IGNORED

The strange places bcfc get their twenty goal a season strikers.

Boston Red

2014/15  - 34 year old free transfer who had scored one league goal in the last three years. 43 games, 21 goals.

2015/16 - Ivory Coast nobody from the French League with a dodgy wrist. 48 games, 20 goals. 

2016/17 - Teenager from Chelsea who had never started a league game or scored a senior goal. 48 games, 26 goals. 

2017/18 - Lightweight out-of-favour youth team midfielder stuck in the reserves. 52 games, 21 goals. 

2018/19 - (?) Right winger from Derby with a poor goalscoring record. Derby fans say he runs around a lot but can't finish. 6 games, 5 goals.

MONEY PAID OUT. 5 million pounds.

MONEY RECEIVED. 21-25 million pounds.

Fantastic business, Bristol City Football Club.  

14 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

2014/15  - 34 year old free transfer who had scored one league goal in the last three years. 43 games, 21 goals.

2015/16 - Ivory Coast nobody from the French League with a dodgy wrist. 48 games, 20 goals. 

2016/17 - Teenager from Chelsea who had never started a league game or scored a senior goal. 48 games, 26 goals. 

2017/18 - Lightweight out-of-favour youth team midfielder stuck in the reserves. 52 games, 21 goals. 

2018/19 - (?) Right winger from Derby with a poor goalscoring record. Derby fans say he runs around a lot but can't finish. 6 games, 5 goals.

Strangely much more satisfying than just going out and buying the likes of Rhodes, Gayle etc. 

I love it.

13 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

2013/14 - ex-West Ham academy and ex-Arsenal academy.

MONEY PAID OUT. 6.5 million pounds.

MONEY RECEIVED. 24-27 million pounds.

8 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

We've also finished higher than the year before in every one of those seasons, which is presumably what it is about. 

But, but, we didn't get promoted, and this was the only year we could ever get promoted because then we'll lose our best players, and apparently no other players exist.

I'm not saying we play/are run perfectly - I agree with many on here that the midfield could still be strengthened. Can't help but feel good to see our replacements for our big names land on their feet so quickly though.

2 minutes ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

2013/14 - ex-West Ham academy and ex-Arsenal academy.

MONEY PAID OUT. 6.5 million pounds.

MONEY RECEIVED. 24-27 million pounds.

And you have to add in Fam's transfer fee even if he has not yet scored 20 goals in a season - he did come in as a striker clearly so that cost has to be included.

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Strangely much more satisfying than just going out and buying the likes of Rhodes, Gayle etc. 

I love it.

So much more satisfying. Because we've found our way to get players scoring high numbers of goals, rather than just buy someone based off them managing big numbers in the same division.

25 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Cracking post from a newbie...............:clap:

Welcome to otib BR.

7 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

And you have to add in Fam's transfer fee even if he has not yet scored 20 goals in a season - he did come in as a striker clearly so that cost has to be included.

Diedhiou got 13 in 32 last season, 0.4 per game. Extrapolate to 50 games and you hit 20 goals.

6 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Famara was out injured much of last season but his goals per game ratio was pretty impressive. Unfortunately he gets an unfair lengthy ban at the start of this one.

Had he not got crocked he’d have bagged as many as BR last season.

52 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Newbie.

and a Happy Clapper.

and quoting facts.

and painting the club in a positive light.

Do you have a death wish BR?

:)

4 hours ago, Boston Red said:

I was thinking the same myself recently. 

The reason being, of course, if we tried to buy a striker who had scored 20 goals in a season of Championship football, we wouldn't be able to afford him.

A key question that goes through my mind, is whether we are just really good at spotting and developing goal scorers, or is it something about how we play that means we are a good team to play for up front (less so for defenders stats). Will be a bit of both most likely, but as the poster points out, it is a remarkable run really. 

5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

A key question that goes through my mind, is whether we are just really good at spotting and developing goal scorers, or is it something about how we play that means we are a good team to play for up front (less so for defenders stats). Will be a bit of both most likely, but as the poster points out, it is a remarkable run really. 

It has to be the way we play. Not even Alan Shearer  would score many without good service.

Tammy bagged plenty whilst at City but struggled at Swansea simply because he very little service.

12 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I reckon it's a combination of both.

The way we play and then spotting and bringing in  players that will thrive in our system and because of the way we play. Even going back before LJ's time, when Wilbraham came here he was roundly condemned as a striker who didn't score goals, yet was the prefect fit in that team and we know how it turned out for him here. This summer, many questioned how we would replace Bobby's goals and were underwhelmed when we signed another striker who doesn't score goals. Yet again with Weimann we seem to have the knack of bringing in a player and are getting the most out of him because of our style of play and the way he fits into the way we play.

3 minutes ago, Angmering Red said:

LJ also made sure Wiemann was aware he wanted him to play through the middle replacing BR rather than stuck out wide as he had been played so many times before at other clubs.  So a good call, so far.

Not entirely accurate. Wiemann said in his opening interview that he wanted to play down the middle. He played there for Villa and scored a few goals fir them.

I’m sure that that was duscussed with LJ when he was signing for us.

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not entirely accurate. Wiemann said in his opening interview that he wanted to play down the middle. He played there for Villa and scored a few goals fir them.

True, must have been discussed and AW given assurances how he would be played, also doubt LJ would have signed  him as a wide player anyway as we have plenty of those. Still a good call so far by LJ and MA  as he wasnt exactly prolific at Villa and he left 3 years ago.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Wrong.

From my own personal position, the manager has said he wants to play me down the middle which is very exciting for me because that’s where I’ve always wanted to play

Not meaningless speculation, a direct quote verbatim from the interview on the Official Site. Given how much you kowtow to the OS I’m surprised in you Alan.

I’d have let it slide but as you were telling @Angmering Red they were wrong for stating “LJ also made sure Wiemann was aware he wanted him to play through the middle”, I thought it only fair to introduce facts. 

14 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Wrong.

From my own personal position, the manager has said he wants to play me down the middle which is very exciting for me because that’s where I’ve always wanted to play

Not meaningless speculation, a direct quote verbatim from the interview on the Official Site. Given how much you kowtow to the OS I’m surprised in you Alan.

I’d have let it slide but as you were telling @Angmering Red they were wrong for stating “LJ also made sure Wiemann was aware he wanted him to play through the middle”, I thought it only fair to introduce facts. 

Since when have facts meant anything on otib..............:laughcont:

That said, read my post to Angmering again Ian.......

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Famara was out injured much of last season but his goals per game ratio was pretty impressive. Unfortunately he gets an unfair lengthy ban at the start of this one.

Had he not got crocked he’d have bagged as many as BR last season.

Ah, but then we would not have had Weinmann proving his critics wrong with five in five!

3 hours ago, Angmering Red said:

LJ also made sure Wiemann was aware he wanted him to play through the middle replacing BR rather than stuck out wide as he had been played so many times before at other clubs.  So a good call, so far.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

3 hours ago, Angmering Red said:

True, must have been discussed and AW given assurances how he would be played, also doubt LJ would have signed  him as a wide player anyway as we have plenty of those. Still a good call so far by LJ and MA  as he wasnt exactly prolific at Villa and he left 3 years ago.

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

Wrong.

And LJ also said to MA “don’t tell Derby we want him to play him as a striker”.

I think that was two-fold:

1. strikers costs more than wide-men typically
  2. would've put Derby off of the scent re Marriott

Archived