IGNORED

Academy thread

JBFC II

U23 shouldn’t be academy football. 

I’ll accept U21 after that you should be in the senior game. Some need to start lower down the leagues and develop, like Vardy and Ian Wright, others are good enough to start at the top, but I’m not having U23 football. 

Any player, playing regularly at 22 years old in academy football isn’t going to make it.

1 hour ago, Back of the net said:

I’ll accept U21 after that you should be in the senior game. Some need to start lower down the leagues and develop, like Vardy and Ian Wright, others are good enough to start at the top, but I’m not having U23 football. 

Any player, playing regularly at 22 years old in academy football isn’t going to make it.

Wrong. 

1 hour ago, Back of the net said:

Thats why clubs send players out on loan, you'll find very few 22 years olds playing u23 football. And at 22 players haven't always fully developed yet, Bobby probably would have been in and around the u23 side at 22 had it been around. 

I think it's a good system, allows for players to develop in a safe environment if that's what the clubs want them to do

Bobby wouldn’t be playing in the premier league had he been put in a u23 team. He would have left and signed for FGR two years ago.  He learnt from playing at the likes of Plymouth.

Harry Kane. Did he benefit from experiencing senior football at Millwall, Norwich and Leicester or should he have stayed in a protected u23 academy playing against a range of players from 18yrs old ? 

i think U23 is waste of time. If it was the answer why are our better prospects like Vyner & McCoulsky out on loan to senior teams and not playing in our U23 team? 

It’s only happened to allow premier league teams the ability to use them them as another outlet to play the ridiculous amount of young players they are allowed to stockpile. 

37 minutes ago, Back of the net said:

Bobby wouldn’t be playing in the premier league had he been put in a u23 team. He would have left and signed for FGR two years ago.  He learnt from playing at the likes of Plymouth.

Harry Kane. Did he benefit from experiencing senior football at Millwall, Norwich and Leicester or should he have stayed in a protected u23 academy playing against a range of players from 18yrs old ? 

i think U23 is waste of time. If it was the answer why are our better prospects like Vyner & McCoulsky out on loan to senior teams and not playing in our U23 team? 

It’s only happened to allow premier league teams the ability to use them them as another outlet to play the ridiculous amount of young players they are allowed to stockpile. 

Very good post ?

To some extent bloated squads to cater for 18-Man match day squads has led to this, and the new loan system is poorly thought through.

The days of the football combination and pontins central league...proper reserve team football are long gone.

15 minutes ago, Back of the net said:

Yes.

At at least in Spain they just have B teams playing in the senior football pyramid.

I agree I can’t see why we can’t have B teams starting in the Western leagues and furthest they can get would be the conference

6 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

U23 football , even the Premier U23s is I’ve watched is absolutely zilch preparation for competitive first team football

And the academies are well aware of that!

Gary Probert at Senior Reds last week was saying that all academy football is possession based and not particularly competitive, and that’s why these guys go out on loan to gain experience of men’s league football. They will all have the core skills of course.

None of the academies play in leagues and that there’s a dearth of competitive fixtures. Apparently there are moves afoot to address this.

6 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

U23 football , even the Premier U23s is I’ve watched is absolutely zilch preparation for competitive first team football 

Hence why we loan players out. 

Even if it is no preparation, it's still good to finally have an academy that is producing players and teams that are winning matches

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Hence why we loan players out. 

Even if it is no preparation, it's still good to finally have an academy that is producing players and teams that are winning matches

Ahhh I agree

The U23 system is certainly not the Clubs fault and I think loaning young players out is absolutely the right thing to do

Helps them develop , shows how they adapt to competitive first team football and gives us a better idea of their actual potential 

Im not sure I’d get too carried away with any  U23 results as any indicator , that’s all

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s interesting that Brentford as part of their strategy binned their academy

Its the one glaring area where we’ve taken a different route

I can understand why they've done it to be honest. Being in London, they'd have not been able to bring in any players who could be getting in the first team due to the big clubs getting there first. 

At least we have a catchment area where we can look for youngsters, if Southampton don't get them first... 

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I can understand why they've done it to be honest. Being in London, they'd have not been able to bring in any players who could be getting in the first team due to the big clubs getting there first. 

At least we have a catchment area where we can look for youngsters, if Southampton don't get them first... 

Possibly - although by the same tool they would have a massive pool to tap into

There must be hundreds of Mo Eisa s hidden away playing with mates on some London Estates

They are in a good place of course to pick up 18/19/20 yr olds released by London Clubs

As for us our youth scouting and set up has been in the past notoriously poor and Southampton and Norwich amongst several set up in our area better than we did

Im not anywhere near having great knowledge about our full set up now but we’ve clearly come on in miles

If the Academy is going to be a cornerstone of our ethos I do think we need to become a Level 1 Academy As otherwise we will lose some of our starlets before they get to any fruition  

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s interesting that Brentford as part of their strategy binned their academy

Its the one glaring area where we’ve taken a different route

"little fish in a massive pond" - always going to struggle to get decent academy prospects with the local opposition.

We have though been using our advantage of little local competition to recruit a very high calibre of player into our academy set up.

South Wales has proved very fruitful.

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Possibly - although by the same tool they would have a massive pool to tap into

There must be hundreds of Mo Eisa s hidden away playing with mates on some London Estates

They are in a good place of course to pick up 18/19/20 yr olds released by London Clubs

As for us our youth scouting and set up has been in the past notoriously poor and Southampton and Norwich amongst several set up in our area better than we did

Im not anywhere near having great knowledge about our full set up now but we’ve clearly come on in miles

If the Academy is going to be a cornerstone of our ethos I do think we need to become a Level 1 Academy As otherwise we will lose some of our starlets before they get to any fruition  

"If the Academy is going to be a cornerstone of our ethos I do think we need to become a Level 1 Academy As otherwise we will lose some of our starlets before they get to any fruition"  =

Hence the new training complex, plans are afoot.

1 minute ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

"If the Academy is going to be a cornerstone of our ethos I do think we need to become a Level 1 Academy As otherwise we will lose some of our starlets before they get to any fruition"  =

Hence the new training complex, plans are afoot.

It’s an expensive business and none straightforward process , as I understand , to get Level 1 

But if we are putting the facilities in place to do so that can only be a positive step

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s an expensive business and none straightforward process , as I understand , to get Level 1 

But if we are putting the facilities in place to do so that can only be a positive step

Under 13s and 14s are playing at Clevedon today (1.30pm) if you are free to see some of our talented youngsters.

2 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Under 13s and 14s are playing at Clevedon today (1.30pm) if you are free to see some of our talented youngsters.

Thanks

Cant today But is there anywhere where you can find out where / when some of the Academy sides are playing

I will look But is their much on the OS (Never use OS normally) ?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

And the academies are well aware of that!

Gary Probert at Senior Reds last week was saying that all academy football is possession based and not particularly competitive, and that’s why these guys go out on loan to gain experience of men’s league football. They will all have the core skills of course.

None of the academies play in leagues and that there’s a dearth of competitive fixtures. Apparently there are moves afoot to address this.

Only possession-based?

They'd be a perfect fit for the first team right now then.

Archived