IGNORED

Eliasson s transformation

Robbored

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree but

Agree

He looked lost/hesitant  a lot of the time in his cameos last season - not quite sure on his positioning whether to be forwards or back (Understandable coming from Swedish football)

It’s the end product that always catches the eye - But IMHO it’s his workrate / defensive contribution / positioning / shape that’s really improved , and I would guess hence his all round confidence and allowing him to show what he definitely has - quick feet and an ability to cross / provide

This, he was all over the pitch against Swansea and it seems he has had it drilled into him to be defensive too. All round game just seems to keep improving, and obviously every cross won't be on the money and he will make some poor decisions if he stays in the first team - but who doesn't. When was the last time we had a decent crosser of the ball who can whip them like he does.

10 minutes ago, wood_red said:

This, he was all over the pitch against Swansea and it seems he has had it drilled into him to be defensive too. All round game just seems to keep improving, and obviously every cross won't be on the money and he will make some poor decisions if he stays in the first team - but who doesn't. When was the last time we had a decent crosser of the ball who can whip them like he does.

This was certainly something I noticed in the QPR game (wasn`t at Swansea) where his tracking back was very evident.

I think the article just demonstrates that there’s different ways to prepare and develop players. Coming from abroad, it was probably best to keep Niclas in and around Bristol to help him settle rather than loan him to Plymouth or Cheltenham.

We’re now seeing the benefits of integrating him into the squad and taking our time with him. He’ll have low points this season, no doubt, but his tail seems to be up at the moment so let’s keep playing him and see how good he can be.

I'm not sure that the idea that Elliasson would have been way down the pecking order we're it not for his pre season form quite rings true. Johnson repeatedly said last season that Elliasson would take some bedding in and we wouldn't see the best of him straight away. And as it seems apparent that he wanted Brownhill to play on centre mid and has described Paterson as one of his strikers, I'm not sure there have ever been that many ahead of him in the queue. Anyway, long may his great form continue 

5 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It's just a plain fact not just on OTIB but with all footie fans- we want to see the finished product asap and  we are quick to criticise an ineffective performance. None of us see the work on the training ground or see the development behind the scenes. The Management team can  yet we can't so that's why we end up with players written off like Reid, Bryan, Pack and especially Flint- the boo boy of SOD's squad.

We've ended up with a largely new team who in the first couple of games looked like a poor shadow of last season but now look like they can at least hold their own and heading in the right direction.

I'm not really expecting us to challenge for anything and there's no doubt that we are yet another work in progress but it's good to see that we've got some impressive ( mainly young) players in and around the team and the ability to play some committed and attractive football.

It's a long time until the next triumph/disaster, can you not post something lively and contentious and incendiary to get our argumentative juices flowing while we await Sunday?

We all did know in Sweden that Eliasson is a good player. At the time he went to City he had most assists in the swedish leauge. Think LJ and the staff coached him right last season. See and learn games from the bench. The tempo is mutch higher in championship than in Sweden. Now he knows what it all abouts. Think LJ said last season he was very good in training. Glad for him and City that he is playing so well.

1 minute ago, Garland-sweden said:

We all did know in Sweden that Eliasson is a good player. At the time he went to City he had most assists in the swedish leauge. Think LJ and the staff coached him right last season. See and learn games from the bench. The tempo is mutch higher in championship than in Sweden. Now he knows what it all abouts. Think LJ said last season he was very good in training. Glad for him and City that he is playing so well.

Yep, he's a silky player with the potential to get much, much better.

His unexpected emergence as Championship ready is a great boost and it's obvious there's a lot more to come.

• Admin

When watching Gary Neville talk of how it can take up to 12 months for a player to learn the way Spurs play and be effective within that team (talking about Lucas Moura) I couldn't help but think of how that applies to us under LJ too.

Eliasson is one example of that but there are others too that continue to improve and become greater assets the longer they spend around our first team. I'm thinking of the likes of Reid, Bryan, Flint, Pack, Brownhill & O'Dowda....even Diedhiou to a degree who was getting pelters early on last season. Couple that with LJ's comments last season whenever he spoke of Niclas (great on the training field / hes like a sponge and cant listen to us enough) and I agree with @chipdawg that I dont buy the line that he was miles down the pecking order.

We may not challenge right at the top this season but for now I am very much enjoying watching several players develop in front of us and am excited about what some of them could achieve. Hopefully that is with us but if not, get a good fee and get the next lot in the team. I know Wally uses the line "evolution not revolution" but at Ashton Gate that actually seems like something that's happening rather than an excuse for not having any money.

On 27/08/2018 at 10:58, wendyredredrobin said:

He has certainly learned to cross a ball in the close season. H's whipped in a few great ones that we have been on the end of. He can take a decent corner too.

Looking like he could be one of our most improved players along with Lloyd Kelly (who seems to make it look effortless - another sign of a really good player).

He always had that ability I think. As others have said, he's just been introduced to English football carefully. Yet another case of patience paying off - early days still, but he's doing very well.

Still feel he needs to learn a little more how he can manoeuvre himself into space/crossing positions. He's not lightning quick, and can't muscle players off the ball, so perhaps he needs to get better at finding space. Working alongside Kelly for the whole season will probably help.

I don't know whether it's my imagination,but I thought he looked a bit stronger physically after the summer break.  It's probably an area for him to keep working on, but a little more muscle will certainly help.

His decision making is still not fantastic, but that can only come with experience.

Not sure whether I prefer him going down the left or cutting in from the right.  Certainly useful to mix things up and make defences have to think a bit.

2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

He has now found his level and will only get better given confidence.

AIK Solna with Europa League aspiration probably came to early for him and he could not cope with the expectations although given the chance and he was sold for £100,000 less than a year before he was signed by CIty   

Also think that the manager at that time in AIK  not had the same think as Eliasson how to play Football. In IFK Norrköping he was very good season after AIK. Sometimes you have to change Club and manager to sucsed.

I have no problem in Eliasson taking a year or longer to be ready.  I think the problem a lot of us had was that LJ was so gushing about him upon signing, and also that he expected to be ready in a short period of time....once he’d learned the pressing drills, expectations.  That didn’t happen, and the. We got ‘£10m player if it was 7-aside” which didn’t help.

The main thing is he’s starting to show us what he is capable of, and without getting too excited, is a bit of evidence that this recruitment was as bad as we feared.  Let’s hope Taylor Moore comes through too.

Archived