IGNORED

Startling result

southvillekiddy

Good lord - we've worked out how to defend - Brilliant result City. Well done for stengthening the defence. A revolutionary new move by our Club.

How often have we hung on to a 1 nil away from home for 45 mins let alone 89 minutes in living memory?

Last I can remember was Tranmere Away flipping years ago - Lita.

Just now, southvillekiddy said:

Good lord - we've worked out how to defend - Brilliant result City. Well done for stengthening the defence. A revolutionary new move by our Club.

How often have we hung on to a 1 nil away from home for 45 mins let alone 89 minutes in living memory?

And against a team that were in the Prem last year .

1 minute ago, southvillekiddy said:

Was just thinking this. I know the 07-08 season saw a lot of 1-0 but that was mainly at home. What was pleasing, apart from the cutback where Maenpa produced a wonderful save, we limited there chances to long range efforts. Didn’t have any clear cut chances from what I could recall

4 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Let’s be honest we didn’t hang on for a point apart from maybe 10 minutes in second half and this was because LJ set out our team to win,the big dissatisfaction against Middlesbrough was that he set out to stop them rather then play to our strengths 

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Let’s be honest we didn’t hang on for a point apart from maybe 10 minutes in second half and this was because LJ set out our team to win,the big dissatisfaction against Middlesbrough was that he set out to stop them rather then play to our strengths 

Agreed. If you concentrate on the opposition's game rather than your own it's very difficult to win.

10 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

With a "bigger budget" than us. 

It will be but they are being sensible financially, have raised a good deal of money from selling players and are putting their faith in a young coach. Seems familiar.

Commendable imo and I hope it works out for them.

8 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Was just thinking this. I know the 07-08 season saw a lot of 1-0 but that was mainly at home. What was pleasing, apart from the cutback where Maenpa produced a wonderful save, we limited there chances to long range efforts. Didn’t have any clear cut chances from what I could recall

2003 -4

Finished 3rd and missed out to Brighton

P 46  W 23  D 13  L 10 (only 2 lost at home) F 58  A 37     82 pts

which works out at a measely average of 1.26 goals per game.

24 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Did it last time we played at the Liberty didn't we? Early Stead goal from memory. I was there

28 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Scored early away to Middlesbrough a few years ago, not first minute but I think it was pretty early on. Joe Bryan iirc.

9 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Scored early away to Middlesbrough a few years ago, not first minute but I think it was pretty early on. Joe Bryan iirc.

Did we win that one mate. If I'm not at the game I always check online 15 mins after K.O. . We are frequently 1 nil up at that time but then fade defensively and end up with a draw or loss. I hope today's result, following the magnificent win on tuesday signals that at last we know how to hang onto a slender lead (maybe Kalas' arrival was crucial in this today)

2 minutes ago, robintherobin said:

Before today we had only a single one-nil win from our previous 51 matches. (Home to Ipswich last season.) It shows how football's a much easier game if you're not giving the opposition a 2-0 lead every time...

Brighton away being the one before that?

19 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It is a good result for sure but Swansea did not look very good. Credit to us for sure. Just did not realise I was the only one that thought we could get a result today. Thought since Tuesday we could come here and take a point at least

They didn't look very good because we played so well. Lee got the tactics spot on like at QPR and the players executed it perfectly. Only downside is we didn't win 3-0 which we deserved. City were never 'hanging on'.

2 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

They didn't look very good because we played so well. Lee got the tactics spot on like at QPR and the players executed it perfectly. Only downside is we didn't win 3-0 which we deserved. City were never 'hanging on'.

Don’t disagree but just didn’t find it startling is all. The performance was magnificent

6 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Did we win that one mate. If I'm not at the game I always check online 15 mins after K.O. . We are frequently 1 nil up at that time but then fade defensively and end up with a draw or loss. I hope today's result, following the magnificent win on tuesday signals that at last we know how to hang onto a slender lead (maybe Kalas' arrival was crucial in this today)

Yes, we won 1-0. It was our first win of the first season back in the Championship under Cotts. Seems like such a long time ago now :laughcont:

27 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It is a good result for sure but Swansea did not look very good. Credit to us for sure. Just did not realise I was the only one that thought we could get a result today. Thought since Tuesday we could come here and take a point at least

They looked very good against Leeds and were unlucky not to win.

Johnson>Bielsa. ?

33 minutes ago, robintherobin said:

Before today we had only a single one-nil win from our previous 51 matches. (Home to Ipswich last season.) It shows how football's a much easier game if you're not giving the opposition a 2-0 lead every time...

Plenty of 1-0’s got Cardiff promotion last year

29 minutes ago, harrys said:

Plenty of 1-0’s got Cardiff promotion last year

I was listening to Warnock on a chat show towards the end of last season.

Actually was an enjoyable listen. He said the main target he set his team at the start of the season was ‘keep 17 clean sheets’, and if they did that they would go up. 

Seemed a bit random, and maybe summed up how he approached last season, but they did and they did.

Archived