IGNORED

Lansdown - Wilson departure in 2004

headhunter

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

What shouts to me is that SL made footballing decisions without the man who had just delivered an , albeit losing , play off final.

Ok it's SL's plaything but it appears that the manager was not involved in the discussions and that is terrible management.

Interferring owners are difficult to work with for managers .

Hopefully SL has learned from jos lessons.

:dunno:

I wouldn’t bet on it too much.

One particular aspect of his ownership that has always struck me as particularly poor is the hiring and firing of managers.

It’s why I’m quite surprised in our new (overdue) super duper modern set up we don’t have DoF role.

Somebody else, a football person, should be making the decisions on the such matters - or at least be responsible for making the recommendations to the board.

One glaring oversight in the set up at the moment for me seems to be a lack of football experience in the decision making processes.

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Would love to have Frank Barlow back to sort out the defence. We didn't score many goals under Wilson/Barlow but by ***k we conceded even fewer, especially at Ashton Gate. Best defence in the League at the time - Carey, Butler, Coles, Hill and not forgetting Flapper.

Ironically LJ could absolutely do with a Frank Barlow alongside him

Wise and a good coach

34 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What I loved about the Danny Wilson reign was the plethora of Bristolians in each match day team/squad - we often finished games with 7 or 8 of them on the pitch....

And then straight down the boozer afterwards.

i really enjoyed the Wilson years, the football was great, results were good, we just couldn’t get promoted.

5 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

That’s my main concern too, I’ve got a feeling that LJ is putting all his eggs in one basket in hoping that Fam will make all the difference when he returns. 

I also think Mark Ashton is getting off rather lightly too. The recruitment over the last two transfer windows has been no where near good enough.

Two windows is being generous. Our recruitment has been largely crap since he arrived.

7 minutes ago, boatman said:

i really enjoyed the Wilson years, the football was great, results were good, we just couldn’t get promoted.

Me too, his third season coincided with me passing my driving test, and therefore going regularly to away games. Some smashing memories, especially the 5-4 at Mansfield.

12 hours ago, maxjak said:

Remember it well...............even though I've tried hard to forget it.  Didn't Tinman stay in the dugout for an excessive amount of time, post match?.....almost unwilling to leave, Or am I imagining that?  ?

No you didn't imagine it . He was shell shocked, a broken man.

It was a painful image of a good man. 

13 hours ago, B block said:

Whereas that was the end for tinnion, I don’t think it would be for Johnson, I actually think we could lose 8-0 and he’d still be here, all the talk of him going is irrelevant, he’s being backed to the hilt and like it or not he’s going no where 

I actually see it differently. I think he may go sooner rather than later if things continue because he has been backed to the hilt. 

It is pretty clear SL has confidence in LJ and wants to give him every opportunity to succeed. I don’t necessarily think that means SL will tolerate failure.

Up til now, it has been pretty easy to argue that - despite extended runs of poor form - we have improved overall season after season under LJ.  As soon as it stops being possible to argue that, I think LJ will be out the door.

12 hours ago, maxjak said:

Remember it well...............even though I've tried hard to forget it.  Didn't Tinman stay in the dugout for an excessive amount of time, post match?.....almost unwilling to leave, Or am I imagining that?  ?

No you didn't imagine it . He was shell shocked, a broken man.

It was a painful image of a good man.

8 hours ago, boatman said:

The football was great apart from his last season when he abandoned the pretty football for a more pragmatic approach and it was more effective.

Lessons to be learned ?

Wilson had a team that was more than capable of getting promotion, especially in his 3rd season when, in many games, they played some wonderful attacking football. 

Not getting promoted that season meant Murray leaving and we switched to a slightly more defensive style - we essentially moved from having the best attack to having the best defence.  It's just a shame we never managed to have both at the same time.  

Also, just think what players like Lita and Doherty could have become if the club and staff had the same attitude then to discipline, teamwork and hard work as they do now.

15 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Perhaps Tinnion is being lined up as the cheap option for a second go

I feel sick having read all the above. Not because it's new information but because it is sadly relevant.

SL is the problem, not the solution, in the recruitment and retention of good managers.

Nope.

I remember the defeat isn't an option blurb from Wilson followed by the defeat isn't a failure line.    Wilson had 4 seasons to get us out of that league and failed while the players were literally taking the 'piss' while he stayed at home in Chesterfield. 

Archived