IGNORED

Odowda

simon uk

Anyone else on here starting to get concerned about odowdas impact following his return to fitness? Watched him closely against plymouth and his contribution was negligible when he should have been tearing them apart. Obviously the injury was significant, it seems to me hes lost a yard of pace, or some confidence in his ankle, or something? Anyone have any thoughts?

Personally while I thought he showed some promise last year in his performances, I never quite understood the level of hype around him that developed on here. I'm certainly not saying he's a good player, which I think he is, but some people seemed to be putting a hell of a lot on his return, whereas I thought he was decent but wasn't expecting him to be a revelation - quite a few posts to me acted as if he was about to tear the division apart.

As an aside, I also fear the same is now happening to Diedhiou... people are in desperation looking to a "magic bullet" to solve much deeper problems in the team.

15 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Personally while I thought he showed some promise last year in his performances, I never quite understood the level of hype around him that developed on here. I'm certainly not saying he's a good player, which I think he is, but some people seemed to be putting a hell of a lot on his return, whereas I thought he was decent but wasn't expecting him to be a revelation - quite a few posts to me acted as if he was about to tear the division apart.

As an aside, I also fear the same is now happening to Diedhiou... people are in desperation looking to a "magic bullet" to solve much deeper problems in the team.

Can’t disagree 

He’s looked better playing for Eire than he does for us atm

Decent player there though

8 hours ago, simon uk said:

Anyone else on here starting to get concerned about odowdas impact following his return to fitness? Watched him closely against plymouth and his contribution was negligible when he should have been tearing them apart. Obviously the injury was significant, it seems to me hes lost a yard of pace, or some confidence in his ankle, or something? Anyone have any thoughts?

Totally agree, COD seems really reluctant to try and take anyone on, just keeps checking back and laying the ball off sideways or backwards instead. Also when he has been in space his crossing has been poor.

Just now, Agard Days Night said:

Do we have any impact players?

My fear is that our squad lacks not only leaders but also anybody that can start a game or come off the bench and add any dynamism or scare the opposition. 

Certainly not Taylor. Game is over when we need a goal and he gets thrown on.

8 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I couldn't agree more with everything that you say and add Paterson to that list another over hyped player, who has been mainly shocking since his return from injury over 20 games ago.

Just now, Agard Days Night said:

Lump it to Taylor instead of lumping it to Watkins. 

Arguably, Eliason and/or Eisa would offer something more direct but both are unproven and impossible to second guess what they can actually offer. 

Totally agree. Bizarre that neither were brought on at the weekend.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I couldn't agree more with everything that you say and add Paterson to that list another over hyped player, who has been mainly shocking since his return from injury over 20 games ago.

Been a passenger for too long since he was crocked. Rewarded with a new bumper deal over the summer so needs to step up now and repay the fans.

Callum had a very serious ankle injury. The then chief physio made that abundantly clear on the Club site. 

And reading between the lines, Adelakun has a very similar serious injury. 

The physical repair is one thing but the mental and confidence recovery is another that cannot be accounted for. 

That may now be the problem with Callum and if so, the length of time is not calculable.  He, the club and us, have to wait and see.

The problem is that with our squad and results, we need him back and firing 100% like he was just before the game at Bramall  Lane. 

16 minutes ago, Super said:

Certainly not Taylor. Game is over when we need a goal and he gets thrown on.

I know this is a CoD discussion but as you mention Taylor, I’m really puzzled by him. It was said when we got him that he was never fit, had been carrying an injury which was cleared up in the Summer ( I think he had an op?) and that he needed a pre season with us. Well he has had both and looks a poorer player for it. Yes he is a niggly player which LJ seems to admire, but he always looking to get booked from what I can see. Yes we do need these type of players, but you have to be smarter with it too. He really had a chance to prove himself and grab a place, but against Plymouth he really didn’t look like he wanted to be on the pitch. 

Regarding CoD, I don’t think we are getting the best out of him for some reason. He hasn’t been right since injury, wasn’t he out for months longer than first thought and by then we had slumped. Probably hard to motivate himself in that case but he hasn’t started strongly this season either. 

Just now, RedM said:

I know this is a CoD discussion but as you mention Taylor, I’m really puzzled by him. It was said when we got him that he was never fit, had been carrying an injury which was cleared up in the Summer ( I think he had an op?) and that he needed a pre season with us. Well he has had both and looks a poorer player for it. Yes he is a nightly player which LJ seems to admire, but he always looking to get booked from what I can see. Yes we do need these type of players, but you have to be smarter with it too. He really had a chance to prove himself and grab a place, but against Plymouth he really didn’t look like he wanted to be on the pitch. 

Regarding CoD, I don’t think we are getting the best out of him for some reason. He hasn’t been right since injury, wasn’t he out for months longer than first thought and by then we had slumped. Probably hard to motivate himself in that case but he hasn’t started strongly this season either. 

Not sure our style of play gets the best from him M, or fully utilises his assets

Ive seen him as a player at his best whose a runner (More than just a runner) , (Darren Anderson ish) ,pacy , comfortable on ball, and a runner with and without the ball who would thrive  in a counterattacking fast / mobile side

I think our play is too slow normally to utilise his strengths

Hes can beat players but not a player to give to in a tight more congested area and expect miracles  

16 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Can't really say I've ever been that overly impressed with him. Fine as a squad player, but never going to be someone you turn to when looking to change the game in your favour.

Think he’s one to start rather than as impact sub (Possibly away from home if we are looking to catch teams on break late on)

and I think he’s a decent player

But I think you are right in that he’s not a ‘Game changer’

We don’t really do game changers 

Some players need longer to get over a serious injury. Way too early to write him off. As has been stated it's often the psychological issues and rebuilding confidence that his body won't fail that takes more time than the physical aspect. He has shown a lot of promise before the injury.

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I thought he was seriously growing into his role before he got injured (at Sunderland, I believe?) and was one of our best players up to that point.

I've been disappointed with his contribution since return from injury though. 

It was at Hull. He went in for a challenge almost on the touchline with the ball going nowhere really and came out worse. One of those freak things that 99% of the time players jump up and carry on playing. It was unnecessary from him and he paid the price. 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Totally agree, COD seems really reluctant to try and take anyone on, just keeps checking back and laying the ball off sideways or backwards instead. Also when he has been in space his crossing has been poor.

Maybe instructed to do that - possession, possession possession!

We do like a team currently that has a fear of taking a chance and losing the ball - I think confidence is very low amongst the group.

Largely due to losing the key players and not adequately replacing them.

24 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I thought he was seriously growing into his role before he got injured (at Sunderland, I believe?) and was one of our best players up to that point.

I've been disappointed with his contribution since return from injury though. 

Pretty sure it was Hull away, won 3 2, back from 2 0 down.

3 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

100% agree. Not one player in the squad currently that you think we could chuck on and really impact the game. 

That concerns me as much as the starting 11

We rarely have a bench with anyone who I think

‘If it’s going wrong we can......’

Elliasson capable of beating a man and getting a cross in

Patterson is ironically one of the few in the squad who if on the bench could come on and produce something different (and whether we like it or not one of the few in the squad capable of changing a game individually )

Obvious Goalscorers from the bench ? 

We do have a lot of similar and a squad with a large proportion of

not yet proved much / to develop / not quite sures 

1 hour ago, Super said:

Totally agree. Bizarre that neither were brought on at the weekend.

yes it was, I know we ONLY paid £1.5 million for him but 2-0 down needing something (anything) different upfront, why he was not given any chance to show what he could do was in my opinion a missed opportunity, why did we bother signing him if when we need a goal he was not even tried.

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be honest, I think O'Dowda is a confidence player who is both lacking confidence after injury and playing in a team lacking confidence as a whole. Not sure what the obvious solution is to that in the short-term. 

Whisper it... But good coaching/management?

Archived