

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Of course SL discussed the situation at the time with LJ and the board - it was pretty obvious that City were in danger of relegation. Any fool could see that. Us fans didn’t need to do anything.

My point was that so called boycott, (whether it took place is another question) had no effect.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

'Discussed' does not mean LJ's job was under serious threat, and I don't think for one moment it was.

I disagree. SL dug in and made a decision to stick with it, but the alternatives were seriously considered by the involved party’s

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Of course SL discussed the situation at the time with LJ and the board - it was pretty obvious that City were in danger of relegation. Any fool could see that. Us fans didn’t need to do anything.

My point was that so called boycott, (whether it took place is another question) had no effect.

Of course it had an effect. As above in my response to NBTB a decision was made despite of it!

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not sure about that Nogbad.....when LJ spoke at Senior Reds he admitted that he was seriously worried about losing his job.

I remember him saying it and adding as an afterthought “I wouldn’t have wanted that”.....

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

I disagree. SL dug in and made a decision to stick with it, but the alternatives were seriously considered by the involved party’s

Fair enough, I don't agree.

I suggest concerns were put forward by other board members and SL said as far as he was concerned LJ was here for the long haul.

End of 'discussion'.

Just now, Robbored said:

Not sure about that Nogbad.....when LJ spoke at Senior Reds he admitted that he was seriously worried about losing his job.

I remember him saying it and adding as an afterthought “I wouldn’t have wanted that”.....

Of course he was troubled, terrible performances and results and we looked like going down.

However he also knew he was staying even if we had gone down imo.

SL said as much publicly, did he not?

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

Of course he was troubled, terrible performances and results and we looked like going down.

However he also knew he was staying even if we had gone down imo.

SL said as much publicly, did he not?

SL said it after the season ( not at the time ) that LJs position was discussed. I don’t recal him saying that LJs job was safe regardless.

Just now, Robbored said:

SL said it after the season ( not at the time ) that LJs position was discussed. I don’t recal him saying that LJs job was safe regardless.

I'm sure I do.

As @REDOXO said above SL had dug his heels in over LJ, including a quite remarkable radio interview when things looked especially bleak, and his total support for LJ could not have been more clear.

Archived