IGNORED

SL will need to build the indoor Arena now

Fiale

1 minute ago, Fiale said:

Hopefully will make SL's plans easier to get through though.

If the transport links to Ashton Gate were better, a medium sized arena would be a great venue for the whole of Bristol.

Can't see how Marvin and pals will ever get one built. We've waited 30 years for a metro/tram system and have ended up with a few new bus lanes, one of which isn't wide enough for buses.

Unfortunately I think the AG arena will be built to accommodate the basketball and not much else.

But yes, hopefully the planners won't step in the way of our progress just because they can't get their own house in order.

1 hour ago, Xiled said:

If the transport links to Ashton Gate were better, a medium sized arena would be a great venue for the whole of Bristol.

Can't see how Marvin and pals will ever get one built. We've waited 30 years for a metro/tram system and have ended up with a few new bus lanes, one of which isn't wide enough for buses.

Unfortunately I think the AG arena will be built to accommodate the basketball and not much else.

But yes, hopefully the planners won't step in the way of our progress just because they can't get their own house in order.

Aren't they supposed to be redeveloping the old Barbizon hangar at Filton, a much better place for an arena what with the m4 and m5 close by.

19 minutes ago, pillred said:

Aren't they supposed to be redeveloping the old Barbizon hangar at Filton, a much better place for an arena what with the m4 and m5 close by.

Not for the centre of Bristol it isn't, it's a death knell.

Rees is a corrupt fraud, bought and paid for by dodgy Malaysian money- just like the Cardiff scum.

29 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Not for the centre of Bristol it isn't, it's a death knell.

Rees is a corrupt fraud, bought and paid for by dodgy Malaysian money- just like the Cardiff scum.

I'm just seeing it from an access point of view, the centre of the city is a bit small road wise, just imagine 12 thousand people descending on the area around temple meads all at once, think it would be a nightmare.  

1 hour ago, pillred said:

I'm just seeing it from an access point of view, the centre of the city is a bit small road wise, just imagine 12 thousand people descending on the area around temple meads all at once, think it would be a nightmare.  

12 thousand people (mostly in cars) heading to Filton on a Friday night would be a much bigger nightmare.

• Admin
3 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

12 thousand people (mostly in cars) heading to Filton on a Friday night would be a much bigger nightmare.

Agree, it'll be no easier than getting to Cardiff or Birmingham etc now, I thought red trousers was inept but this clown has taken it to new depths. 

Filton may have space around it but the location will be a nightmare to get to, no rail infrastructure or any public transport and having a motorway on the doorstep will just create bottle necks in that area 

Am surprised nothing has come out about the Wickes site being redeveloped I thought that had been purchased a long time ago... 

Or maybe it will be a big surprise announcement? 

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The residents in all the new housing in Patchway are going to be chuffed. Unless they run more trains into Patchway or open North Filton on the Henbury loop line to passenger traffic a bloody big car park will be needed. I feel an RPZ or two coming on. 

I live on the new estate and an arena nearby sounds good for me, bad for Bristol.

On balance I'd prefer an arena in the city centre but if not then Filton over Ashton Gate all the time, much better location for the majority.

9 hours ago, Xiled said:

I thought permission was a quid pro quo as SL has agreed to give access rights over his AV land for the new (albeit unlikely to ever happen) houses being built on part of the Alderman Moores site? Sure @Tomarse or @Dollymarie might know. 

9 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I thought permission was a quid pro quo as SL has agreed to give access rights over his AV land for the new (albeit unlikely to ever happen) houses being built on part of the Alderman Moores site? Sure @Tomarse or @Dollymarie might know. 

I can only presume that the announcements have been delayed due to the arena fiasco already going on. 

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Yes, how on earth do other major cities cope with people going to concerts venues in the city centre?

Answer - They have plenty of parking and good transport links!

Bristol = None of the above

8 hours ago, pillred said:

M4 and M5 not much use if you live IN Bristol. I thought this was for Bristolians. Stinks of corruption.

10 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I can see it all getting tangled up in a public enquiry after the final announcement it’s at Filton.

isnt it time we had a vote to get rid of mayors? 

I thought that option was going to be on the next ballot paper.

25 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Boundary is a strange shape up there, isn't it? Looks like the Arena will be in Bristol but all the infrastructure problems will be South Glos' ! 

It looks like the Arena will be in Bristol but the car park in South Glos.

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Mainly to get rid of the fuckwomble Ferguson. 

Yes indeed

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Marvin is infinitely worse 

As someone who voted for Marvin, seeing him as the best chance of getting rid of red trousers, I can’t help but feel massively disappointed at all that Marvin promised/hinted at, but has failed to do. 

Politician understandably doesn’t want to commit to a project that will likely cost twice as much as originally proposed for something the city arguably doesn’t need. Meanwhile the only distinct thing about Bristol (independent venues) have all been closing down. Not that it makes sense to then build one in Filton but he promised it in his manifesto. Bristol would have had an areana built by now had its finances not been cut in half by national government (who spend 80% of our taxes)

I left Bristol 20 years ago, we had an old but characterful theatre a tired looking concert venue, dreadful traffic issues, a ring round that didn’t go all the way round, and for a part of it, one of the TWO lanes was for buses and multiple occupancy meaning my morning commute was sat in an Uber long line of traffic watching the odd bus and multiple occupancy car go sailing by. Now and again you’d see a single driven car go haring down hoping there wasn’t a police check by Frenchay, and once Noel Edmonds driving along with a life size blow up doll complete with wig in the passesenger seat...

We had talk, of trams, buses, concert venues, new grounds, not redeveloped for both Bristol City and Bristol Rovers,  even an underground train network. All of which has never come to pass.

When I’m talking to people about my home city I tell them what a fabulous city it is, full of a diverse and vibrant people, one good football team, one comedy act club but an overriding feeling of political infighting, one up man ship and the apathy “it will never get built, this is Bristol, after all”

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Marvin is infinitely worse 

Yep, afraid he is.  I've had to move over to the North side recently for family reasons of my partner (we have an agreement that we'll move back after a few years!) so it'll personally benefit me, but it was a far far far better proposal to have it at TM all round. This city is somehow successful despite the complete ****wits that run it, not because of them.. Every other major city can get it right but we just can't. An embarrassment. 

Archived