IGNORED

Bristol City fans look for help in legal fight against West Midlands police force

COACH2

Extract from todays Post

A group of Bristol City supporters are appealing to fans of all clubs to join their fight for justice against West Midlands police force.

They are pursuing a case that occurred in September 2015, when they say they were detained before a match against Birmingham City.

The 10 Bristol City fans say there were are 'not on any list of so-called 'risk supporters' and were surrounded and threatened with force including the use of police dogs, publicly accused of being hooligans by an inspector using a megaphone, detained for over 90 minutes, and put back on a train home without being allowed to attend the game they had come to watch'.

The group are taking West Midlands Police to court over the incident and are looking to raise funds to help the legal action.

A press release from the group explained that 'Police across the country have been using draconian powers to threaten and intimidate football fans on their way to watch their favourite teams.'

The group say that they had all travelled to the game independently, didn’t all know each other and had tickets for the match.

Eight out of the ten members were issued with dispersal notices pursuant to Section 35 of the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime & Disorder Act 2014 by West Midlands Police.

All 10 are claiming false imprisonment and a breach of Article 5 of the European Convention of Human Rights.

Particulars of claim, backed by The Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust, were served on 12 January earlier this year on West Midlands Police who have to date denied that they acted unlawfully.

The Chair of the Supporters Club & Trust, Stu Rogers explained that, “Three years on, almost to the day, and we are still seeking justice for innocent fans being unfairly treated and prevented from attending a football match.

"To get the result needed to ensure this doesn’t continue to happen to other football fans up and down the country, we really need your support”

The group have have a Conditional Fee Agreement in place to help with their case, but they say that 'taking a police force to court is expensive and not without risk'.

They are asking fans from other clubs to give a small amount to a fund being set up to help mitigate any financial risk for the claimants.

'Hopefully, we will win, however, we need to safeguard against West Midlands Police claiming their costs in the event we lose or are forced to pull out,' they say.

The group hope to raise a target of £10,000.

If interested you can contribute here . 

In the event the fund is not required, the group have explained that the money will be donated to the Football Supporters Federation (FSF) to be held in reserve for any future case in which the FSF is assisting fans of any club caught up in a similar situation or require legal representation.

The group points out that the action is aimed at helping supporters from being treated in the same way in the future.

I am not involved with this court case, but my son was very fortunate not to be rounded up at the same time, I have no faith in the WMP and feel strongly that all fans should support the group.  

£100 donated

I will gladly donate to this worthy cause. 

In my experience the police are often of low intellect and spend their time pursuing law abiding citizens rather than criminals. It is time they were held to account.

Have been interviewed by the Met Police regarding alleged ‘harassment’ of a former partner her sole reason for making this claim being to deter me from recovering a large debt from her.  They didn’t bother to hear my evidence before deciding I deserved a warning. Taking it all the way through the complaints procedure!

• SC&T Board Members

@COACH2 and @Garland's Perm on behalf of the SC&T, thanks very much!

Police forces around the country need to use their powers lawfully and when they don't do that, it's an expensive business taking them to court. So this is a very worthy cause!

2 minutes ago, Old Rascal said:

Just about to donate, but the link, it took me to a page called Moonclerk?

Never heard of it, can anyone confirm it is a safe site?

It's the payment processing peope we, the SC&T, use. 100% OK.

I wasn’t involved in this so am only speaking generally given my experience of various police forces over the years. But this to me is an example of a police force having a power (to arrest, search, disperse or whatever it may be) then ‘fitting’ the situation into a scenario that would warrant the use of such power. Then wondering why people get upset and antagonised. In effect a gross abuse of power and an exaggeration and / or misrepresentation of what actually happened. 

Once a decision has been made the police as an organisation then go on the defensive and refuse to accept criticism or that they may have misjudged the situation - that’s what really bugs me. 

Anyway best of luck, I’ll be contributing on payday. 

3 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

@COACH2 and @Garland's Perm on behalf of the SC&T, thanks very much!

Police forces around the country need to use their powers lawfully and when they don't do that, it's an expensive business taking them to court. So this is a very worthy cause!

It's the payment processing peope we, the SC&T, use. 100% OK.

Thanks, will donate a few quid.

Save your money and put it to a more worthy cause, maybe to help real victims fight injustice in counties where the police really are unlawful. So your son wasn't actually arrested or even rounded up,, just put it down to one of life's experiences, this culture of suing just about anyone or anything from the NHS to the Police is a severe strain on budgets. Of course if there really was a travesty of justice fair enough, but a couple of lads having to miss a football match, I don't think so. 

8 minutes ago, tommy32 said:

I wasn’t involved in this so am only speaking generally given my experience of various police forces over the years. But this to me is an example of a police force having a power (to arrest, search, disperse or whatever it may be) then ‘fitting’ the situation into a scenario that would warrant the use of such power. Then wondering why people get upset and antagonised. In effect a gross abuse of power and an exaggeration and / or misrepresentation of what actually happened. 

Once a decision has been made the police as an organisation then go on the defensive and refuse to accept criticism or that they may have misjudged the situation - that’s what really bugs me. 

Anyway best of luck, I’ll be contributing on payday. 

The Police do a fantastic job in this country, picking up societies mess, try doing the job for a week and come back here and tell us all how you coped.

5 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Save your money and put it to a more worthy cause, maybe to help real victims fight injustice in counties where the police really are unlawful. So your son wasn't actually arrested or even rounded up,, just put it down to one of life's experiences, this culture of suing just about anyone or anything from the NHS to the Police is a severe strain on budgets. Of course if there really was a travesty of justice fair enough, but a couple of lads having to miss a football match, I don't think so. 

Of course it's a worthy cause you numpty. We supposedly live in something resembling a free society and if my mates want to attend a football match in Birmingham to support their team, but are impeded from doing so for no apparent reason by the police, then that is absolutely a case worth fighting for. 

In fact worse than 'impeded' these innocent men were served with dispersal orders and marched back to the train station and forced to go back to Bristol before kick off! 

It's about so much more than just missing a football match. It's an abuse of power that needs to be nipped in the bud, because they're still at it today.

2 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

The Police do a fantastic job in this country, picking up societies mess, try doing the job for a week and come back here and tell us all how you coped.

They do on the whole I totally agree but in situations like this I feel they let themselves down. I did the job for longer than a week mate and have the upmost respect for anyone brave enough to do it. Doesn’t mean I agree with how football fans are treated by police forces sometimes however. 

7 minutes ago, tommy32 said:

They do on the whole I totally agree but in situations like this I feel they let themselves down. I did the job for longer than a week mate and have the upmost respect for anyone brave enough to do it. Doesn’t mean I agree with how football fans are treated by police forces sometimes however. 

Trouble is you cannot let any potential problems get out of hand in a public place, sometimes it IS heavy handed and unfair, but I would hate the alternative scenario of yobs running the show. I fully accept these guys may have been unfairly treated, but no one was killed or injured.

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Of course it's a worthy cause you numpty. We supposedly live in something resembling a free society and if my mates want to attend a football match in Birmingham to support their team, but are impeded from doing so for no apparent reason by the police, then that is absolutely a case worth fighting for. 

In fact worse than 'impeded' these innocent men were served with dispersal orders and marched back to the train station and forced to go back to Bristol before kick off! 

It's about so much more than just missing a football match. It's an abuse of power that needs to be nipped in the bud, because they're still at it today.

Numpty eh? Well I shouldn't be surprised of that comment coming from you. But you have escalated it to abuse of power... sometimes just sometimes you have to put down the law if you or others get a tough time once in a while tough, our cops ARE still the best in the World, if you can't see that take a look at other countries.

Numpty? **** off. 

9 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Trouble is you cannot let any potential problems get out of hand in a public place, sometimes it IS heavy handed and unfair, but I would hate the alternative scenario of yobs running the show. I fully accept these guys may have been unfairly treated, but no one was killed or injured.

Well that's alright then! Look at something like the phone hacking scandal - no one got killed or injured by hacking the phone, should that have been ignored? What about covering stuff up - no one gets killed by the cover up, should that be ignored? 

Potential is the key word here. As far as I can tell none of the supporters were known hooligans or ‘risk’ supporters or were committing any offences so what potential problem actually existed? You can’t just round up any old footy fan you like, prevent them watching the game and force them out the city without a legal right to do so. I wonder if you’d have the same opinion had you been one of the fans caught up in this. Hopefully the court case will clear this incident up anyway.

Nobody was killed or injured but if what has been reported above is accurate then these supporters should fight for what is right on principle otherwise it sets a dangerous precedent. 

Anyway, appreciate we’re not going to agree on this one. 

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

Well that's alright then! Look at something like the phone hacking scandal - no one got killed or injured by hacking the phone, should that have been ignored? What about covering stuff up - no one gets killed by the cover up, should that be ignored? 

Phone hacking scandal...ahh yes the Lawers's loved all that didn't they representing their millionaire clients.

Must try harder.

2 minutes ago, tommy32 said:

2 minutes ago, tommy32 said:

Potential is the key word here. As far as I can tell none of the supporters were known hooligans or ‘risk’ supporters or were committing any offences so what potential problem actually existed? You can’t just round up any old footy fan you like, prevent them watching the game and force them out the city without a legal right to do so. I wonder if you’d have the same opinion had you been one of the fans caught up in this. Hopefully the court case will clear this incident up anyway.

Nobody was killed or injured but if what has been reported above is accurate then these supporters should fight for what is right on principle otherwise it sets a dangerous precedent. 

Anyway, appreciate we’re not going to agree on this one. 

But the Police do have a legal right to do so, there will be a whole section on it..look it up. Football fans,  have to accept their lot in life, and let's be honest it is well deserved.

But the Police do have a legal right to do so, there will be a whole section on it..look it up. Football fans,  have to accept their lot in life, and let's be honest it is well deserved.

I’m fully aware of the legislation concerning the policing of football fans. Obviously the allegation here is that the police acted unlawfully (look it up) on this particular occasion hence the potential court case. 

I see the ex-copper is sticking up for his mates again. You should try taking a leaf out of Fordys book and at least have a little bit of empathy for the people you (used to) serve.

1bristolcity, you will never realise what it can be like being on the civilian side of police abuse when you have literally not done a single thing to deserve it and knowing that no matter what you say or do to try and rectify it, they will always stick up for themselves and make out you're wrong.

They are meant to serve the public, not create more issues.

Once again, the age-old question of who polices the police rears its ugly head.

• SC&T Board Members
14 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Donated!

Cheers!

The key points here are:

- The fans involved were not a 'bunch of lads'. They were not known to the police. Not 'risk supporters'.

- The charge is that the police abused the powers given to them by the law and acted unlawfully.

- The court will decide whether they did or did not.

- If the case is lost, WMP and other police forces will feel at liberty to act in the same way again.

- Next time it could be you or me.

That's why the SC&T is supporting this case. We have a great relationship with @JulieH and many of her A&S colleagues, but not all of the boys and girls in blue act at all times in a lawful way and those that don't need to be brought to book.

9 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

I see the ex-copper is sticking up for his mates again. You should try taking a leaf out of Fordys book and at least have a little bit of empathy for the people you (used to) serve.

1bristolcity, you will never realise what it can be like being on the civilian side of police abuse when you have literally not done a single thing to deserve it and knowing that no matter what you say or do to try and rectify it, they will always stick up for themselves and make out you're wrong.

They are meant to serve the public, not create more issues.

Once again, the age-old question of who polices the police rears its ugly head.

The situation with regard to controlling football fans is as close as you get to a riot situation, and being mindful that these incidents are very much in the public domain you just have to keep a lid on it. Of course the Police cannot get it right all the time, and there will be innocents that get caught up in it, but to attempt to dilute the powers through this sort of  action would be counter productive to the safety of the public.   

9 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

The situation with regard to controlling football fans is as close as you get to a riot situation, and being mindful that these incidents are very much in the public domain you just have to keep a lid on it. Of course the Police cannot get it right all the time, and there will be innocents that get caught up in it, but to attempt to dilute the powers through this sort of  action would be counter productive to the safety of the public.   

I can totally understand that, but (and it's a big but) surely it's wrong just to tar everyone with the hooligan tag just to make their lives easier? Besides, this was 10 random individuals not a baying mob of pissed up fans.

The most exasperating thing to me is, without knowing a single thing about the situation being discussed,  you have immediately closed ranks and backed your ex workmates. Can you seriously consider that fair? Fair or not, a lot of civilians expect that reaction from your lot.

One thing your lot are implicitly aware of is you have more time, more money and more authority than the average person which means 99% of the time you will get the result you want. Hopefully not this time though as this can affect 100's of thousands of innocent people week after week and these injustices have to stop.

• Admin
1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

Trouble is you cannot let any potential problems get out of hand in a public place, sometimes it IS heavy handed and unfair, but I would hate the alternative scenario of yobs running the show. 

Educating yourself with some FACTS may actually help you to understand 

21 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Cheers!

The key points here are:

- The fans involved were not a 'bunch of lads'. They were not known to the police. Not 'risk supporters'.

- The charge is that the police abused the powers given to them by the law and acted unlawfully.

- The court will decide whether they did or did not.

- If the case is lost, WMP and other police forces will feel at liberty to act in the same way again.

- Next time it could be you or me.

That's why the SC&T is supporting this case. We have a great relationship with @JulieH and many of her A&S colleagues, but not all of the boys and girls in blue act at all times in a lawful way and those that don't need to be brought to book.

If those on matchday duty can't differentiate between "normal" supporters and "high risk" supporters I'd suggest there are bigger problems here 

But I'm sure you'll already know forces like WMP and Yorkshire police have a reputation for a reason 

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Educating yourself with some FACTS may actually help you to understand 

If those on matchday duty can't differentiate between "normal" supporters and "high risk" supporters I'd suggest there are bigger problems here 

But I'm sure you'll already know forces like WMP and Yorkshire police have a reputation for a reason 

Perhaps you might explain the facts then?

wmp.jpg

3 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

The most exasperating thing to me is, without knowing a single thing about the situation being discussed,  you have immediately closed ranks and backed your ex workmates. Can you seriously consider that fair? Fair or not, a lot of civilians expect that reaction from your lot.

Isn't that a typical attitude? 

We all know which group overstep the mark on most occasions, but they always have a funny way of covering it up. 

West mids ob are no doubt shitting themselves over this as they know they don't have a legal foot to stand on

The usual dodgy handshakes won't save your mates this time 

10 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

By name calling you really got off on the wrong foot, anyway I am still on the side of Law and Order, what about you?

Why did you even bother to comment on this thread ?

You could have read the thread and kept your gob shut.

If you set it up with paypal i will donate.

Archived