IGNORED

Andreas Weimann Utter Class

REDOXO

17 minutes ago, Ian M said:

In the last three years I’ve been lucky that City have unearthed less well known goal scoring options and have got a season ticket and a drink out of the each way market each year. Here’s to a 4th year running.

If Diedhiou slips to 60s before his first game I may have a dabble on him too in case given the way Eliasson crosses the ball.

Ian, that is quality, the bookies are funding your season tickets, bloody love it!

10 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

At the risk of egg on face...

- Is his work rate better than Reid? - Yes

- Is his movement better than Reid? - Yes

- Is his finishing at least on a par? - Yes

- Is his hair nicer? - Probably not.

On balance, 3/4 isn’t bad. With £8m banked, I think this may have been a fantastic deal.

Disagree SD.

Reid's work rate was phenomenal - even when played out of position by LJ.

Other than that, fair enough. Weimann's timing to get to the final ball is superb and is his major strength as a striker.

And I agree with your conclusion 

It's early days yet, but if we've found yet another striker who is going to be up among the divisional top strikers, then I'm more than happy to give the club credit.

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Disagree SD.

Reid's work rate was phenomenal - even when played out of position by LJ.

Other than that, fair enough. Weimann's timing to get to the final ball is superb and is his major strength as a striker.

And I agree with your conclusion 

It's early days yet, but if we've found yet another striker who is going to be up among the divisional top strikers, then I'm more than happy to give the club credit.

i think him and reid have a similar workrate but Weinmans positioning and presence is better, the head back across goal last night was a real strikers finish something that for all the good reid brought to the team if it were him in the same position he wouldn't of scored it

10 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

At the risk of egg on face...

- Is his work rate better than Reid? - Yes

- Is his movement better than Reid? - Yes

- Is his finishing at least on a par? - Yes

- Is his hair nicer? - Probably not.

On balance, 3/4 isn’t bad. With £8m banked, I think this may have been a fantastic deal.

I agree with the overall sentiment and he represents ridiculous value versus what we made for Reid, but I think "better" in each of these cases is unfair on Reid. Reid's work rate was every bit as good and included a relentless press that we haven't asked of Weimann. I also think Reid's movement is on a par, particularly  where he made quick reverse runs for 1-2's - something Weimann hasn't had the support to do.

Weimann is often on his own, but is definitely every bit as good at timing channel runs in behind defenders, and while not an out-and-out target man (he receives the ball on the run rather than aerially, back to goal), once it's at his feet, I've noticed his shielding runs are as good as anyone we've had for a while, what Reid did with pace and quick feet to retain possession, Weimann achieves with strength and hustle.

I love his stamina, he clearly grows into games - when others are tiring, he's running even harder. It must be a nightmare to defend for 90 minutes. The revelation for me so far is finishing. I'm used to us signing strikers who strike a couple cleanly and blast a few miles over. His efficiency is remarkable, I can't think of any wild misses yet, he is reliable, largely because he gets in positions to make it easy to be clinical. 

He's been phenomenal so far, but I'm still keeping my feet on the ground, considering we're yet to see how he links up with Fammy, or are yet to see how this season pans out for him.

From a stats perspective, he's always been poor, but he's always been able to find himself at clubs around our level. That shows there's something to his game, and he obviously had something else to show which led the club to pick him up.

Let's hope he keeps this form up. I know he's just joined us, but at 27 he's probably got one big move left in him. If he scores more than twenty this season I can see someone stepping in for him, and the cycle can continue to push us up the table.

2 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

He's been phenomenal so far, but I'm still keeping my feet on the ground, considering we're yet to see how he links up with Fammy, or are yet to see how this season pans out for him.

From a stats perspective, he's always been poor, but he's always been able to find himself at clubs around our level. That shows there's something to his game, and he obviously had something else to show which led the club to pick him up.

Let's hope he keeps this form up. I know he's just joined us, but at 27 he's probably got one big move left in him. If he scores more than twenty this season I can see someone stepping in for him, and the cycle can continue to push us up the table.

this is one of his first seasons playing through the middle, he's always been stuck out on the wing at derby and villa, but when played upfront at villa he was a stand out performer with benteke 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

this is one of his first seasons playing through the middle, he's always been stuck out on the wing at derby and villa, but when played upfront at villa he was a stand out performer with benteke 

That's my point. Wikipedia stats aren't reflective of simple things, like giving a player an opportunity in a position they'd feel better suited for, or getting a player to try something a bit different.

11 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Even on paper you knew he was going to be a class above anyone else we had here, was a big coup for us. Really hit the ground running. 

Well said. The only signing I can really say I was exited about over the summer. Great pedigree and has proved this with 3 goals so far. Very promising start.

3 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Well said. The only signing I can really say I was exited about over the summer. Great pedigree and has proved this with 3 goals so far. Very promising start.

he's scored 4, he's joint top scorer in the championship :)

No doubt AW looks a good buy, he’s certainly off to a great start but.....we’re only four games in and can’t predict now long he can continue in his current form. 46 games is a long season...

In the same way some poster slag off other new signings when they’ve only played four games the opposite  applies in AWs case.

Always felt he was a coup for us. People get too caught up in the stats without considering the context. He’s always played at a higher level and/or in better squads than ours.

People should consider that he’s here as one of our better players, not just as a squad player like at Derby or Villa. He’s also younger than you’d think too - a very good piece of business by the looks of things.

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

i think him and reid have a similar workrate but Weinmans positioning and presence is better, the head back across goal last night was a real strikers finish something that for all the good reid brought to the team if it were him in the same position he wouldn't of scored it

Totally. He's your classic poacher.  Arrives in the right place at the right time.

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Totally. He's your classic poacher.  Arrives in the right place at the right time.

I think you are right, however his movement is superb, it easy to play a killer pass to a bloke who has already showed you where to put it. 

Pack will benefit enormously 

6 hours ago, Undy English said:

Him and Adelakun for me. I thought Weimann would do well and be a solid performer, but I didn't see him as an exciting signing who would be this effective. Really looking forward to seeing Hakeeb, he'll be like an exciting new signing when he's eventually fit.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Always felt he was a coup for us. People get too caught up in the stats without considering the context. He’s always played at a higher level and/or in better squads than ours.

People should consider that he’s here as one of our better players, not just as a squad player like at Derby or Villa. He’s also younger than you’d think too - a very good piece of business by the looks of things.

I reckon he's 25. :whistle2:;)

11 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

When the thread on Weimann first appeared in the transfer forum I deliberately avoided it for a while, in my mind it was a "never going tp happen" type rumour.

Archived