IGNORED

Fair play to Wigan (Merged)

phantom

2 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

I know this is a Friday and on sky but come City let’s return the favour in the return game!

They wouldn’t be doing it if it wasn’t on Sky. Utterly unrelated and no need to reciprocate at all. 

Maybe we should do this for any televised home fixtures, but not just in return for Wigan trying to shift a few more tickets, however good a shout as it is. 

Presumably they're discounting home tickets due to Sky and are obliged to ensure away ticket prices have parity.

In any case a very good gesture to want to reverse and correctly bill our few hundred existing purchased tickets.

Doesn't surprise me, only ever found places like Preston and Wigan to be (oddly?) friendly, cheap and welcoming.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

They wouldn’t be doing it if it wasn’t on Sky. Utterly unrelated and no need to reciprocate at all. 

Maybe we should do this for any televised home fixtures, but not just in return for Wigan trying to shift a few more tickets, however good a shout as it is. 

Indeed but no other team has done it for us on TV before 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Presumably they're discounting home tickets due to Sky and are obliged to ensure away ticket prices have parity.

In any case a very good gesture to want to reverse and correctly bill our few hundred existing purchased tickets.

Doesn't surprise me, only ever found places like Preston and Wigan to be (oddly?) friendly, cheap and welcoming.

Yes, the staff in Wigan Central, (great boozer that it is) behaved particukarly oddly demanding that mobile phone chargers were PAT tested before being allowed to be used! 

6 minutes ago, Atyeo's lift said:

I've a slight problem with this one. It's my Golden Wedding Anniversary that day and I suggested to the wife we stay in and get a take-away (I have access to Sky). This hasn't gone down well so far. Any suggestions?

A weekend away in the lakes with a Friday night stopover in Wigan`s most luxurious hotel?

Then, when she`s settled down in your suite just nip out for some fags and when you get back two hours later, just tell her you had to go to Bolton to find a newsagent that was open.

54 minutes ago, Atyeo's lift said:

I've a slight problem with this one. It's my Golden Wedding Anniversary that day and I suggested to the wife we stay in and get a take-away (I have access to Sky). This hasn't gone down well so far. Any suggestions?

Take her for a night of Northern Soul after the game. 

4 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Friday night and on Sky but only £10 tickets, will be a new ground for some I'd think given we've played there once in the last 20 years.

Just over 200 sold to date and on general sale now. Would be good to have a decent following at this one.

We’ve played there FIVE times in the 19 years since it opened in August 1999....

9 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

One of few grounds that the s*gs could say was worse than theirs without fear of contradiction.

I’d question that .... great away terrace and they sold Wagon Wheels in the refreshment hut for away fans, whatever happened to that legendary snack?!

Good old Springfield Park - trumps the Mem on every level! 

Incidentally, last time I drove to a game there I was flagged down by a guy near the ground, I stopped, wound down the window and he asked: “Excuse me mate, is there a B&Q in Wigan?” I replied: “W-I-G-A-N....no there isn’t mate...” and drove on....

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’d question that .... great away terrace and they sold Wagon Wheels in the refreshment hut for away fans, whatever happened to that legendary snack?!

Good old Springfield Park - trumps the Mem on every level! 

Incidentally, last time I drove to a game there I was flagged down by a guy near the ground, I stopped, wound down the window and he asked: “Excuse me mate, is there a B&Q in Wigan?” I replied: “W-I-G-A-N....no there isn’t mate...” and drove on....

Those railway sleepers for terracing! Regarding Wagon Wheels, I`ve got three packets of six in the cupboard, they were on special in Morrisons last week.

Before the days of GPS and/or TomTom, get to Wigan early without really sussing out where exactly the ground is.

No problem; have a few beers and head towards the floodlights of the stadium - we can see them not so far away from where we are drinking.

Get to the ground itself 10 minutes or so before kick-off - nobody queuing to get in so should be no problem, except everything is locked up.

Reality then hits to confirm that Rugby League is bigger in Wigan than football, resulting in a mad dash to the old football ground!

11 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

One of few grounds that the s*gs could say was worse than theirs without fear of contradiction.

Yep. You have to go back nearly 20 years, and focus on a ground that was basically condemned way back then, to find anything that comes below The Mem in the slum pecking order. 

They didn’t even havevthe best ground in non league. Not even close to it..! 

Archived