IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers v Bristol City Match Day 4

An image from the 70's that ironically probably best sums up the QPR of the 90's and beyond. In the context of the ever effervescent Stanley Bowles' words below.

image.thumb.png.bc34b7336242f49ea8cd081a1463dc0e.png

Stan Bowles once uttered one of football's most famous quotes: “I blew the lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic.” Sadly now struggling with Alzeimer's Disease.

QPR are one of these teams that somehow have a knack for getting themselves of out trouble and they have been in trouble a lot in their more recent volatile times, splashing the cash big time only to either go bust, go into administration, get relegated, get slapped with transfer embargoes and fines. Terry Venables was the man that most fans, alive today, would likely connect with the most for a promotion and a cup final appearance. 

QPR 1-0 Leeds United (April 23, 1983)

QPR sealed promotion back to the top flight thanks to a 1-0 home win over Leeds. Rangers were flying under Terry Venables and clinched promotion with six games remaining. They eventually finished 10 points clear at the top of the old Division Two.

QPR 1-1 Tottenham FA Cup final (May 22, 1982)

In what remains the club's only FA Cup final appearance, Terry Venables' side drew 1-1 with Spurs. With the scores tied 0-0 the game went into extra time. Glen Hoddle put Tottenham 1-0 up before Terry Fenwick equalised for the Hoops. However, in the replay Hoddle scored the only goal of the game - a penalty - to win his side the cup. 

This one sticks in the throat a bit:-

Sheffield Wednesday 1-3 QPR (May 8, 2004)

Then managed by Ian Holloway, QPR secured promotion to Division One (now the Championship) on the last day of the season at Hillsborough. An own goal and strikes from Kevin Gallen and Paul Furlong helped the Hoops edge out Bristol City. Bar stewards. Or should we blame Wilson for what turned out to be his last few games before departing the club and as reminded to us by @headhunter in his thread 'Lansdown - Wilson Departure in 2004'.

And in 2011..

The only way is up: Neil Warnock (centre) celebrates promotion at Vicarage Road with Alejandro Faurlin (left) and Adel Taarabt (right)

The only way is up: Neil Warnock (centre) celebrates promotion at Vicarage Road with Alejandro Faurlin (left) and Adel Taarabt (right).

You simply cannot talk about promotions to the top flight and fail to see Warnock involved somewhere; he crops up with such regularity.

And of course not forgetting the 2014 play off final win over Derby when Gary O'Neill was given a straight red and QPR hung on with 10 men to the delight of Harry Redknapp and an ultimately financially crippling legacy; again.

We owe QPR a bit of a good hiding frankly. Pummelled on Saturday they might just stick 5 across the back and defend in depth just to steady the ship with a draw; that will do little to suppress the clamour to criticise our coaches, head of recruitment and owner though and frankly; the paying public deserve answers.

QPR could be heading down to the third tier again, early days of course, but that win at Hillsborough in May 2004, drawing to an end to their last stay, still lives in my memory. These are the sort of events that, were I coach, I would be playing in the changing room before tonights game. Partly settling a score and easing the pain for us fans is a duty any era of City players are beholden to carry out. Be delighted for Lee Johnson to quote such types of matches post event to 'talk directly' to us fans. It is what creates the bond and with this gaffer that has always been lacking. His father was much better at it. Come on Lee bring us back into the fold of support, stop making excuses and motivate your players. Wallop them again and send Mr. McLaren into retirement.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 9

Is it too early for a must win game? There appears to be a lot of negatively regarding the club at the minute , the sale of two key players and a third who provided us with options from the bench. 

Playing a team who looked like they collapsed second half Saturday, we need a quick start put them under pressure and see how they react. 

Lee, pick your best 11 and let’s go for it. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Will they unveil a surprise loan player today to shore up the defence?

Somehow doubt it. We haven’t been linked with anybody which is a little worry perhaps? 

Unless we are being extremely quiet with our business. From what I’ve seen so far, I think we’re 3/4 short on players..

10 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Will they unveil a surprise loan player today to shore up the defence?

Can't see it frankly.

I doubt anyone will be coming in before the loan window shuts.

I suspect the owner has sent Lee the numbers regarding what he has spent so far and suggested that maybe he should be doing better with what he has given.

All speculation clearly but you really couldn't blame him.

An awful lot of money has been wasted, we focus, understandably, on the permenant signings but what about the loans that would have cost a fee and at least a % of wages.

Woodrow

Kent

Diony

Leko

To name but a few!

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, daored said:

Is it too early for a must win game? There appears to be a lot of negatively regarding the club at the minute , the sale of two key players and a third who provided us with options from the bench. 

Playing a team who looked like they collapsed second half Saturday, we need a quick start put them under pressure and see how they react. 

Lee, pick your best 11 and let’s go for it. 

More to the point Lee, pick the best players to play in their proper positions!  Let's NOT have a RB at LB and Watkins Centre Forward.

Not sure about a 'must win', certainly a 'must not lose' game, or the grumblings around LJ will get an awful lot louder!

12 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

More to the point Lee, pick the best players to play in their proper positions!  Let's NOT have a RB at LB and Watkins Centre Forward.

Not sure about a 'must win', certainly a 'must not lose' game, or the grumblings around LJ will get an awful lot louder!

I wouldn’t normally call a game must win this early in the season. However, we’re in a poor run of form and as others have said 4 wins this calendar year , we need out of this as quickly as possible 

• Like 1

The over the top negativity around our fans at the moment (after THREE league games) is really spoiling my enjoyment of watching BCFC at the moment. A shame as I'm back temporarily from life abroad and I don't get much chance to watch us. We are depleted on the injury front so it will be a case of digging in and grinding out results until things clear up. Will be a battle tonight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Could have been the worst possible score for us, them get seven stuck past them. If they had lost 2-1? They will come out fighting that's for sure, and with our flaky defence at the moment we'd better not concede in the first 20 minutes. I'm hopeful of at least a point, but with all the doom and gloom at the moment, players not on form, massive injury list, fammy's ban, no Duric/Steele, goalkeeper situation, there we go, the doom and gloom is catching :( so it wouldn't be a shock to me if they turn us over, then cue OTIB meltdown. I've not had this gut feeling for years, but I'm fearing the worst this season, hopefully the players will prove me wrong.

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

An image from the 70's that ironically probably best sums up the QPR of the 90's and beyond. In the context of the ever effervescent Stanley Bowles' words below.

Stan Bowles once uttered one of football's most famous quotes: “I blew the lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic.” Sadly now struggling with Alzeimer's Disease.

QPR are one of these teams that somehow have a knack for getting themselves of out trouble and they have been in trouble a lot in their more recent volatile times, splashing the cash big time only to either go bust, go into administration, get relegated, get slapped with transfer embargoes and fines. Terry Venables was the man that most fans, alive today, would likely connect with the most for a promotion and a cup final appearance. 

QPR sealed promotion back to the top flight thanks to a 1-0 home win over Leeds. Rangers were flying under Terry Venables and clinched promotion with six games remaining. They eventually finished 10 points clear at the top of the old Division Two.

In what remains the club's only FA Cup final appearance, Terry Venables' side drew 1-1 with Spurs. With the scores tied 0-0 the game went into extra time. Glen Hoddle put Tottenham 1-0 up before Terry Fenwick equalised for the Hoops. However, in the replay Hoddle scored the only goal of the game - a penalty - to win his side the cup. 

Then managed by Ian Holloway, QPR secured promotion to Division One (now the Championship) on the last day of the season at Hillsborough. An own goal and strikes from Kevin Gallen and Paul Furlong helped the Hoops edge out Bristol City. Bar stewards. Or should we blame Wilson for what turned out to be his last few games before departing the club and as reminded to us by @headhunter in his thread 'Lansdown - Wilson Departure in 2004'.

And in 2011..

The only way is up: Neil Warnock (centre) celebrates promotion at Vicarage Road with Alejandro Faurlin (left) and Adel Taarabt (right)

The only way is up: Neil Warnock (centre) celebrates promotion at Vicarage Road with Alejandro Faurlin (left) and Adel Taarabt (right).

You simply cannot talk about promotions to the top flight and fail to see Warnock involved somewhere; he crops up with such regularity.

And of course not forgetting the 2014 play off final win over Derby when Gary O'Neill was given a straight red and QPR hung on with 10 men to the delight of Harry Redknapp and an ultimately financially crippling legacy; again.

We owe QPR a bit of a good hiding frankly. Pummelled on Saturday they might just stick 5 across the back and defend in depth just to steady the ship with a draw; that will do little to suppress the clamour to criticise our coaches, head of recruitment and owner though and frankly; the paying public deserve answers.

QPR could be heading down to the third tier again, early days of course, but that win at Hillsborough in May 2004, drawing to an end to their last stay, still lives in my memory. These are the sort of events that, were I coach, I would be playing in the changing room before tonights game. Partly settling a score and easing the pain for us fans is a duty any era of City players are beholden to carry out. Be delighted for Lee Johnson to quote such types of matches post event to 'talk directly' to us fans. It is what creates the bond and with this gaffer that has always been lacking. His father was much better at it. Come on Lee bring us back into the fold of support, stop making excuses and motivate your players. Wallop them again and send Mr. McLaren into retirement.

In my childhood memories we always seemed to be playing QPR on the Big Match with the familiar voice of the king of commentary Brian Moore.

Their pitch was usually a mud bath, terrible to play on but good for the complexion.

( Look up Isewater's Oily Skin Loftus Road Lotion) 

They are a smaller London club and you could say that they have overachieved in their history by fair means or foul.

Anyhow as Mr H has kindly given up his time in paradise to nail this matchday thread I will just add

, Do or die City .

Let's get a win under our belts by hook or crook and banish this negativity for good .

This looks like a tense 1-1, or a cagey 0-0, as both teams try to keep it tight and offer little hope of grabbing a winning goal.

Saying that, someone will probably win 6-4 in one of the most open Championship games to be seen.

Here's hoping it's us.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSS

If it rains, does the wally still use a brolly on the side lines?

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

And in 2011..

Condensed Version

QPR:

Hav's had his mountain shag and is now back on form

• Like 2

If anyone’s coming up by train, you might be coming up with the squad. I’ve just seen the Peter Carol coach reversing down the road outside of Paddington Station. Seems strange to pay for rail travel when the coach is coming from Bristol just to take them across London. 

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Found this from Bristolpost's Gregor McBoatface. So far this season. Number 2 is a worry.

✅ The Robins average more possession than any other team in the Championship
✅ Make fewest tackles per game
✅ Make fewest fouls
✅ Most fouled team per game
✅ Most dribbles

I keep banging on about it , we are too damn nice .

We are a cosy , fluffy , pink marsh mallow of a club with Uncle Steve at the helm smoking a pipe.

His grinning favourite nephew  cheekily keeps asking for more pocket money so all the boys can have crisps and lashings of ginger beer . 

They may as well play in their slippers for all the tackling and shooting they do.

Wake up . Get stuck in . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Found this from Bristolpost's Gregor McBoatface. So far this season. Number 2 is a worry.

✅ The Robins average more possession than any other team in the Championship
✅ Make fewest tackles per game
✅ Make fewest fouls
✅ Most fouled team per game
✅ Most dribbles

Presumably if you have the most posession, you're likely to make the fewest tackles?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1