IGNORED

Korey Smith out for 5-6 months

JasonM88

3 hours ago, brad blit said:

Might force LJ to play Brownhill in the middle, and actually start playing 2 wingers considering we have Elliasson, COD and Watkins (plus Hakeeb when fit) who can play there, instead of playing people in incorrect positions (ie Watkins upfront) 

Or playing wingers who play in between the touchline and the line of goal to goal. So we don't actually play with wingers and leave all the crosses to two full backs who are so high up the pitch that they cannot be called defenders! Thus allowing opponents to attack us at will from their wingers. 

Shambles. 

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Really?  Thought he did very little (unlike Korey).

As a massive Korey fan I don’t think he’s been at his best back to the last part of last season

He got crocked a few times and played on and played with injuries and also got crunched in the Bournemouth game

I wonder whether some of the challenges I can remember seeing him on the end of (and wincing) As he’s gone down have taken their toll

This is where they find more of a problem when they operate

:fingerscrossed: ten times over

(Which if you are a Sag is actually physically possible btw)

This is really terrible news. Anyone who watched us last season could see that this team looked poor whenever Korey was missing or playing RB.  Same for this season.  A key squad member and hard to replace.  We don't really have anyone else, though one or two midfielders could fill that role, though not like Korey.

I wish him well and hope for a speedy recovery.  For now though, I think we may have to look at the loan market.

16 hours ago, Rich_s said:

I hope he recovers quickly but I think we always look a bit flat when Pack and Smith play together.

I was hoping to make light of the situation and get a joke along the lines of ‘flat Pack’ in here - but it ain’t working, I’ve got nothing...I’ll go back to sipping my tea and being miserable...

17 hours ago, RT's Vaseline Tub said:

And yet we let Steve Allen go who performed miracles last season with so many serious long term injuries.

Underlines how we’re now doing things very much on the cheap.

This phrase ' let go ' is often used and it makes it appear as though that was what the club wanted .

Just may be professionals want a change and it is their decision to leave and there is very little the club can do in those circumstances.

I imagine that you are not party to the financial set up at BCFC and therefore haven't a Scooby what you are talking about.

We've gone from having a squad that never greatly suffered from Injury (Cotts), to one that perpetually does (LJ).

So what's causing it? 

Training? Discipline? The Physio Team? LJ ignored he priors advice? Rushing players back?

In terms of personnel this should be expected to continue. Webster, Smith, Baker, Pisano, Hegeler, Diedhiou, Wright, Taylor, Moore, and Fielding have all had more than one injury under LJ now havent they?

It's a real shame to lose Korey for that long but I think Pack/Brownhill could be a really positive partnership, have Pack take on some more defensive responsibility but it really showed this evening having Brownhill being able break at pace and the set up for Taylor's goal was an example, also not afraid to shoot from around the box.

12 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I’d be looking to bring in Daniel Johnson who is a free agent. Or at least make an attempt to? 

Korey is a massive loss to us.

From what the Preston fella said earlier in the thread, Johnsons contract runs out at the end of this season so not exactly a free agent.

He also mentioned that we have enquired to his availability without having made an official bid. Can see our interest accelerating now although it would have to be a loan with a view to a permanent move.

Whilst the window is still open I can see us making every effort to bring someone in. We know about Korey’s recovery time and have scope to act. Better to have someone in than the window shut and having to go with what we have. It’s going to be a long season and we don’t know what else is ahead yet.

On 20/08/2018 at 16:21, pnefcok said:

Was told last week that, whilst you didn’t officially bid, you’d be in for Daniel Johnson and he/his agent were aware of the money on offer.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if you bid now. He isn’t signing a new deal and isn’t in the matchday squads at the moment.

And just like that he signs a new deal!

Just seen that Jan Kirchoff, one of the few players to make an impact at Sunderland in the last 3 seasons, is now a free agent. From what I recall he was quite a player, assuming we could afford his wage demands. With Korey out for so long, we need cover for Pack, because if he gets injured we really are screwed!

Archived