IGNORED

Turbo Island

Bristol Rob

3 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Am I the only one who goes through Stokes Croft and think what Gentrification? It's still an absolute s**t hole. 

Correct. It is still a shithole. However, rather than Benefits Bev doing her giro on White Ace, we now have kids living alternative lifestyles (no doubt funded by mummy and daddy), claiming that all property is theft and veggies are just bisexual vegans (or summat).

30 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Correct. It is still a shithole. However, rather than Benefits Bev doing her giro on White Ace, we now have kids living alternative lifestyles (no doubt funded by mummy and daddy), claiming that all property is theft and veggies are just bisexual vegans (or summat).

Until they realise that its not hipster and cool but actually quite a dump. Meat Liqour thought it would be a cool edgy place to have a burger restaurant - lasted about 12 months before they gave up with troubles staff got leaving/coming to work at night! 

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Am I the only one who goes through Stokes Croft and think what Gentrification? It's still an absolute s**t hole. 

It is clearly different to what it was. Major squats now closed, clubs closing, alternative thinking being priced out...  

Its down at heel feel is to the cynical deliberate neglect from the Council.

Working in similar fields to services in  Stoke croft it is strikingly obvious there is a completely disproportionate number of services for the homeless, drug users and other vulnerable groups with complex needs. The consequences of this are what you see, and it Is inevitable, nowhere else in the City has anything similar and if the demographics of the area where similar to BS8 there is no way it would be allowed to occur.

Numerous properties are owned by foreign investors. People who have simply left buildings unoccupied and unused. The Emporium has not been occupied in twenty years except by anarchist who gave the building its name and repaired much of it.

By neglecting the area it becomes easier to gentrify.

Stokes Croft is full of people who want to do great things, they will never be allowed to because people in power and with money want Stoke Croft to have an entirely different future.. 

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Until they realise that its not hipster and cool but actually quite a dump. Meat Liqour thought it would be a cool edgy place to have a burger restaurant - lasted about 12 months before they gave up with troubles staff got leaving/coming to work at night! 

Meat Liquor closing was a proper shame, their food was outstanding.

It was in a dreadful location.

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Meat Liquor closing was a proper shame, their food was outstanding.

It was in a dreadful location.

A cheap location you'd presume - they said they were going to relocate but never did. Speaks volumes given the amount of empty premises elsewhere. 

On 21/08/2018 at 16:53, Cowshed said:

It is clearly different to what it was. Major squats now closed, clubs closing, alternative thinking being priced out...  

Its down at heel feel is to the cynical deliberate neglect from the Council.

Working in similar fields to services in  Stoke croft it is strikingly obvious there is a completely disproportionate number of services for the homeless, drug users and other vulnerable groups with complex needs. The consequences of this are what you see, and it Is inevitable, nowhere else in the City has anything similar and if the demographics of the area where similar to BS8 there is no way it would be allowed to occur.

Numerous properties are owned by foreign investors. People who have simply left buildings unoccupied and unused. The Emporium has not been occupied in twenty years except by anarchist who gave the building its name and repaired much of it.

By neglecting the area it becomes easier to gentrify.

Stokes Croft is full of people who want to do great things, they will never be allowed to because people in power and with money want Stoke Croft to have an entirely different future.. 

Spot on. I had lived in Montpelier and St Pauls for 10 years before moving out a few years ago. I still have friends down there so i am frequent visitor. Got to be said, as much as i dont warm to the hipster/trustafarian types, it's improved massively. 

Always will have a few people around with various issues due in the main to the prevously mentioned social services based there. Seeing far less drug use on the streets these days though which has helped a subdued community florish somewhat. It's going to take time but it's definetly on the mend.

On 21/08/2018 at 17:38, ... said:

Fair enough, but what constitutes a s**t hole in Bristol is extremely subjective.

Indeed, I have no problems with SC but its hardly one thing or another - the Guardian would make you think its a utopia.  Much like North Street is still very much Bedminster at heart and some of them London folk seem suprised when their car gets broken into.

I live in Stokes Croft and can only assume a few people on here don’t appreciate what the area brings to Bristol. Maybe it is a shithole when aligned with your principles and values but for me, it’s a relaxed, friendly place to live only spoilt by drunk students and people who think the area is a shit hole and treat it as such. Lots of social activities and events happen regularly and the levels of prostitution and drug related activity has become far less. Homeless people have to go somewhere and if they are ignored and patronised as tends to happen by the council and rely on voluntary help, then the numbers will still increase despite people’s best efforts. 

On 21/08/2018 at 15:04, Tomarse said:

I live on North Street and think exactly the same. The UpFest art work is impressive but it's given the green light for all the hipsters and kiddies to just tag everything. Area now looks like some sort of ghetto IMO but the non-natives keep banging on about how wonderful it is.

On 22/08/2018 at 20:12, Tomarse said:

Indeed, I have no problems with SC but its hardly one thing or another - the Guardian would make you think its a utopia.  Much like North Street is still very much Bedminster at heart and some of them London folk seem suprised when their car gets broken into.

How bad is the parking situation in London that the nearest space is in Bedminster??

On 23/08/2018 at 09:17, Undy English said:

I live on North Street and think exactly the same. The UpFest art work is impressive but it's given the green light for all the hipsters and kiddies to just tag everything. Area now looks like some sort of ghetto IMO but the non-natives keep banging on about how wonderful it is.

Yeah don't forget the two half way houses they like to not mention!

Talking of Turbo Island this sort of thing does piss me off - you move to the area you deal with what its really like:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/residents-fury-late-night-ravers-1918690 

On August 21, 2018 at 18:42, Tomarse said:

This was the reason cited by MeatLiquor for it closing but it wasn't really backed up.

The truth I think is that they had a restaurant environment that was not what people wanted - a divisive seating arrangement and a snobby attitude to the residents. I'm told the restaurant in its place is good - haven't been there yet.

Archived