IGNORED

Fastest City goal ever?

myol'man

10 hours ago, fatman said:

John atyeo. 7 seconds v bury 1959.

16th March 1957 was the game.  Reporters timed it at SIX seconds, but the Ref said Nine. The League record had been seven. A few years later Jim Fryatt (playing for Oldham?) scored after four seconds, confirmed by the Ref

In a pre season friendly, Wolves were about to kick off and noticed the oppo goalie was off his line. So one player knocked the ball forward and Derek Dougan lobbed the goalie. The time was two seconds, but being a frienly, that didn't go in the record books.

41 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

As the game was in March I will trump it with 1958 in 10 secs at the Gate V Rotherham as it was first game of the season. Can't recall who scored though, anyone help?

23 Aug 58 City 6-Rotherham 1, but the first goal was Atyeo in the 27th minute. 16 Sept 58, Watkins scored after 30 seconds v Huddersfield (2-1). 13 Dec 58, away to Lincoln and City won  2-0 with goals in the third and fourth minutes. City defended a 2-0 lead for 86 minutes.

27 Dec 58 City lost 1-0 at Cardiff when Burden scored an OG in the 4th minute. 4th May 1959; Glos Cup at Eastville Rovers scored in the fist minute but the game ended 1-1.

City's first 5 games in 58-59 had these results; 6-1, 7-4, 0-4, 3-1, 3-0.

16 minutes ago, 22A said:

23 Aug 58 City 6-Rotherham 1, but the first goal was Atyeo in the 27th minute. 16 Sept 58, Watkins scored after 30 seconds v Huddersfield (2-1). 13 Dec 58, away to Lincoln and City won  2-0 with goals in the third and fourth minutes. City defended a 2-0 lead for 86 minutes.

27 Dec 58 City lost 1-0 at Cardiff when Burden scored an OG in the 4th minute. 4th May 1959; Glos Cup at Eastville Rovers scored in the fist minute but the game ended 1-1.

City's first 5 games in 58-59 had these results; 6-1, 7-4, 0-4, 3-1, 3-0.

Hi 22A, where do you get your info. Is it my age as I still distinctly remember viewing from Crackers Corner as Ironside the Rotherham keeper kicked the kick about ball back to the trainer's box then made a despairing attempt to stop a goal in 10 seconds and we did go on to win 6-1 and agree with all the other stats you have provided. Please put me out of my mystery and tell me where I can look it up. Was it Bert Tindill who scored,?

Cheers

From volume 3 of David Wood's history of City. Page 154 for that game v Rotherham 25,253 spectators paying a total of £2,651.00. The goals were Atyeo 27, Hinshelwood 65 + 73, then a Tindill hat trick 76, 78 + 82. Jones had equalised for Rotherham just a minute after Atyeo's opener. Ironside, the Rotherham keeper saved a Watkins' penalty in the 12th minute.

I can just imaging the half time talk on the terraces; "Typical City; we miss a penalty, Big John scores and then we immediately let them in".

Somethings never change.

On 25/08/2018 at 14:49, Offside said:

I'd forgotten about that one! They were still 1-0 up at half time and I feared it would be another one of their spawny wins.

I loved the goal that night (our third I think) when Aaron Brown bombed down to wing and crossed for Thorpe to head it in.

Yes, that early goal for them was a blip - it was one-way traffic for the rest of the game. 

3-2 flattered them.

Archived