IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

21 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

That maybe a symptom but it's not the real problem, despite having the biggest budget by a country mile in the championship Robinson's tactics failed miserably in 2 play off's and he nearly blew it last season.

He is tactically inept and basically failed in every coaching role he has ever had.

if he survives todays loss it will be a poor decision by the owner IMHO.

I would like to see a change for sure. Don't know who they could get in at this stage. 

Today was easily the worst atmosphere I've ever seen at AG, possibly ever. It's not normally like that to be fair and if 3k city supporters were there then I didn't hear them once, even before kick off. 

Embarrassed to be a Bris supporter after that and it's not because of the product on the pitch although it doesn't help. 

Sad reading some of these comments though, support is needed more than ever. 

2 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Also regarding the atmosphere, I found the guy on the PA constantly trying to whip the crowd up cringeworthy.

Absolutely, smacked of desperation. I have been slaughtered by some on here for saying the same about Downsey, but this was just as bad if not worse as today's announcer was enouraging the crowd to 'make some noise Bristol' at almost every gap in play in the 2nd half. I attended every home match bar one this season, and every match bar one last season, and until today never heard him do this.

Also today I had the first real accepting that Bristol are doomed. I haven't seen them play so bad in a long time. A very poor game for any neutral or football fan taking a free ticket. We seemed to have no leaders, Henson went off injured again very early. We held Sale at bay but it really was only a question of time, we never looked like we got a grip on the game, never mind getting on top.

i don't know many players but always liked Peter Stringer when it was at Bath. He offered Sale so much more of an outlet today, even in his advancing years, more than anything our players could muster. Experience paid off today. Like we had to do last year for our football team, bring in experience at all costs, the rugby club have to do the same. But I gather it's not as easy as no transfer window etc, and who can we get to play in a relegation fight we look like we've lost already. Shocking to think Bristol are throwing away all the hard work of past seasons.

• Like 1

I'm so sad that Bristol Rugby appear to be run like City were in the dark days before relegation in 2013. No apparent plan for player recruitment or Academy progression. Since gaining promotion, Bris have signed too many "journeymen" and past it players.

They also have a problem in that there are so many injuries occurring all the time. i know that professional rugby is more demanding of the body than football, but that leads me to the thought that either the players are not fit enough for the task or are getting injured so regularly because they are too tense and not performing to the best in a relaxed way. Poor coaching?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rinkadink said:

Today was easily the worst atmosphere I've ever seen at AG, possibly ever. It's not normally like that to be fair and if 3k city supporters were there then I didn't hear them once, even before kick off. 

So what, city fans are responsible for creating an atmosphere for the rugby now??

ive been to a few rugby games over the past few years and the atmosphere is always crap unless it's an end of season play off game 

2 minutes ago, Rinkadink said:

To be fair to Slick (the PA guy ), I've never in I don't know how many years heard him do that before. 

Neither have I seen our support so shit either so evens out I guess? 

Agreed. It was by far the worse match for both things I have witnessed, sadly.

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm pleased I somehow managed to miss the promotional guff that would have allowed me a free ticket.

Usually I take advantage of the offer; but I'm far from annoyed that I missed it.

I'm glad that you did to be fair and I'm sorry to any City fans that came because it was a terrible advert for Bristol Rugby. 

Things can only improve from here I guess. 

4 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

"if 3k city supporters were there then I didn't hear them once, even before kick off."

I'm curious as to what this was supposed to mean then

It's pretty obvious if you read the thread? 

Not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, just the collective at AG today bar some stand out individuals who shouted and tried regardless. 

8 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

"if 3k city supporters were there then I didn't hear them once, even before kick off."

I'm curious as to what this was supposed to mean then

Me too/ I was bloody well joining in the two or three times there was any noise. Oh, and why can't Bristol fans be bothered to stand up to applaud the team on to the pitch at the start of the game then? I was about to, until I realised I'd be the only one in E30.

2 minutes ago, Rinkadink said:

It's pretty obvious if you read the thread? 

Not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, just the collective at AG today bar some stand out individuals who shouted and tried regardless. 

Then maybe you should have worded it....

"if 14k supporters were there then I didn't hear them once, even before kick off."

sorry for being a pedant 

• Like 2

I found the whole occasion quite depressing tbh. No passion on the pitch apart from Lemi and Hurrell and even less in the stands. Most people by me in E29 weren't even watching the game, just chatting. When the team needed the support to lift them, nothing at all.

I felt there was a resignation to defeat tbh.

The only positive thing was a Bath supporting mate came with me and the stadium blew him away.

I won't be going again.

Edited by 8menhadadream
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, RedM said:

Absolutely, smacked of desperation. I have been slaughtered by some on here for saying the same about Downsey, but this was just as bad if not worse as today's announcer was enouraging the crowd to 'make some noise Bristol' at almost every gap in play in the 2nd half. I attended every home match bar one this season, and every match bar one last season, and until today never heard him do this.

Also today I had the first real accepting that Bristol are doomed. I haven't seen them play so bad in a long time. A very poor game for any neutral or football fan taking a free ticket. We seemed to have no leaders, Henson went off injured again very early. We held Sale at bay but it really was only a question of time, we never looked like we got a grip on the game, never mind getting on top.

i don't know many players but always liked Peter Stringer when it was at Bath. He offered Sale so much more of an outlet today, even in his advancing years, more than anything our players could muster. Experience paid off today. Like we had to do last year for our football team, bring in experience at all costs, the rugby club have to do the same. But I gather it's not as easy as no transfer window etc, and who can we get to play in a relegation fight we look like we've lost already. Shocking to think Bristol are throwing away all the hard work of past seasons.

Strings is class. Still the second best Irish scrum half at his age. I wish he was still in Munster.

Agree that Bristol had no leaders, no direction from half backs, totally aimless kicking and they knocked on or took the wrong option almost every time in the Sale 22. As poor a performance as I've seen.

• Like 1

I've heard it said by others but having one song "briiiissssttttooool' doesn't exactly set the atmosphere to red hot. I got the impression that most supporters were resigned to defeat from the first minute.

I know little about the game tactically but the kicking was pretty awful. Always predictably straight to the Sale back. No variety and nothing for the Bristol forwards to chase.

The whole rugby union game is suffering from broken play. Teams like Bristol can't keep possession long enough to maintain momentum. Even when the clock is ticking down there is so much dead time. Another atmosphere killer.

I can't see how the club can hold onto Hurrell, he was the only stand out player for me.

And as for kicking the first 6 points from two penalties that were 10 yards from touch, that said that Bristol knew they weren't good enough to break the Sale line.

I enjoyed the afternoon but it wouldn't encourage me to go back.

Edited by Xiled
  • Like 1

I don't like Rugby. I've been before and it's just not my cup of tea, however, let's not judge the experience on the match itself. 

How many Rugby fans would return if they'd used our game v Blackburn as a measure..? And we won!

Forget the game itself. I ignored the performance and result when I went. I just didn't like the pretensions, middle class, non edgy feel of the whole contest. 

Football is a million times better in my opinion, probably for all the reasons that Rugby fans dislike it! 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Always amusing when people call rugby "egg chasing" like they've just thought of it and it hasn't been said ten billion times before. 

I call it Egg chasing because it's very apt, not because I think it's clever. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Interesting. Shades of our 2015 summer then? (without wanting to open that can of worms again!)

Apologies if already touched upon but the cards are really stacked against an upcoming championship team. Because they do not know they are promoted until after the playoffs they are so far behind in preparing to try to deal with the gulf. Any player that's good enough is likely snapped up long before the playoffs are over and really are not holding out to see who gets promoted. The reason upcoming sides find it so difficult is because of this and the gulf in class. It really is nigh on impossible but for a few exceptions. The Aviva Premiership is a de facto closed shop. 

Edited by Guest

I used my free ticket today and, have to say, it was over priced. Bristol only have two problems - can't score and can't defend. Apart from that everything is OK. Even though it was great having a relaxing pint whilst watching the match, it was an awful experience. It was like watching the rugby equivalent of one of SoD's teams on a really bad day. I felt sorry for the regular Bristol supporters as the team looks doomed. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Always amusing when people call rugby "egg chasing" like they've just thought of it and it hasn't been said ten billion times before. 

I don't find it amusing at all but I do find it amusing when somebody has to post that they've seen it ten billion times before, now that is amusing. 

• Like 1