IGNORED

Michael Owen

Davefevs

Cheers for signposting this. Really interesting and insightful. 

Makes you think about certain city players and what issues may have contributed to how they performed based on what may have reasonably been expected. Starters for 10:

D James

N Hunt

G Engvall

Diony

Wrong place at the wrong time or something more than that? 

19 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Good interview but nothing we already didn’t know,the last game at Newcastle when he refused to play because if he done his groin  he wouldn’t get another hefty juicy contract at another club about sums him up

One of the greatest strikers this country has ever produced, I wouldn’t dismiss him like that and say that ‘sums him up’ .....

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

One of the greatest strikers this country has ever produced and you dismiss him like that? Presumably with no evidence that what you say is true? Pretty shameful...

Paul Ferris the Newcastle physio at the time seems a pretty good piece of evidence mate so not shameful at all and in all honesty don’t you find Owen admitting he didn’t even try to get in certain positions truly shameful 

Idolised Michael Owen as a kid, the only reason why I supported Liverpool as well as City (I don't care if you don't like that). Was a smart footballer and is a smart guy. Can only imagine what you have to go through mentally if you're a footballer whose career is ravaged by injuries.

6 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Good interview but nothing we already didn’t know,the last game at Newcastle when he refused to play because if he done his groin  he wouldn’t get another hefty juicy contract at another club about sums him up

I knew he’d lost his pace but always thought that was down to his age. Very frank and interesting interview that.

8 hours ago, allyolly said:

Cheers for signposting this. Really interesting and insightful. 

Makes you think about certain city players and what issues may have contributed to how they performed based on what may have reasonably been expected. 

N Hunt

I honestly think, based on my own experience, that Hunt was suffering from anxiety/depression. felt sorry for the bloke.still do.he truly didn't want to be on that pitch.

7 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Paul Ferris the Newcastle physio at the time seems a pretty good piece of evidence mate so not shameful at all and in all honesty don’t you find Owen admitting he didn’t even try to get in certain positions truly shameful 

Not at all.  He explained that he just made different runs instead.  He still had decent scoring records at Newcastle and Man Utd through adapting his game.

Your appreciation of a professional footballer, and one of the quality of MO is pretty cynical and lacks any sympathy.

25 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

I honestly think, based on my own experience, that Hunt was suffering from anxiety/depression. felt sorry for the bloke.still do.he truly didn't want to be on that pitch.

I was told by a mate who had a conversation with a former VERY high ranking club employee that Hunt's legs had gone and was no longer able to compete. He was also the one the one to whom Colin Sextone was alluding when he said the club had not done proper homework. That's not to say Hunt didn't have mental health issues as well.

9 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Offering to hand in his notice at Stoke half way through cause he knew he couldn’t do it sums him up more I would say.  A great player when he came on the scene, and injuries impacted his game too much sadly

Archived