IGNORED

Ryan Woods

Corsham Ed

Me too, Corsham, but we'd be accused of living in Dream World.

Still, there are benefits to Dream World. City have won the Champions League for 5 consecutive seasons and now play in the Stade de Steve, an 80,000 capacity behemoth that was erected on the backs of Ashton Vale dog walkers, and features the Moulin Rouge wall, an all singing a Capella homage to safe standing. Come on in, the water's lovely and the zyder is well cloudy.

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Its not hindsight. It was pretty obvious he was a good player then and would be even better in the future. Knowing this was happening at the time I was stunned we turned him away. So definitely not hindsight. 

10 hours ago, Harry said:

Its not hindsight. It was pretty obvious he was a good player then and would be even better in the future. Knowing this was happening at the time I was stunned we turned him away. So definitely not hindsight. 

One of my favourite players in the Championship. Always plays well when I watch him.

Would have bought all 3 gingers when we went up. Rated all of them our double winning season. Doyle, Clucas and Woods. Think Doyle left midseason tbf but would have been about 3m total outlay? Only one that hasn’t done it was Doyle but reckon he would have scored here(everyone does!). 

In the past we have passed up chances on the likes of Woods and McGuire, and others. More recently we did likewise with Ollie Watkins.

There will always be ones who got away but sometimes we seem to reject players of obvious merit.

The other side of the coin though is that if we sign a player from Leagues 1 or 2 a minority of fans will have a tantrum because they want somebody they think is a big name.

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

In the past we have passed up chances on the likes of Woods and McGuire, and others. More recently we did likewise with Ollie Watkins.

There will always be ones who got away but sometimes we seem to reject players of obvious merit.

The other side of the coin though is that if we sign a player from Leagues 1 or 2 a minority of fans will have a tantrum because they want somebody they think is a big name.

Let's not re-write history. We did not pass on Harry Maguire (sic). City knew he was a good player (John Pemberton), were interested, made an enquiry - possibly even a formal offer - that was rejected.

That's completely different from scouts recommending Ryan Woods and City replying he's not good enough, not what we want, we're not interested and refusing to even consider making an offer for him.

You're right, there are plenty City have passed on that have proved themselves good players - Harry and others on here have a list as long as your arm but it won't have Maguire's name on it. Strangely it does include a centre half who is now filling Maguire's boots at Sheffield United - Jon Egan

10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Let's not re-write history. We did not pass on Harry Maguire (sic). City knew he was a good player (John Pemberton), were interested, made an enquiry - possibly even a formal offer - that was rejected.

From what I heard the offer was accepted and terms were agreed ... initially. 

20 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That's completely different from scouts recommending Ryan Woods and City replying he's not good enough, not what we want, we're not interested and refusing to even consider making an offer for him.

You're right, there are plenty City have passed on that have proved themselves good players - Harry and others on here have a list as long as your arm but it won't have Maguire's name on it. Strangely it does include a centre half who is now filling Maguire's boots at Sheffield United - Jon Egan

Corrections appreciated. Was I thinking Mawson before he went to Barnsley perhaps?

Anyway, historically we have been a bit snobbish about players from lower leagues imo, including non league.

Indeed, when explaining the bias towards signing players from Europe at the time we were doing that, MA said there weren't many gems in the lower leagues. I think the evidence suggests otherwise.

No doubt he would argue that the cost is higher domestically but on the other hand I would suggest the risk is lower.

Archived