IGNORED

Ratings v QPR

Davefevs

Well, that was a tough watch, for both sets of fans.

I thought we played with fear for a lot of the first half, preferring to ping it forward, but rarely turning QPR’s “Belgrano” like CB pairing round, or getting down the sides.  We seemed to aim for their heads (and Bidwell’s too), and accurately find them.  Weimann looked a bit off the pace the times he did get down the channel.  It took a counter, a good run from MT, a slip by Bidwell to give us the advantage.  With a tiny fraction of confidence we almost got a second, as we ended the half on top having probably let QPR be on top most of the half.  Second half much better, but you could see the lead was fragile, and even at 2-0, you could sense the players feared QPR getting one and then have to withstand an onslaught.  Eze’s miss was the turning point and we saw the game out comfortably from there, getting a third through Brownhill’s advanced running and determination.

A fair bit of criticism over the selection tonight, mainly MT’s.  Just shows, that you should wait and see how the game plays out....keep you powder / criticism dry! ?

Ratings: no half marks is my rule, and based on tonight’s game, not what’s gone or not gone previously...I might reference previous games though.  

Mäenpää 8 - thought his performance was instrumental in giving confidence to the back four.  I think he looked assured, takes the ball outside his 6 yard box, and is quite imposing.  Kicks well enough, although needs to work on that fade off the tee!!  Very important save from Washington, and safe handling.  One rush of blood, but in a perverse way it reminded everyone the game was still in the balance at 2-0, and it kinda forced everyone to give it another 10%.  I’ve seen him twice now, and think he’s a slight upgrade on FF...for free!!

Hunt 5 - think Saturday may have got to him most.  He looked really nervous in first half, when the camera could pick him up!  He did what he needed to defensively but he did little with the ball going forward...opposite of Saturday.  The aggressive, physical combo with Watkins I expected ‘ hopes didn’t materialise tonight.

Kelly 7 - just shaded a 7.  Not imposing enough (like most) first half, a little sloppy (you can argue casual) but started to shine second half.  Used the ball simply, but efficiently, defended gracefully.  I didn’t see him playing 35+ this season pre-season....think I'll revise that and say he will.

Pisano 7 - give the guy some credit for returning from a career threatening injury.  He gave a performance that you need tonight stepping in at CB.  Physical, headed everything, clever organisation when needed, never got done in behind, for a player often quoted as being a donkey!

Webster 8 - thought he was excellent tonight, he obviously read my comments from Saturday, as he headed everything tonight.  Brace headers at time tonight.  Passing Good when kept a bit shorter, thought he went a bit long, too early in opening 30 minutes as we surrendered possession too easily.  Kept a a good line and shape.  We rarely got too deep, and caught them offside a bit, showing confidence to stick to a line together.  Well done lad!

Watkins 5 - never really got going tonight.  Worked hard, expected him to win more angled balls against Bidwell. Possibly suffered from Hunt playing nervously behind him....and vice versa.

Pack 6 - very steady....kept us in shape and with JB alongside him, knew he just needed to keep the ball moving, and allow JB to link-up.  Lots of aerial balls to deal with, and won his share, but importantly, with Webster winning his headers, he didn’t have to resort to sitting on his CBs toes.

Brownhill 7 - steady first half, one long range shot, and the all important pass to Taylor for the first.  Got better as the game went on, and snapped around, becoming the influence in the centre of the park.  Great willingness to join up and determination got him the assist for Weimann’s second.  Obviously Korey’s injury is not good news, but we didn’t miss him tonight.  Helps Pack, perhaps a combo we missed on Saturday.

Eliasson 7 - shaded a 7.  His side foot volley was inches wide, very unlucky.  Threatening set pieces, and a couple of lovely touches, but needs to get involved more.  Lovely cross for Weimann.  You don’t need a 6’7” target man to score from those crosses, take your pick, head it or volley it Andreas!

Taylor 6/7 - I can’t decide.  Still looks off the pace, but you can’t criticise his endeavour and he got the all important goal...boy it was important, plus the hockey-assist for Weimann’s first.  Worked hard, but sloppy too with a couple of break aways.

Weimann 7 - bit below par first half, but worked hard for not much ball.  Look at his movement for his first goal.  Was virtually alongside a Taylor and finds himself beyond Bidwell at the back stick.  4 in 4.  Shows great leadership and direction.  Good player.

Subs; O’Dowda / Eisa - not on long enough.

Johnson - swapping Kelly and Pisano - worked.  Started Taylor - worked.

Nice to win away, and nice to get a 3-0 despite it possibly flattering us.

Gonna give Mäenpää my MOTM, just gets it over Webster, who was much improved tonight.

As I said on another thread it was always going to be a tricky game and we certainly rode our luck and the luck we had to ride was all self inflicted and that needs to improve.

Not pretty but effective and we struggled early in the game to adapt to our more route one approach.

1st win, 3 great goals, 3 points.

Maenpaa 7 Would have been an 8 but for the rush of blood in the 2nd half, kept us in it in the first half and looks assured.

Hunt 5 He actually played quite well, but I have marked him low because I have a concern at how often when a cross comes into our box he is totally unaware of where his man is.

Webster 7 Looked nervous in the first half but had a great 2nd half and his goal line clearance was just what was needed at 2-0.

Pisano 7 There are times when you can see the old pro in him coming out, he did ok all things considered.

Kelly 8 You can see his confidence growing with each game, he is some talent.

Watkins 4 Sorry I don’t get him at all.

Brownhill 6 His best work was defensively, where he saved his defenders several times in the first half, has got such a good engine.

Pack 7 On his first half performance he was heading for a 4 or 5, but I have to say he looked every inch the captain in the 2nd half, steadied the ship got in tackles when his defenders were backing off. I loved the bollicking he gave his defenders when they were backing off in the 2nd half and he was forced to concede a foul on the edge of our box. I hope he remains as captain because I think it suits him.

Eliasson 6 Doesn’t get enough of the ball, which is not his fault but has improved defensively and the best cross of the season for the 2nd goal and got probably too good a connection for his volley in the first half.

Taylor 8 A great goal, which is what he is about and kept their defence on their toes all night. If he is to play more, then we need to play to his strengths like we tried to tonight, I hope him going off was merely a precaution.

Wiemann 8 had a poor first half but took over the running from a tiring Taylor and got his reward with 2 great goals.

I won’t mark the subs none of them really got into the game to be honest.

LJ 8 it was brave of him to change his tactics for a more route one approach and until the first goal it looked as though it was not working, brave of him to play Taylor and he got his reward for both decisions.

The team looks more rounded without Paterson IMO, 10 outfield players instead of 9 fighting for the ball.

All in all a good night but I would like to see a central defender and quickly.

For me, note to say that no one had above a 6 in the first half for me.

Niki - 7 - Disagree with the kicking a bit, chose to go long so often when he had options short and we often lost possession. 

Hunt - 6 

Pisano - 6 (Gave reasons in RedDave's thread)

Webster - 7 

Kelly - 7 - Cross in the first half kinda summed up his game, great ball across the box, but hadn't checked to see if anyone was there to get onto it.

Watkins - 4

Pack - 6 (closer to 7 than 5 though)

Brownhill - 7

Eliasson - 6 - Same as Pack, crossing was good but should have finished his early chance

Taylor - 6 - Not enough to his game other than the goal and cross, 2 very good moments but missing for most of the game.

Weimann - 8 - Incredible piece of business to get him, especially at £2m. Also doing a good job in replacing Reid's work rate upfront (feel the work rate may be why Taylor still gets the nod over 4411, the effort of the two combined is the same as Reid).

24 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Can someone merge the ratings threads! @davefevs we agree on many but saw a fair few players performances differently!  

You were there, I watched on tv....bound to see things a bit different.  For starters the sky camera man can’t view the near touchline...and you lot in the top tier can’t see the goal line ?

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You were there, I watched on tv....bound to see things a bit different.  For starters the sky camera man can’t view the near touchline...and you lot in the top tier can’t see the goal line ?

Haha.  Yes it is an awful ground and I hate it! 

It sounds like the red button Sky Sports is nearly as good as BCTV and costs a tenner less.  What did you watch on ?

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Haha.  Yes it is an awful ground and I hate it! 

It sounds like the red button Sky Sports is nearly as good as BCTV and costs a tenner less.  What did you watch on ?

Sky....not full hd....so couldn’t tell all the qpr players apart, so didn’t do their ratings.  But free (with my sub)

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well, that was a tough watch, for both sets of fans.

I thought we played with fear for a lot of the first half, preferring to ping it forward, but rarely turning QPR’s “Belgrano” like CB pairing round, or getting down the sides.  We seemed to aim for their heads (and Bidwell’s too), and accurately find them.  Weimann looked a bit off the pace the times he did get down the channel.  It took a counter, a good run from MT, a slip by Bidwell to give us the advantage.  With a tiny fraction of confidence we almost got a second, as we ended the half on top having probably let QPR be on top most of the half.  Second half much better, but you could see the lead was fragile, and even at 2-0, you could sense the players feared QPR getting one and then have to withstand an onslaught.  Eze’s miss was the turning point and we saw the game out comfortably from there, getting a third through Brownhill’s advanced running and determination.

A fair bit of criticism over the selection tonight, mainly MT’s.  Just shows, that you should wait and see how the game plays out....keep you powder / criticism dry! ?

Ratings: no half marks is my rule, and based on tonight’s game, not what’s gone or not gone previously...I might reference previous games though.  

Mäenpää 8 - thought his performance was instrumental in giving confidence to the back four.  I think he looked assured, takes the ball outside his 6 yard box, and is quite imposing.  Kicks well enough, although needs to work on that fade off the tee!!  Very important save from Washington, and safe handling.  One rush of blood, but in a perverse way it reminded everyone the game was still in the balance at 2-0, and it kinda forced everyone to give it another 10%.  I’ve seen him twice now, and think he’s a slight upgrade on FF...for free!!

Hunt 5 - think Saturday may have got to him most.  He looked really nervous in first half, when the camera could pick him up!  He did what he needed to defensively but he did little with the ball going forward...opposite of Saturday.  The aggressive, physical combo with Watkins I expected ‘ hopes didn’t materialise tonight.

Kelly 7 - just shaded a 7.  Not imposing enough (like most) first half, a little sloppy (you can argue casual) but started to shine second half.  Used the ball simply, but efficiently, defended gracefully.  I didn’t see him playing 35+ this season pre-season....think I'll revise that and say he will.

Pisano 7 - give the guy some credit for returning from a career threatening injury.  He gave a performance that you need tonight stepping in at CB.  Physical, headed everything, clever organisation when needed, never got done in behind, for a player often quoted as being a donkey!

Webster 8 - thought he was excellent tonight, he obviously read my comments from Saturday, as he headed everything tonight.  Brace headers at time tonight.  Passing Good when kept a bit shorter, thought he went a bit long, too early in opening 30 minutes as we surrendered possession too easily.  Kept a a good line and shape.  We rarely got too deep, and caught them offside a bit, showing confidence to stick to a line together.  Well done lad!

Watkins 5 - never really got going tonight.  Worked hard, expected him to win more angled balls against Bidwell. Possibly suffered from Hunt playing nervously behind him....and vice versa.

Pack 6 - very steady....kept us in shape and with JB alongside him, knew he just needed to keep the ball moving, and allow JB to link-up.  Lots of aerial balls to deal with, and won his share, but importantly, with Webster winning his headers, he didn’t have to resort to sitting on his CBs toes.

Brownhill 7 - steady first half, one long range shot, and the all important pass to Taylor for the first.  Got better as the game went on, and snapped around, becoming the influence in the centre of the park.  Great willingness to join up and determination got him the assist for Weimann’s second.  Obviously Korey’s injury is not good news, but we didn’t miss him tonight.  Helps Pack, perhaps a combo we missed on Saturday.

Eliasson 7 - shaded a 7.  His side foot volley was inches wide, very unlucky.  Threatening set pieces, and a couple of lovely touches, but needs to get involved more.  Lovely cross for Weimann.  You don’t need a 6’7” target man to score from those crosses, take your pick, head it or volley it Andreas!

Taylor 6/7 - I can’t decide.  Still looks off the pace, but you can’t criticise his endeavour and he got the all important goal...boy it was important, plus the hockey-assist for Weimann’s first.  Worked hard, but sloppy too with a couple of break aways.

Weimann 7 - bit below par first half, but worked hard for not much ball.  Look at his movement for his first goal.  Was virtually alongside a Taylor and finds himself beyond Bidwell at the back stick.  4 in 4.  Shows great leadership and direction.  Good player.

Subs; O’Dowda / Eisa - not on long enough.

Johnson - swapping Kelly and Pisano - worked.  Started Taylor - worked.

Nice to win away, and nice to get a 3-0 despite it possibly flattering us.

Gonna give Mäenpää my MOTM, just gets it over Webster, who was much improved tonight.

Very generous. Brownhill was awful, Webster and Pisanon competed and cleared their lines but their distribution was atrocious, Maenpaa was was a 6 at best with distribution of the Frankie type,  Eliason apart from the cross was absent, Kelly defended superbly but did not get forward to release the pressure and always took the easy sideways backwards pass, Taylor and Weiman were good especially with the service they got. Pack class.

Just now, hoxton casual said:

Very generous. Brownhill was awful, Webster and Pisanon competed and cleared their lines but their distribution was atrocious, Maenpaa was was a 6 at best with distribution of the Frankie type,  Eliason apart from the cross was absent, Kelly defended superbly but did not get forward to release the pressure and always took the easy sideways backwards pass, Taylor and Weiman were good especially with the service they got. Pack class.

QPR were even worse. Terrible game, great result.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Harsh on Weimann for me Dave. Easily an 8. Otherwise hard to disagree with any of it.

I under rate goals, so as not to overstate a goal versus their overall contribution.  I know it’s the most important thing, but otherwise your strikers always get MOTM when they score, and I think others has different if not more important contributions.  Only my view, and how I rate.  Obviously @hoxton casual sees thing differently too!  Each to their own, all about opinions. 

11 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Brownhill awful ?  ??? 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I under rate goals, so as not to overstate a goal versus their overall contribution.  I know it’s the most important thing, but otherwise your strikers always get MOTM when they score, and I think others has different if not more important contributions.  Only my view, and how I rate.  Obviously @hoxton casual sees thing differently too!  Each to their own, all about opinions. 

I think the manner in which his goal was taken has to count for something. The movement to create the space in the first place is breathtaking. I'm falling in love.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I think the manner in which his goal was taken has to count for something. The movement to create the space in the first place is breathtaking. I'm falling in love.

I did give him a 7....though NM and AW deserved 8s...I rarely give a 9 (nor 10).

Dave. Re Pisano. Agree that he did well considering but you say he didn’t get done in behind. 

The chance that Eze should have buried started with Pisano static and faced up the wrong way, allowing the striker to run in behind, resulting in Maenpaa rushing out. We were lucky not to concede there and it was Eros who was stationary allowing a runner in behind. 

Also, the other big chance they had in the first half was a result of Pisano totally missing a clearance and kicking thin air. 

Overall he had a decent game considering everything, but he was at fault for the 2 biggest chances they had, so it could have been very very different. 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Dave. Re Pisano. Agree that he did well considering but you say he didn’t get done in behind. 

The chance that Eze should have buried started with Pisano static and faced up the wrong way, allowing the striker to run in behind, resulting in Maenpaa rushing out. We were lucky not to concede there and it was Eros who was stationary allowing a runner in behind. 

Also, the other big chance they had in the first half was a result of Pisano totally missing a clearance and kicking thin air. 

Overall he had a decent game considering everything, but he was at fault for the 2 biggest chances they had, so it could have been very very different. 

Fair enough, but who were the two players who lost out to a bouncing ball just inside our half at the start of the move that exposed us?  The picture quality and my eyesight weren’t great on the red button.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fair enough, but who were the two players who lost out to a bouncing ball just inside our half at the start of the move that exposed us?  The picture quality and my eyesight weren’t great on the red button.

It was Hunt & Pack I think. 

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

It was Hunt & Pack I think. 

Correction. Watkins. 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Will re-watch on hd with my specs on ?

It was Pack who won the header from the throw, but Watkins had also jumped and it rebounded back off of him. 

8 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

What game did you watch, brownhill was awful? he had 2 assists crerated other chances rarely gave the ball away and tackled well in the middle

20 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

Kelly played well, but he has stopped bursting down the wing and turning defence into attack. He did this so well when he first started with us

he didn't need to, he gave the ball to elliason who did it for him,

13 hours ago, Super said:

Niki - 6

Hunt - 5

Pisano - 6

Webster - 6

Kelly - 7

Watkins - 5

Pack - 6

Brownhill - 6

Eliasson - 6

Taylor - 6

Weimann - 8

Pretty bang on for me @Super Maybe Lloyd an 8?

I definitely can’t agree with @Davefevs assessment of Maenpaa at 8. A goalie who scores an 8 plays fantastically well. He didn’t. Granted he saved everything he should save and caught everything he should catch. There were certainly no worldy saves, only ones he’d have been disappointed with if he hadn’t stopped them. 

Then there was his rush of blood and his 30 yard clearance straight to their attacker.  Both of which should have led to goals had QPR not been so absolutely tripe and Both of which would not be being ignored quite so much if a certain injured goalie had done them. 

A definite 6. 

Archived