IGNORED

Swansea memories.....

BCFC1512

2 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Who remembers this great day ? I tried to leave at 5-0 they wouldn’t let me 

9B03F3C7-6437-40CB-BF0F-43BA5831F623.jpeg

I remember a better night, in 1990, when Bob Taylor put a hat-trick past them at the old Vetch Field and we strolled out 5-0 winners.  Can't remember a better drive back from an away game, as the M4 was packed with cars flying City flags out of the windows.

15 minutes ago, tommy32 said:

Remember my first and only trip to the Vetch on a firework night late 90s I guess. Think Carey and Hulbert scored in a 2-2 draw? Lots of trouble after the game, was like a war zone! 

That was an awful night , memory of fireworks being set off at the away end and certainly the streets outside were running battles 

3 minutes ago, daored said:

That was an awful night , memory of fireworks being set off at the away end and certainly the streets outside were running battles 

Yep I remember the fireworks going off I think in home and away ends. It seemed to  be a signal for certain groups to leave the ground and kick off outside. Certainly remember that sight on leaving the away end and the walk back to Tesco being pretty hairy 

36 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I remember them dominating us at AG back in 2011. One of the best away team performances I can remember at Ashton Gate

Last time we played them I think - and yeah we barely touched ball in that game!

Was that the Brendon Rogers team?

Prefer to remember the away game earlier that season.

Early goal from Stead I think then about 80 minutes of defending for a 1-0.

Flipping cold night.

46 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

9B03F3C7-6437-40CB-BF0F-43BA5831F623.jpeg

I’m pretty sure I didn’t see a single goal that day.

id gone under the stand for an early pint Andi think we were 2 down by half time. I there for bought a few extra and the third went in soon after half time. I bought another pint just before they shut and proceeded to drink throughout the second half.

up the city!

My only visit to the Vetch was for an FA Cup game, I think in 1990's.

Accompanied by late first wife. She went into the ladies toilet and came out coughing and looking decidedly uncomfortable. She said the stench in there was so bad and there was a dead canary on the floor. I explained that they used canaries in the mines to detect poisonous gases.

Then before the game started, we were stood on the terrace, when two blow up sheep were thrown around by the lads and she asked me why. I said it was to wind up the natives who were all looking very red faced and screaming abuse at everyone in our end. She was speechless!

Vaguely remember we got a draw but not certain of that. I'd take that now for Saturday.

Remember going to the Liberty in the last game of the season a few years back. Boring game with no atmosphere given there was little to play for. Think it finished 2 all or something like that.

Stadium itself is very nice and impressive but bit of an odd location (their equivalent of Avonmouth).

Find it hard to 'hate' Swansea as, alike us, they despise Cardiff, and you always see Union Jacks flying in the ground, a nice touch for the notoriously independent-minded Welsh.

I remember my one and only visit to The Vetch

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

My only visit to the Vetch was for an FA Cup game, I think in 1990's.

Accompanied by late first wife. She went into the ladies toilet and came out coughing and looking decidedly uncomfortable. She said the stench in there was so bad and there was a dead canary on the floor. I explained that they used canaries in the mines to detect poisonous gases.

Then before the game started, we were stood on the terrace, when two blow up sheep were thrown around by the lads and she asked me why. I said it was to wind up the natives who were all looking very red faced and screaming abuse at everyone in our end. She was speechless!

Vaguely remember we got a draw but not certain of that. I'd take that now for Saturday.

#_OLD_GROUND_Swansea_vetch.jpg

1 hour ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

If memory serves, it was a bubble trip, and the police wouldn't even let us go and sit on the coaches in the car park when it went to 5 or 6. We had to sit and suffer until the final whistle. I also remember Swansea having a goal ruled out, which looked like a dubious decision - so it really could have been 8-1 that day.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I recall the League Cup game at Ashton Gate in 2003 where Leon Britton ran the show, they were the better team...and we won 4-1 after extra time!

All sides of the ground applauded him when he was substituted, which is an unusual sight!

That thrashing in Tinnion's final game as manager was just horrible.  I haven't been back to the Liberty Stadium since.

I used to love going to away games at the Vetch - proper old ground, feisty atmosphere, decent sized away terrace. Walking through the streets near the ground before and after games was a hair-raising experience as well.

24 minutes ago, North London Red said:

If memory serves, it was a bubble trip, and the police wouldn't even let us go and sit on the coaches in the car park when it went to 5 or 6. We had to sit and suffer until the final whistle. I also remember Swansea having a goal ruled out, which looked like a dubious decision - so it really could have been 8-1 that day.

All sides of the ground applauded him when he was substituted, which is an unusual sight!

I tried to leave asked if I could sit on coach! Police wouldn’t let me haha

My memory was about 1988- 2-0 win for city at the gate . I recall especially as I’d won a competition to be mascot for city - through the Sunday Independent - ( remember that awesome local paper!)

I was quite tall for my age and was bigger than Steve Galliers as well who was captain - but not as big as Robbie James - Swansea captain who was a huge great lump

ive still got the signed footy they gave me that day - must be worth millions ... 

I remember Jan Molby's first game in charge of Swansea in I think 96. Crowd of about 4,000 with City taking half of that on that great away terrace - from memory it didn't have anywhere near as many crush barriers as other grounds, so the crowd surge would take you plunging down forever. Bouncing atmosphere, and plenty of bother throughout the day. by 11 in the morning the Swansea Jack pub had already been well and truly ventilated :D a great drink up and a proper away day despite losing. Lovely old ground was the Vetch, and as others have noted, always something wicked in the air - and not just from the bogs. Not been to the Liberty, neither do I have any inclination to. 

On 24/08/2018 at 10:50, North London Red said:

If memory serves, it was a bubble trip, and the police wouldn't even let us go and sit on the coaches in the car park when it went to 5 or 6. We had to sit and suffer until the final whistle. 

No wonder Tins didn't leave the dugout until 30 minutes after the game.

Archived