IGNORED

2008 play-off final - what if?

The Dolman Pragmatist

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

With Senior in charge we’d  have been relegated after one season with fewer points than the 18 Derby managed, regardless of the finances.

His one dimensional management style simply wouldn’t have been up to it. 

I've seen plenty of your posts that I've considered to be rubbish, but this one earns you a very special badge.

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

no we really didn't lansdown was worth 400 million then not 1.3 billion he is now,

I honestly thought it was more than that. Having looked it up, according to the times, it was 338 million.

I still believe we would have been able to compete in transfers with at least half the divison.

4 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

I've seen plenty of your posts that I've considered to be rubbish, but this one earns you a very special badge.

As you don’t like my posts then take the tip I gave you last time you got pissed off - simply put me on ignore.

Possibly the biggest what if moment in the clubs recent history, and it's still painful to think about.

I tend to think we'd have come straight back. Realistically, how many of that team could have cut it in the Premier League? Only Bradley Orr managed to establish himself at that level. Carey, Marvin Elliott and Noble might have given it a go but we probably would have needed to sign a whole new team to compete. Whether Johnson could have built such a team is doubtful in my eyes, given how in the next few years we regressed badly despite significant financial backing.

5 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Straight back down after 1 season because the squad wasn't anywhere near good enough. Then:

GJ is sacked after a poor start back in the Championship.

Millen performs well as caretaker but Lansdown hires Steve Coppell in an attempt to get straight back up.

Coppell gives up after a couple of matches because the job is harder than he thought. Millen gets the job permanently.

Millen signs Jon Stead and Brett Pitman but the team generally struggles. He's sacked and replaced by promising Scottish manager Derek McInnes.

McInnes signs half of Scotland before finding out that none of them are any good at football. He's sacked and replaced by Sean O'Driscoll.

City are relegated to League One.

Then what? 

6 hours ago, STeveOELlis said:

Because I believe we weren't ready. We would've gone up, then straight back down in a time of insignificant parachute payments, would've still been in debt to SL, would've faced back to back relegation after the majority of players leave, then SL would be less inclined to invest. Similar to Blackpool

With respect, I think that’s total rubbish.

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Just watched the highlights.  I’d forgotten just how much we dominated that game - my god, we should have won.  The list of ‘what ifs’ go on and on: if only Jamie McCombe hadn’t been taken ill (was he nobbled?); if only the medical team had spotted that Bradley was seriously injured and subbed him straight away; if only GJ had brought on Vasko and moved Louis to RB, leaving Marvin in midfield;  if only Trundle or Adebola had taken one of their numerous chances; if only we hadn’t frozen when it really mattered...

The one that sticks with me was Trundle firing over the bar from close range at our end.

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

With Senior in charge we’d  have been relegated after one season with fewer points than the 18 Derby managed, regardless of the finances.

Idiot.

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Feb 13 2006 you called Gary Johnson a Conference Manager and claimed..... "My prediction is that he'll take us down if he doesn't swallow his pride."

Well, here's a reminder of what happened:

April 2006 He was Manager of the Month.

We didn't get relegated.

March 2007 - He was Manager of the Month

That season he went 18 games unbeaten

May 5 2007 - He got us promoted to the Championship.

2007-2008 - We were top six for most of the season and reached the Play Offs.....and won through to the final.

He got us to within 90 minutes of the Premiership.

My point here is, you haven't got a ******* clue what you're talking about.

13 hours ago, cider-manc said:

I honestly thought it was more than that. Having looked it up, according to the times, it was 338 million.

I still believe we would have been able to compete in transfers with at least half the divison.

no i don't we could pay the fees perhaps but players wouldn't of come here, we'd of had to grab the best the championship had to offer,

8 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

My point here is, you haven't got a ******* clue what you're talking about.

My point is that it’s my opinion on Senior based of different elements other than his results.

Im quite aware that I’m in the minority with that view but  it’s old hat these days.and I can’t be arsed to regurgitate it all again.

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My point is that it’s my opinion on Senior based of different elements other than his results.

Im quite aware that I’m in the minority with that view but  it’s old hat these days.and I can’t be arsed to regurgitate it all again.

Apart from this thread 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

bitter and twisted still after he made a fool of you I see

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

It's quite sad that you've got a full time job talking bollox on this site. 

It's even worse the you take some kind of twisted pride in doing so.

The reason you are in the minority is because most other fans are much more intelligent.

44 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

With respect, I believe you're deluded

Brilliant. So what you're saying is I have a delusional belief that had we been promoted to the Premier League in 2008 we wouldn’t subsequently have been relegated to the conference.

Thats quite a niche delusion really isn’t it.

13 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

It's quite sad that you've got a full time job talking bollox on this site. 

It's even worse the you take some kind of twisted pride in doing so.

The reason you are in the minority is because most other fans are much more intelligent.

Thanks for that amateur  assessment RLL..............:laughcont:

1 minute ago, RedLionLad said:

You must be the most negative poster on this forum.

In fact, you could almost be a Gashead.

Ummm........from your comments I suspect that you’re not blessed the smartest mind and consequently lack the ability to accept other posters opinions.....

7 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

No mate, just yours.

Ok............that reinforces my suspicion that you lack the ability to accept the things you cannot change - namely my opinion of Senior.

That said, you’re not the only one that couldn’t see the woods for the trees.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ok............that reinforces my suspicion that you lack the ability to accept the things you cannot change - namely my opinion of Senior.

That said, you’re not the only one that couldn’t see the woods for the trees.

Your problem is, you still believe your opinion is right, even when proved wrong.

You are a Conference League poster playing in the Championship.

3 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Your problem is, you still believe your opinion is right, even when proved wrong.

You are a Conference League poster playing in the Championship.

Give up RLL. 

You're wasting your time. Brighter and more articulate posters than you have tried to convince me and failed, just as I have given up trying to convince others with my points about Senior.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Give up RLL. 

You're wasting your time. Brighter and more articulate posters than you have tried to convince me and failed, just as I have given up trying to convince others with my points about Senior.

Some of us didn't embarrass ourselves by making dumb comments about one of our most successful managers.

That title is all yours.

Archived