IGNORED

Why can’t we play well for 90 minutes?

Fordy62

I’m not going to get carried away with a 0-3 win away at arguably the worst side I’ve ever seen at this level, the warning signs are there. 

I just don’t understand how we can be so Jekyl and Hyde. 

That first half performance was the worst football I think I’ve ever seen. So exactly what did Lee Johnson say to them at half time? We didn’t come out a brilliant team second half, but we were a solid 5 compared to the first half’s zero. 

Are they not following orders? Do they forget and need reminding at half time?

Its good to register a win, but I just don’t understand how we could possibly be so dire in the first half. 

I fear that win could be papering over some cracks. 

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not going to get carried away with a 0-3 win away at arguably the worst side I’ve ever seen at this level, the warning signs are there. 

I just don’t understand how we can be so Jekyl and Hyde. 

That first half performance was the worst football I think I’ve ever seen. So exactly what did Lee Johnson say to them at half time? We didn’t come out a brilliant team second half, but we were a solid 5 compared to the first half’s zero. 

Are they not following orders? Do they forget and need reminding at half time?

Its good to register a win, but I just don’t understand how we could possibly be so dire in the first half. 

I fear that win could be papering over some cracks. 

Have we ever had a 90 minute performance under Johnson ?!

Second half we improved, Taylor to start Saturday 

Opposite to much of last season where we'd get ahead by a few then chuck it all away... 

Maybe the idea is we're trying to save ourselves more in first half but overdoing it at the moment? 

Hopefully will even out soon 

I think there needs to be a reality check here. There are many possible reasons why we aren't able to play well for 90 minutes:

-Confidence

-Players needing time to gel on/off the pitch

-Current injuries

-Suspensions

-Players playing out of their positions

-Our tactics and strategy

-Opposition tactics

-Quality of opposition players vs ours

-Ability to read the game 

I think some fans may need to adjust their expectations that we're going to regularly play 90 minutes at a quality tempo. As someone else has said, we're not Man City. We will play well for phases of games and outplay oppositions, but games flow and opposition teams will inevitably get their chances too.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. 

Teams that play well for 90mins win the league. Our players aren't that good thats why they play for us in the championship. If they played well for 90 mins week in week out they wouldn't be at Ashton Gate they'd be playing in the Premier League.

I watched a bit of Man City v Arsenal and there were spells when Man City were not playing that well and Arsenal were on top.

32 minutes ago, Red34 said:

Opposite to much of last season where we'd get ahead by a few then chuck it all away... 

Maybe the idea is we're trying to save ourselves more in first half but overdoing it at the moment? 

Hopefully will even out soon 

Funny you should say that and the chalk and cheese nature of the halves.

I remember in 16/17, as I'm sure we all do- that from August to maybe the start of December we didn't score a first half goal at home...but on the flipside didn't concede one second half goal in that time at home!

@Loco Rojo

Agree with a lot of that. Many variables that have an effect games that you listed- a bit more consistency and stability wouldn't go amiss!

Something I'll think about another day though, a 3-0 away win in this league is good at any time, especially at a ground where we've struggled historically.

I think it simple in tonight’s case. We were dreadful in the first half but as soon as we got our noses in front belief surged through the players and we were a different team.

Confidence is so important in sport - hopefully we will take this into Saturday and come away with another decent result. 

Archived