IGNORED

Ricky Marsh RIP

Ska Junkie

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Funny memory of Ricky was getting on the train to Southampton at 8am with 24 cans. He was convinced he could drink them all before arrival.

Great man. RIP.

I’m going to share one too

We we’re off to the Euros in Germany in 88 

Marshy was in the van and en route to Dover for the ferry we somehow picked up , a lad from Newtown in Wales (:dunno:) who was heading out to support England with about £80! Cash , a spare pair of shorts and a Union Jack !!

On approaching Dover Ricky was fidgety and I sensed something was up

I got one of the lads to speak to Marshy to find out what was going on as I smelt danger...:laugh:

Before we went thro checks at Dover I asked my mate if everything was ok 

My mate revealed that Ricky was in possession of a fair amount of ‘speed’ (Not something I ever touched but hey ho) to take with him to last the trip

I went white as we approached the checks and customs but my mates  assured me that It was ok as he’d ‘told Ricky to get rid of it.’

Reliieved I said

‘Hes binned it ?’

’ No ,............, he’s taken it’

What all of it’  :blink:

’Yes’

’****’

:blink:

I looked at Ricky who had a big grin on his face and was well and truly buzzing 

I guess ‘completely off his t**s’ would be the expression, 

We drove straight to Stuttgart with Ricky like an Over excitable annoying teenager asking  when we could stop for a beer , every 10 miles

When we arrived in Stuttgart Ricky was at full revs , ready party , and announced to the lad from mid Wales he was going to show him a good time 

We next saws Ricky and his new (Naive) drinking partner as they stumbled back to the van at 5 in the morning.......... two days later

Ricky was fine and just needed an hour or two to recharge

The lad from Newtown was broken , physically , and mentally .... and now penniless

:laughcont:

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Reading this thread through , including my own posts, some may (understandably) get the wrong impression of Ricky

Please don’t 

I should say he was one hell of a character , consumed an incredible amount of alcohol which would be his undoung as most of his few arrests at football were for being drunk or doing daft things

(like the Miners where he threw a plastic pint glass !)

He did get (And us on many occasions) into many a scrape , nearly always after one or two too many , and lived life on the edge , but wasn’t nasty and was a bloke who also would be the first bloke to help or defend any City fan

or help the old lady across the road 

He was a diehard Red who loved his football and City as much as anyone I’ve met

Id absolutely go with that Bob. Rick and myself are of a similar age and grew up in the same part of Bath and drank in the same drinkers. He saved my neck up at the Blues once when I was cornered. I'm complete;y shocked. I'll raise a glass to him tonight. Anyone know the to cause his death?

I'm getting on a bit but not as old as some on this thread. As I was growing up I knew who Rick was but was on no more than nodding acquaintance as he was one us younger ones looked up to.

At Bolton away in the promotion season, I would have been 22 / 23 and Rick plus a few friends saved me and a few others from an awful hiding, something I've never forgotten and he always spoke afterwards when I saw him, even christened me 'young un' even though we now share the same hair 'style' ;) 

If I had known he was at the Gate on Saturday, I would have definitely sought him out to say hello, sounds daft now. I assumed he was pretty much resident in Thailand now as he was in the process of building a house over there I think. 

Reading a few of these stories / memories have made me smile as I'm sure it has for others and he will be missed by many.

God bless fella! 

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'm getting on a bit but not as old as some on this thread. As I was growing up I knew who Rick was but was on no more than nodding acquaintance as he was one us younger ones looked up to.

At Bolton away in the promotion season, I would have been 22 / 23 and Rick plus a few friends saved me and a few others from an awful hiding, something I've never forgotten and he always spoke afterwards when I saw him, even christened me 'young un' even though we now share the same hair 'style' ;) 

If I had known he was at the Gate on Saturday, I would have definitely sought him out to say hello, sounds daft now. I assumed he was pretty much resident in Thailand now as he was in the process of building a house over there I think. 

Reading a few of these stories / memories have made me smile as I'm sure it has for others and he will be missed by many.

God bless fella! 

Agree

Have appreciated reading others memories and little stories

Good testament to him

Good heart Rick

I think I was with him at Bolton and certainly was at Blues @Sweeneys Penalties If it’s the game I’m thinking about

59 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

God bless fella! 

If memory serves me right, that was probably The Emporium boozer pre match in Bolton. Divvy (RIP) arranged a convoy to Bolton from Michelwood Services at 8am!!!

I was there with Rick, free for all for 10 minutes pre match. Mad day out, when a load went back to Blackpool after the match.

Blackpool was seriously dangerous that night. Loads of football mobs there.

Just now, GasDestroyer said:

If memory serves me right, that was probably The Emporium boozer pre match in Bolton. I was there with Rick, free for all for 10 minutes pre match. Mad day out, when a load of us went back to Blackpool after the match.

Different game then - I wasn’t there on that one

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree

Have appreciated reading others memories and little stories

Good testament to him

Good heart Rick

I think I was with him at Bolton and certainly was at Blues @Sweeneys Penalties If it’s the game I’m thinking about

very probably..I went to Burnden Park once and heard him call my name....where was Marshy? Part way up the Floodlight sat on what I figured was the fusebox. A couple of Police were at the bottom. "come down here" was the request. "You ******* come up and get I" was the reply

1 minute ago, GasDestroyer said:

If memory serves me right, that was probably The Emporium boozer pre match in Bolton. I was there with Rick, free for all for 10 minutes pre match. Mad day out, when a load of us went back to Blackpool after the match.

I guess that's the one GD, I can't remember the name of the place. As you were there, along with BBSB and Rick, thanks for saving my arse all those years ago, we were in deep trouble when you lot arrived, I'l never forget it. 

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I guess that's the one GD, I can't remember the name of the place. As you were there, along with BBSB and Rick, thanks for saving my arse all those years ago, we were in deep trouble when you lot arrived, I'l never forget it. 

Wasn’t me mate by sounds of it

But I’m sure Ricky @GasDestroyer and Co looked after you

How it always was

Great days 

Let those that sneer at them under their noses continue

They missed out on great times

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

1990 IIRC, we had 1,000's up there Bob. I'm sure you didn't miss that one although your hero was injured IIRC.

Just now, GasDestroyer said:

That’s the one. Massive turnout that day, we landed in Bolton early!

Obviously spent too much time with Marshy cause I was there then !!!!

Certainly spent part of the match up a floodlight

A bloke with double barrelled name scored the winner - I remember that 

1 minute ago, GasDestroyer said:

That’s the one. Massive turnout that day, we landed in Bolton early! It saddens me to see some of the characters all passing in recent times - too many.

We certainly had big numbers there. Later that summer I met a few Bolton fans at the World cup in Sardinia and they couldn't believe the numbers we had there. Crazy day. I remember Springer trying to buy something in an old off licence over the road from the ground and by the time the old boy in there served him, the place was virtually emptied by our lot.

His dad owned  the little video rental shop in Weston Village for years and Ricky ‘ran’ it (:facepalm::laughcont:)

We would normally pick him up for games from there and like clockwork as we left Rick would empty the till Of notes handing some youngster a tenner for looking after the shop !

I always chuckled wondering what the weekly takings resembled by the end of the weekend and at what stage his Dad would realise that they should have taken more than £20

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

His dad owned  the little video rental shop in Weston Village for years and Ricky ‘ran’ it (:facepalm::laughcont:)

We would normally pick him up for games from there and like clockwork as we left Rick would empty the till Of notes handing some youngster a tenner for looking after the shop !

I always chuckled wondering what the weekly takings resembled by the end of the weekend and at what stage his Dad would realise that they should have taken more than £20

I used to get the occasional vid from there, but most of my dealings with him (as a Weston Village boy) was in the Old Crown. 

RIP Ricky. Obviously a well-known character down at City. Pretty sure I was on an away day bus or two with him going back a few years, if not, certainly his lad. Always looked like a bloke in good spirits whenever I saw him around the pubs. Pretty sure he gets a mention or two in 'the book' as well? 

Thoughts with his family & friends 

33 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I used to get the occasional vid from there, but most of my dealings with him (as a Weston Village boy) was in the Old Crown. 

Used to go in The Crown with Rick pre match in Weston village at times

It was a lively old boozer run by a landlord called Roger in the 80s if memory serves me right.

Had a broken off pool cue end on the “top shelf” that got stuck in someone’s body after a ruck. Still had the blood stains on it, when he showed me. Crazy days.

3 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Hi All, I just had the message from BBSB. Many on here know me. I am truly gutted to hear about Rick.

He was old skool Bristol City. Has not been to football for a while and was living in Thailand for a while.

I met Ricky through BBSB and others. We went to football for best part of 7/8 years together back in the 80s. England away also. Ricky was a person you would never forget - he had a great way with people. He was a genuine likeable rogue but always made people laugh. Too many stories to tell on here. He was a good guy at heart. You would meet Ricky for the 1st time and within 20 minutes, think you had known him all your life. Such an easy guy to get on with.

Dont want to tell any stories on here as many will read too much into them but just to say I spent a few nights in the nick with him on away days. Many of the old skool will know him on here (including @BobBobSuperBob, the Taunton lot, KW Boogie crew, Shirehapton boys , Timsbury lads @weepywall and many others.

We are probably all out of pocket from knowing him, but who cares. Life is about people and experiences of which Ricky gave me loads of them. Unfortunately I lost touch with him on the last banning order he got (Gas home). Hence Thailand was a preferred option for him in recent years. I had some truly unforgettable days out with Rick that Bristol City allowed me to experience back in the 80s and 90s. 

I am gutted tonight. 

RIP Ricky Marsh - one of our own.

Nice tribute mate

3 hours ago, harrys said:

Know the name but can’t place the face, any pics?

One on City till i die put on by joe jones

6 hours ago, harrys said:

Know the name but can’t place the face, any 

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That had to be ski hat era !

half Celtic / Half City

I had one yet I dislike Celtic 

Remember the three boozers opposite Burnden park the king William was one Bolton lads came in about 2.40 looking for away fans I didn't suss it straight away turned round with a few beers called me bro ere Mart pass these over the pub went quiet :laugh:

Archived