IGNORED

Ratings - Away v Swansea

Davefevs

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Swanstv never said anything positive about us all game other than Kelly was having a great match and dominating their wingers.

This. I appreciate that they were a home commentary team, but sometimes I thought we were watching different games. 

It my have been around the 60 minute mark they said "The Bristol City fans haven't had much to shout about today," implying that Swansea were dominating! Whilst Swansea weren't penned in their half in the first half, in terms of chances created we were all over them.

11 minutes ago, Dman_Red said:

This. I appreciate that they were a home commentary team, but sometimes I thought we were watching different games. 

It my have been around the 60 minute mark they said "The Bristol City fans haven't had much to shout about today," implying that Swansea were dominating! Whilst Swansea weren't penned in their half in the first half, in terms of chances created we were all over them.

Radio Wales were very fair and said win was well deserved

Maenpaa - 8. Quality

Hunt - 7. The weaker of the two wings

Kalas - 8 barely anything to do, in a good way!

webster - 8 as good as tues

kelly - 9 nothing got passed him, linked up with Eliasson well

eliasson - 8 such a threat

pack - 8 his usual commanding self

brownhill 8 - so much energy, get link up with pack

watkins - 5 didn’t really do much

weimann - 8 the bloke is immense. His goal line clearance was great moment

taylor - 6 you could tell he was suffering from 2 games in a week

dowda - 7 ran with it way more than usual. Worked!

21 minutes ago, Dman_Red said:

My favourite after a shot went well wide so Maenpaa didn't even bother diving, 'if that was on target the goalie was beaten'

Watched the game on a stream this afternoon on my iPad, so don’t always the greatest picture, so happy to see opinions from those who did go.

I thought we lined up nice and solid, and although Swansea got the ball into their midfield easily enough in the opening 15-20 minutes, that was as far as they got.  After that we stopped them even doing that, and the press (not seen as much this season) seemed to start getting us on the ball in much more advanced positions, which we should have maybe got the second goal from. Second half was more of the same, and until the last 20, when I thought O’Dowda pushed too high, leaving Hunt and then Pisano 1-on-1 too often with Montero, and that allowed Swansea to put us under pressure.  With that though, we worked hard as a team, and bodies on the line (not too often required though) to Close the game out.  

Mäenpää 7 - so assured, safe handling, pluck crosses out of the air, and a crucial save at his near post in 2nd half. Got to be first choice when FF returns.

Hunt 6 - thought he did well defensively but still not looking full of confidence with the ball.  Nice composure to chest back to Mäenpää when under pressure.  Tough opponents in McKay and then Montero.  Steadily improving.

Pisano (for Hunt) - not on long enough to rate, but continued from where Hunt left off, and was a bit more physical with Montero.

Kelly 8 - starting to struggle to find different words to describe his performances.  Today was classy against Asoro who gave Bryan an awful 45 minutes for Sunderland last season.  Criticism of him not getting forward were dispelled today.  He might not get to the by-line, but his linkage with Eliasson and clever passing forward/inside to the willing runs of Taylor and Weimann stood out today.

Webster 7 - got the balance (Soldier/Painter as LJ said) spot on between playing and defending today.  Really liked his performance today.  Sniffed out the dangerous McBurnie, and frustrated him into petty fouls which he should’ve been carded for.

Kalas 7 - just did exactly what you want a CB to do.  Couldn’t always tell him and Webster apart and one of them probably should’ve got an 8.  Baker and Wright are gonna have to wait for their chance.

Watkins 6 - started ok and did what we needed against Olsson, a tough all-round LB.  Dead leg curtailed his afternoon.

O’Dowda (for Watkins) 6 - started really well, getting shots and crosses in in the final 15 minutes of 1st half.  Should’ve done better with the rebound shot.  Second half started well, but I then thought he was too advanced, having to come back for keeper kicks, and leaving Hunt/Pisano with a lot of pitch to cover.  Swans got the ball out to a Montero easily and although COD got back to support it felt a bit uneasy for 10 minutes or so.

Pack 8 - imperious captain’s performance today.  Classy.  Just did everything you wanted him to do with and without the ball.

Brownhill 7 - tenacious pressing, supporting the front and I thought his passing was on the mark today.  Proving the right partner for a Pack.

Eliasson 8 - really starting to show what he’s all about.  Had their RB on toast.  Created the goal, created chances for team mates and himself.  Maturing nicely and the makings of a really good left side with Kelly (22 and 19....jeez).

Paterson (for Eliasson) - not on long enough to rate, did the end of the job to get us over the line.

Taylor 7 - much better performance today.  Sparked off of Weimann, ran the channels so well, and touch much better.  Looked happier rather than the frustrated figure we saw when he came on v Boro.

Weimann 8 - forget the scrappy goal, this was a fine mobile-CF display today. Come short, go long, spin your marker, make the ball stick.  Goal-line clearance too.  No need to rush Diedhiou back on the evidence today.  Could go on and on about his play, but £2m....a snip!

Well done all of the team today.

Maenpaa 7 will usually be a 7 too unless does something terribly wrong or has to make many saves. Just feels safer back there with him. 

Hunt 7 feels like he takes unneccesary risks at times but it often comes off for him. Worked his socks off today though defensively

Kalas 8 maybe because he is new but thought he made defending look easy. Very quick too which I think will be a major asset for us

Webster 7 so much better when he keeps it simple. Worthy replacement for Flint in the form of the last two matches with the ability to find a pass

Kelly 8 could be Gandalf because wingers shall not pass. Showed some clever little passes in the opposition half too. 

Watkins was playing well I thought before he came off. 

Pack 8 thought he was classy and ran the show the performance we come to expect from him but needs to realise this is the expectation now and needs to live up to it

Brownhill 8 my MoM. The work this boy goes through is amazing. When he first joined no chance he could get through 90 minutes but he keeps going now. Never panics, great touches in the centre of the pitch, non stop running and always available. One of the best midfielders in the division if he can keep that up

Eliasson 7 was fantastic today but the cynic in me thought he missed too good a chance to have a higher rating.

Taylor 7 if Matty can be a nuisance like he was today for every minute he is on the pitch then he is an asset. Still not convinced he will get us many goals though.

Weimann 8 can watch this guy play football all day. Runs non stop and has quality too. Pops up absolutely everywhere and was close to Brownhill for my MoM

COD 7 was closer to his best today. Still looked very tired near the end and come on 20 min after everyone else started. So feels like still getting back to his best. Seemed a bit more aggressive and direct today so some good signs there

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Watched the game on a stream this afternoon on my iPad, so don’t always the greatest picture, so happy to see opinions from those who did go.

I thought we lined up nice and solid, and although Swansea got the ball into their midfield easily enough in the opening 15-20 minutes, that was as far as they got.  After that we stopped them even doing that, and the press (not seen as much this season) seemed to start getting us on the ball in much more advanced positions, which we should have maybe got the second goal from. Second half was more of the same, and until the last 20, when I thought O’Dowda pushed too high, leaving Hunt and then Pisano 1-on-1 too often with Montero, and that allowed Swansea to put us under pressure.  With that though, we worked hard as a team, and bodies on the line (not too often required though) to Close the game out.  

Mäenpää 7 - so assured, safe handling, pluck crosses out of the air, and a crucial save at his near post in 2nd half. Got to be first choice when FF returns.

Hunt 6 - thought he did well defensively but still not looking full of confidence with the ball.  Nice composure to chest back to Mäenpää when under pressure.  Tough opponents in McKay and then Montero.  Steadily improving.

Pisano (for Hunt) - not on long enough to rate, but continued from where Hunt left off, and was a bit more physical with Montero.

Kelly 8 - starting to struggle to find different words to describe his performances.  Today was classy against Asoro who gave Bryan an awful 45 minutes for Sunderland last season.  Criticism of him not getting forward were dispelled today.  He might not get to the by-line, but his linkage with Eliasson and clever passing forward/inside to the willing runs of Taylor and Weimann stood out today.

Webster 7 - got the balance (Soldier/Painter as LJ said) spot on between playing and defending today.  Really liked his performance today.  Sniffed out the dangerous McBurnie, and frustrated him into petty fouls which he should’ve been carded for.

Kalas 7 - just did exactly what you want a CB to do.  Couldn’t always tell him and Webster apart and one of them probably should’ve got an 8.  Baker and Wright are gonna have to wait for their chance.

Watkins 6 - started ok and did what we needed against Olsson, a tough all-round LB.  Dead leg curtailed his afternoon.

O’Dowda (for Watkins) 6 - started really well, getting shots and crosses in in the final 15 minutes of 1st half.  Should’ve done better with the rebound shot.  Second half started well, but I then thought he was too advanced, having to come back for keeper kicks, and leaving Hunt/Pisano with a lot of pitch to cover.  Swans got the ball out to a Montero easily and although COD got back to support it felt a bit uneasy for 10 minutes or so.

Pack 8 - imperious captain’s performance today.  Classy.  Just did everything you wanted him to do with and without the ball.

Brownhill 7 - tenacious pressing, supporting the front and I thought his passing was on the mark today.  Proving the right partner for a Pack.

Eliasson 8 - really starting to show what he’s all about.  Had their RB on toast.  Created the goal, created chances for team mates and himself.  Maturing nicely and the makings of a really good left side with Kelly (22 and 19....jeez).

Paterson (for Eliasson) - not on long enough to rate, did the end of the job to get us over the line.

Taylor 7 - much better performance today.  Sparked off of Weimann, ran the channels so well, and touch much better.  Looked happier rather than the frustrated figure we saw when he came on v Boro.

Weimann 8 - forget the scrappy goal, this was a fine mobile-CF display today. Come short, go long, spin your marker, make the ball stick.  Goal-line clearance too.  No need to rush Diedhiou back on the evidence today.  Could go on and on about his play, but £2m....a snip!

Well done all of the team today.

Agree about Weimann-no way would I be changing anything next Sunday if Weimann's knock is no more than that..

I have to say this is the first time all 2018 I have felt that we actually looked like we did in our pomp last season, confident and full of running.

Maenpaa - 8 All you can ask from a keeper is to confidently deal with what comes your way and he did that, looks more confident with every game.

Hunt - 6 He is strong and a danger going forward, but as I have been saying for a couple of weeks, he is too often oblivious to where ‘his’ man is when we are defending.

Webster - 8 Looks a great signing, confident and getting stronger by the game.

Kalas - 8 Great debut, looks the part and quickly formed a partnership with Webster.

Kelly - 7 Generally had a great game, a few sloppy wayward passes in the 2nd half marks him down for me, but what a talent another getting stronger and more confident with each game.

Pack - 8 MOM again, at last we have a proper captain, barking out orders, encouraging and bollicking where needed.

Brownhill - 8 Tireless performance, always there defensively to assist his defence.

Eliasson - 7 Played well, his confidence is growing with each game, more to come I am sure.

Watkins - 4 Doesn’t look fully match fit to me, needless booking.

Taylor - 7 Nobody can fault his commitment.

Weimann - 8 Another goal and always a threat, relishing his stint up front.

O’Dowda - 7 Certainly played his part and more of a threat than Watkins.

LJ - 8 Has certainly got them looking more like the team of last year, my only slight criticism is I might have replaced Eliasson with Walsh, I thought our midfield needed a bit of help.

I truly hope that report of a midfield loaner is correct, with Smith we need other options.

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I have to say this is the first time all 2018 I have felt that we actually looked like we did in our pomp last season, confident and full of running.

Maenpaa - 8 All you can ask from a keeper is to confidently deal with what comes your way and he did that, looks more confident with every game.

Hunt - 6 He is strong and a danger going forward, but as I have been saying for a couple of weeks, he is too often oblivious to where ‘his’ man is when we are defending.

Webster - 8 Looks a great signing, confident and getting stronger by the game.

Kalas - 8 Great debut, looks the part and quickly formed a partnership with Webster.

Kelly - 7 Generally had a great game, a few sloppy wayward passes in the 2nd half marks him down for me, but what a talent another getting stronger and more confident with each game.

Pack - 8 MOM again, at last we have a proper captain, barking out orders, encouraging and bollicking where needed.

Brownhill - 8 Tireless performance, always there defensively to assist his defence.

Eliasson - 7 Played well, his confidence is growing with each game, more to come I am sure.

Watkins - 4 Doesn’t look fully match fit to me, needless booking.

Taylor - 7 Nobody can fault his commitment.

Weimann - 8 Another goal and always a threat, relishing his stint up front.

O’Dowda - 7 Certainly played his part and more of a threat than Watkins.

LJ - 8 Has certainly got them looking more like the team of last year, my only slight criticism is I might have replaced Eliasson with Walsh, I thought our midfield needed a bit of help.

I truly hope that report of a midfield loaner is correct, with Smith we need other options.

Agree with all of these except Kelly, who I'd have scored a 9 and made MoM. Thought he was excellent defensively against a tricky opponent and carried a threat going forward too. So composed too, a real star in the making.

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

Agree with all of these except Kelly, who I'd have scored a 9 and made MoM. Thought he was excellent defensively against a tricky opponent and carried a threat going forward too. So composed too, a real star in the making.

I agree with much of what you say, defensively great and put over the cross of the match that Wiemann nearly converted but as I said there were several needless sloppy passes that put us under unnecessary pressure in the 4th quarter of the game.

Maenpaa: 8- Made some great saves and commanded his box very well. Kicking was good enough one did go out of play but other than that he was very good on the ball.

Hunt: 7- Worked hard and did his job very well. Montano gave him a few problems but coped well. Came off injured though and hopefully that’s nothing concerning.

Kalas: 9- Incredible. Fantastic debut and coped with McBurnie very well. Also got the best out of Webster.

Webster: 7- Another great performance. Seems to be settling in now and looks so comfortable on the ball. Hopefully he can look a lot better alongside Kalas.

Kelly: 9- Fantastic performance. Defensively did his job and dealt with a really tricky winger in Asoro and also wasn’t afraid to get forward today which was great to see.

Watkins: 6- Wasn’t actually too bad for me. Tracked back and helped out Hunt with McKay and Olsson. Came off injured in the second half and again hope it’s nothing serious.

Brownhill: 7- Very good performance again. Came a bit deeper today and it was a risk dropping Smith and playing Brownhill and Pack as the midfield two but it looks like the correct decision.

Pack: 8- Another brilliant performance. Lead the team by example and dealt with Celina very well. Improved so much now that he is one of our key players imo.

Eliasson: 7- Another assist and another brilliant performance. Beat the right back every time and his crosses were spot on as always. We have a great player on our hands here.

Taylor: 7- Another great game. Always chasing those long balls and unlucky not to get a goal in the second half.

Weimann: 9- Man of the match for me. Another goal and now joint top scorer in the league. Never stops running and shows no signs of slowing down his great start to the season.

Subs

O’Dowda: 7- Looked a constant threat when he came on. We also looked a lot threatening going forward when he came on. Definitely deserves to start the next game.

Paterson: n/a- Looked good when he was on board but still not on long enough to mark.

Pisano: n/a- Made some brilliant tackles on Montero but wasn’t on for long enough.

15 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Referee 3. I know we won so won’t be mentioned but thought he was woeful. So many decsions wrong

That's a bit generous for me.

Gavin Ward had an absolute shocker, he could of cost us points today with some terrible refereeing.

On 25/08/2018 at 20:10, Flint says No said:

Brownhill: 7- Very good performance again. Came a bit deeper today and it was a risk dropping Smith and playing Brownhill and Pack as the midfield two but it looks like the correct decision.

He didn’t have a choice, Smith is out for 6 months.

Archived