IGNORED

Fastest City goal ever?

myol'man

2 hours ago, Offside said:

Yes pretty sure that was the game and result. 1997-1998 promotion season.

Definitely right. Grimsby were also in contention for promotion at the time and had a very good defence. Just as the kick off was happening my mate said to me that he thought that it would be a tight game and 0-0 wouldn't surprise him. 14 seconds later.....

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Pretty sure I remember Marco Gabiadini (sp?) scoring for Sunderland at Ashton Gate on a Tuesday night after 12 seconds... in a game that ended 1-0.

Not even sure there was a memorable throw in after that one bit of action.

Was that one Gabbiadini? I remember the game being 1-0 but seem to recall the scorer being the surname Howser. Coz I remembered that Doogie Howser MD was popular on the telebox at the time. 

Pretty sure Gabbiadini got a hat-trick against us another time, but definitely seem to recall a Howser as the scorer of the 12 second goal? 

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Scotty Murray scored against Millwall a few years back and I’ve got a feeling it was 16 seconds in. 

(It was 15 seconds apparently, can’t see that being beaten!) 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/6164209.stm

And from what I recall, the match ended 1-0 as today.

Funnily, I was thinking of this when we scored so early. It's not really that rare that an early goal goes on to be the ONLY goal in a game.

Well played, lads today. Quality

4 minutes ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

We scored after about 20 seconds in a cup replay against the swans in the mid 90s....thinking maybe kevin nugent. Only goal of game as well

Just looked it up. November 1996 Agostino

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

Was that one Gabbiadini? I remember the game being 1-0 but seem to recall the scorer being the surname Howser. Coz I remembered that Doogie Howser MD was popular on the telebox at the time. 

Pretty sure Gabbiadini got a hat-trick against us another time, but definitely seem to recall a Howser as the scorer of the 12 second goal? 

Him and Ian Muir (Tranmere) were regular scorers against us back then, before whats-his-chops from Walsall picked up the mantle.

Might well have been a case that he got a hat trick as well.

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

I remember him tearing us a new one, absolute masterclass. Maybe 0-5?

41 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

That's the one.

It was always going to be Big John. 

Not a difficult question to answer for those of us privileged to have seen City's best ever player. Wedlock was great, but my grandfather who watched both was convinced it was Atyeo as number one.  Doubt we shall ever see his like again however high we rise.

41 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

David something-or-another...

It'll come back to me.

David Kelly. Seemed to score against us every time we played against a team he was playing for.

It wasn't the quickest but I remember City scoring against Port Vale before 15:00 in the early nineties at AG when the match had kicked a couple of minutes early.

58 minutes ago, Harry said:

I thought it was Eric Gates who scored, but as I didn’t see it, I’ve no idea!!!

15 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

David Kelly. Seemed to score against us every time we played against a team he was playing for.

It wasn't the quickest but I remember City scoring against Port Vale before 15:00 in the early nineties at AG when the match had kicked a couple of minutes early.

Thanks. I didn't want to Google the name, but if we played against a front 3 of Muir, Kelly and Gabiadini every week we'd ship a billion* goals a game.

*adjusted for inflation.

Shaun Goater vs Grimsby under John Ward. 

We kicked off, gave it to the goat - and he just went straight to their box and scored. I don’t think it’s possible to score any quicker - unless you shoot from the centre - like Beckham did vs Wimbledon (I think)

we ended winning 4-1 I think - we all cheered when Grimsby’s goal was scored!!!

Pretty sure one or those Russell Osman era early nineties last day of the season 4-1 wins had a goal from the first kick into their half. Either Brentford or Peterboro. Want to say it was Junior Bent after 14 seconds but it's been a long day.

Even I'm not old enough to dispute the Atyeo claim, (although old enough to have seen him and dribble in my own lap.) but the earliest I've witnessed is Colin Cramb after 12 seconds.

Loved his attitude and work rate that day. We were 2 - 0 up soon after, and he went for a huge sliding tackle to win the ball in their half on 19 minutes. It was the sort of effort normally reserved for the last minute winner/equaliser.

Well, you can't keep the punters happy if you're only 2-0 up after 20 minutes can you?

Cramby's goal v Grimsby is officially listed as 17 seconds,  so what with that, and other claimants listed here, it's fair to say Weimann hasn't set a record.

Still f-ing fast though!

It was nice to read Colin C share his memories of that goal on FB. He wasn't the most technically brilliant player, but I had a lot of time for Cramby. 

7 hours ago, pillred said:

can't be many teams that have won a game 1 nil after scoring so early though can there?

You're not going to believe this, but the gas were home to Orient in a League game, late 60s / early 70s and won 1-0 with a goal scored after just 30 seconds. 

Archived