IGNORED

Eliasson s transformation

Robbored

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Didn’t find that particularly interesting. All of it was pretty much a common sense summary.

Just a request though, the Post site is horrible to navigate. Would you be able to post the body of the article rather than send a link?

I found the fact that he felt included when invited to watch the WC at Wright’s home along with the other lads. Shows how important bonding is.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I found the fact that he felt included when invited to watch the WC at Wright’s home along with the other lads. Shows how important bonding is.

Yep true, I like that sort of detail and you’re right. Perhaps I was just frustrated with having to use that awful site with its ads and cookie pop ups.

Meh - gave up personally. So much click-bait taking ages to refresh paragraphs. Woeful site.

Is Adam not on here? - would give for better debate and discussion if article was uploaded here and views given direct to the organ grinder ?

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep true, I like that sort of detail and you’re right. Perhaps I was just frustrated with having to use that awful site with its ads and cookie pop ups.

No, I was hoping for more insight than that. I also didn't think it was particularly well written.

I get the feeling that Adam is probably fairly hamstrung as a journalist and as a free man by whatever NDA he signed on exit.

Lets be honest he probably knows and buried every dirty secret the clubs had in recent times hes been there so long, there must be a lot of stuff hes not allowed to talk about.

It was probably fairly common knowledge about Engvall turning down a L1 loan hence the reason he was able to write it but i'm sure he knows just about everything that went on until he left.

Translation from Click bait/ Ad malware:

They say a year is a long time in football – and Niclas Eliasson is a prime example of that.

Little over 12 months ago the Swedish winger had just netted on his full debut for Bristol City.

The goal came in an impressive 3-2 away win at Premier League club Watford and formed part of the infamous Carabao Cup run of 2017/18.

However, since then the 22-year-old has played pretty much a bit part for the Robins – until receiving a new lease of life this season.

Much like Bobby Reid 12 months earlier, Eliasson’s pre-season form helped earn him the chance to begin the campaign in the starting XI and he hasn’t looked back.

City are awash with wide players. Marley Watkins, Hakeeb Adelakun and Mo Eisa were all recruited in the summer and can play on the wing. The trio, when added to Eliasson, Callum O’Dowda, Jamie Paterson and Josh Brownhill, showcase the vast depth at Lee Johnson’s disposal.

It’s my belief that Eliasson would have been a long way down the pecking order in August – even with Paterson and Eisa primarily being used in attack – had it not been for some superb displays in pre-season. 

It almost made boss Johnson’s mind up for him, although he still deserves credit for being brave and going with Eliasson rather than other more experienced teammates.

So what is behind the dramatic change? How can a player go from making three starts in an entire campaign to surpassing that figure within a month of the new season? The answer is double-pronged.

Eliasson has certainly benefitted from not going out on loan – in complete contrast to the last arrival from Sweden, Gustav Engvall.

Striker Engvall actually turned down an opportunity to go out on loan in League One, instead preferring to return to his home country on three separate occasions. 

It certainly didn’t help him get to grips with English football, ultimately being sold to Belgian side Mechelen in the summer after nine appearances and no goals for the Ashton Gate club.

Callum O’Dowda’s unfortunate injury may have forced Johnson’s hand last season in keeping Eliasson at the club, rather than sending him out on loan. 

However, even if his first-team chances were limited to cameo roles only, Eliasson still got Championship experience under his belt.

It’s not easy making the switch from Swedish football to the English Championship, but he’s made good strides by sticking at it.

When I caught up with him earlier this week, Eliasson said: “I’d heard about the Championship and I knew it was a tough league, but I don’t really think you can imagine how tough it is until you’re here, playing in it. Every game is so tough, but so different tactically.”

Secondly, Eliasson now openly admits he finally feels like he has settled in BS3, both on and off the pitch; the summer being a prime example.

He was invited over to Bailey Wright’s house to watch England’s World Cup quarter-final match with Sweden along with other senior members of the first-team squad.

That may sound like a little thing, but for Eliasson it felt like inclusion.

He may have been the only person to don a Sweden shirt that day, the football and result may have made for an uncomfortable watch, but for his bonding with the group it was invaluable.

It all put the 22-year-old in good stead for pre-season, where he regularly stood out in friendlies.

There was an assist on the opening day 1-1 draw with Nottingham Forest, he hit the post against Bolton Wanderers, then added further assists in the back-to-back away wins at QPR and Swansea City.

All three assists have been for Andreas Weimann, the in-form striker who has netted five times – as many as he managed all season for Derby County last term, albeit from a wide position.

Eliasson offers fantastic versatility; he can operate equally well from the left or right flank and, in my opinion, is the best crosser in the squad.

It’s a well-trodden line from any footballer to say ‘I don’t mind where I play on the pitch, as long as I’m playing’. But when this winger says it, he means it.

Eliasson, twice capped by Sweden Under-21s, reasoned: “It’s obviously easier to take it down the line and cross it with my left foot when I’m on the left-wing, but when I play on the right I can also cut inside more and still cause problems. I can honestly say I don’t mind which side I play.”

It’s early days, of course, but if Eliasson can build on his August form – and add goals to his game – then he and Bristol City could be in for a positive season.

(  Adam Baker)

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

When I saw them at Charlton Farm, I expected Niclas to be mingling more with Hörður and Gustav....but in fact he was with Bobby and Matty and seemed to be pretty happy (he is always smiling though).  Its interesting observing the little dynamics between the squad members away from the pitch.  Matty Taylor seems an infectious character.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When I saw them at Charlton Farm, I expected Niclas to be mingling more with Hörður and Gustav....but in fact he was with Bobby and Matty and seemed to be pretty happy (he is always smiling though).  Its interesting observing the little dynamics between the squad members away from the pitch.  Matty Taylor seems an infectious character.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I've seen a few things on social media and Matty Taylor seems to be a really important figure in the dressing room. Kind of keeps things fun and I think that is important to have in a dressing room.

18 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

The snake’s bite!

Horrid drink ?

Didn't realise Eliasson was already up to three assists as well, alot made of Weimann and 5 goals but that's an impressive amount of assists in the same time.

53 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

He has certainly learned to cross a ball in the close season. H's whipped in a few great ones that we have been on the end of. He can take a decent corner too.

Looking like he could be one of our most improved players along with Lloyd Kelly (who seems to make it look effortless - another sign of a really good player).

It was immediately obvious he could cross last season.  He didn't get any kind of run in the team hence he didn't really show what he was capable of. Getting picked consistently is the reason he's now showing what he can do.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Use the pop-up & add blocker app Foggy, its then a lot easier on the eye ?

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

It was immediately obvious he could cross last season.  He didn't get any kind of run in the team hence he didn't really show what he was capable of. Getting picked consistently is the reason he's now showing what he can do.

I don't believe he was left out of the team last season for any other reason than his all round game wasn't up to it. I think he's said himself that he's improved massively as a player over the the last 12 months. Raw talent + application/coaching + time = what you see now. And what you said - getting picked consistently is going to give any young player a massive boost in confidence. Happy days.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Agree but

4 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I don't believe he was left out of the team last season for any other reason than his all round game wasn't up to it. I think he's said himself that he's improved massively as a player over the the last 12 months. Raw talent + application/coaching + time = what you see now. And what you said - getting picked consistently is going to give any young player a massive boost in confidence. Happy days.

Agree

He looked lost/hesitant  a lot of the time in his cameos last season - not quite sure on his positioning whether to be forwards or back (Understandable coming from Swedish football)

It’s the end product that always catches the eye - But IMHO it’s his workrate / defensive contribution / positioning / shape that’s really improved , and I would guess hence his all round confidence and allowing him to show what he definitely has - quick feet and an ability to cross / provide

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

He has certainly learned to cross a ball in the close season. H's whipped in a few great ones that we have been on the end of. He can take a decent corner too.

Looking like he could be one of our most improved players along with Lloyd Kelly (who seems to make it look effortless - another sign of a really good player).

I beg to differ. 

There is certainly a far more promising player coming through, but if he can get the regularity of the quality of his crosses sorted, he could be a star. 

I lost count of the amount of opportunities he wasted when in great positions at Swansea. Thankfully, his first minute accuracy was sufficient. There was one other wicked delivery from a free kick, which their defender was forced to deal with. Other than that he was very wasteful. 

It's just a plain fact not just on OTIB but with all footie fans- we want to see the finished product asap and  we are quick to criticise an ineffective performance. None of us see the work on the training ground or see the development behind the scenes. The Management team can  yet we can't so that's why we end up with players written off like Reid, Bryan, Pack and especially Flint- the boo boy of SOD's squad.

We've ended up with a largely new team who in the first couple of games looked like a poor shadow of last season but now look like they can at least hold their own and heading in the right direction.

I'm not really expecting us to challenge for anything and there's no doubt that we are yet another work in progress but it's good to see that we've got some impressive ( mainly young) players in and around the team and the ability to play some committed and attractive football.

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I've seen a few things on social media and Matty Taylor seems to be a really important figure in the dressing room. Kind of keeps things fun and I think that is important to have in a dressing room.

Couldn't agree more. I know Matty isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I really like him and sometimes a player can be effective on what they do off the pitch as well as on it. Ok Matty hasn't exactly pulled up trees, but he's had a little run in the team, scored and had some assists. Long may it continue but with Fammy back now I think he'll be coming on from the bench. Also any goals or assists wind the SAGS up big time :laugh:

Archived