IGNORED

Papering over the cracks

hoxton casual

Worst 3 nil victory I have ever seen. A few moments of quality from Weimann and Taylor but otherwise truly shocking. Last Sat we passed the ball, but did not threaten, tonight everyone (apart from Pack) just hoofed it. You would have thought that 2-0 up, we should have started to play football but no -Uuter panic. At least people were played in their best positions tonight, even if the some of the wrong people were on the pitch. 

You must be so 'prowed' of this post.

Given the injury problems, the fact that we had to sell our best players, our dismal record against QPR, I'd have been delighted if we'd won 0-1 with the ball going in off Pisano's backside by mistake.

1 win 1 loss 2 draws- pretty much an average return for what is currently an average team and I'm delighted.

12 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Worst 3 nil victory I have ever seen. A few moments of quality from Weimann and Taylor but otherwise truly shocking. Last Sat we passed the ball, but did not threaten, tonight everyone (apart from Pack) just hoofed it. You would have thought that 2-0 up, we should have started to play football but no -Uuter panic. At least people were played in their best positions tonight, even if the some of the wrong people were on the pitch. 

Why do you bother? 

Just now, Distortia said:

We win 3-0, the first away win in 9 months and you post this? The "worst 3-0 win you've ever seen"?

Yes, I am afraid that is how I saw it. Even LJ admitted they needed to be warriors tonight; and they were. everyone bust a gut, closed and harried but you had to be there to see the quality of the football. No-one wanted to pass the ball. Sorry you dont like honesty. I took my 7 year old girl, sang my heart out and clapped everyone off the pitch - as I always do. That does not take away from my honest analysis of the game.

I was critical on Saturday about our lack of style or game plan. Tonight I could see a very clear game plan. 

It was clear that their defence was a shambles, particularly their CB’s, so the game plan I witnessed, first half particularly, was hit long diagonals and try to get our energetic runners in behind their full backs. 

We hit a lot of long balls and diagonals first half, and whilst it was ugly it actually worked come the end. The first 2 goals were both from moves where we hit the channels and managed to get the ball behind their full backs and expose their 2 CB’s. The only 2 times we actually did that and we scored. We tried to get it over the top of the full backs all first half without success but in the end it worked, and that’s all it took. 

So whilst critical of a lack of plan so far this season, I will say fair play to LJ today for abandoning his principles and attempting to expose the oppositions weakness. 

It was ugly but it worked. 

1 minute ago, hoxton casual said:

Yes, I am afraid that is how I saw it. Even LJ admitted they needed to be warriors tonight; and they were. everyone bust a gut, closed and harried but you had to be there to see the quality of the football. No-one wanted to pass the ball. Sorry you dont like honesty. I took my 7 year old girl, sang my heart out and clapped everyone off the pitch - as I always do. That does not take away from my honest analysis of the game.

Why do you think they played like that?  Lack of confidence.  A win, however it comes, will help with that.

I was there too.  Second half was good.  

Just now, hoxton casual said:

Some are going to jump on a word or phrase or your wording

But I get where you are coming from Hoxton and think your underlying message or at least a note of caution is fair

Our performance up to the goal was frighteningly bad 

The goal as I hoped gave us a bit more confidence and their miss in second half helped at 2-0

Relieved at the win which was the most vital thing as I think we all want and need to hope that it will help shift the momentum

Some individual positives too

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I was critical on Saturday about our lack of style or game plan. Tonight I could see a very clear game plan. 

It was clear that their defence was a shambles, particularly their CB’s, so the game plan I witnessed, first half particularly, was hit long diagonals and try to get our energetic runners in behind their full backs. 

We hit a lot of long balls and diagonals first half, and whilst it was ugly it actually worked come the end. The first 2 goals were both from moves where we hit the channels and managed to get the ball behind their full backs and expose their 2 CB’s. The only 2 times we actually did that and we scored. We tried to get it over the top of the full backs all first half without success but in the end it worked, and that’s all it took. 

So whilst critical of a lack of plan so far this season, I will say fair play to LJ today for abandoning his principles and attempting to expose the oppositions weakness. 

My view too (see my ratings)....first half we didn’t get enough in behind them...Bidwell won a good share v Watkins.

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Some are going to jump on a word or phrase or your wording

But I get where you are coming from Hoxton and think your underlying message or at least a note of caution is fair

Our performance up to the goal was frighteningly bad 

The goal as I hoped gave us a bit more confidence and their miss in second half helped at 2-0

Relieved at the win which was the most vital thing as I think we all want and need to hope that it will help shift the momentum

Some individual positives too

@hoxton casual I get where you’re coming from too.  Normally a 3-0 away win comes with a good performance.  Tonight was about getting over the line.  Experimental361 shows QPR’s xG higher than ours despite the score line.

Just now, RedDave said:

Why do you think they played like that?  Lack of confidence.  A win, however it comes, will help with that.

I was there too.  Second half was good.  

I think partly from LJ's comments he wanted to get away from the ineefective passing game on Saturday,and to compete and be direct but it really was quite a reaction the other way! Second half I thought we would get the ball down but we were nervous and hoofing the ball until the 80th minute. If we had a target man, I can see it, but Matty Taylor fought manfully for everything but of course  it was very difficult for him. A few bits  of class in front of goal, brilliant and great to see but the overall game....

It was an ugly game to watch on the Tele, and if QPR had taken their chances the result may have been different. The fact that they didn't though is their problem. We, however created more chances, and far more importantly scored 3 good goals. I'd take that sort of ugly win over a pretty defeat every day of the week for the time being.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

@hoxton casual I get where you’re coming from too.  Normally a 3-0 away win comes with a good performance.  Tonight was about getting over the line.  Experimental361 shows QPR’s xG higher than ours despite the score line.

Wonderful result, and Weimann and Taylor were real gems, but otherwise against anyone but QPR who looked bereft, we could have really struggled. He really could get sacked in the morning.

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Spot on. People have been moaning about ineffectual possession football and “no Plan B”. Now they’re moaning that Plan B was ugly, even though it worked. The first half hour or so was worrying because it looked unsophisticated, but fair play, humping it down the channels actually worked on this night against this opponent. And we outfought someone.

To be fair. I was having a right go first half, very poor . We just seemed to bypass the midfield with aimless punts that just kept coming back. As previously said, if it was aimed down the channels to turn their defence and play from there then fine under the circumstances but it was pretty poor fair. A wins a win though and we’ll take it. 

1 minute ago, RED4LIFE said:

If that happens off the back of a 3-0 win I will eat my own ass.

Unless you're talking about McLaren in which case that is entirely possible as he is utter dogshit.

He meant mclaren 

7 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I honestly believe some will be gutted we won tonight 

Tonight means nothing unless we build on it and begin to look passably a Championship side with clear targets.

Failure to build upon it means to many of us that LJ must make way for another man to see if he can do better than him

As I have consistently said we'll have a better idea after 10 games.  Three more victories would give us 14 points out of a possible 30, and in my book that wouldn't be a bad job and if the first 4 results are replicated over next 6 games i.e. Say one win, two draws and two defeats it would leave us with 10 points and that would be borderline ok, but less than 10 points and alarm bells should start ringing

This, I suspect, at best will be a roller coaster of a season 

20 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

To be fair. I was having a right go first half, very poor . We just seemed to bypass the midfield with aimless punts that just kept coming back. As previously said, if it was aimed down the channels to turn their defence and play from there then fine under the circumstances but it was pretty poor fair. A wins a win though and we’ll take it. 

It certainly looked ugly and poor and definitely frustrating in the first half, so no doubt lots of us were shouting “stop hitting it to their centre backs head”. 

But we clearly identified that their 2 cb’s were weak when they were turned so as the half wore in I could see the clear plan. Get it behind their full backs, make their CB’s face their own goal and/or pull them out wide and isolate them, and play from there. 

The first 2 goals were examples of this. Once turned, their CB’s were all at sea. Our problem was that we were executing the plan poorly and underhitting or overhitting the long balls. So it looked crap. But it was a clear plan and ultimately it worked. 

10 games is often a useful barometer.

I'm happy we won tonight and some players were excellent, but at the same time, appreciate there is still work to do.

However a 3-0 win away from home at this level...they don't come around often, let alone at QPR with our record there so while there maybe elements of papering over cracks, it's still a positive step forward.

Swansea away will be very different though, interesting to see how we approach that one.

I was about to start a thread called ‘bollox, we won’ to try and goad the ‘haters’ into responding, but it appears they’ve done it for me. 

Sometimes it amazes me that they exist at all, but it’s a weird thing I guess I have to adopt as a City fan. 

Johnson out - after a 3-0 win away - how dare he - we were on for some sort of a record of away defeats (I think) - now we will have to come up with some other bizarre stat to discredit him. 

Perhaps the boos from this game were not from the QPR fans at all - it was the City away fans who wanted a defeat in order to strengthen their argument to get LJ out  

unbelievable 

1 hour ago, hoxton casual said:

really! just played a team that lost their last game 7-1, at home in front their own supporters determined to make amends, and we played a controlled game, a game that I never ever felt we were going to lose, god you're hard to please, and coming from me that's quite something!

1 hour ago, hoxton casual said:

after the results that both teams had before this fixture did you hand on heart expect a  classic, hope you and your little girl can look back and just enjoy the fact we won, it's too early in the season to worry,  look at last season we were brilliant first half then what happened, let's wait and see.

37 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Tonight means nothing unless we build on it and begin to look passably a Championship side with clear targets.

Failure to build upon it means to many of us that LJ must make way for another man to see if he can do better than him

As I have consistently said we'll have a better idea after 10 games.  Three more victories would give us 14 points out of a possible 30, and in my book that wouldn't be a bad job and if the first 4 results are replicated over next 6 games i.e. Say one win, two draws and two defeats it would leave us with 10 points and that would be borderline ok, but less than 10 points and alarm bells should start ringing

This, I suspect, at best will be a roller coaster of a season 

we would only have played 7 games, your maths are pretty crap, I would give you a E minus we already have five points from 4 games!

Archived