IGNORED

When we get to the Premier League...

Flagon

When we get to the Premier League how many of our current first eleven and even bench will be regular starters? 

We now have a very different side to the League One promotion side and yet there would have been some fans thinking we were going to storm the Championship when we first got promoted with or without many additions.

I'm not one for writing a season off already. Anything can happen. I think we have a really decent side capable of playing some excellent football at times. 

However, the key is "at times". The consistency is not there for a match let alone a season.

Key to our future success is getting rid of these dead runs and establishing a side that can consistently grind out results match to match. It may not mean promotion still but I believe we would become a more attractive proposition to players if they could see we are a side that regularly finsihes top half and that they could be that player to make the difference. 

Currently though I think we will only be seen as work in progress and as such we are in the position of being stuck with getting the right players that also see that vision. This is fine to a degree because we can do it, but unfortunately for us supporters it's likely to take longer. I'm not really seeing a shift in language from the club to suggest we are not still a work in progress and the results show that too.

Flint already said he saw a better chance with Boro than staying with us. It can't really be argued against. 

So as fans I do think we need to be realistic. Some of the criticism from game to game goes way overboard when you look at where we really are. But we do have every right to be vocal and keep that pressure on the club that we want results - consistently.

Now that we have the right infrastructure in place in terms of stadium and we have started turning in some good profit we really need to be looking to reinvest in the squad while it is there. We are one of only a handful of clubs to have not been in the Premier League now in the Championship. It never gets easier, it always gets more expensive though. We do seem to have question marks over recruitment though. You can never expect every player to sign to be perfect but we have had a large amount not go well at all over these last couple of windows. I think we've gone a bit more cautious this window but we cannot lose sight of ambition.

So we now go to QPR who are seemingly an utter shambles but all the clichés are coming out about them being the dangerous wounded animal. In the back of our minds we actually can believe it though. This mindset has to change. If Boro were playing them tonight they would probably be saying the same, but it would just be lip service, I very much doubt they would believe it would be a dangerous game for them.

I really don't think though we are that far off though. Let's keep our realities in check though however tonight's result pans out though. In a couple of seasons time we may very well have another set of eleven to argue over.

The amounts spent at the top end of the championship and Prem rise yearly.....our spending rises modestly.....sadly I fear that there is a correlation between spending and promotion....Wolves last season is a good example.......why does it feel like we are racing a ford focus in a formula 1 race.....?

(Ps....I own a focus Mk1.....no offence to any other focus owners!)

27 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

The amounts spent at the top end of the championship and Prem rise yearly.....our spending rises modestly.....sadly I fear that there is a correlation between spending and promotion....Wolves last season is a good example.......why does it feel like we are racing a ford focus in a formula 1 race.....?

It's a bit more nuanced than that in some ways IMO.

How much did Huddersfield spend? They used Wagner's knowledge and connections in German top 2 divisions to help bolster them.

By the same token, Derby should have gone up sometime in the last 3 seasons. Villa sometime in the last 2.

Wolves on paper spent similar amounts to Villa perhaps, but the wages would have been somewhat lower- young players from Portugal, Monaco, Atletico B aren't on a huge amount...the amount they get at times in this country is nuts at times but an obvious byproduct of the cash flowing about. Obviously Wolves spent money but they spent it very wisely too- unlike some of the above!

I suppose what I'm saying is, there's no one size fits all approach. In our case we have and may well have for the foreseeable, a modest budget. Therefore there are 2 highly important aspects to this (at least 2).

• How you spend it- make every pound and penny count.
  • Ability to improve players.

Said it on other threads, think our recruitment has been alright, passable, hit and miss...but certainly far from outstanding. As for the 2nd bit, far from convinced we have a manager- a structure- which can do this consistently.

The other thing, is Plan is all fine but sometimes we need to be discerning- i..e. in a summer if we get big bids for Kelly, Pack, Brownhill and Diedhiou say- only sell one of them, re-invest some of the cash wisely, put some towards losses and try and get some much needed continuity too- something that was wrecked this summer, as it seems to have been a lot of the time under LJ.

Would also add, Wolves approach to an extent, and Huddersfield too even more so, was thinking outside the box...something I have little faith in the club to do, to be creative. Prove me wrong City!

1 hour ago, MelksRed said:

And in the cases where it doesn't, the answer probably lies in the quality of   coaching/recruitment.

2 hours ago, MelksRed said:

You're being excessively nice.....more  like an Austin A35 without a de-coke

1 hour ago, BCFC Grim said:

We would have had a new owner the previous season...........

Controversial I know...... but  we are getting further away than closer. I don't think anyone could argue that if we were to leave this division it's more likely downwards than upwards.

These are the real facts. Our current board are finding the Championship too expensive regarding fees and wages to compete. My opinion only I agree but the dealings in the transfer market tell the truth. With the statement from Mark Ashton last year about not chasing promotion, when we were top 6, and the dealings this season so far, the aim does not appear to be promotion but more like survival. Even that may be difficult although before Robbored says it, its still early season.

Mars 4-4 Bristol City

21st October , year 21 something...

Manager , Lee Johnson:

"Mars is a bloody difficult place to go on a Tuesday night, always has been

"No, I'd have taken a point before the game, bit disappointed we were 4-0 up, but can't be too disappointed, if you like.

Archived