IGNORED

Before the loan window closes........or slams shut.

Jerseybean

53 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Picture the scene if Pack and Brownhill got injured. 

Fingers crossed we get a CM on loan as cover as I don’t think Walsh is sufficient backup 

Could many championship clubs cope with having their 3 first choice CM’s out injured..?

I don’t think you can bloat the squad, incase something extraordinary happens. 

IF it were to happen, then yes, we would be stuffed, but it’s highly unlikely. We would still have players such as Walsh, Hegeler, possibly COD, possibly Watkins, plus Morrell and other youngsters who could fill in, if worst came to worst. 

And now, the end is near
And so I face the transfer curtain
I'm Lee , so I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've coached a squad that's full
I've haggled this and every which way
But more, much more than this
I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each transfer fee
Each careful loan along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I could have spent more than Steve knew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I stuck with my squad  and toughed it out
I faced it all but can't stand  tall
And did it my way

Too much time on my hands!  :)

2 hours ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

A traditional CM is all we need but ideally one who’s championship proven, not a kid from a big club. Shame we missed out on Reed - someone like him would be ideal to compete with Pack and Brownhill

JM said we were never ' in ' for him and scolded GMc saying ' you guys got to do your job ' .

:disapointed2se:

Apparently ' irons in fire ' ...

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

JM said we were never ' in ' for him and scolded GMc saying ' you guys got to do your job ' .

:disapointed2se:

Apparently ' irons in fire ' ...

I didn’t know this. I feel better knowing that Blackburn didn’t better us. It’s a tough call as Pack and Brownhill are decent as first choice but it’s also a big ask to expect them to play every minute for 6 months until Smith is back. I think we needed someone in as cover but they also need to be prepared not to be starting every week. I guess for the above reason Reed wouldn’t of been suitable and a Player nearing the end of their career would be more appropriate. Kind of pointless discussing it now the windows shut anyway. We’ve got what we’ve got although if there’s an injury I think we’re in trouble.

12 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

I still see us as a striker short, although I rate Taylor and Eisa.

I think we are a target man short,  someone whos able to do the ugly stuff, especially with his back to goal. 

Midfield at the moment is good enough, I think Walsh and Morrel could do a job if needed.

I’m sure there are decent players there but not this year. I think teams would walk through us with one of them starting each week.

I know some previously mentioned Wes Hoolahan as the type of player we might go for.  I do wonder whether we might actually be in for him.  Was at Fleetwood, but didn’t play the other night because he was seeking an opportunity elsewhere.  Good pro, top left foot, played 29 times for NCFC last season.  Past his best, but might be happy to provide cover and be a mentor for players like O’Dowda (vested interest from a ROI perspective).

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know some previously mentioned Wes Hoolahan as the type of player we might go for.  I do wonder whether we might actually be in for him.  Was at Fleetwood, but didn’t play the other night because he was seeking an opportunity elsewhere.  Good pro, top left foot, played 29 times for NCFC last season.  Past his best, but might be happy to provide cover and be a mentor for players like O’Dowda (vested interest from a ROI perspective).

I actually think he would be a shrewd signing.

Experienced clearly so that could help off the pitch, and on it a bit of guile that , on occasion, we lack.

A Wade Elliott type signing and could be very helpful.

11 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I get what you are saying but Walsh is basically a top prem loan midfielder. The point is that why bring one in when chances are they won’t oust Pack or Brownhill? We’d be up against it for sure if Walsh had to play 7-8 games in a row but he has the ability. May be just what he needs to start succeeding. I think he can be that Barry Bannan type that a lot of people want to see. So would be better if he got the chance imo. 

I think Walsh would develop more by going out on loan and playing week in week out than sitting on our bench and playing a few minutes between now and Christmas. I’d rather see him develop into a player we can rely on for the 2nd half of the season or next year.  I can’t see him getting enough game time at this stage with us to help his development.

51 minutes ago, General Zod said:

I think Walsh would develop more by going out on loan and playing week in week out than sitting on our bench and playing a few minutes between now and Christmas. I’d rather see him develop into a player we can rely on for the 2nd half of the season or next year.  I can’t see him getting enough game time at this stage with us to help his development.

Pretty much damned if we do or damned if we don’t. You are right but he is now third choice so he has to stay and why burn a bridge with some prem team for their youngster? What if he isn’t better than Walsh? How much would we need to pay? 

I like Walsh but he does need experience. Reckon he’d be real good even here in a 3 but in a 2 will be tough for him. Idk think he has to stay even if one comes in. Morrell needs the loan more and rather Walsh in an emergency than JM. Perhaps Walsh needs to step up and show more in training. Then take advantage when he gets a chance like against Plymouth. He was good but not so much he gives the manager something to think about. From his background think would be fair to expect a bit more 

11 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Pretty much damned if we do or damned if we don’t. You are right but he is now third choice so he has to stay and why burn a bridge with some prem team for their youngster? What if he isn’t better than Walsh? How much would we need to pay? 

I like Walsh but he does need experience. Reckon he’d be real good even here in a 3 but in a 2 will be tough for him. Idk think he has to stay even if one comes in. Morrell needs the loan more and rather Walsh in an emergency than JM. Perhaps Walsh needs to step up and show more in training. Then take advantage when he gets a chance like against Plymouth. He was good but not so much he gives the manager something to think about. From his background think would be fair to expect a bit more 

I think Walsh is a typical PL academy product that does need some 'real' football experience - would definitely loan him out until January if the right opportunity came along.

As it stands I would be very concerned if he was our only option in CM due to suspension or injury.

4 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think Walsh is a typical PL academy product that does need some 'real' football experience - would definitely loan him out until January if the right opportunity came along.

As it stands I would be very concerned if he was our only option in CM due to suspension or injury.

It’s onteresting with Walsh, because he’s already had his “men’s football loan” back in 15/16 when he had half a season at Yeovil. He’s almost 21 (in Sept), has played against Man City and a few others for us, and to some extent I would be questioning whether he’s gone backwards since arriving if we aren’t considering him to be next in line belong Brownhill, Pack and Smith (new injured).  If I was LW I would be excited by the potential opportunity ahead of me.  Going out on loan could be a lost opportunity at the club that thought highly enough of me to spend £1m 6 month’s ago.

I would be giving him up to January in Smith’s absence to convince me that I don’t need to look at the free transfer market.  At that point, LJ would know the likely return date for Smith, and can make a decision based on that.

Bringing in a CM loan today I would think is more about allowing Morrell to go out on loan, albeit give cover should anything happen to our main two.

It is a squad game, and LJ needs to be conscious not to burn out JB and MP.  That might mean Walsh getting minutes off the bench, the odd start....it might also mean Hegeler (if fit) or O’Dowda providing minutes in CM (maybe as a 3 or a 5) too.

We’ve got a squad, let’s not bloat it unnecessarily....but I do get the pressure of the loan window closing today.  I would only be bringing in a CM loan that I thought was on a par or better than JB and MP and personally I doubt there’s one of those in our budget.  Especially when Kalas who fits the bill perfectly in being on a par better than the rest of our CBs was stated to “not be a cheap option”.

It’ll be a day of rumours both in and out!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s onteresting with Walsh, because he’s already had his “men’s football loan” back in 15/16 when he had half a season at Yeovil. He’s almost 21 (in Sept), has played against Man City and a few others for us, and to some extent I would be questioning whether he’s gone backwards since arriving if we aren’t considering him to be next in line belong Brownhill, Pack and Smith (new injured).  If I was LW I would be excited by the potential opportunity ahead of me.  Going out on loan could be a lost opportunity at the club that thought highly enough of me to spend £1m 6 month’s ago.

I would be giving him up to January in Smith’s absence to convince me that I don’t need to look at the free transfer market.  At that point, LJ would know the likely return date for Smith, and can make a decision based on that.

Bringing in a CM loan today I would think is more about allowing Morrell to go out on loan, albeit give cover should anything happen to our main two.

It is a squad game, and LJ needs to be conscious not to burn out JB and MP.  That might mean Walsh getting minutes off the bench, the odd start....it might also mean Hegeler (if fit) or O’Dowda providing minutes in CM (maybe as a 3 or a 5) too.

We’ve got a squad, let’s not bloat it unnecessarily....but I do get the pressure of the loan window closing today.  I would only be bringing in a CM loan that I thought was on a par or better than JB and MP and personally I doubt there’s one of those in our budget.  Especially when Kalas who fits the bill perfectly in being on a par better than the rest of our CBs was stated to “not be a cheap option”.

It’ll be a day of rumours both in and out!

I really don’t think Walsh is Championship standard yet and think a loan would do him the world of good.  He needs regular 90 minutes under his belt to push on not 15 minutes here and there when the games already won.  Get him the right loan and he’ll be back and challenging for a starting place as he’s obviously got talent. He won’t get the minutes with us unless someone is injured.

I agree that we don’t need to bloat the squad and the Kalas example is spot on.  This is what annoys me about City.  Kalas on first impressions is better than any of the centre backs on our books, we sold the club to him, paid the loan fee and wages and got him.  Moved quick and got the job done.  We can do it when we want to and that’s brilliant but I really think this was out of desperation and a realisation that the back 4 didn’t look right, didn’t provide a platform for our attack minded players to do their thing and my feeling was it would have lead to a loss of confidence which given how last season ended must have been low and a relegation battle.

lets show some ambition 

We seem to have a good platform to build on now so why not look to do the same and attract a Kalas midfield equivalent.  Let’s not only spring into action at the fear of relegation but let’s use today to show that bit of ambition and move the team from hopefully a steady mid table finish to playoff contenders.

we have a good balance of youth, Championship experience and reasonable strength in depth.  If SL is really sincere when he says he expects improvement on last years league position let’s give the manager the final few tools needed to have a real good go. 

Almost forgot, please can we have another striker As well.......

Good post GZ.

I would have no probs if we could bring in a loan that would be a genuine starter to perm 2 from 3 with Pack and Brownhill.  Great if we can.  It’s if we bring in another Walsh for example, I would say “what’s the point” and be against it.  

The loans of Woodrow (even I admit this didn’t work, no matter my thoughts on his ability), Leko and Kent added little, and if you couple Diony into that group, you might also add that they can be disruptive to squad harmony too.  I’m worried about this.  I sense the squad is quite tight despite losing 3 core parts of that over the summer....and we are starting to see it work on the pitch too.

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good post GZ.

I would have no probs if we could bring in a loan that would be a genuine starter to perm 2 from 3 with Pack and Brownhill.  Great if we can.  It’s if we bring in another Walsh for example, I would say “what’s the point” and be against it.  

The loans of Woodrow (even I admit this didn’t work, no matter my thoughts on his ability), Leko and Kent added little, and if you couple Diony into that group, you might also add that they can be disruptive to squad harmony too.  I’m worried about this.  I sense the squad is quite tight despite losing 3 core parts of that over the summer....and we are starting to see it work on the pitch too.

I agree with your sentiment.  On first impressions Kalas proves that there are additions out there which will improve the starting 11 and offer quality cover for injuries and suspensions.  Whether SL has the enthusiasm and desire to sanction any such moves is open to debate.

I get frustrated as I feel we have a talented squad but without the luck of a injury/suspension free season legs will go and we will run out of steam again.   Surely  we can stretch the model being followed to add a couple of talented loans.

The high intensity game that LJ likes us to play is brilliant when we have confidence and fresh legs but impossible when you rely on the same players week in week out and last year with no plan B we simply ran ourselves to a halt.    Teams like Man City have the luxury of being able to rotate quality for quality. I think if everyone is playing well, at Championship level we can also do this in defence and out on the wings however depth in CM and attack is currently lacking IMO

I’m looking for a sign of intent from SL that I’m not simply being spun a sound bite each season

2 minutes ago, General Zod said:

I agree with your sentiment.  On first impressions Kalas proves that there are additions out there which will improve the starting 11 and offer quality cover for injuries and suspensions.  Whether SL has the enthusiasm and desire to sanction any such moves is open to debate.

I get frustrated as I feel we have a talented squad but without the luck of a injury/suspension free season legs will go and we will run out of steam again.   Surely  we can stretch the model being followed to add a couple of talented loans.

The high intensity game that LJ likes us to play is brilliant when we have confidence and fresh legs but impossible when you rely on the same players week in week out and last year with no plan B we simply ran ourselves to a halt.    Teams like Man City have the luxury of being able to rotate quality for quality. I think if everyone is playing well, at Championship level we can also do this in defence and out on the wings however depth in CM and attack is currently lacking IMO

I’m looking for a sign of intent from SL that I’m not simply being spun a sound bite each season

Injury and suspensions are both inevitable, which is partly why in my OP I was hoping for x2 on loan. 

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Will be disastrous if we dont bring anyone in.

Bit melodramatic.

It would be nice to sign someone but it's hardly a disaster if we don't. You don't just bring bodies in for the sake of it, it has to be the right player at the right price.

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Bit melodramatic.

It would be nice to sign someone but it's hardly a disaster if we don't. You don't just bring bodies in for the sake of it, it has to be the right player at the right price.

Would have thought at worse we would bring in cover for Korey

Archived