IGNORED

The Power of Purple

where's the joy

Thought we looked great in our purple at QPR on tv and seeing it for myself it’s a nice kit. The QPR commentator on the dodgy feed I had described it at ‘ garish purple and green’ and I guess to most it is, but it’s our purple and lime and I don’t care if it sneared at by others. We believe in it, and if the players do to and gain a psylogical edge then let’s embrace it. :bounce:

Off the top of my head we lost last season at Bolton, Preston, Villa, Millwall, Cardiff and Birmingham playing in Red - 6 of our 7 away defeats! We won at Sunderland, Sheffield United, Fulham in Purple & Lime - 3 of our 6 away wins. Only at Boro did we lose playing in Purple. I'd say it has a very good record.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I'm wondering are we allowed to use purple kit whenever we like. Even at home games? Ok it seems a bit ridiculous to suggest we are better in one kit over another, but then look at that record. 

Well, if you’re Bristol rovers you can wear your home kit, then give your away kit to the opposition, to send you down in. Works for them. 

330px-The_Purple_People_Eaters.png

The Purple People Eaters in January 1970 at Metropolitan Stadium.

Purple People Eaters were the defensive line of the Minnesota Vikings from the late 1960s to the late 1970s. The term is a reference to a popular song from 1958, the efficiency of the defense, and the color of their uniforms. The motto of the Purple People Eaters was "Meet at the quarterback."[1]

One of the original members of the defensive line, Gary Larsen, was replaced in the mid-1970s by Doug Sutherland.[6]

Marshall said that the players disliked "Purple People Eaters" and called themselves "The Purple Gang", but "we've got to ride with it because it's our handle".[7] The group was a major factor in the post-season success of the Vikings from the late 1960s through the 1970s.[8] The Purple People Eaters were one of the most identifiable front fours in National Football League history

37 minutes ago, ashtonphil mk2 said:

Been wondering about the kit situation... 

Could we have worn red yesterday?

When we will ever wear the white away kit...?

I believe the problem with wearing the red kit yesterday was that we would have needed to have worn red or black shorts as Swansea wear white shorts. The only alternative shorts we have are black from the white away kit but they have the robin badge on so don’t match the badge on the red shirt. Think someone asked scotty why we didn’t wear black shorts for a previous game and his reply was because the badges are different. 

2 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

I believe the problem with wearing the red kit yesterday was that we would have needed to have worn red or black shorts as Swansea wear white shorts. The only alternative shorts we have are black from the white away kit but they have the robin badge on so don’t match the badge on the red shirt. Think someone asked scotty why we didn’t wear black shorts for a previous game and his reply was because the badges are different. 

Thanks for that..

Not thought about it that way at all.

But the same situation is going happen a few more times this season then..Leeds, Preston, to name but two

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

Didn't SC decide to play away games  in purple and lime, after hating it when he first saw it, after we beat Sheffield U in the double season? 

Not that he was superstitious. .....

We havent won vs SU away since 1957. Purple and lime vs SU away that season we won leauge one. We won the game 2-1, it was the first game that season. We won there also last season, Purple lime.

I like the purple and lime as it is unique (I think) to us and as we keep using it for multiple seasons it becomes more recognisable to others as being Bristol City. This has to be good for "brand identity"!!

When we came out at QPR wearing it I was pleased despite also thinking that I was being irrational believing that it would improve our chances.

With regards the England red shirt belief I posted the following link during the World Cup that indicates England wearing white is marginally better.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44779558

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Off the top of my head we lost last season at Bolton, Preston, Villa, Millwall, Cardiff and Birmingham playing in Red - 6 of our 7 away defeats! We won at Sunderland, Sheffield United, Fulham in Purple & Lime - 3 of our 6 away wins. Only at Boro did we lose playing in Purple. I'd say it has a very good record.

In the immortal words of Prince (nearly), if we want to win away then let the Purple Reign, Purple Reign.

1 hour ago, ashtonphil mk2 said:

Thanks for that..

Not thought about it that way at all.

But the same situation is going happen a few more times this season then..Leeds, Preston, to name but two

Which is good because if purple and lime is a lucky charm then we might actually win at those grounds for a change. 

I was thinking about the kits. Why did we announce the white and black as the away strip?

It seems to me that we'll be wearing the purple and green more often so would have made sense for that to be the away kit and white and black to be the third.

In my opinion it seems the white and black with the robin on was just for the fans.

We will be wearing purple and lime a lot this season, almost certainly more times than the white and black away kit. Because of league rules about badges we can’t wear the black shorts with anything other than the white shirts, so any opposition team we play with white shorts will almost certainly see us play in purple and lime. WBA away could be interesting though. Red shirts with lime shorts anyone. 

My Preston friend says that having a white as a main colour of kit is quite boring as far as what you can do with it, pretty much the same ( except the sponsor) season after season. Many fans like to buy the away kit as at least the colours change and many are more flattering than plain white, not sure about her opinion on this one though.

I did notice a lot of Swansea fans yesterday wearing away kit and training shirts. From what I could tell last years away was quite a nice blended blue, this seasons is orange and lots wearing blended grey or burgundy third shirts or training kits. The white shirt was much less popular.

Infact Swansea had a really nice range of clothing in their shop, wish our designer (JL) would take a look and adapt it for us. 

9 hours ago, RedM said:

My Preston friend says that having a white as a main colour of kit is quite boring as far as what you can do with it, pretty much the same ( except the sponsor) season after season. Many fans like to buy the away kit as at least the colours change and many are more flattering than plain white, not sure about her opinion on this one though.

I did notice a lot of Swansea fans yesterday wearing away kit and training shirts. From what I could tell last years away was quite a nice blended blue, this seasons is orange and lots wearing blended grey or burgundy third shirts or training kits. The white shirt was much less popular.

Infact Swansea had a really nice range of clothing in their shop, wish our designer (JL) would take a look and adapt it for us. 

Most British sports attire looks awful imo. It’s something that America gets spot on, lots of the nfl clothing and most of their other sports clothing looks absolutely class as casual wear, and they sell a shed load of it.

i own a few nba and nfl Tshirts, but can’t remember the last time I bought anything city branded as it all looks quite tragic.

Because I have naff all to do this afternoon but listen to Somerset lose on the radio I’ve been checking.

I don’t think combining the shorts is to do with badge. There is nothing in the regs about the club crest really.

You are not however permitted to change the combination of colours in your kit, so we couldn’t have worn the black shirts with the red top.

Interestingly (sort of) you are permitted to wear your away or alternative kit for one home game per season.

So....purple and lime for one home game is on.....!!!

Archived