IGNORED

Man U V Spurs

Slippin cider

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

He's also won the champions league 4 times ( I think) and all with different teams. There's no doubt he's been a great manager and in his pomp when the media were fawning all over him.

Now the pressure is on and the press are on his back he is a different character, and whereas in the past his "everyone is against us" attitude enabled him to galvanise his club and players, these days he comes across as a spoilt, petulant child and  no longer seems to have the ability to drag the players along with him. 

I think he’s only won the champions league  twice as a manager - but I agree with the rest of your post...

5 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

Robbored's 2nd team are Bristol City.

Wrong there JK.

Bristol City are and always have been my number one club.

I have several second teams that I like tho. Lincoln City, Exeter City, Liverpool and I did like Arsenal when Wenger was there. I’ve gone off them since he left.

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think he’s only won the champions league  twice as a manager - but I agree with the rest of your post...

My mistake.

15 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well I’m not sure I’m correct, I can only remember him winning the champions league with Porto and Inter - but I could be wrong...

No, you are right.

He is one of only 5 coaches to have won the champions league( previously European Cup) with 2 different clubs.

I take no credit for knowing this, as I had to check it on wiki, which also told me that in 2017 he was named as one of the 10 greatest coaches since EUFA's formation in 1954. In that same year he also became the first manager/coach to have spent more than £1bn on transfers!

Just now, downendcity said:

No, you are right.

He is one of only 5 coaches to have won the champions league( previously European Cup) with 2 different clubs.

I take no credit for knowing this, as I had to check it on wiki, which also told me that in 2017 he was named as one of the 10 greatest coaches since EUFA's formation in 1954. In that same year he also became the first manager/coach to have spent more than £1bn on transfers!

£1bn?! Wow....would love to see how he’d get on as boss of, say, Walsall...

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I have no love for Manchester United whatsoever but the myth about where their fans come from has been put to bed many times over the years...surveys such as those carried out by YouGov, Twitter, the Manchester Evening News and ‘I Love Manchester’ all show that Man Utd have more season ticket holders in Manchester and Greater Manchester than Man City.

They also have more supporters than any other clubs in those areas too - including Stockport, which most people have always assumed was a Man City stronghold. Furthermore, 75% of people who were randomly interviewed in Manchester said they supported Man Utd and 95% of all football shirts sold in Sports Direct’s store in Manchester were Man Utd shirts a couple of years ago, compared to just 5% being Man City shirts. I’ve even seen surveys that suggest Man Utd have more season ticket holders with Manchester postcodes than Liverpool have with Liverpool postcodes and Leeds have with Leeds postcodes. 

Oh, and talking of Leeds, our fans started leaving in their droves from the 67th minute against Leeds at home last season...

It's true they are very well supported here.However i would question your evidence....

Season ticket holders are still more likely to live close as they have more opportunity to go. Manchester united have a bigger stadium than manchester City and liverpool and can therefore offer more season tickets. United fans are also generally from the more affluent areas of greater manchester. Sale, didsbury, worsley etc. 

However you should try being on a flight to dublin after they have played. I have and it's full of irish men in manchester united shirts. Likewise if you have ever been in manchester picc station before a game when the train from euston arrives you will understand why people say they are all cockneys.

As for the 75% interviewed... Did they ask if they were from Manchester? I know plenty that moved here (mostly as students) because of manchester united. Also where was the survey done? If it was done in rusholme/moss side for instance they are both areas with huge immigrant populations. Fallowfield and withington students etc if it was done in the city centre it literally could be shoppers from anywhere in the country!

I also wouldnt read too much into shirt sales. Tourists who come to manchester are likely to buy shirts. First direct offer them at the cheapest price and manchester united don't have a club shop in the city centre. Manchester City do.

Manchester united had 25 years of unrivalled success and kids here are no different to anywhere else. They support the team that wins. I actually know a lad who is from a family of blues but is united fan. I would guess that the majority of people aged 15-35 will be manchester united fans in manchester. I have no evidence to back this up except my personal experience of the people ive met in the last 15 years. Give it 10 years and manchester City continue to win then that will probably swing.

6 minutes ago, One BCFC said:

I dont know about anyone else but the last 5 years the Premier League has been a dream seeing Man Utd's slow demise and fall from grace post SAF. 

It’s competition, he was an enormous factor in them being dominant, now he’s gone any one of 5 could realistically win it, before it was one of two or possibly three but it makes for a more competitive league in my book 

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

It's true they are very well supported here.However i would question your evidence....

Season ticket holders are still more likely to live close as they have more opportunity to go. Manchester united have a bigger stadium than manchester City and liverpool and can therefore offer more season tickets. United fans are also generally from the more affluent areas of greater manchester. Sale, didsbury, worsley etc. 

However you should try being on a flight to dublin after they have played. I have and it's full of irish men in manchester united shirts. Likewise if you have ever been in manchester picc station before a game when the train from euston arrives you will understand why people say they are all cockneys.

As for the 75% interviewed... Did they ask if they were from Manchester? I know plenty that moved here (mostly as students) because of manchester united. Also where was the survey done? If it was done in rusholme/moss side for instance they are both areas with huge immigrant populations. Fallowfield and withington students etc if it was done in the city centre it literally could be shoppers from anywhere in the country!

I also wouldnt read too much into shirt sales. Tourists who come to manchester are likely to buy shirts. First direct offer them at the cheapest price and manchester united don't have a club shop in the city centre. Manchester City do.

Manchester united had 25 years of unrivalled success and kids here are no different to anywhere else. They support the team that wins. I actually know a lad who is from a family of blues but is united fan. I would guess that the majority of people aged 15-35 will be manchester united fans in manchester. I have no evidence to back this up except my personal experience of the people ive met in the last 15 years. Give it 10 years and manchester City continue to win then that will probably swing.

Thanks for the detailed response, interesting stuff. Regarding your guess about age ranges, I do remember an interesting stat as part of the research that 39% of Man Utd fans in Manchester are aged 55+.....cheers again for putting together a local point of view...

2 hours ago, One BCFC said:

I dont know about anyone else but the last 5 years the Premier League has been a dream seeing Man Utd's slow demise and fall from grace post SAF. 

Always great to see the balance of power shift - they’d been winning far too often for too long and even though I must concede they produced some excellent players and teams - I’d argue their 1999 team was far superior to Man City’s 17/18 vintage - it’s never good when one team dominates for two decades.

When I was kid growing up in the 80s I waned anyone except Liverpool to win the First Division because they used to win it virtually every year, now it’ll be at least 29 years so would be quite happy to see them win it - and they’ve got a very good chance this year.

Ditto Spurs, who are easily the least obnoxious of the Big Six and have a nucleus of good English players. They’re not exactly paupers but they’ve broken into the elite without the kind of artificial propulsion that Chelsea and Man City have enjoyed.

Don’t have a vested interest but the past few years the Prem has actually been quite entertaining to watch as a neutral. OK, City won it at a canter last year and have the potential to be utterly dominant but fortunately that hasn’t happened yet; and there were still plenty of surprises - enjoyed Watford cuffing Chelsea, for example. What the top flight has become doesn’t sit well with me but it’s probably more competitive than the other top leagues.

Germany - six consecutive titles for Bayern

France - PSG five titles in six years

Italy -  seven successive titles for Juve

Spain - 13 of the last 14 titles have gone to real or Barca

England - four different champions in the past six years

Archived