IGNORED

Brentford’s new stadium

man in the middle

3 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

Brentford’s new stadium, Lionel Road due to open 2020 only holds 17,250, Whats the point? 

Surely they won’t ever be able to compete  financially in the Championship with a stadium that small? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45333562

It was supposed to be 20,000 but they were forced to reduce the size due to planning issues.

As for competing in the Championship, I would say they are currently thriving in the Championship, and this move will help them become even more sustainable at this level.  I said on here the other day; I wouldn't be surprised if they become the 50th club to play Premier League football - beating us to it. 

I guess they just haven’t got the room for anything bigger, look how hemmed in it is by the flats etc. If they want to stay in the area and keep true to their roots that’s what they have gone for?

That's still around 5000 more than the capacity they currently have, and is also around 6000 more seats than Bournemouth's stadium, and they're doing OK in the Premier League.

It's not all about how many fans you get through the door any more. There's more to it than that.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It was supposed to be 20,000 but they were forced to reduce the size due to planning issues.

As for competing in the Championship, I would say they are currently thriving in the Championship, and this move will help them become even more sustainable at this level.  I said on here the other day; I wouldn't be surprised if they become the 50th club to play Premier League football - beating us to it. 

Not sure the Premier League could cope with 50 clubs. Think of the fixture congestion. Especially around Christmas. Suppose they could not have a winter break. 

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agreed, it’s just as much about facilities as capacity and they’re currently doing brilliantly in an old fashioned 11,000 capacity ground. This new stadium looks just the job for them.

6 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

Brentford’s new stadium, Lionel Road due to open 2020 only holds 17,250, Whats the point? 

Surely they won’t ever be able to compete  financially in the Championship with a stadium that small? 

Bournmouth can sustain prem football on 11.5k, Vicarage Road only hold 21.5k, 

Its a good start for brentford as long as its got room for expansion and is better then what they currently have 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Bournmouth can sustain prem football on 11.5k, Vicarage Road only hold 21.5k, 

Its a good start for brentford as long as its got room for expansion and is better then what they currently have 

Swansea is only around 21,000 too. One of the Stewards told me it was built so they could expand one day but all that is shelved now. And of course it is shared with rugby.

1 hour ago, man in the middle said:

Gawd, did anyone else hear that weird noise earlier? 

Frightened me to death, such a low moaning groan type of thing, creepy and spooky at first....

Then I discovered it was just a bunch of desperately inconsolable Gasheads who'd clicked onto the above link and in an outpouring of grief and jealously an overbearing realisation of just how far Bristol Rovers are behind everyone else in the credible footballing world they let out an unearthly collective howl of desperation from their campsite in the wilderness... 'orrible it were too...  

# Mob Gnarley & The Waellers … :)  

38 minutes ago, Coppello said:

As mentioned by others, football is no longer about how many fans you get through the door which is sad. This article published a couple of weeks ago shows that 11 clubs in the Premier League would've made a profit in 2017 even if nobody attended a single game, 

Agree but you have to get there in the 1st place to reap the rewards. All we hear from BCFC is they need to increase turnover to compete in the championship so I can’t see having a small stadium helping to get to the premiership.

although they Always do consistently better than BCFC up to now.

Would there be a demand for much more than that? I don't know how close to the existing capacity they currently are, but even if they were to reach the Premiership soon, and you take into consideration larger away support, would they want anything bigger?

With all due respect, even if they got to the Premiership this season, because of the number of clubs in and around London, they're not likely to attract many additional "floating fans" to bump the attendances up much higher than the 17k or so they're planning for. It's sensible planning - why live beyond your means? Besides as others have mentioned, Bournemouth seem to be doing ok.

Nobody wants to play in a new 30k+ state of the art stadium that is only half occupied.....

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

That is exactly the kind of project that Rovers should have realistically been aiming for, rather than their * PIE in the Sky proposals over the past 30 years. 

Ironically it's not the PIE's that have been their problem in recent years, they're rather good apparently, it's EVERY F'ING THING ELSE!  :yawn: 

1 hour ago, man in the middle said:

Burnley, Huddersfield, Wigan, Blackpool, Cardiff, Swansea, Fulham and QPR all spring to mind as clubs that have been promoted to the Premier League while having an average attendance under 20k.

17k is enough to allow Brentford to compete for promotion - and you’re assuming they would need more than that anyway, which would probably only be the case once they got there.

3 hours ago, man in the middle said:

Lionel Road?

lionel.png.916125bc5e41a4ff5b1d125da51ce0c9.png

Fortress Lionel?!

2 hours ago, Taz said:

Would there be a demand for much more than that? I don't know how close to the existing capacity they currently are, but even if they were to reach the Premiership soon, and you take into consideration larger away support, would they want anything bigger?

With all due respect, even if they got to the Premiership this season, because of the number of clubs in and around London, they're not likely to attract many additional "floating fans" to bump the attendances up much higher than the 17k or so they're planning for. It's sensible planning - why live beyond your means? Besides as others have mentioned, Bournemouth seem to be doing ok.

Nobody wants to play in a new 30k+ state of the art stadium that is only half occupied.....

MK Dons, Bradford and Coventry all know what that feels like

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That ground would dwarf Bournemouth's as well.Premier league clubs are increasingly non dependent upon attendances provided they stay in there of course !.

4 hours ago, Taz said:

I currently live nearby and the seem to be sold out out every week, but the fans complain about season ticket holders not showing up at every match and wasting their seats. 

But their tickets are dirt cheap as well 

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This....

5 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

That's still around 5000 more than the capacity they currently have, and is also around 6000 more seats than Bournemouth's stadium, and they're doing OK in the Premier League.

It's not all about how many fans you get through the door any more. There's more to it than that.

....and this

Their recruitment model and the success of it means ground size is not as important, but an increase of 50% capacity will help.

Archived