IGNORED

3 at the back at Swansea

STeveOELlis

An interesting shout, there's a lot of positive elements in that side.

Would be a way to keep Weimann and Taylor up front without surrendering the midfield. Ball retention shouldn't be an issue either with the 3 centre backs at hand all being technically sound and fairly young, with energy. Maybe being 3 at the back would help Kelly at CB. Plus workrate of Weimann and Taylor could enable some ferocious pressing from the front when out of possession.

1 hour ago, STeveOELlis said:

Nikki

Kalas Webster Kelly

Hunt Pack Brownhill Dasilva/Eliasson 

Paterson

Taylor Weimann

Given LJ/s recent comments in the presser, i can see this being the team. Trying to take a leaf out of Cotts book - may well work

40 minutes ago, joenaldo said:

O Dowda in for paterson maybe ??Given he is more central for Ireland

Theee at the back is a good shout, could play Pack in a more defensive role. Wouldn’t play Patterson and Taylor, and like @joenaldo says O ‘Dowda in the middle could work 

20 minutes ago, daored said:

Theee at the back is a good shout, could play Pack in a more defensive role. Wouldn’t play Patterson and Taylor, and like @joenaldo says O ‘Dowda in the middle could work 

Would also like to see O'Dowda there. Not sure about Eliasson as a wing back, though we could make it a 3-4-3 to keep him in a forward position.

A vaguely Guardiola type formation in fact.

I think the team picks itself on form and players in more conventional positions, barring injuties of course.

Maenpaa

Pisano Webster Kalas Kelly

Watkins Pack Brownhill Eliasson 

Taylor

Weimann

Not too much disruption to Tuesday night's team.

Bench could be a young one, Moore was on it Tuesday and could be joined by Evans or Morrell. Odowda,  Hunt, Patto or Eisa and O Leary.

I'm sure I heard LJ talking about how he needs the depth to cover 'my 4-4-2'. He seems a bit reluctant to move away from that. Just as SC was with 'his' 3-5-2.

Seems it's an obvious option to most of us but so far he's not been interested. He does sometimes switch to this during the game though to be fair.

Given how rigidly he seems to stick to his 442 - despite us getting overrun in midfield fairly regularly - I’d be amazed if he decided Swansea away was the game to go to 3 at the back.

At home against the ‘lesser’ teams I think it’s got mileage as a formation but I’d be surprised to see it Saturday.

Thing is if we use WBs I would like to see a mix like Chelsea did under Conte. They used a high motor winger in Moses with the more traditional(been a defender throughout his career) LB in Alonso. 

That said Hunt and Dasilva are perfect WBs so probably no need. Could use COD on the left as well. If we used it, and I don’t think we will(yet?), I’d go with something like this

Maenpaa

Kalas Baker Webster

Hunt.                   DaSilva

Pack Brownhill

Eliasson

Weimann Diedhiou

Pisano can cover Kalas and Hunt. Wright can cover Kalas and Baker. Kelly can cover Webster. COD can cover DaSilva or any of the front 3. Pato and Eliasson interchangeable as well as Taylor as another option. Could even go more attacking with Eliasson, COD or Watkins at WB. 

Point is we have options for many positions but 3 of our highest calibre players on paper are CBs in Kalas, Baket(needs to step up) and Webster. Surely you find your best XI and suit the formation around them? 

2 hours ago, otib118 said:

pretty sure he played in at mid for his old club a few times, remember watching the Youtube video ond pretty sure they said it on thre

You did indeed, I’d like to see him in behind Famara and Weismann. Give him the freedom to go left, right. Get crosses in plus use his pace and direct play. 3-4-1-2

5 hours ago, STeveOELlis said:

Nikki

Kalas Webster Kelly

Paterson

Taylor Weimann

Given LJ/s recent comments in the presser, i can see this being the team. Trying to take a leaf out of Cotts book - may well work

Don’t think we’re good enough to play 3 at the back, not in this league anyway 

Kelly is not a left back - I hope he is not the next player we will see shoe-horned into the side - fed up with this.

The strongest (currently fit) XI on paper sees Webster, Kelly and Kalas fighting it out for 2 spaces - pick two and crack on - plenty of chances through injuries etc will develop for whoever misses out or even try some squad rotation to keep everybody fresh !?!

I wouldbe tempted to play the same team thatbeat QPR 3-0.  It would not srnd a great message to a team which has just done the business if we changed it.

The only exception would be to swap Eros for Kalas as Eros is not really a centreback even though he has done a fair job filling in.

We will have options on the bench if we find it is not working out.

The rightback situation is interesting as I think that whilst Hunt is better going forward, Eros is a better defender.

I have no problem with Kelly playing at either LB orcentre back and am actually not sure now which is his best position.

15 hours ago, STeveOELlis said:

Nikki

Kalas Webster Kelly

Paterson

Taylor Weimann

I have a feeling that you could be almost spot on, but with two changes.

Dasilva at left wing back and Eliasson instead of Paterson.

Bench of Pisano, Baker assuming fit enough, Walsh, Watkins, O'Dowda, Eisa and Max.

PS. Now read all if the threads and Rednotblue has beaten me to it.

12 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I'm sure I heard LJ talking about how he needs the depth to cover 'my 4-4-2'. He seems a bit reluctant to move away from that. Just as SC was with 'his' 3-5-2.

Seems it's an obvious option to most of us but so far he's not been interested. He does sometimes switch to this during the game though to be fair.

For an allegedly progressive coach LJ seems to be remarkably rigid, not to say old fashioned, when it comes to formations.

SC was similarly stubborn as you say but he did at least introduce 3-5-2 when it was unfashionable.

4-4-2 can and does lead to us being wide open to counter attacks through the middle but LJ seems oblivious to that.

Those long conversations with Pep, who has his principles but changed his usual set up against Huddersfield last week, don't seem to have had much impact.

10 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

LJ plays 442 or 4411. No way will he switch to 3 at the back.

The system we are actually using, in home games at least, appears to be 2-3-4-1.

Two centre backs, two full backs pushed forward with Pack in between, two wingers very narrow with another midfield and one striker in front if them, with Weimann up front.

Again, I could be talking through my backside.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

4-4-2 is simply a template from which by moving just one player becomes a 3-5-2, a 4-3-3 or any formation. It’s flexible and why so many teams use it. 

I really do think there’s a lot of hot air when it comes to which formation is best.

Any formation is flexible in theory, the question is what happens in practice.

Time and again we have seen us being left wide open through the middle. In theory somebody could drop into midfield to make it a 3 when the opposition have the ball but it doesn't actually seem to happen.

my reading of the Sheff Wed forum is that Hunt was regarded as a good wingback but suspect in defence, so this could be a very good option.  A fully fit squad (exclulding Korey) might offer something like this:

Maenpaa

Kalas Webster Baker

Hunt Brownhill Pack Kelly/Dasilva

Weimann Paterson

Diedhiou

Eliasson is probably the player who would least fit into a system with three at the back.

48 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Any formation is flexible in theory, the question is what happens in practice.

Time and again we have seen us being left wide open through the middle. In theory somebody could drop into midfield to make it a 3 when the opposition have the ball but it doesn't actually seem to happen.

True that- I think 4-4-2 is one of the less flexible myself, but yeah agree.

I think the key in some of these we apply...someone like Brownhill behind Weimann would offer an interesting proposition- suggested before Walsh in the '10' role- support in the attacking phase, drop back into a 3 in the defensive phase- perhaps press in the midfield phase- something like that perhaps.

Could even when everyone is fit- though it could come at the expense of Diedhiou so I'm not sure- let's call it a potential plan C.

Maenpaa

Kalas Webster Baker

Hunt Brownhill Pack Smith Kelly/Dasilva

Walsh

Weimann

Essentially, a 3-5-2 but not necessarily. Weimann can work prodigiously, and in the attacking phase the wing backs can get up the pitch and Walsh can support- Pack can sit or push forward with his defence splitting balls based on the situation, plus Webster or Kalas depending on who is most comfortable on the ball can step up into midfield as and when appropriate. . In the defensive phase resort to the 3-5-2...plus then Walsh drops back into midfield, creating a 3-6-1 depending on where the play is, and working hard out of possession when in midfield.

Could also morph into a back 4 with some ease, the ball playing centre back could then play between the midfield and the defence in certain phases.

Archived