IGNORED

I've never been more relaxed.....

CHAZ MICHAELS

watching City as I was yesterday.

Apart from a few minutes towards the end of the game we totally controlled that game and it never felt like we were 'hanging on' at all.

We looked confident and organised, defensively strong, and comfortable, composed and skillful in possession, it really was a very, very good performance and a joy to watch.

I want every game to be like this.

Another City fan living in dreamland. 

You conveniently forget the inconsistent performances a week or two ago. Like going two down to a dismal Bolton. And three points donated to a good Boro side without them having to work for them.

I'm enjoying two wins this week but at the moment I'm not sure which City team will turn up against Blackburn.

15 minutes ago, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

Apart from a few minutes towards the end of the game we totally controlled that game and it never felt like we were 'hanging on' at all.

We looked confident and organised, defensively strong, and comfortable, composed and skillful in possession, it really was a very, very good performance and a joy to watch.

I understand what you're saying but at one nil you are never ' comfortable ' even at two nil the game is  not dead for the opposition, a bit of luck , a homer ref ( like yesterday's) and you're on the back foot.

We bossed it for the most part yesterday but Maenpaa also made some good saves and reassuring  catches in the box .

37 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

You conveniently forget the inconsistent performances a week or two ago. Like going two down to a dismal Bolton. And three points donated to a good Boro side without them having to work for them.

I'm enjoying two wins this week but at the moment I'm not sure which City team will turn up against Blackburn.

Disagree. Bolton performance was good, with the exception of the 10 mins that they scored their only shots.

Boro second half was good, probably deserved a goal at least.

So I don’t see it as inconsistent, I see it as progression over 5 games. Some came later into preseason so bit more time required to gel perhaps.

But I guess we’ll see over these next 5 games. Avoid more than 1 loss and it’s all good.

45 minutes ago, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

'Relaxed' is not a state of mind I associate with watching City until we are 4-0 up! 

Great performance yesterday though.

40 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Confused as to how someone giving their opinion on yesterday’s game in isolation constitutes them living in ‘dreamland’ ? 

Your main point is about other games - something the OP didn’t reference at all! 

42 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I think there is some value to this. We’re not consistently good enough to go into any game thinking we’re going to win and if the wrong side turn up we could lose against anyone.

But opinions on OTIB can only be at polar opposite ends of the spectrum. At the moment the general mood seems to fall into the ‘by far the greatest team the world has ever seen’ category owing to two wins on the bounce (and Lloyd Kelly being as good as Maldini - which he definitely is). 

I’m not overly convinced by Johnson and nothing will change my opinion that he should have already been sacked a couple of times, but I do want him to do well. And results like yesterday can only help. 

I think we all should learn to be a little bit more middle ground. 

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think there is some value to this. We’re not consistently good enough to go into any game thinking we’re going to win and if the wrong side turn up we could lose against anyone.

But opinions on OTIB can only be at polar opposite ends of the spectrum. At the moment the general mood seems to fall into the ‘by far the greatest team the world has ever seen’ category owing to two wins on the bounce (and Lloyd Kelly being as good as Maldini - which he definitely is). 

I’m not overly convinced by Johnson and nothing will change my opinion that he should have already been sacked a couple of times, but I do want him to do well. And results like yesterday can only help. 

Johnson has a tough job. Not only does he have to develop young players by recruiting and then as there are no competitive matches within the academy system has to send them out on loan to gain essential experience of men’s football. 

Obviously he has an extensive team of scouts and academy coaches to do the bulk of the work but ultimately it’s his responsibility.

Add to that the huge job of building a squad, making a profit where possible ( Flint, Bryan,Reid ) and selecting a team that he feels  can compete against whoever the opposition are, and all with a serious number of injured players being unavailable.

This is where he often gets criticised, usually from fans who think they’d do a better job...............:cool2:

Plus, he has certain financial restrictions overseen by MA largely because SL is extremely reluctant to fund the vast salaries some of these players demand - hence no marquee signings. If there were then the situation of one/two players being on more than the others can create disharmony within the squad - the last thing you want.......

My attitude towards LJ is to withhold hostile criticism and leave the guy to get on with his job.

50 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Firstly, agree with what you say Fordy about a lot of OTIB being views at extreme ends of the spectrum, and I think the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle! (Except, as you rightly say, when it comes to Lloyd Kelly!)

But interested in what you mean by your take on LJ. Do you mean that there have been a couple of points in his time here when you've felt he should have been sacked, and that's just a fact (that you thought that) which nothing can change? I understand that. I've never felt that myself, but understand why it's a view many have had.

Or do you mean that whatever happens next you'll still think that not sacking him was the wrong decision. Let's just say that we win promotion with him sometime in the next 2-3 years. Will you still believe that he should have been sacked? Won't your opinion change, to recognise that there was something in the longer term view and the long term plan that SL had when he decided to stick with him? 

Lots of people's opinion was that Harry Dolman should have sacked Alan Dicks at several,points during the first few years of his tenure. Most of them changed that opinion by 1976. 

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Johnson has a tough job. Not only does he have to develop young players by recruiting and then as there are no competitive matches within the academy system has to send them out on loan to gain essential experience of men’s football. 

Obviously he has an extensive team of scouts and academy coaches to do the bulk of the work but ultimately it’s his responsibility.

Add to that the huge job of building a squad, making a profit where possible ( Flint, Bryan,Reid ) and selecting a team that he feels  can compete against whoever the opposition are, and all with a serious number of injured players being unavailable.

This is where he often gets criticised, usually from fans who think they’d do a better job...............:cool2:

Plus, he has certain financial restrictions overseen by MA largely because SL is extremely reluctant to fund the vast salaries some of these players demand - hence no marquee signings. If there were then the situation of one/two players being on more than the others can create disharmony within the squad - the last thing you want.......

My attitude towards LJ is to withhold hostile criticism and leave the guy to get on with his job.

Wise words indeed ... but does LJ really have a tough job?

He knows he has job security and the chance to coach / run the football club how he pleases with minimal interference and plenty of support from above.

I would say, in respect to all the clubs he could manage in the football leagues, he has a relatively straight-forward job with City.  He isn't under pressure for promotion, just to oversee steady progression and growth as a Championship team.

24 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

He knows he has job security and the chance to coach / run the football club how he pleases with minimal interference and plenty of support from above.

I would say, in respect to all the clubs he could manage in the football leagues, he has a relatively straight-forward job with City.  He isn't under pressure for promotion, just to oversee steady progression and growth as a Championship team.

He has a tough and complex job.

True, he’s not under pressure to gain promotion yet but is under pressure to show signs of progress and that means a higher Championship finish than last season. If that doesn’t happen then SL will start to ask some serious questions.

SL appointed LJ to provide firstly stability and secondly sustainability. The stabilty means not disrupting the and destabilising the club by changing managers and back room staff every time there’s a slump in form and results. Sustainability means making a profit on transfers wherever possible. 

SL would probably be the first the admit that although he enjoys watching football he doesn’t have a rich understanding of it and therefore doesn’t feel qualified to advise MA or LJ on what players to select, sell or buy. He doesn’t interfere.

To reach the PL is the ultimate aim but buying the way there as Bmuff and Wolves have is not the SL way. He wants to get there by having LJ create a squad of home grown players and a combination of players signed by LJ - all  at manageable  salaries.

54 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Head coach at any club is a tough job .

Look how Mourinho is being pressurised, DC at the Gas , Pochettino , not enough signings...

LJ has the advantage of a good owner and a sound financial footing but it's a results game and he must consistently deliver or face the consequences .

Every coach has unique pressures to deal with .

LJ works very hard to keep on top of it all and in my opinion will only give up through exhaustion or if SL thinks he can no longer deliver.

Happy with the result and the way we performed but still holding my breath. Would be a lie to say we haven’t felt this exact way a few times before to all of a sudden go on 5 loses in a row. 

Can be tricky to predict LJ sometimes. Not sure how my fellow previous LJ out folks feel but I’m quite conflicted with expectations now ? 

Maybe our answer all along has been Kalas ?

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

The difference is that we had a quality defender, I know it sticks in your craw, but just sometimes you have to see the bigger picture. We have played teams QPR aside that have form, Blackburn too are unbeaten, are squad is threadbare, but we at times are playing great football, lost 1 in 5, even top teams don't have a right to win every match as yesterday with Man City.

We are Bristol City, we don't do normal. 

10 minutes ago, Atyeo's lift said:

Is the top one a well-known local manager after a session?

What seems uncanny, in the context of yesterday's game, is that I can't stop looking at the swan.  Wherever I move in the room his eyes are following me.

It's like watching City at 3-0 up.  You know it should be relaxing but....

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Firstly, agree with what you say Fordy about a lot of OTIB being views at extreme ends of the spectrum, and I think the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle! (Except, as you rightly say, when it comes to Lloyd Kelly!)

But interested in what you mean by your take on LJ. Do you mean that there have been a couple of points in his time here when you've felt he should have been sacked, and that's just a fact (that you thought that) which nothing can change? I understand that. I've never felt that myself, but understand why it's a view many have had.

Or do you mean that whatever happens next you'll still think that not sacking him was the wrong decision. Let's just say that we win promotion with him sometime in the next 2-3 years. Will you still believe that he should have been sacked? Won't your opinion change, to recognise that there was something in the longer term view and the long term plan that SL had when he decided to stick with him? 

Lots of people's opinion was that Harry Dolman should have sacked Alan Dicks at several,points during the first few years of his tenure. Most of them changed that opinion by 1976. 

It’s a good question mate. And I suppose in a way it very difficult to answer. 

I suppose it would be better rephrased that I’m of the opinion that given where we were at the time of those bad runs, I would have expected any other manager to be sacked. 

35 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

LJ has the advantage of a good owner and a sound financial footing but it's a results game and he must consistently deliver or face the consequences.

LJ works very hard to keep on top of it all and in my opinion will only give up through exhaustion or if SL thinks he can no longer deliver.

Yep, LJ has a sound financial footing but only is as much that SL is a billionaire. LJ doesn’t have access to his mega bucks.

The second paragraph is spot on.

It’s unlikely with LJ being such a young guy that exhaustion will play a part. I’m sure being brought up in football mangers environment he’ll be very conscious of his work/family life balance.

3 hours ago, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

Yes, it was only 1-0 but I think it was rather calm. They had couple of chances but I felt we never had panic. Our defence as our whole team was very good yesterday. Felt their was confidence in the team from start, we had it in 90 minutes. Blackburn next, lets do the same trick again. But, you never know, its football.

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

That’s because we aren’t yet the finished article. Much like 95%+ other teams in the world! 

If we knew which City would show up Vs Blackburn, then we’d be where we wanted to be already!

Man City only drew at Molineux today. Matched our result there last season but unable to score as many as we did. For them, that’s an anomaly. That’s why they are premier league champions. 

For most, inconsistency is the biggest challenge that we face. Crack that and we’ll be the anomaly, rather than joining massed ranks of many others who achieve it. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

He has a tough and complex job.

True, he’s not under pressure to gain promotion yet but is under pressure to show signs of progress and that means a higher Championship finish than last season. If that doesn’t happen then SL will start to ask some serious questions.

SL appointed LJ to provide firstly stability and secondly sustainability. The stabilty means not disrupting the and destabilising the club by changing managers and back room staff every time there’s a slump in form and results. Sustainability means making a profit on transfers wherever possible. 

SL would probably be the first the admit that although he enjoys watching football he doesn’t have a rich understanding of it and therefore doesn’t feel qualified to advise MA or LJ on what players to select, sell or buy. He doesn’t interfere.

To reach the PL is the ultimate aim but buying the way there as Bmuff and Wolves have is not the SL way. He wants to get there by having LJ create a squad of home grown players and a combination of players signed by LJ - all  at manageable  salaries.

very hard when the first sniff of any player showing great promise i.e. Kelly some on here are already saying enjoy him while we can, as he is certain to be on his way in the not to distant future.

7 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Exactly this.

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

That’s because we aren’t yet the finished article. Much like 95%+ other teams in the world! 

If we knew which City would show up Vs Blackburn, then we’d be where we wanted to be already!

Man City only drew at Molineux today. Matched our result there last season but unable to score as many as we did. For them, that’s an anomaly. That’s why they are premier league champions. 

For most, inconsistency is the biggest challenge that we face. Crack that and we’ll be the anomaly, rather than joining massed ranks of many others who achieve it. 

we lost at man city. (misread thought you meant us at man city)

4 hours ago, pillred said:

very hard when the first sniff of any player showing great promise i.e. Kelly some on here are already saying enjoy him while we can, as he is certain to be on his way in the not to distant future.

Absolutely - although in Kelly’s case it’ll be a full season before other clubs can fully evaluate such a young player. It was a couple of Championship seasons before other clubs took an interest in Bryan.

Not so in the BR case, it was his goals that raised his profile as it does with all goal scorers 

6 hours ago, italian dave said:

This is mentioned a lot on here.

But we don't know what would've happened if AD had been fired - we might never have been promoted, but we don't know that. Nobody knows what would then have happened, we might have been better: we might have gone up in 1975, or 1974. We might've gone up in '76 and done a bit better. We could have gone on to be Champions of England.

Imagine that AD was fired in late '74, early '75 and we had nipped in ahead of Nottm Forest and appointed unemployed Brian Clough? We might have gone up anyway and been playing in Europe in 1982, rather than up The Shay. Who can say?

Dicks or someone else, in '75 we still had Gow, Ritchie, Cheesley, Collier, Tainton, Merrick et al. 

(I know: if my aunty had your uncle's cojones. ... it's a rainy afternoon)

Archived